News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1k Tournament list -- suggestions?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
1k Tournament list -- suggestions?
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:38:41 AM »
Got a local 1K tournament coming up this weekend with some oddball restrictions.

Minimum 3 Troops choices (this is normal with the TO, usually it's a fixed point %).
No Fortifications
No Lords of War
Maximum 1 Flyer/FMc (one or the other, not one of both)
All units must be from the same Faction.
Forgeworld is allowed.

Additionally, each round is an hour and a half.

Here's what I've come up with:

Lord Commissar - 85pts
Carapace Armor, Power Axe

Vet Squad - 201pt
Plasmagun, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Boltgun, Krak Grenades
Carapace Armour, Chimera (with camo netting and heavy flamer)

Vet Squad - 200pt
Plasmagun, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Krak Grenades

Vet Squad - 200pt
Plasmagun, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Krak Grenades

Leman Russ Punisher - 163pts
Dozer Blade, Camo Netting, Relic Plating, Heavy Flamer

Avenger Strike Fighter - 150pts
Ground attack plane from Imperial Armour: Aeronautica (yes, I have the model).

------------------

It's a classy Armored Fist-style list at a low points value. Everyone packs into the transports and plan A is to keep all three transports together, attempting to slag everything. Each squad is flexible and the flamer provides some clutch assault defense or a choice for taking out nearby infantry. Krak grenades let the squad have a prayer of hurting anything.

The camo netting is pretty good at keeping things alive if I pop smoke or hide behind a wall. I've been playing with it lately, and I have been very impressed with it.

Looking at dropping the Dozer blade on the Punisher to take relic plating on two more Chimeras.

I'm hoping for a 5/6 on the AM warlord trait table, so I can give orders.

The Avenger is the A-10 of the 40K universe. In a pinch, it can sub in for a Vendetta at a discount (and is better at killing MEQ infantry than the 'detta is).

I've shied away from an infantry list for time reasons--full infantry lists take a lot longer to deploy and move around the table. I'd rather spend my time making tactical decisions than shuffling models around.

EDIT: And some pictures!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:02:45 PM by LoH »
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
Re: 1k Tournament list -- suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »
Wouldn't it be better to have 1 flamer squad, 1 plasma squad and 1 melta squad as the squad has to shoot at the same target? You're putting all eggs in one basket I know, but it would make you're shooting more efficient.

Maybe keep one HB on one chimera for long range shooting?

Your pretty limited on anti-flyer. The only other option I can think of is the sabre defence platforms which are cheap (point wise not dollars wise).

Have you got HB sponsons on the LR?
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
Re: 1k Tournament list -- suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to have 1 flamer squad, 1 plasma squad and 1 melta squad as the squad has to shoot at the same target? You're putting all eggs in one basket I know, but it would make you're shooting more efficient.

Maybe keep one HB on one chimera for long range shooting?

Your pretty limited on anti-flyer. The only other option I can think of is the sabre defence platforms which are cheap (point wise not dollars wise).

Have you got HB sponsons on the LR?

1) Not only would I be putting all my eggs in one basket, I'd be simplifying my opponent's target selection. Also, I'm using heavy flamers (which are one per squad), and Chimeras don't have enough fire points to make that worthwhile.

2) The HB is simply not worth it as a hull mount on a Chimera. If I'm doing "long range" (lol) shots with the HB, I'm either snap firing or not moving (and the squad isn't likely to be shooting in those situations). Given that I'm likely to hit once every other turn with the HB when snap-firing, I'd rather take the flamer hits if/when they become available. In a larger list, I'd probably pack in 3 techpriests and 3 PPs to ride along in the Chimeras to give PoTMS for more dakka.

3) The Avenger has a pile of S6 shots and a couple S9. The Punisher is also reasonable for getting a few hits on airborne targets by itself. Taking Sabres would require that I take an Infantry Platoon, and the changes to Skyfire/Interceptor mean that the Sabres are stuck on anti-flyer duty.

4) No points for it. Also, the Punisher is generally likely to be close enough to be able to use the flamer most of the time anyway.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!