News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: HeroQuest - Quest for the BloodOrb - Quest 3  (Read 23467 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
HeroQuest - Quest for the BloodOrb - Quest 3
« on: December 3, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »

Using the clues you have uncovered you have made your way to the city of Hoghof. While on approach you see a huddled figure by the roadside clearly scouting the opened gates to the city.
It is nightfall, the city bathes in reddish twilight but you see no pillars of smoke, hear no noises, and the gates are obviously open, which is very strange.
The spire of the Hoghof church is the last thing bathing in red light before the city is in complete darkness, and still you cannot hear or smell anything that would tell you that it was anything but abandoned.

This has to warrant investigation.

Iri - introduce yourself from your hidingplace. This place smells like trouble, but you are not sure yet.
Lori can definitely sense some magic about this new character, but it does not seem to be a wizard. Not as such.

I have left the entrance of the map marked, as it is the gate into the town, but have left it up to you to decide how to best proceed. Take your time.

I also have copies of your character-sheets here.

Character sheet   
Player:    faitherun
Name:    Thod 

Race:    Human
Wizard?:    No

Stats:   
WS    7
BS    6 (-1)
S    6
T    5 (+1)
Sp    8 (-1)
Br    7
Int    6
W    3
Fate    2

Equipment:    2-handed sword, Leather armour

Character sheet   
Player:    Skoops6
Name:    Knee-High Nellin

Race:    Halfling

Stats:   
WS    7
BS    7 (-2)
S    4
T    5 (+2)
Sp    7 (-1)
Br    7
Int    7
W    3
Fate    2

Equipment:    Sword, Leather armour, Short bow, 5 arrows, Shield, Ring of Magic Protection (1)
Spell components:   
Other abilities:    Sneak

Character sheet   
Player:    Lonewolf
Name:    Gimli

Race:    Dwarf

Stats:   
WS    9
BS    8 (-3)
S    5
T    6 (+4)
Sp    5 (-2)
Br    8
Int    7
W    3
Fate    2

Equipment:    Axe, Shield, Plate armour
Other abilities:    +2 to spot traps, +2 to disarm traps

Character sheet   
Player:    Wiggus
Name:    Lori Orepacer

Race:    Dwarf
Wizard?:    Yes

Stats:   
WS    8
BS    7 (-1)
S    4
T    6 (+1)
Sp    7
Br    7
Int    8
W    3
Fate    2

Equipment:    Warhammer, Shield
Spell components:   3
Known spells:    Bright: Flames of the Phoenix, Flames of Death
Other abilities:    +2 to spot traps, +2 to disarm traps
   Roll INT for spell

Character sheet   
Player:    Wiggus
Name:    Rudolf von Heinz a.k.a. "The Nose"

Race:    Human

Stats:   
WS    8+1
BS    7 (-2)
S    5+1
T    6 (+2)
Sp    7 (-1)
Br    6
Int    7
W    3
Fate    2

Equipment:    Sword (+1 WS +1S), Shield, Leather armour, 2x Pistol - 12 bullets

You are all restored to your 3 Wounds and 2 Fate each. I am keeping track of Gold and Spell Components separately if you are interested.

Next update December 7th

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: HeroQuest - Quest for the BloodOrb - Quest 3
« Reply #1 on: December 3, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
Caelia had been waiting in the shadows for some time in the gathering darkness.  Rumours had been swirling around the nearest inn about Hoghof.  Local traders and travellers were telling tales of an eerie silence and strange lights after dark.  It was a cursed place one had said.

Covered by her plain brown cloak and hood, Caelia had listened to this gossip and decided to investigate for herself.  These tales often came to nothing, but an entire town falling silent was certainly worth investigating.  The dead rarely rest easy, and if the town truly had become as quiet as a grave, then it might attract necromancers, or worse.  This was something that a witch hunter simply could not allow.

Caelia had arrived just after sunset and had patiently been scouting the exterior wall and gate, looking for any clues, but nothing had yet presented itself.  The place was quiet though, the rumours had been true.  It was far too quiet.  That was until the sound of voices began to echo from back down the road through the darkness.  These were no ordinary voices though, they sounded as though they belonged to a band of mercenaries, judging by the talk of dungeons and loot which she could hear.

Drawing her cloak tightly around her, Caelia waited for the voices to get closer, loading a bolt in her crossbow just in case....
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »
I think there is a certain magical helmet missing. Never try to cheat a dwarf out of its loot  :P

Gimli, without a single drop of dwarfen ale for far too many days of travel, enters the town in search for the next tavern

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2013, 04:03:13 PM »
[[Sorry about that, Helmet with +1T placed on Gimli (for a total of 11...)]]

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »
Lori stomped along the road mumbling to himself about the ravages of time and how in times gone past he'd have been able to maintain a book full of spells in one hand a warhammer in the other with a pile of bodies in the corners loot piled around his boots. No one was listening but they didnt bother him as half the stories he was telling himself had about as much truth in it as Gimli's head had brains.
All of sudden Lori's head snapped up there was someone ahead and the smell of magic could be sensed in the air.
Steady up lads looks like we arent alone.
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
((As noone has stated a move for Rudolph or Nellin, and Thod has not posted a move I will postpone the update until December 11th))

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »
Thod ambled up the road at the back of the pack. His sword strapped securely across his back.

The undead creatures were.... not what he had expected to find. Indeed, often times he felt the chill of them still, a sensation he was sure he would never forget nor dare speak of. His courage had returned on occasion, but... was it enough? Would he be able and bring justice to the world if such paltry evils unnerved him so? He was not sure, yet he was not about ti give up either.

Thod pulled at his chainmail. It itched and was uncomfortable. He like the old leather armor much more, but after his last series of encounters, it was was clear that more protection would be good.

Coming up the rood and seeing the figure on the side, Thod stopped and slowly drew his sword, wincing as the metal blade rubbed against his new metal links of armor. Something didn't smell right here...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »
Lowering her crossbow slightly as the group moves closer to her person, Caelia notes to herself that such a rag tag mob of individuals can only be a bunch of adventurers coming to investigate.  This was something that she had anticipated, but she inwardly sighed at the disorganised and noisy manner in which they advanced towards her.  If their presence hadn't been known beforehand to whatever was lurking in the town, it certainly was now.

Drawing her cloak around her tightly, she cautiously moved towards the group.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 03:30:00 AM »
The wind is chilling and the darkness oppressing as you move closer to the town. It is absolutely still, with no noises, no light, and no activity. The tower of the church is now darkened as the sun has set, and still you can smell no smoke from hearths or homes.
Just as you come within sight of what appears to be the slightly open city gates a figure emerges from the shadows. It is dressed in a long coat and hooded cowl, with a crossbow strapped across her back.

Next update December 15th

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 03:10:40 AM »
[[Right, no posts by anyone. Last try.

Next update December 18th]]

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 05:17:35 AM »
Well, Gimli already entered the village in search for alcohol, in any form. Right now he couldnt care less about strangers in dark cloaks as long as they dont carry alcohol or try to stop him from getting some  :P

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 07:29:02 AM »
All of which gives me an idea :D

Seeing the dwarf advancing brazenly towards the town gates, showing no caution whatsoever, Caelia sighs to herself, and advances from the shadows blocking the dwarf's path.

"Have you ever heard of a stealthy approach dwarf?" she whispers, somewhat irritated.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
A dark cloaked figure enters Gimlis highly restricted field of view, blocking the path that surely will lead to an end to his suffering. Noises, almost sounding like words, try to make themselves understood. But Gimlis sober brain is of little use in helping him to understand them. Especially the word "stealth" dosent seem to make any sense at all. Surely he never has had any use for that word in the past. Gimli refocuses is eyes on the only important thing left in this world of soberness and blinding light. The sign, right at the entrance to the village. Despite his clouded vision, he can just make out the words written there:"Rest you feet at the Golden Boar, first drink is on the house!" 

Slowly shoving the annoying obstacle out of his way, Gimli struggles on towards salvation.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
Surprised at being shoved aside by the dwarf, Caelia mutters to herself, "If you get yourself killed, don't expect any sympathy from me".

She turns to the rest of the party advancing in her direction.

"So are you with the dwarf?  Are you going in there after him?  Since he's going to alert everyone to our presence now, we may as well go in together.  I've been scouting the outside of this place, but haven't found anything to explain the silence yet.  So are you with me?"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:02:08 AM by Irisado »

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
"What makes you think the town is deadly" Thod growled?

"And who the hell are you?"
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
Lori eyes the new comer warily "forget the town who be ye to be loitering outside the town anyways, state your business anyone the youngling could do with being brought down a peg or two"
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »
"I'm known as Caelia" she replied somewhat tersely, before softening her tone.

"I've been observing this town for some time now, and there has been not a single sound come from it during the whole time that I have been here.  Does this not strike you as odd?  Does this not suggest that it would be better to proceed with caution?  Look, I'm quite good with a crossbow, and if we're to successfully investigate what has been going on here we need to work together, so what do you say?"

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
"A silent town eh?"

Thod used the hilt of his sword to scratch at his beard.

"Seems like its deserted then; nothing much to be scared of. Still.... after those dungeons..."

"YA! GIMLI!" the barbarian yells, "DON"T THINK THEY GONNA HAVE ANY BOOZE!"
Flawless logic.

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:10 AM »
Rudolph turned to the new comer "if your as dangerous as you appear you could do worse than join us after all we will have to go and dig the short one out of whatever trouble he's got himself into?" hitching his sword and loosening his shield Rudolph let loose a sigh and started to follow the dwarf. " coming lads? we cant leave him to fend for himself for long if they dont hate us yet they will do when Gimli is left unattended."
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »
Another voice, louder than the last one, tries to get Gimlis attention and after some difficulties, Gimlis brain finally supplies him with a proper translation:

DON"T THINK THEY GONNA HAVE ANY BOOZE!

The voice of an angle.