News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Deathstrike  (Read 7585 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Deathstrike
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »
Anyone actually have a Deathstrike launcher out there? I've been thinking for a while now to pick one up (my only other armoured vehicles are Hydras) merely due to the sheer ridiculousness of the concept. A fun piece rather than a list winner. It's hard to go past an ICBM fired during a table top game, especially at point blank.

So, anyone?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Anarchic Guardsman

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard
Re: Deathstrike
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
The scatter and one shot are putting me off. Would be keen to know how they perform for others however. If it hits it surely will get its points back but its a risk.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:43 PM »
Not too worried about getting its payback, more about how its been used. Firing an ICBM in your own backyard is just begging for collateral damage after all.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »
Been so long since I've played with the relevant units in one game but is there anything stopping you from using a psyker to cast prescience on the Deathstrike? That could solve the issue of potential collateral damage.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »
I have a friend with a scratchbuilt missile. It's even sillier-looking than the GW model (about 2 chimeras long). He doesn't bring it out much, but has one because the Guard must have the biggest boom.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »
I've seen a few scratch build ones in pictures. Making the missile like more like a Minuteman rather than a Scud. Some better than others.

He doesn't bring it out much, but has one because the Guard must have the biggest boom.

Precisely.

Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:20:16 PM »
Been so long since I've played with the relevant units in one game but is there anything stopping you from using a psyker to cast prescience on the Deathstrike? That could solve the issue of potential collateral damage.

I believe there is nothing stopping you from doing this, but since you have to pass a roll to fire it in the first place, and Prescience would have to be cast before rolling (since you roll when you want to fire it), you could end up wasting a cast of Prescience sometimes when it fails to fire.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:15:36 PM »
I always thought people would take a trio of Deathstrikes in 5th edition as a cheese list. In this edition I think it is possibly a more powerful trick seeing as you can still get plenty of Leman Russ tanks and the like, plus Primaris Psykers using Prescience on them. Not that missing is realistic with a 10" blast marker!

One of these goes off and you'll lose the game the majority of the time.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »
I have a poorly assembled scratch built Deathstrike missile (and rack) that I would bring out for fun every once in a while. For the most part in 5th, it rarely fired. The idea of what it could do seemed more frightening to my opponents. When it did go off, the random blast diameter and poor accuracy usually put it just barely where I wanted it, but those things it hit sure stayed dead.

Now that it is easier to fire, I will definitely be throwing it out there just because it is too damn fun of an idea. Also I have had a Manticore/Deathstrike model since it came out and have yet to unwrap the plastic on it...this makes what to build it into a little more difficult then last edition.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 02:05:19 AM »
Yes. A freind of mine uses three, so the new codex has sent him into fits of manaical laughter, as you might imagine.

Previously he used a wall of conscripts with chenkov that he'd sacrifice over and over again to buy time to launch the nukes - chenkov may have gone, but he realistically only has to buy one or two turns now.

plus, he's happy about the blast - being able to use a template is just easier, and it helps prevent any repeat of "incompetence thursday", where he successfully missed the enemy completely with two deathstrike missiles in a row...
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
Last night I was able to try out the Deathstrike against a friend using my own Necrons against me (I was trying out an Armored Company style list). The missile fired on turn 2 and was able to wipe out 19 Necron Warriors, finish the Destroyer Lord, and penetrate and immobilize a Ghost Ark. The huge blast diameter is fantastic along with the other stats and special rules of the missile.

After that though where I had it parked was a problem because I couldn't move it without moving the rest of my artillery that surrounded it. The idea was to push it forward, firing off the Heavy Bolter, going for Tank Shocks, and other annoyances for the enemy. Against a different army that doesn't move as a phalanx, I'm not sure if the one shot would have done enough damage when compared to say a regular Battle Tank which could in theory fire all game, or a Manticore which could still hide behind buildings and do multiple turns worth of damage.

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:54:39 PM »
An interesting RAW tactic Ive seen thrown around and hotly debated with the deathstrike:
Bring it on from reserves, moving it should mean it cannot fire.... have a Tech Priest waiting to give it Power of the machine spirit.... wording of machine spirit means you can fire it as soon as it comes on.
Hats off to the internet for something so broken again....

Id say if it did anything... it would let you roll to see if it can fire without neg modifiers the turn it comes on... which still means your probably going to get it off the turn it comes on anyway...
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 03:15:35 AM »
I wouldn't read it that way myself. POTMS allows you to fire one additional weapon at your normal BS.

The DS missile cannot fire directly so in essence you are not firing it at your full BS as you cannot subtract your BS.

Additionally, codex rules trump rule book rules and the codex says you can't fire the weapon if you've moved. You can still fire one extra weapon at your full BS (ie your heavy bolter and a stubber if you give it that), but not the DS missile.

Although I do like keeping it in reserve as if its in reserve it hasn't moved and therefore you get +1 for all the turns its in reserve - the rules doesn't say it has to not move in play.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »
You're half right on that. True the rule doesn't say it has to be motionless in play but it does say it's +1 for consecutive turns having not moved and you must move to enter the board.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
After talking it over with the local crowd it looks like I'll certainly be picking one up but only the one. For the laughs and evils as I don't expect it to do all that much other than a tense dice roll with it comes to each launch time. Pictures when I get it and get around to it.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Semaj__14

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
I wouldn't read it that way myself. POTMS allows you to fire one additional weapon at your normal BS.

The DS missile cannot fire directly so in essence you are not firing it at your full BS as you cannot subtract your BS.

Additionally, codex rules trump rule book rules and the codex says you can't fire the weapon if you've moved. You can still fire one extra weapon at your full BS (ie your heavy bolter and a stubber if you give it that), but not the DS missile.

Although I do like keeping it in reserve as if its in reserve it hasn't moved and therefore you get +1 for all the turns its in reserve - the rules doesn't say it has to not move in play.
I picked up 3 when the coedex droped just for giggles. Now im debating on weather or not the whole Techpriest thing is valid or not. It certainly seems like it should be.

1. Why wouldnt you be able to subtract your BS from the shot if you do have line of sight? it doesnt say anything about not being able to do as such.
2. You are firing the deathstrike you just have to roll to see if it launches
3. Pots Says that you may fire one weapon that you Normaly wouldnt be able to fire
I think thats exactly what this is. a weapon you normaly wouldnt be able to fire.
Of course if potms disregarded its ability to move and fire, then it would also disregard its ability to fire player turn 1. Potential First turn nuking anyone?

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:04 PM »

1. Why wouldnt you be able to subtract your BS from the shot if you do have line of sight? it doesnt say anything about not being able to do as such.
2. You are firing the deathstrike you just have to roll to see if it launches
3. Pots Says that you may fire one weapon that you Normaly wouldnt be able to fire
I think thats exactly what this is. a weapon you normaly wouldnt be able to fire.
Of course if potms disregarded its ability to move and fire, then it would also disregard its ability to fire player turn 1. Potential First turn nuking anyone?

1. Page 60 - The DS can't fire directly.
2. Page 53 - the codex states quite clearly you can't launch it on the turn it moves. POTMS does not affect this rule.
3. Page 53 - the codex states quite clearly you cannot launch it on the first turn. POTMS does not affect this rule.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline Semaj__14

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 12:08:06 PM »
Well. I suppose that answers everything. I take back what I said.

Post Merge: April 26, 2014, 08:28:00 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

aand I'm back after consulting with my friend.

1, Where does not being able to direct fire the weapon say that you don't use your ballistic skill? Doesn't that just mean you cant fire it in the 0-12" Range?

2.And 3. Power of the machine spirit says exactly That. "You may Fire a weapon That "WOULDNT NORMALY BE ABLE TO FIRE" ( See I used caps this time instead of italics to get my point across)
This weapon under "Normal circumstances" Would not be able to fire first turn or if it moves,
You however have a guy who you can also buy that can Bestow it with a USR that lets you do this.
It's very very obvious, and not even a stretch or anything, Vehicles rules say "It can not", Special mechanic guy comes along and says "Yes You can Cause Im good with machines like that"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:34:27 PM by Semaj__14 »

Offline D503

• 老外来了!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
I have one.

I use it in friendly games often, and the rules have actually got better for it now.  It's never won me a game... It's never even made it's points back, and one game it actually scattered so far it only killed guardsman Marbo (RIP, Marbo)

But these things matter not.  We are playing with toy soldiers after all, and taking a death strike does get everyone in the shop watching your table with one eye waiting for you to actually get to fire it, and when you do.... the whole shop watches.

That is worth the fact that taking it may well lose you the game  :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:30:31 AM by D503 »

Offline Semaj__14

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 10:45:23 AM »
I have one.
height=450]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Keithbudd/Redemptionists/3e9486be1fca77f1b308796cd15c772f.jpg[/img][/URL]

My goodness! That is a remarkably genious use of the rest of the bits that come in the kit!