News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My monstrosities  (Read 733 times)

Offline Mogglord

• OOOOOOOOOIIIIL!!!!
My monstrosities
« on: May 30, 2003, 10:54:59 PM »
I am torn, torn, torn...

I am running a big map campaign in the summer.  I designed a peninsula map with several islands off to the side.  No doubt I will need aerial superiority.  Of course, my ally might help me handle this, but it seems I'll be making more monsters than anyone else.

So...

I think I'll make a flyer with massive, ranged spasm cluster deathspitter at total s10.  Cheesy, I know, but it's 309 points, and only T6, and according to the flyer rules, it gets hit first anyway.  I'm trying to say it's not insanely cheesy, though its offensive capabilites are astounding.  It may look like a wasp or Tyranic manta ray.

By the way, according to my grid-map rules, a flyer will get to move something insane like eight spaces, but it has to land in a friendly-controlled square.  These guys are far-reaching if they have logistical support.  In my campaign, anyway.

So, another kind of monster would be a giant crab with an AA venom cannon.  Now, there's no AA weapon upgrade for nids, but my opponents might permit an upgrade for appropriate points, since they are my friends, and understanding.  Basically the cannon would be ranged/spasm, with a 3-attack base anyway.  3-9 attacks would do fine against an enemy flyer, even with the "only hit on a 6" rule.  (The local SM player - Ultramarines - has a flyer that will function as both a bomber and transport vehicle - I need a way to counter it.)

Finally, I wanted a transport for my gaunts.  (I'll have to meet with my friends this summer before the campaign begins to see if they'll allow some Tyranids to swim in return for Synapse restrictions on the map or some other detriment.)  There are many islands, so I'll need naval superiority in order to control the islands, which are vital for keeping the foe from flanking your mainland troops from the islands.  I was thinking a winged (not flyer) transport bug, like a wasp.  It would all psychic abilities, fully upgraded, except for Catalyst.  It would have 24-transport, as that's what most of my broods are.  This takes a considerable amount of mass, too.  It's expensive.

In fact, all of these are expensive, which is one of my problems.

Now, I've considered crossing some of the monstrosities for Force Organization Chart's/lower point cost's sakes.  I could cross AA crab/transport wasp.  Now, I thought of a normal-moving AA crab with transport, which would be amphibious.  Slower than the wasp, though.  Or I could have a transport/AA wasp!  But it's expensive as hell!

Now, there is no orbital lander upgrade for Tyranids.  But if my hopefully-understanding friends allow me to take that upgrade for the appropriate points, I'll have me a transport/ground support flyer.  Or I could give the flyer a gun that would do well against enemy flyers.  (We'll have to make rules that allow flyers to be on the board at the same time...the way Chapter Approved has it set up, they'd never see eachother!  No dogfights!  I want an air superiority battle!)

But if my friends are not quite so understanding, what do yall suggest?

(Hopefully this might get people on this board talking more again.  New fuel!)
I just realized that the American public never sees a dime of all that oil we plunder.  Damn!  Now there's nothing good about Bush!