News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348544 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #540 on: December 13, 2015, 07:13:06 PM »
Stunning work once again Cavalier!  :)

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #541 on: December 14, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »
a most brilliant idea to add the chevrons.
Frankly I have looked at your models so often I had gotten a bit weary. I really think the chevrons work nicely in loosening up the scheme and adding in an interesting note to the red/gold. Excellent choice. (besides myself doing something similar on the red parts of my Eldar army  ;D )
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #542 on: December 14, 2015, 02:04:01 PM »
@Ibushi- Thanks man. I try to make a point of adding kill markers and battle honors. My Wraithknight is certainly all decked out with about 5 kill markings and the Sword of Asuryan battle honors. As for the Warp Hunter and the Hornets here are some pics showing them.

The Warp Hunter's battle honors all came from before the IA:Apoc nerfing but he was a murder machine and will be again with the new rules.

He's considered the squadron leader and I'd have to check the model but he's got kill markings on the other side.

I think you could get some really sick kill markings from the Dark Eldar sheet... very Japanese inspired design for the actual runes while the Crossed knives, bleeding hearts, snakes with poison dripping from their fangs would look great with your guys.

As for the Void Shield Generator I actually saw a great tutorial on weathering by WintersSEO's youtube channel (drop pods) and am going to make a new VSG using that technique. I've got all the bits ready to go except for the Shuriken Cannon bits. Only have 2 left so when I pick up my next Jetbike kit I will be good to go!

As for the Balestrike Band yeah I'm really looking forward to getting these guys going. Definitely going to Skyburner Coterie. As for representing Brace of Pistols I will represent it from time to time to mix-up the poses but certainly not on every model. The Shuriken Pistols are so wonky to include on a model unless he's actually holding one, as they don't lay flat on the legs and are actually quite bulky. I have got about a million Splinter Pistols though which will be used!  As always thanks man!

@Tangi- Thanks bud glad you are digging them!

@Murgel- Thanks man! Yeah it was about time I started adding vehicle markings to my squads. It was very nerve wracking hitting these puppies with a can of primer after all this time. I won't skimp on vehicle markings again as re-touching them is very nerve wracking even after the primer has been applied! Been thinking about weathering them as well... I've been experimenting with a spare Falcon hull and it looks really good. I'm gonna paint up the whole thing and then decide. BTW you mentioned your own Eldar army... got any pics to share? I'm always interested in seeing what other Eldar players are doing... I'm the only one in my neck of the woods!

@Everbody- Well got the second Dark Lancer modeled up and the Felarch as well, though he may end up getting shifted to a Voidstorm Squad when I get another Corsair kit.

Anyways guys I will be back with some updates once this unit gets some paint on it. Also the Hornets are nearly finished being re-furbished. All the chevrons have been cleaned up just gotta retouch the highlights and do some touch-up on the undercarriage as well. Anyway stay-tuned and see you guys soon!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #543 on: December 14, 2015, 06:32:01 PM »
that is some scary looking weaponry. Would love to see the whole thing come together.

I'm glad you like the corsairs so much!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #544 on: December 15, 2015, 10:50:26 PM »
Very cool. I can't wait for the rules so I can start using corsairs. I've started getting models together for my kit bashing and will use some of your ideas.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #545 on: December 16, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »
@Vonny- Thanks Vonny. Yes those Dark Lances sure are imposing. I've been saving them for years... I had thought about chopping them up for scenery and I'm sure glad I didn't. Its so sad though... poor Dark Eldar Scourges have had access to them for ages and never been able to use them worth a damn. Kudos to FW for actually taking there time with stuff. Everything they put out is instantly playable from the fluffiest, most low-powered meta to the ultra competitive. They certainly are on a roll.

@Dread- Welcome to the wild side!  ;D ;D ;D My advice to you is to pop on ebay and pick-up a batch of Wych Legs and DE heads of any variety. For about $20 bucks it radically changes the look of your models. A single Dark Eldar Warrior box-set goes an incredibly long way as well. Can't wait to see what you cook up and make sure you share it with us!!!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #546 on: December 18, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »
Hey guys managed to basecoat my new Balestrike squad and they look good! The casting on these Corsair heads was not the best but my filing skills have improved and I was able to clean them up very nicely.

Man I'm really excited to try this unit out... they are so FREAKING cheap! The upgrades for them are insanely cheap too... the cost of upgrading to Felarch is less than a Guardsmen! Also I'll be able to pop my counts-as Hawks in this unit to bump up the body count for ablative wounds to protect my lances which is really nice. I can also take the Felarchs and combine them into a Voidstorm Squad (close-combat Corsair Reavers) which is also cool. Man its gonna be so easy to mix-and-match units to try things out. Really well done to FW they really nailed this codex. I've got some great new army list ideas... some very powerful concepts but with great flexibility and maintaining my Eldar close-combat theory-hammer mission. Anyway stay tuned guys more to come!

Edit: Apropos of nothing.... got invited to play on Scorpion82's channel by James today. Greatest 40k honor ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double post merged, as it wasn't a significant enough update as per the forum rules on double posting to stand alone.  The all seeing eyes of 40K Online will see edits to posts ;) - Iris.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:25:50 PM by Irisado »

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #547 on: December 22, 2015, 05:19:53 PM »
Awesome dude, looking forward to seeing the Corsairs rocking their stuff!!

Haha you are becoming quite the 40k celeb!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #548 on: December 23, 2015, 07:18:26 PM »
The attention to detail on your vehicles is outstanding.  The thing that I've grown to enjoy most about following this blog is how much you enjoy painting and modelling.  As someone who could never get into it, it makes me happy to see that others do enjoy that side of the game :).  Your Eldar army is certainly one of the best painted that I've ever come across in my time on this forum.

Apropos of nothing.... got invited to play on Scorpion82's channel by James today. Greatest 40k honor ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A far more dubious greater honour was conferred on you by this very forum a while back ;).  I'm not so sure that you've realised though.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #549 on: December 24, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »
@Ibushi- Me too buddy can't wait to rock some games. Reading IA11 planning games right now for the campaign. As for being a 40k celeb... I called my agent and asked him to get GW to fly me out to the UK to play Scorp... but no reply... yet!  ;D ;D ;D lol

@Irisado- Thank you very much Irisado. I really do love making my new units, a lot of credit goes to the environment where I got into 40k though. My store owner was a Golden Demon winner, no unpainted models rules was in permanently in effect at the store, and the other players had HUGE fully painted armies. So thats always the standard I have in mind. Ah those halcyon days of 2nd edition glory.

A far more dubious greater honour was conferred on you by this very forum a while back ;).  I'm not so sure that you've realised though.

Arghhh! What do you mean? Did something happen again like when I got my awesome new title (my equally awesome all-time 40k honor BTW) and didn't realize it for like a million years? Please tell me! I'm so freaking clueless when it comes to the forums! :-[

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #550 on: December 24, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »

Arghhh! What do you mean? Did something happen again like when I got my awesome new title (my equally awesome all-time 40k honor BTW) and didn't realize it for like a million years? Please tell me! I'm so freaking clueless when it comes to the forums! :-[
I know it may seem cruel, but we take great pleasure in watching the clueless trying to figure this one out.  Take some time and really look over everything.  We can't tell you what you are looking for though, that spoils our fun.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #551 on: December 26, 2015, 11:50:57 AM »
@Irisado & GML - It is all too cruel! Yet I think I may have figured it out, but could be mistaken... is it the Lazerous Penguin!? I have no idea what it means but I do have a cool icon because of it! Please let me know if I guessed right and also what it means regardless! ;D ;D ;D

@Everyone- Well from mystery to more familiar territory: Eldar Corsairs! So I managed to finish one of my Balestrike Band and I'm happy with how he came out. I'm really going to take my time with these guys give them proper squad markings, give the Felarch a special glyph on his helmet and even a freehanded "Kill-Badges" like the one I did on the Dark Lance which came out nicely. Very happy with how he came out overall and can't wait to continue on with the rest of the squad.

Also.... it ARRIVED!

I'm going to do a review on the book and post it here on the p-log with thoughts on the campaign, the missing missions the Mymeara Battle-Host, the Pale Courts, the Formations and of course the Corsair army list. I will also begin updating you guys on preparations to run the actual campaign because we need a lot of terrain, fortifications and even.... more Super Heavies (!) to pull it off which will all be addressed in the near future.

So anyway I hope I have solved the mystery of my dubious/awesome honor and I hope you guys stay-tuned and Merry Christmas everybody!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #552 on: December 26, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
@Irisado & GML - It is all too cruel! Yet I think I may have figured it out, but could be mistaken... is it the Lazerous Penguin!? I have no idea what it means but I do have a cool icon because of it! Please let me know if I guessed right and also what it means regardless! ;D ;D ;D

It's to do with that, yes.  There's more to it than just the title though, as it's a membergroup ;).

I really like the pose and feel of movement on that model.  You've captured the grace of an Eldar warrior using a heavy weapon.  The paint scheme is as excellent as always :).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #553 on: December 28, 2015, 07:21:14 AM »
@Irisado- Thank you very much Irisado. I'm glad I figured out the mystery and I'm glad you like my newest model. I'm really loving painting these guys and with a big playable army completely finished I can take my time with my new units and make sure they are just the way I want them, and learn some new techniques along the way like doing little symbols and what-not. BTW I'd love to see some of your models if you ever feel the inclination! I've always wondered what your army looked like!

@Everyone- Hey guys well I decided to do a review of IA:11 v.2 So welcome to the first of my Doom of Mymeara review articles. I'm going to start with the Corsair army list before moving on to the rest of the book. This series is more of a "preview" than a review as I've not had any experience with the new units. It'll be all theory for awhile, yet as the games pile up I will ammend these articles before posting them in the Corsair section of the forum. So anyway lets begin!

Imperial Armor 11: Doom of Mymeara 2nd Edition Review

Initial Impressions- Before breaking down the actual army list and its FOC I thought it'd be good to touch on my impressions on the Eldar Corsairs as an army. Simply put, they are extremely good. They have incredible speed, maneuverability and versatility. They feature tons of blistering fire power, access to tons of exotic weapon choices on almost every unit and more methods of deployment and delivery than any other army in the game. Their weaknesses would most notably be their fragility and lack of high-powered assault which will certainly be a foil to them. Also they boast fantastic psychic powers, but their perils chart is something to behold as multiple results basically turn the psyker against his own unit/army and even put the character in control by your opponent!

The infantry wing of the army deals death by a thousand cuts, while armored support is capable of delivering knockout blows like few other armies. The Eldar Corsairs in my opinion are right up there near the top echelons in the world of 40k. While certainly lacking the raw power of Dark Angels, Necrons, Craftworld Eldar, their ability to specialize entire swaths of the army and equip them with top-flight weaponry and deploy them across the tabletop in almost every way conceivable will enable them to go toe-to-toe with any army in the game.

Eldar Corsairs Force Organization

Commentary-  Eldar Corsairs can be run using a Combined Arms Detachment, or Unbound just like any other army. Running them in a single CAD is a direct and simplified way of running this rather exotic army and give you access to their full complement of FOC slots. However they also have access to a second FOC akin to the Harlequin Masque known as the Corsair Raiding Company which offers TREMENDOUS benefits.  Besides some limitations in the number of FOC slots the only requirement for the Raiding Company is two mandatory HQ selections which is hardly a bother considering how cheap, versatile and effective the Corsair HQ options are. You then have 2 more troops, 2 Elites, 2 Fast Attacks, a single Heavy slots and a single LOW slots. The trade off being the incredible Coterie Specilizations which the primary Company and its optional Coteries can choose at no additional cost, granting them powerful Universal Special Rules that enable them to specialize in a specific battle-field role, whether it be tank busting, assassinating enemy characters or deep-striking reserve specialists. More on this later.

Corsair Raiding Company FOC-Structure

0-1 Command Crew (Optional)
1 HQ Mandatory
1 HQ, 1 Elite, 1 LoW Optional

1 Primary Coterie (Mandatory)
1 HQ, 1 Troop Mandatory
2 Troops, 2 Elites, 2 Fast Attack, 1 Heavy Optional

0-3 Additional Coteries (Optional)
1 HQ, 1 Troop Mandatory
2 Troops, 2 Elites, 2 Fast Attack, 1 Heavy Support Optional

The primary company can then be supplemented by additional Coteries that follow the same format but without additional LOW slots. However these additional Coteries are treated as Allies of Convenience as they are hail from separate bands of Corsair bands and their loyalties lie with other Corsair Barons and Princes. While this is a drawback it is offset by the fact that they can choose a unique Coterie Specialization separate from that of your primary company which is where the magic really happens with the Corsair army list. This enables you to have small battle groups enhanced by invaluable force multiplying USR's to accomplish specialized tasks for your army which are of incredible importance considering the relative fragility of the units.

Coterie Specilizations

The Coterie Specilization is without doubt one of the most exciting aspects of playing a Corsair army. Similar to the options once presented in the 3rd Edition "Craftworlds" supplement which gave unique rules and options for each of the classic Craftworlds, the Coterie Specilization gives a whole set of rules and modifiers that enhance a particular playstyle. Whatsmore in addition to your primary Company, each additional Coterie that you take its own Specilization. The possible combinations are truly mind boggling.

Titan Breakers- Anti-tank and anti-walker buffs.

Head Takers- Buffs for a unit each time a character in that unit engages in a challenge.

Vault Breachers- All infantry gain access to Dissonance Breach Charges.

Sky Burners- Deepstrike and Reserve specialists whose chances of succeeding in deepstrike and reserve are greatly enhanced .

Nighthunters- Nightfight specialists

Hate Bringers- Hate Bringers gain bonuses against a chosen target and receive Victory Points for destroying that unit.

Commentary- The Coterie Specializations are no joke. These aren't just nods to the fluff they invaluable enhancements that create an almost Aspect Warrior-esque specialization for huge chunks of your army. In my opinion the Coterie Specializations vault Eldar Corsairs towards the top-tier of Warhammer 40k armies. It enables them specialization equal to any Craftworld army, the Deepstrike precision of 7th ed Dark Eldar but the bewildering array of options of the 5th edition Dark Eldar codex.

I feel Forgeworld really spent a lot of time crafting the Corsair army list. The complexity of the Specializations and the balancing effect of the Internal Politics rule set the foundation for an army that should stand the test of time for years to come.

The Corsairs can be easily be molded to fit any playstyle. They've got deepstrikers, mobile cavalry and skirmishers which suit my playstyle but they also have crazy long range options as well such as Hornets, Nightspinners and Flyers that pack a wallop and are only enhanced by the Coterie Specializations. If you end up playing Corsairs there are many different paths you can take your collection which is why I say this army will stand the test of time for years to come. The versatility and punch this army offers will not fade IMO. Anyways guys hope you enjoyed the first installment of the review. Let me know your thoughts if you are interested in playing Corsairs and I can answer your questions as well. Stay tuned more army pics, terrain features and campaign stuff to come. See you guys soon!

EDITED: Within insights from Chris- Thanks buddy!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 07:35:58 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: December 28, 2015, 08:15:31 AM »
@Irisado- Thank you very much Irisado. I'm glad I figured out the mystery and I'm glad you like my newest model. I'm really loving painting these guys and with a big playable army completely finished I can take my time with my new units and make sure they are just the way I want them, and learn some new techniques along the way like doing little symbols and what-not. BTW I'd love to see some of your models if you ever feel the inclination! I've always wondered what your army looked like!

In the murky depths of the Campaigns and Battle Reports board, you can catch a few glimpses of my poorly painted models:

1750pts: Imperial Guard vs. Eldar
Killersquid Vs Irisado (two games?!)

The enjoyment which you get from painting this army is another reason why the paint job is so impressive.  This is also why you paint well and I don't ;).

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #555 on: December 28, 2015, 08:31:49 AM »
Great introduction to the book! If it wasn't for the initial cost and inevitable need to have to start buying forgeworld models, I wouldn't hesitate in ordering one.

Do you feel that IA:11 is unbalanced in comparison to other seventh edition codexes? From first glance it seems much of what it has to offer only increases the options to eldar without any drawbacks, making an already powerful army, even more so.

I've always tried to steer away from the easy win, hence one if the reasons I play orks    ;). Without taking into account tournament play, would IA:11 be suitable for casual play? I wouldn't want to use rules that are overpowered in a friendly environment.

Offline -Chris-

« Reply #556 on: December 28, 2015, 09:25:20 AM »
I've been lurking and following this army for a while, it looks beautiful- great work!

Looking through my copy of IA11, I don't think you have the Corsairs Raiding Company rules quite right. My understanding is that it is a specialized detachment like a Space Marine Gladius Strike Force or Necron Decurion. Therefore it is completely acceptable to take an additional CAD or Allied Detachment (following the normal rules for Allies) and still remain Battleforged. In addition, the structure goes like this:

0-1 Command Crew (Optional)
1 HQ Mandatory
1 HQ, 1 Elite, 1 LoW Optional

1 Primary Coterie (Mandatory)
1 HQ, 1 Troop Mandatory
2 Troops, 2 Elites, 2 Fast Attack, 1 Heavy Optional

0-3 Additional Coteries (Optional)
1 HQ, 1 Troop Mandatory
2 Troops, 2 Elites, 2 Fast Attack, 1 Heavy Support Optional

Each coterie is Allies of Convenience with each other, but Battle Brothers with the Command Crew.

VPs are gained if the marked unit is destroyed, regardless of who actually destroys them (it doesn't have to be members of the Hate Bringers coterie).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is the way that I am reading them! It's also not quite clear me to if the command crew is optional or not, the way I originally read it was that it is mandatory (and therefore the minimum size would be 2 HQ and 1 Troops) but after re-reading it I am not sure anymore!
-The average man, who does not know what to do with his life, wants another one which will last forever-

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #557 on: December 28, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
@Irisado- Hey don't sell yourself short! While the photos don't reveal a lot of detail judging from the Falcon you've got a nice smooth application and a nice color scheme. I also liked the yellow heads on the Warlocks. It is true I do like painting which makes it a lot easier. For me its relaxation time, turn on some podcasts, learn some new things catch-up on current events and make some cool models. Its different for everyone though, playing, painting and modeling are all totally different ball games, each taking up a lot of time so I definitely understand where you are coming from.

@Dog of War- The Corsairs in and of themselves are not over-powered compared to other codices and are certainly a notch below stand-alone Eldar, Necrons and Daemons. There are a lot of caveats scattered throughout their army list that prevent abusive power-combos. The options presented for Craftworlds can be very powerful but offer more variety than anything else and don't really shore-up areas of weakness for the army such as hard-hitting rapid response assault units. Armies like Dark Angels, Necrons, Daemons and War Convocation still edge Eldar in MANY areas with Ravenwing, White Scars, Wraiths (Canoptek Harvest or not), Daemon Flying Circus etc. I've mentioned this before but Eldar have won only 2 major tournaments in the past 3 years so don't let their reputation fool you, top dog is up for grab and Tzeentch Daemons really have been the kings since 6th edition.

EDIT It should be noted that as I understand it almost every option opened to Craftworld Eldar via the book is constrained by the Warhost Detachment meaning you do have to give up quite a bit flexibility to access the formations, though even with those restrictions the formation driven Warhost is still VERY good.

IA:11 is DEFINITELY suitable for casual play. Eldar Corsairs play like 5th edition Dark Eldar brought into the 7th edition meta. They have great punch, tons of tricks but will fold when hit hard, especially in assault. If you play pure Corsairs without Eldar allies you have nothing to worry about. Even with Craftworld allies and the options presented in IA:11 the only areas of concern like the Deathshroud Wraithknight, the Warp Hunter formation and the Lynx with its large blast destroyer weapon. But even the Lynx which people are complaning about is no longer a Super Heavy, doesn't have Titan Holofields, and if you can take out an Eldar Falcon with a couple extra hullpoints you can take out the Lynx very easily. Hell making it jink will do the trick. I would say even with all the new stuff raw power armies like Ravenwing, Wraith-spam and even some of Ravenguard stuff from Mont'ka is superior.   

@Chris- Hey man welcome aboard! Thanks for the compliments buddy they are appreciated! As for your rules interpretation I believe you are probably right on all accounts. Its pretty unclear but I tend to think you are right. I will consult with my buddy Ibushi and see what he thinks and will amend my post after comparing our interpretations. The one I think you are definitely correct on is the HQ thing... I'm almost positive now that I look at it that you need 2 HQ choices which is why the Baron and the Void-Dreamer are so cheap. I'm gonna have a think and contact my buddy Ibushi and will get back to you. Anyway thank you very much for your comments as this is meant to be a "learn together" type of thing. Also please share some photos of your army if you get a chance I'm always eager to see the projects of a fellow Corsair! 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:17:08 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #558 on: December 31, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
Corsair Prince

Initial Impressions- Being a life time member of the Autarch fan-club the Corsair Prince is exactly what I look for in an HQ. He brings utility, increased efficacy to his army, buffs morale for a models within LOS, and he can throw down in melee like a boss. He has access to tons of wargear and of course the fascinating " Obsessions of the First Prince" which I will cover last. His stat-line, wargear options and special rules are everything I wish Autarchs and Archons had access to. Between the three I think Corsair Princes edge both Autarchs and Archons significantly.

Stat Line

First off lets look at his stat-line. He's basically between an Autarch and Archon in terms of stats but with a higher Strength score than both. This is incredibly rare for any Eldar model and instantly screams out to equip him for close-combat and to get him into the fray.

Wargear Options

He comes stock with Brace of Pistols which means he has double splinter pistols and double shuriken pistols (granting him Gunslinger), offensive and defensive grenades, and heavy mesh armor. Not bad to start but the upgrades are where things get very interesting. Without detailing every wargear option I will simply highlight the most intriguing options. First off he can take Corsair Jump Pack, a Jetbike, Dark Eldar Shadowfield, Avenger Shimmer Shield, a huge range of pistols and of course the incredibly awesome Void Sabre which will cleave through power armored units like butter, and can even take out Terminators with some hot dice (hint hint). He can even upgrade to a "Wild Psyker" which makes him Mastery Level 1. In total there are over 17 wargear options for the Corsair Prince all of which are excellent and are decently priced. Having the experience I have with an Autarch the prospect of bringing a high strength, low AP equipped Prince riding a bike with a 2+ invulnerable save (don't roll a 1 though or the fun is over) is beyond a dream. Is he a Space Marine chapter master on a bike with Stormshield, Thunderhammer? No. What he's just a notch below in terms of stats, but that notch below is a significant boost above what both Autarchs and Archons bring to the table which is incredible as I'm a huge fan of both units despite their reputation in the current game.

Yet now lets look at what puts the Corsair Prince totally over the top:

Corsair Obsessions of the First Prince-

As detailed in the book, each Corsair Prince has own brand of obsession, whether it be seeking mind and body altering drugs, ancient relics, secrets of the webway or other such arcana at no additional cost!

Seeker of Forbidden Pleasures: The Corsair Prince has access to Corsair Combat Drugs which are a bit better than the Dark Eldar drugs with the potential for stacking buffs if you roll well. Jetbikes, Infantry and Jetpack Infantry can all purchase access to drugs as well. A very tempting option for those who plan on throwing the Prince into combat.

Traveler of Forgotten Paths: This is an incredible option that will make Dark Eldar players scream out in rage, and stoke the flames of jealousy in Craftworld players who have long pined for access to Webway Portal action on the table-top. Basically its the old school 5th edition Webway Portal which allows the Prince or any other character who pays the upgrade points to generate a reserve deployment point for non-vehicle units. Like its 5th edition counterpart the portal is opened in the shooting phase near to the Prince. Furthermore it can be used to go into Ongoing Reserves! This is an incredible option that I think is going to take time to fully appreciate how powerful this can be.

Collector of Ancient Treasures: Another gem, basically this gives the Prince access to all the Relics from Codex: Craftworld Eldar, Codex: Dark Eldar and Codex Harlequin. Furthermore you can upgrade character weapons with certain buffs for a pittance as well. This is what has caught the eye of most Eldar players as you can purchase the Mask of Secrets or Armor of Misery which decimates enemy leadership. Factor in some psychic powers, the Hemlock Wraithfighter or an allied Archon with Armor of Misery or Shadowseer with the Mask and you'll be running huge swathes of your opponents army off the board based on leadership shenanigans alone. This is an incredible option and one that many Corsair players will take advantage of.

Wielder of Profane Powers: This is for the darker Corsair Princes who have unlocked their psychic potential. This one is a bit too complex to get into with spelling out exactly every detail but essentially it grants access to Malefic Daemonology psychic discipline for the Prince and other psykers in the army. It also changes the Corsair Perils Chart which is very daunting. This one is extremely risky to use and I don't seeing it used often as you can potentially hand control over all the psykers and your Prince to your opponent!

Survivor of Endless Darkness: This is an oddball choice meant for Corsair Princes of exceptional age. It gives them some wound denying USR's but if one of them is failed the Prince and his unit is negatively effected. One of the wound denying powers can also be purchased for other characters in the army.

Role and Use

The Corsair Prince is an excellent HQ in my estimation. His ability as close-combat character, the variety of his wargear coupled with "Obsessions of the First Prince" and Coterie Specialization I detailed earlier and he stands head and shoulders above the Autarch and Archon from where I sit. He's better than both in combat and brings more utility to his army.

His one downside is of course low toughness which is certainly a problem, but even giving up warlord is nothing compared to what he can do for the rest of your army. His other downside is lack of a proper escort unit. It would seem a Voidstorm Squad (close-combat unit with access to special weapons, think super Storm Guardians with tons of wargear options) would be the best bet but it really not an attractive option to me. The Corsairs lack a close-combat jetbike option which is a true shame, but allies can easily remedy this with a unit of Shining Spears or even the dreaded Seer Council which will take this character to infuriating heights of power when Fortune, Doom or Invisibility become a part of the scenario. He's a great option any way you slice it and if you like the Eldar Autarch or Dark Eldar Archon you are going to love the Corsair Prince.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #559 on: January 1, 2016, 03:22:32 AM »
First off, Happy New Year to all!

And now, wow, great stuff. I will post my first list for your critique and in put ASAP. It is an all comers list, but for now the sand man is after me, yawn.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword