Weird Eldar song...

Started by Athenys Manan, June 21, 2003, 09:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice

Quote from: Athenys on June 24, 2003, 05:51:47 PM
It is one of the languages invented by Professor J.R.R. Tolkien of Lord Of The Rings Fame. He was so anal-retentive he invented whole languages for virtually all of the races he created. Eowyn spoke Rohirric, Celeborn spoke Sindarin, and Galadriel spoke both Noldor and Tellerin. However the language spoken by the Valar and the elves that dwelt with them in Valinor was Quenya or 'High Elvish'.
In Other words its probably just as geeky as any form of Star Trek Languages, its just the guy who made it was a professor :P
I excrete awesome, and I don't care about your Homebrew rules.

Athenys Manan

Hmm Tolkien might qualify as one, albeit more scholarly than Rodenberry...It's all relative though  ;). Think about it this way, if you weren't a geek like the rest of us you wouldn't be an EO member ;D!

Vice

I'm a geek, i'm not an uber geek :P

Falchu

Weird song it fries my brain!  

I like it  ;D
"I'm not regret"

GO TEAM GEKIGANGER!!!

I thought i was weak, but I think I'm Cleopatra too.

Addinarr

I'm kinda inclined to agree with Vice. The melody was good, but the fact it sounded like one long "ooh" sound with some variances kinda turns me off.

I've never studied Quenya of course, but....well, what exactly were you saying?

When wrong, to be made right.
When right, to be kept right.

Athenys Manan

I'ts an adaptation of an elvish lament:

The sorrow of the firstborn
is that all they love must die
The tree of spirit-jewels waits for me
Time whithers all about us, but my kind
it passes by.

When shall my own be hung upon the tree?
When shall my own be hung upon the tree?

Now I alone remain to mourn and count the cost
The tree of spirit-jewels waits for me
Of every life that fades and every soul that's lost

Who shall hang my own upon the tree?
Who shall hang my own upon the tree?

Because most people are so unfamiliar with Quenya and apparently don't like the way it's pronounced  ::), I decided to replace that song with a much shorter song in actual 40K Eldarish:

http://home.earthlink.net/~aloerasprint/Music/Eldarsong.mp3

It means:

How does one greet the Master Mime?  
I would like to see it in the future  
Guardians of the song of the Laughing God  

I am in front of you  
He stands above you  
The great thing towers above and behind me  

Vice

Quote from: Athenys on June 25, 2003, 06:15:47 PMBecause most people are so unfamiliar with Quenya and apparently don't like the way it's pronounced  ::)
I Dont see the point in becoming familiar with it. It is a fictional language and will never help you in anything more then possibly.... erm.... well you could probably make a book and sell it or something. The effort and time put into learning it would be much better put to Drop Kicking old ladies, Being a Pirate, or learning a real language.

Master of Puppets

Mmmm, drop-kcking old people....

fai'isscah

mmh...the first one was waaaaaaay better.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

DyingToLive