News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 pt. 501st Etheran  (Read 927 times)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
2000 pt. 501st Etheran
« on: November 21, 2007, 01:31:42 AM »
Alright guys, I've made me a test 2,000 point list. And for some odd reason, I've been feeling schizophrenic lately and kept screwing around with the list until it ended up with this bland abomination, yay! Regardless, despite my lack of consistency in the process of Army List making, I would like any and all criticism.

Please and Thank you.
Try not to be too mean, I'm sensitive...So lie if you have to :)

Doctrines   
Priest
Iron Discipline
Close Order Drill
Veterans

HQ 
Heroic Sr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline, Bolt Pistol
Veteran - Standard Bearer, Close Combat Weapon
Commissar - Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
Priest - Eviscerator, Carapace Armor   
Sentinel - Lascannon

264 pt.

Elites
10 Veterans - 3 Melta Guns, Power Weapon.
Chimera - Multilaser, Heavy Bolter

10 Veterans - 3 Melta Guns, Power Weapon.
Chimera - Multilaser, Heavy Bolter

410 pt.

Troops

Jr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline
Guardsman - Plasma Gun
Guardsman - Plasma Gun

10 Guardsmen - AutoCannon, Flamer
10 Guardsmen - Heavy Bolter, Flamer

Jr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline
Guardsman - Plasma Gun
Guardsman - Plasma Gun

10 Guardsmen - AutoCannon, Flamer

606 pt.

Fast Attack
Sentinel - Lascannon
Sentinel - Lascannon

HellHound

225 pt.

Heavy Support
Leman Russ - 3x Heavy Bolters
Leman Russ - 3x Heavy Bolters
Demolisher - Lascannon, Plasma Cannons

495 pt.

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
Re: 2000 pt. 501st Etheran
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 04:00:35 AM »
Actually thats a very solid well rounded list. There are few things I would change about it that wouldnt be a simple matter of personal preference.

I'd find room for an honorifica, either by replacing your HSO with a JO and honorifica to save a few points or by finding the points to give one of your Hardened Vet Sgts one or something.

I dont know if I'd bother giving the Priest Carapace Armour. I suppose it doesnt do much harm but there doesnt seem to be alot of point.

I would try to find the points to give the HQ at least one special weapon. The squad appears geared for close combat/counter assault, so with that in mind I would choose a flamer.

The elites are pretty good. due to the fact that theyre using meltas I would definately give the chimeras smoke and armour to ensure that they keep rolling towards the enemy. I'd also consider finding the points for powerfists for the Vet Sgts.

I would try to fit a medic into your platoon HQ's as they are using Plasmas. Alternatively I would give your platoon HQ's the line squads flamers and give the line squads the plasmas - this way the line squads have a special weapon that can match the range and strength of their heavy weapon and the platoon HQ's can becaome effective counter assault units.

Hellhounds are nice and I cant complain at the russes. You seem to have a good balance between anti tank and anti troop firepower.

"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:31:42 AM »
Thanks for the help, I'll definitely work it into my list.

But I have a question, do I really need that Demolisher, or should I put a Basilisk in its place?

The Demolisher makes the perfect anti-heavy infantry Deep-Strike doucebags, while the Basilisk has superior range and Indirect Fire. It would also be cutting back 4 AP2 Weapons, so I'm a little torn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 02:37:57 AM »
It really is a matter of personal preference.

Strictly speaking the Demolisher is the harder hitting and tougher unit, but its also the most expensive and the Basilisk has all of the advantages you talk about. My personal choice would be the Demolisher but you really have to ask yourself what you want.
"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 02:42:00 AM »
I guess I would have to try them both out and see which one ends up saving my ass more. :P

Though, I would love to see a bunch of Terminators purged off the board in one go.  ;D

Offline Angels Purgatus

• Neophyte
  • Fall beneath the feet of the Imperium.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »
I'd do a basilisk.  You have enough low AP weapons around that deep strikers will pay for getting to close.  Additionally, taking a basilisk denies the enemy a big juicy target for their anti tank guns. 

Take this with a grain of salt because I've never had a demolisher, but its due to the above reasons.  Several times now, chaos terminators have teleported in front of me only to get killed by line squads and a heavy weapon battery.
Kaag VII Veterans (IG) 5th edition record:
  W/D/L - 5 / 4 / 5

"...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before the holy choir of thy guns. The honorless xenos will flee at the sight of thee. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy righteous sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes, Commander of the 183rd Kaagan Rifles