News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 points battle against necrons  (Read 2135 times)

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
1500 points battle against necrons
« on: January 2, 2013, 09:48:50 PM »
how do you beat them.......

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 1500 points battle against necrons
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2013, 11:33:53 PM »
I play both Necrons and Tyranids and to be honest if I were going into a tournament, I would be more likely to take the Necrons, but they can be beaten.

The first information you need to give us though is are you looking to beat any Necron Army or is there a particular build that you have in mind. The Necron Codex is very flexible and so there are many styles of Necron Army, but by and large they are going to be shooting based and most now will have fliers to contend with. My own 2000 pts army includes Nemesor Zandrek, 5 Crypteks (single unit), 2 squads of Destroyers, Destroyer Lord and Wraiths, 4 squads of Immortals and 2 Doom Scythes.

What do you need to beat this army or something like it. I suggest you need lots of little guys for them to shoot at, so Terrvigons and Termagaunts come to mind. You need some level of shooting for the Doom Scythes, I actually play 9 Zoanthropes which can take out Immortals or Destroyers too, however a plethora of Hive Guards shooting from cover would work well too. Finally you need some effective close combat units. I think Flying Hive Tyrants, Trygons and poisoned Gargolyes would be best. There, I have just about given you my 2000 point Tyranid list as well.

Finally, you need a bit of luck and first turn allowing you to close the distance and engage on turn two would be really handy as well.

Beyond that, I think you need to be more specific about what you are facing.

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »
my army is 1500 points:

Unnamed1500 Pts  -   Tyranids Army

1 Hive Tyrant (HQ) @ 285 Pts
     Flying Monstrous Creature (Character); Psyker (1); Shadow in the Warp;
     Synapse Creature; Bonded Exoskeleton; Wings; TL Devourer w/Worms (x2);
     Hive Commander

3 Hive Guard Brood (Elites) @ 150 Pts
     Impaler Cannon

8 Ymgarl Genestealer Brood (Elites) @ 184 Pts
     Alter Form; Dormant; Rending Claws

1 Trygon (Heavy Support) @ 200 Pts
     Monstrous Creature; Deep Strike; Fearless; Fleet; Bonded Exoskeleton;
     Instinctive Behavior - Feed; Subterranean Assault; Scything Talons (x2);
     Bio-electric Pulse

1 Tervigon (HQ) @ 195 Pts
     #Dominion; Catalyst; Shadow in the Warp; Synapse Creature; Brood
     Progenitor; Spawn Termagants; Adrenal Glands; Toxin Sacs; Stinger Salvo

1 Tervigon (HQ) @ 195 Pts
     #Dominion; Catalyst; Shadow in the Warp; Synapse Creature; Brood
     Progenitor; Spawn Termagants; Adrenal Glands; Toxin Sacs; Stinger Salvo

13 Termagant Brood (Troops) @ 65 Pts
     Fleshborer

13 Termagant Brood (Troops) @ 65 Pts
     Fleshborer

2 Zoanthrope Brood (Elites) @ 160 Pts
     #Warp Blast; #Warp Lance; Shadow in the Warp; Synapse Creature

1 Mycetic Spore @ [40] Pts
          Lash Whip; Ripper Tentacles

Models in Army: 44http://www.40konline.com/Themes/Astonished_201/images/bbc/orderlist.gif

Total Army Cost: 1499

==============================================================

and the necrons

1 Nemesor Zahndrekh (HQ) @ 185 Pts
     (character); Adaptive Tactics; Counter Tactics; Ever-living; Independent
     Character; Phased Reinforcements; Reanimation Protocols; #Phase Shifter;
     #Resurrection Orb; #Sempiternal Weave; Staff of Light

1 Necron Overlord (HQ) @ 90 Pts
     (character); Ever-living; Independent Character; Reanimation Protocols;
     Staff of Light

1 Vargard Obyron (HQ) @ 160 Pts
     Cleaving Counterblow; Ever-living; Independent Character; Reanimation
     Protocols; The Vargard's Duty; #Ghostwalk Mantle; #Sempiternal Weave;
     Warscythe; Warlord

7 Necron Immortals (Troops) @ 219 Pts
     Reanimation Protocols; Gauss Blaster

1 Night Scythe @ [100] Pts
          Vehicle (Flyer); Capacity: 15; Access Points: 1; Invasion Beams;
          Aerial Assault; Deep Strike; Living Metal; Supersonic; TL Tesla
          Destructor

7 Necron Immortals (Troops) @ 219 Pts
     Reanimation Protocols; Gauss Blaster

1 Night Scythe @ [100] Pts
          Vehicle (Flyer); Capacity: 15; Access Points: 1; Invasion Beams;
          Aerial Assault; Deep Strike; Living Metal; Supersonic; TL Tesla
          Destructor

7 Necron Immortals (Troops) @ 119 Pts
     Reanimation Protocols; Tesla Carbine

1 Annihilation Barge (Heavy Support) @ 90 Pts
     Vehicle (Open-topped, Skimmer); Living Metal; #Quantum Shielding; Tesla
     Cannon; TL Tesla Destructor

1 Annihilation Barge (Heavy Support) @ 90 Pts
     Vehicle (Open-topped, Skimmer); Living Metal; #Quantum Shielding; Tesla
     Cannon; TL Tesla Destructor

1 Doomsday Ark (Heavy Support) @ 175 Pts
     Vehicle (Open-topped, Skimmer); Living Metal; #Quantum Shielding; Gauss
     Flayer Array (x2); Doomsday Cannon

12 Necron Warriors (Troops) @ 156 Pts
     Reanimation Protocols; Gauss Flayer

Models in Army: 41

Total Army Cost: 1503

what do i need to change. he just shoots me before i even get to him and if i do he just moves his planes away from my units everything is armour value 13 untill glanced....

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
I think that with this list you already have a good chance of winning, it is all about match ups and making them work for you.

The most critical match up is your flying hive tyrant, which will have the sky fire special rule against his fliers. His fliers DO NOT have Quantum Shielding and are therefore Armor Value 11 from the get go. You have a greater than 50% chance of taking one of these down with your Hive Tyrant in a round of shooting through glancing (and penetrating) hits. His fliers have three hull points. One of the things this means is you must keep your tyrant in a position where it can't be shot until you have had a go at one of his Night Scythes. You must start him in reserve or behind cover so he can't be seen until one of his fliers hits the board. If you kill one of his fliers, the next priority unit for your hive tyrant, is the other flier, whatever else looks inviting and juicy. He is you only effective way of taking out his fliers.

The next issue you have is how do you remove Quantum Shielding from his big guns. Your best weapon is the Zoanthropes. If there is any way you can take three of these this will be worth it. Your Tervigons look expensive and you only need squads of 10 Termagaunts. However your Trygon making Smash Attacks is also very effective. Start by trying to take out the Doomsday Ark, after that your priority is to take out the Quantum Shielding on the Annihilation Barges. Once the Doomsday Ark is gone you should favor removal of the Quantum Shielding over destruction of a barge, the reason being ....

Your Hive Guard is effective against Barges that have had the Quantum Shielding removed. You should keep these preferably out of sight, they can still fire, or at least in cover. I would prefer to see you target barges without Quantum Shielding with these wherever possible. This is different to what I have recommended for your Zoanthropes and your Trygon.

Your Genestealers are there to take out troops by emerging from cover, there will be at least one squad of Immortals not in a flier and the Warriors that are available for assault. These are your targets.

You have one element left in your army, the Termagaunts and the Tervigons. You want to try and keep the Tervigons alive as long as possible. I suspect he will get tied up trying to eliminate your tyrant, Zonathropes and Trygon to pay too much attention to them. Consider spawning later in the game to make sure you have several troop options still alive to take objectives unless a Tervigon is down to a small number of wounds left. Taking and disputing objectives is their major function and in the case of the Termagaunts, being a distraction. A lot of people will immediately try to take a Biomancy power on the Tervigons. Dominate is very useful if you have a lot of Termagants to control which you will need to do in multi objective games.

There, that's my two pennies for you, hope you start to win a few more games.

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2013, 08:07:20 PM »
awesome helps alot. would it be safe to wait till say turn 2 to bring the hive guards up the board to be in range of the enemy? or when your trygon tervigon and hive tyrant are all in his face.