News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Are GK viable as a small, elite force? (Better than Deathwing?)  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Quantum

• Angels of Absolution
Are GK viable as a small, elite force? (Better than Deathwing?)
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.... But can you field a small model count, viable GK force? A few years back I tried the DA Deathwing and was rather disappointed, I couldn't make it work. Are the GK any better? if so, what should I look at? Can I go all terminator?

Thanks

Quantum

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
Re: Are GK viable as a small, elite force? (Better than Deathwing?)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »
Yes you can go all termie and of course they're better than Deathwing, they have a newer codex. GK are all about quality over quantity, in most cases at least (there's an inquisitor who can make your henchmen warbands into troops). Although I think that if you go all termie you'll see the same problems as with Deathwing; you lose 2-3 and sometimes that'll cost you the game. GK are expensive points wise, but they can easily be made tough as nails too. Everybody has nice armor, good gun, good melee weapons (your normal GK, not necessarily henchmen, etc), even a huge amount of psykers, nice vehicles. The best of everything, you just have to pay for it.

They're certainly not like other armies, like Orks, where I think you lose if your opponent doesn't kill enough of your Orks before the game ends.

Do go knocking Deathwing too hard, I'm sure they have a codex just around the corner and are about to become really viable once more.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »
 While I wouldn't try an all Termie list at 1250pts or below, GKs are viable still at lower point games. The Inquisitors help with this as our HQ choices are pricey. I like an OM Inq w/TDA, psycannon, and pml1. At 1k pts I usually run...

OM Inq. w/TDA, psycannon, PML1(divination)

Term x5 w/psycannon
SS x5 w/psycannon, DH, Psiback
SS x5 w/psycannon, DH, Lasback

Vindicare
Random Dreadnought.

So far it's done really well when it plays. If I want to make it really nasty i can drop the Vind and dread, plus a couple other things and take a teleporting DK.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Quantum

• Angels of Absolution
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
That's good news indeed. You see, I would really like to field a painted army. I'm pretty good at painting but don't have much time, so I'm better off with a smaller force. I'm trying to do Space Wolves ate the moment but the thought of 30 basic troops to paint is disheartening... :o I aint ever gonna get it done, or I have to pain them rough and ready, which I find unsatisfying.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »
Sorry to get off topic, but have you looked into "dipping"? It can greatly speed up your painting, especially if you just want them looking decent. dipping aside, 30 infantry ain't nothin! I bust out about 50 infantry per month and I measure the terrain I make by the square foot (and I don't airbrush).
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Quantum

• Angels of Absolution
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:57:27 AM »
I have considered it but not tried it. Are the Army Painter dips pretty good? I use their undercoats and like them. I do have some faster methods of painting but the results I can never get very excited about. I guess I like paitning a few models really well, it gives me more of a buzz.

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »
Unfortunately the way the game has been going, its become a quantity over quality scenario.  Let's consider that you take 10 Grey Knight Marines w 2 Psicannons and line them up 24" away from an Imperial Guard Infantry Platoon combined squad of a similar points value.  If both sides fire at the same time (let's just assume its that way) and guard gets their shot doubling order odds are the guardsmen will win simply because they can benefit from cover saves and outnumber their enemy.

That being said, if there is any army that can do a small elite force well its Grey Knights.  Their torreting firepower is very high compared to Vanillia Space Marines, especially with Psibolts.  Toss in the fact they can take Psykers with Prescience to improve their shooting, and they can certainly work well.

Offline Quantum

• Angels of Absolution
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »
That definately sounds like my thing. I better think about a sample list  8) I have a small force of IG that I could possibly ally with them - it doesn't feel 'wrong'.