News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348495 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #340 on: April 29, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
Jetbikes! They aren't replacing your Outriders are they?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #341 on: April 30, 2015, 06:59:03 AM »
@Lachdonin- They are a dream to put together. Took about 5 minutes assemble the first one. Never had a problem with the old ones besides getting that dang banner pole centered! I really do miss those banner poles though. All the Shrine banners in the codex makes it a real shame that none of the Aspects have them anymore.

@Alienscar- Replace my Reavers? Never! They'll be riding side-by-side. My goal is to incorporate CC into my standard list and the Reavers may get the nod. They are very good, can keep up with them and are perfect for shredding any Marines (or Marine bikers) that get to close to my new scatter-blaster bikes!

Seriously though the armies I face off against are incredibly fast whether it be Marine biker lists, Necrons and all there teleporting, or drop-pod lists... a lot of times I'll find myself surrounded by enemy units, and forced to turbo-boost to a new area of the board. With just a single CC unit it'll enable me to more easily hold my ground. Harlies and Reavers are currently the front-runners.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #342 on: April 30, 2015, 07:50:45 AM »
The Jetbikes are already starting to look very impressive.  Your colour scheme goes well with that sleek design.  They're going to look really good.

Great pictures from the battle, and both armies look very impressive, especially with the paint schemes you are and your opponent have chosen.  Congratulations on your victory too :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #343 on: April 30, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »

@Alienscar- Replace my Reavers? Never! They'll be riding side-by-side. My goal is to incorporate CC into my standard list and the Reavers may get the nod. They are very good, can keep up with them and are perfect for shredding any Marines (or Marine bikers) that get to close to my new scatter-blaster bikes!

I was actually thinking of your Exodite Outriders as I thought you used them as proxies for jetbikes. But I am now guessing that your Outriders weren't intended to proxy for all of your Jetbikes.

Here is another early WIP of my Exodite Outriders (guardian jetbikes)

(Image removed from quote.)
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #344 on: May 1, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »
@Irisado- Thanks Irisado! Glad you like the new bikes and thanks for your compliments on the game, models and victory. It was a satisfying one to be sure. I'm gonna play a game this weekend against my brother I'll bat-rep it, and take lot of photos too as I continue to playtest the new book.

@Alienscar- Whoa! Talk about a blast from the past. Sadly they will be replacing those guys... but those guys haven't seen any action since 5th ed! I actually have a ton more but they are unpainted (primed, but unpainted). I will be doing Exodites someday but not anytime soon. Glad you dig em though.

Progress! Gonna stencil/mask prime the chevrons next time but he's coming out good! Also gonna greenstuff the shoulder pads on the next one as well. I hate gap-filling but these models need it. Also one of the things I'm most excited to do is give squad markings, and individual number markings to all my models now that they've included an Eldar marking system in the new book. Love these new models, and I love painting them.... more soon!

BTW have you seen the rumors on Admech? Scary! I'm also scared to see what Marines are gonna brining to the party when they get their update. Anyway stay-tuned for the incoming bat-rep!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #345 on: May 1, 2015, 01:30:35 PM »
hey man that's some really impressive jetbikes there, If you paint all of them like this it's gonna be a blast on the table, really looking forward to it ^^
same for the bat rep :D i'm looking forward to it aswell you brother mini's and your always look stunning on the table :)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #346 on: May 2, 2015, 06:52:42 AM »
oooh! squad markings? I really want to get that dex now...
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #347 on: May 3, 2015, 01:20:21 AM »
ROOMAZOOMZOOM!!!! They look mighty nice! I am right back into mine again, building and painting, was gonna work on Eldar but....
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #348 on: May 5, 2015, 10:43:58 AM »
Hey guys! I'm gonna keep this brief for reasons which'll soon become obvious. Also I deleted some of my best pictures which was a terrible mistake on my part because there were some great ones.... Anyway lets jump in!

So this was my 2nd test run of the new book and it was a doozy. In this game we played 1855-ish (my bro and I are a little flexible on these things) and a standard 5 objective game. Here are the lists:

Autarch: Fusion Gun, Fire Sword, Banshee Mask
Wraithblades x5
    Wave Serpent: Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
Avengers x8
    Wave Serpent: Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
Windriders x6- x6 Scatter Lasers
Swooping Hawks x8
Hornets x3- x6 Pulse Lasers
Nightwing
Wraithknight: Wraithcannons, 1x Scatter Laser

My Brother's List (as best I can remember it)
Pask in a Punisher (Warlord)
Plasmacutioner
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Platoon Command: Vox
    Infantry Squad: Vox
    Infantry Squad: Vox
    Heavy Weapons Team: Autocannons
Veterans x3 Plasma
    Chimera: Double Heavy Flamers
Vendetta
Manticore

In my opinion... NOT his best list. Why he forewent his usual 4 squads of Veterans with Plasma, the Vulture, Imperial Knight etc I don't know... but he is re-modelling everything right now to differentiate between Vets, and Infantry men and wanted to get a feel for things with his new look IG. But that aside lets jump in.

Unfortunately I deleted the set-up photo of the board but is a collage to set the scene:

Eldar Turn 1
So I got turn 1 for the first time in forever and lets just say it started off with a bang. As you can see I set up evenly across the board (which I usually do when I go first) and then swung everything up the right flank using turbo-boosts to get into position... thus getting out of range of both Pask and the Plasmacutioner. I bust the Wraithknight just within 36" of the manticore, let rip with his Heavy Distortion Cannon, miss with the first gun, nail him with the second and roll a 6. He just got D'd. I felt bad as this was the model's first appearance on the board and my brother had spent a long time painting him... but alas it was not meant to be. On top of that I was already in his deployment zone with all my Serpents meaning my Autarch the Wraithblades and 16 Avengers were ready to rock. Very intimidating stuff!

IG Turn 1
The loss of the Manticore hurt and Pask and his buddies were out of position. My brother decided to bunker down and hope the remaining tanks could do some work. So the Basilisks let rip on the Wraithknight both his, both wound and I pass both Feel No Pains. Scary! Both of us could feel the power of the Wraithknight. Then the Plasmacutioner and Leman Russ moveout, the Plasmacutioner hits the Wave Serpent all 5 times and the Russ hits with its battle-cannon and Lascannon as well. I jink all but 1 hit and downgrade the pen to a glance. This is getting ugly quick! My brother's frustration is growing and I can feel the hatred of the internet filling the room! The Autocannon Team fires at the Wraithknight in desperation to wrack up at least a wound and they achieve that... but only that! Only a hullpoint and a single wound dealt out and the IG's turn ends. Not good!

Eldar Turn 2
Everything moves deeper into the IG deployment zone. A squad of Avengers disembarks, the Wraithblades disembark all using the LOS blocking terrain to hide from the remaining tank and infantry squad on the otherside of the big ruin. Everything also arrives out of reserves. Hawks come down (there blast scatters away harmlessly), the bikes come in, the Nightwing arrives and so do the Hornets. This is the picture I REALLY wish I had... but just try and picture it in your minds... and with a little help from these pix.

So during deployment my brother set up his bassies as far away from my Wraithknight as possible. But there was one 5-6" gap between the cave/hill terrain he was hiding behind and the board edge... just enough for my Wind Riders, Nightwing to unload on the Basilisk side armor and thats what I'm gunning for. Also having moved his Tanks out there rear armor was exposed to an outflanking manuever by my Hornets whose Acute Senses rule allowed me to get them exactly into position. I had an excellent picture of the entire cluster of Corsair outflankers but I deleted it! The IG photo doesn't reflect the movement of the Russ' but shows the position of the Baslisks. Anyway Here's the best photos that remain to try and illustrate the scene

So the bikes let rip into the Basilisk and shred the poor tank. The Nightwing does the same with its double shuriken-cannons finishing off the squadron. It was a brutal move on my part but it had to be done. The Hornets then pummel the Leman Russ squadron and even facing a lot  side armor 13 on the Russ' destroy 2 of them with help from the Wraithknight. I just ripped the heart out of the IG... and to add insult to injury split-fire from the Wraithknight into the infantry squad in the ruin allows me to assault into their firebase... and like a scene from Evangelion the beast goes on a rampage with stomp decimating the IG foothold.

This maneuver ended the turn and needless to say there was some serious shock and awe tactics going here for the Eldar. Yet my brother had a few cards left to play.

IG Turn 2
So my brother rolls reserves and the bad-bird itself the Vendetta arrives while the Vets in their Chimera remain off the board. He turns Pask around and blows away two of the remaining Hornets the other survives via a couple lucky jink rolls with a lone hull-point remaining. The recently arrived Vendetta unloads on the Wraithblades and my Autarch and knocks out two of the Wraithguard. Those suckers can really take a pounding and they protect my Autarch very well. Yet with so little left the turn ends and Lions of Asuryan remain on the rampage.

Eldar Turn 3

With the Vendetta on the board I decide its time for my Nightwing to flee and hope for a better angle of firing either on his counter-part or Pask. My jetbikes move out to claim objectives and the rest of the Warhost surges on. The Wraithblades and Autarch continue to move up, while my Dire Avengers fire on the remaining Infantrymen inside the ruin and move in to assault. The Wave Serpents move into position to fire on the Platoon Command and grab objectives. Then the Swooping Hawks which had gone ignored intercept the Vendetta wracking up to HP's but fail to bring it down! Meanwhile the Wraithknight finishes off the last of Autocannon team and remains covered in the ruins. With shooting done my Avengers roll well and make it into combat with the Infantrymen and slay them in glorious combat. I use my consolidation roll to get out of line-of-sight inside the ruin and await a final desperate charge from the IG. A less spectacular turn but its almost mopping up duty at this point. Yet my brother has one last card to play.

IG Turn 4

Reserves are rolled and the Chimera with Plasma vets arrive. This is my brothers last chance and he smartly pulls in right behind the Swooping Hawks and my Autarch and Wraithblades. Pask moves back behind the ruins forcing the Wraithknight to come to him (and to protect warlord). The Chimera flames the Hawks and they break morale and run. The Vets unload on my Wraithblades but shockingly only 1 goes down. Those 4+ invuln saves are not to be taken lightly. The Vendetta goes into hover mode moves back 12" and fires on the Wraithknight knocking up two more wounds. This was a very disappointing turn for my brother. He needed those Vets to get the job done and it didn't happen. The Eldar are poised for another big turn to close out the game.

Eldar Turn 5

The Eldar rampage was about to commence again. My Hawks rallied, intercepted the Vendetta and brought it down. The Wraithknight turned around and destroyed the Chimera, as did my Corsair Prince and his Wraithblades to deal with the backstabbing Vets. The Avengers lined-up inside the ruins to prevent the Infantry men in the ruin next door from being able to Move, Move, Move inside the ruin in a last charge. Meanwhile the Serpents moved into position on a number of objectives as did the Jetbikes. The Nightwing also returned to the board and shot at Pask ineffectually. With shooting out of the way my Corsair Prince and Wraithblades charged the Vets and killed 4 of them (not the best rolling) but they held tying up my Prince in combat. It was another very effective turn for the Eldar and the IG knew the day was lost.

IG Turn 5 End of the Game

We decided to call it at this point. We played the turn out but nothing much happened. The Vets broke, and my Prince failed to catch them while, the remaining infantry men set-up a shoot and charge for next turn against the Avengers inside the ruin. While Pask, the Platoon Command and an Infantry unit remained the game was effectivley over. The Corsairs were all over the objectives, the Wraithknight was in position to go after Pask and the Platoon Command and all my Avengers were intact as well as the potential bombing run from the recently rallied Hawks. The Lions of Asuryan had crushed the IG and were poised to eradicate every last one of them if the game had continued.

Concluding Thoughts:

Wow. This games was an eye-opener. The Wraithknight was on an absolute tear and seemed all but unstoppable. The ability to split-fire, stomp, and feel-no-pain all came into enormous effect and really changed the way I look at the unit. The Wave Serpents were as effective as ever, the Wraithblades continued to be an average unit in terms of offense, but very useful in its ability to take units out of the shooting phase and grind them down. The Hornets were nasty as ever, and the Jetbikes got a chance to shine. This was a text-book Eldar victory... they were hitting my brother's IG from all sides with devastating force and in the end it just overwhelmed the out-gunned IG.

So... where to go from here. I'm definitely changing the way I construct my list. The Wraithknight is going to be reserved for no-holds barred games. I've got a game coming up this saturday against my new friend Amar who brings absolutely brutal lists. For everyone else I'm going to have "the conversation" about what type of game they want to play. Lords of War/No Lords of War, Ranged-D/No-Ranged D. The Wraithknight is truly one of the most dominating units in the game and if you do not have an answer to him, I'm not bringing him.

Replacements are going to come in the form of Corsair Fire Dragons, True Born with Blasters (WWP Raid) and Scourges with Haywire Blasters. In a way I'm happy with changes to the Wraithknight and Wraithguard because I truly have an excellent core of Apocalypse units, as well as excellent choices for no-holds-barred games. On the other hand I'm bummed because I was really looking forward to great knightly duels between my Wraithknight and the Imperial Knight. Sadly the Imperial Knight is drastically outclassed unless the Melta-Cannon becomes a Destroyer Weapon. Either way I look at it as an opportunity to rock a far fluffier list one centered around lightning fast raids... with my Wraith units (heirloom units drawn from the dead of my Corsair Prince's family) become units only used in special games or no-holds-barred like I've mentioned.

Anyway a lot of modelling to come in the future. More of my jetbikes will be finished this week and I'm going to begin modelling up reinforcements in the form of Corsair Dragons towards the end of this week or next week. So on to my closing notes....

Special Announcement!

Anyway! I'm returning to the Splintermind Podcast to discuss.... you guessed it... the New Eldar Codex! I'll be chatting with Thor and Evil Space Elves from the Dark City about the changes to the new Dex and the impact it'll have on the game and the Dark Kin. The Dark City is one of my favorite forums and the DE purists are just hardcore about the Dark Eldar as some of the Eldar Online vets here at 40k Online. While 40k online was down it became one of my favorite forums and is a great resource for anyone playing DE. So if you are interested make sure you check it out!

Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast

Anyways guys I've got a game coming up this week and a bunch of models ready in the works so stay tuned for some updates in the near future. So thanks for stopping by and I'll talk to you guys all soon!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #349 on: May 5, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »
Wow. That was a rather overpowering victory.
I see you still run scatter lasers on your wave serpents. Any specific reason for this? And what do you think of holofields on them now?
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #350 on: May 5, 2015, 01:11:46 PM »
Yeah totally overpowering victory... thanks largely to the power of the Wraithknight. I think if my brother had brought his 4 squads of Plasma Vets it would have been a different game, but his power was on full display this game. You have to have a clear and decisive answer to him or he'll rip opposing army apart.

As to running the Scatter Lasers on the Wave Serpents I place a high priority on anti-infantry fire power. I face a lot of ground pounding armies whether it be Necrons, Marines, Thunder Cav, Marine Bikers and boat loads of IG Veterans so I can't get enough AI in most of my lists. Also when forced to jink Id rather have 4 twin-linked shots + shuriken cannons then snap-firing EML, or Brightlances. Star-Cannons are tempting but HAVING to be in 24" to use them is a bit of a detraction for me especially with bikes roaring after you.

Also I've got boat loads of high strength AP2 via the Hornets (12 shots) the Nightwing (2 Shots), the Wraithknight (2 shots.... though he'll be phased out soon).

As for holofields...I'll probably never run them. If I can't jink, or can't grab cover (I've probably made a mistake as well) I'd rather just take my lumps and hope the Serpent shield saves me. The extra points will cost me Dire Avengers, or Swooping Hawks and its not worth the exchange. Also the presence of the new bikes takes pressure off of them so there's no need to upgrade to the max.

Also progress!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #351 on: May 5, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »
I remember a while back you expressed a hope that reading your blog might persuade me to play 40K again, but reading your battle reports has the opposite effect :D.  By this, I don't mean your reports are not interesting, far from it in fact :), rather it's just cementing my view that the current rules just are not for me.

I love the pictures of your army on the table top.  The models seem to look better every time.  I'm also very pleased to see an Eldar victory.  I agree, however, that the Wraithknight being left at home for most games would probably be a wise idea.  It dominated that game rather a lot.

The Jetbikes continue to look really impressive.  I can picture your models speeding across battlefields hunting isolated squads and opening fire 'hit and run' style.

Finally, I'd be interested to see whether we might be able to draw any members of the Dark City over here to join in discussions.  Reciprocity and all that ;).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #352 on: May 5, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »
I can send some IM's to some of my friends on the Dark City if you'd like.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: May 5, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but we don't want to advertise on other forums, especially since we don't allow other forums to advertise here.  Of course, signatures linking to topics over here like members having links to their project blogs in their signatures on other forums is another thing altogether, that's more what I was suggesting ;).

Anyway, on with the painting.  I can't wait to see how these Jetbikes turn out :).

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #354 on: May 5, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »
star cannon are 36  range just saying ;) the 24 is for shurican.

Well that was a clean victory that's for sure and those jetbikes man they look really gorgeous. You defenetly have a things for efficient and well balanced painting.

You showed me the power of the wraithknight, I was not sure but now i know that if the opponents bring a wraithknight unless i have fire dragon or something like this, I don't know yet what (reapers with starshot maybe), I forfeit even before the game start ><

looking forward to the modification of your list :)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #355 on: May 6, 2015, 07:27:38 AM »
I remember a while back you expressed a hope that reading your blog might persuade me to play 40K again, but reading your battle reports has the opposite effect :D.  By this, I don't mean your reports are not interesting, far from it in fact :), rather it's just cementing my view that the current rules just are not for me.

@ Irisado- Noooooooooo!!! Well I do have a bunch of stuff planned that is right up your alley. The Doom of Mymeara Campaign sort of fell of the radar for me and my brother but we are still going to do it! I just haven't been able to set-aside the time to finish painting his Knight Titan for the 3500pt game half-way through the campaign.

On top of that I"m going to be setting up a 2-day narrative event at my store that is going to be excellent. Custom scenarios, and tight set of restrictions on unit selection… the one that sticks out in my mind most is the Night-Raid Recon Mission where you must take a certain amount of units with Scouts, no armor better than 3+, limited amount of vehicles AV 10 or less and I'll be re-instating assault out of reserves. Its supposed to be a mission for Space Marine Scouts, Scout Bikers, Striking Scorpions+Rangers. It should be fun.

I don't blame you either for not liking the way the rules are… but I think if people embraced  and emulated some of the excellent campaigns released by Forge World (Badab War is ridiculously awesome, Fall of Orpheus and Doom of Mymeara and Siege of Vracks (the ultimate Apocalypse campaign) are all fanastic) and played them on a semi-regular basis so much of the angst just melts away. The missions pre-requisites are so fun and call upon the full range of a balanced models collection as well as a robust array of scenery and terrain.

While pick-up games are fun, and I've enjoyed throwing my army into the fighting pit to test their mettle and earn glory in trouncing the best the "Lower Races" have to offer (thats an Eldar joke), I definitly don't feel I'm getting the most out of what the game has to offer. I tell ya if we had even a single Tyranid player in the store I'd pick-up the entire Shield of Baal Campaign and start running in next week.

Anyway enough preaching. Thanks so much for your input Irisado. I'm so glad you like the models… and yes I hope the podcast brings some visitors I mentioned the forum twice and just fell short of mentioning you and GML by name. But when I mention hardcore Eldar purists (I should have said something about your opinion on including Harlies against anything but Chaos) you know who I'm talking about! I just hope those parts make the cut because we went pretty long. Anyway thanks Irisado, and I am determined to bring you hope in the near future!

@Grizzlykin- Man its been so long since I've even considered Starcannons I didn't even realize they were 36"! I may consider them… they certainly look awesome! I have a feeling my army is gonna get a big shake-up… and I'm going to be lacking a lot of Ap2 while the Wraith units take a breather.

As for the Wraithknight its not as dire as all that. It a unit you need to be able to get in the face of and deal with immediatly. Stern-guard with melta, or Grav. Centurions with Draigo (though I hate that unit combination) Firedragons and a WWP Archon, Crimson Death formation will eat him alive, Hornets with Pulse Lasers, anything with Fleshbane (Witchblades etc.) even a squadron of standard Leman Russ with hull mounted Lascannons will do work (just fire those Lascannons first! :P).

Honestly I think its time to just revive "the conversation". If you are setting up a game with friends just talk about what kind of game you want to play. Flyers/No Flyers, Lords of War/No Lords of War, Destroyer/No-Destroyer. Though just allowing it all in can be very fun too. Hell shorter games are not a bad thing! Escalation "Kill the Titan" games are really awesome. The great Scorpion82 ran a series of video bat-reps against a Warhound Titan and for the most part they were really fun games. Setting up games with established parameters is never a bad thing, and it eliminates that feeling of being ambushed. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for all your great comments guys, all your feedback is very rewarding!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #356 on: May 6, 2015, 09:55:28 PM »
I can't be too happy for your victory, on account of being a dedicated IG player and all that.  But still, congratulations none the less.  And once again, awesome paint jobs, awesome board set up and awesome battle report.  :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #357 on: May 7, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »
Thanks Tangi. No need to congratulate me it was a win based more on list mismatch then any great decisions made on my part. I was bummed to be honest, I didn't want my first battle with the new codex against my brother to go that way. He' my toughest opponent and just clobbering him like that was not fun. Besides getting cute with my Hawks, and Jetbikes I just managed to not get in my armies way and screw it up lol! Thanks for the compliments on the army and the board et. al.

BTW I just wanted to mention my brother and I are going to be building a new board.... an 8x8 for regular games in the near future. I think increasing the size of the board is long over due for anything above 1500... or any game that includes flyers. I know its a disadvantage for me but honestly it makes units like the Fire Prism have a much needed role. It'll allow my brothers artillery to use the advantage of its range which on a 6x4 board is really almost a hinderance.

My other hope is that it'll incentivize a more interesting mid-field game where units like Wraithlords, Striking Scorpions, Dreadnoughts, Close-combat Scouts (or even Scout bikers) drop-pod units, Deepstriking Termies have a chance to do something as not every gun on the table can be brought to bear on them. If you guys have played Maelstrom games you'll know how those battles tend to create little isolated pockets of action across the board... I'm hoping a bigger board will do the same thing and hopefully further isolate those pockets of action.

Anyway thanks Tangi and stay tuned I'm dedicated to getting my brother on the forum and talking some good IG smack!

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot the podcast was just released so go check it out if you're interested!

Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast : Splintermind: The Dark Elder Podcast -
« Last Edit: May 7, 2015, 07:13:36 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #358 on: May 13, 2015, 07:43:05 AM »
Alright guys… I was working on a bat-rep from my last game but I really didn't have enough pix to do a proper so I'll just sum it up for you guys as it was an interesting game and really forced me to think about the future direction of my army and my approach to playing in general.

The lists:

Autarch- Banshee Mask, Fire Sabre
Archon- Shadowfield, WWP, Agonizer, Blaster
Fire Dragonsx5- Exarch
Dire Avengers x8
     Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
Dire Avengers x8
     Exarch- Power Sword, Shimmer Shield
     Wave Serpent- Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannon
Warriors x5
     Venom- x2 Cannons
Jetbikes x6- Scatter Lasers x6
Hornets x3- Pulse Lasersx6
Nightwing
Wraithknight- Scatter Laser

My opponent rocked a very odd Decurion

C'Tan Nightbringer- Staff of Light
Cryptek
Cryptek
Destroyer Lord
Destroyers x5
Destroyers x5
Canoptek Harvest
     Canoptek Spider
     Canoptek Wraiths x5
Immortals x5
Tomb Blades x5
Warriors x10- Gauss
Warriors x10- Gauss

So to sum it up: I lost! First game in over 2 months that I lost and it came at the hands of the dreaded Necrons! Definitely a worthy opponent. I knew things were dire when he rolled quadrupule infiltration warlord trait and had the Wraiths, C'tan and the Destroyers knocking at my door at 18" on turn 1. I lost one of my Serpents turn 2 and was forced to go into CC with Autarch, Avengers + Avenger Exarch (!) and Wraithknight turn 2. I held him down for 5 turns but in the end those units bought and at that point I conceded as I had only my hornets and a broken unit of Jetbikes left! I had the Wraithknight, Wave Serpent, Autarch and Avengers in one corner and everything else on the other. While those units pinned him down in CC I tried to flank him with the rest of my army but I just couldn't get through all those 4+ Reanimation Protocols and all those freaking Invulnerable Saves. My Wraithknight battled like a champ, and killed a lot of stuff but I couldn't get lucky on the stomp table and eventually he fell. The MVP of the game was probably the Wraithknight but special mention must go to my Archon who was battling Destroyers like a champ!

So what did I take away from this game? Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. The Necrons are a brutally frustrating opponent with incredible firepower and even more incredible resilience. They've got special rules out the wazoo and cannot be taken without an optimized list.

What do I mean by optimizied? Does it mean Wraithguard and WWP Archons? No not necessarily. It means you've got a list that works as a cohesive whole and I didn't bring that last weekend. So when playing my buddy Amar (this was a toned down list from the last one I faced) I'm going to bring my old army…. at least until I get my NEW list up and running.

I took about half of 5th edition off while I figured out what kind of army I wanted to build, and then building and painting it. In that time I spent a lot of time on this forum in particular bouncing ideas off of people and adding rare units like Hornets, Warp Hunters to my collection and delving into the Dark Eldar which were much more powerful then. I think I need to do the same (though it should be a minimal amount of time a few weeks of re-thinking things and painting) because I don't want to rely on my Wraith units as a crutch except when I'm playing in no-holds barred games.

I don't think Jetbikes are going to be the panacea either… their leadership, vulnerability to blast weapons (or any high volume of fire) means they are going to be a specialist unit (I don't care what the internet says). This coupled with the reduced resilience and firepower of the Serpents requires a big change in philosophy.

The no-vehicle Necrons really opened my eyes to this. So what direction I'm going to go I cannot say. The new codex needs to be fully explored. All I can say is that Harlequins, Reaver Jetbikes and that Crimson Death formation are tempting me…

So anyway all that aside here's some hobby stuff! The Jetbikes are coming along. This time I used stenciled and primed the chevrons and they came out really nice. A tad different from the first one I did but its all good. When all 6 are done it'll be lost in the shuffle. I cant say enough how fun these models are to paint. Very easy to assemble, very easy to paint and they look great! I can't wait to do up an Autarch on a bike he's gonna look great!

Also started work on my Harlies! I primed a number of them but only started work on the Shadowseer/Void Dreamer! So pumped about this model I think its gonna look great and I'll probably use at as a Farseer when I need one. Man I really wish the Harlies had a standard FOC because I'd love to run them as cheapie allies with a lone Shadowseer and a big squad of Harlies and access to Crescendo. But alas it cannot be.... I'm activley trying to figure out a list with Cast of Players but its very expensive... but I think it'll be worth it.

So anyways guys thanks for stopping by... there is a lot in the works and a lot to be figured out. Until next time stay tuned!

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: May 13, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
Necrons were always tough to beat when I played against them, and things don't seem to have become any easier.  Cohesion is an important point though.  I don't think that you need to field a power build to beat them, but rather you need to ensure that all your units bring something to the table when working together.  A concentration of force is especially important against Necrons, given how tough they are.

The pictures are great as always.  I'm particularly drawn to the Shadowseer/Void Dreamer.  I really like this model.  If aesthetics and colours were to win games, you'd never lose whenever it's included in your army.