News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1.5K airial assault list  (Read 749 times)

Offline 29+12

1.5K airial assault list
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
Right, first off sorry if this post is confusing but I've got so many ideas for these list that i didn't want to post a whole list every time.

The main theme of the army is that everything will be coming in via DS or outflank, thus negating the enemy's first 1 or 2 turns of shooting. Hopefully because of the method of deployment my opponenet won't effectively be able to plan and chaos will break out once I land =]

So the core of the army is as follows:

- Deathleaper OR 6x Ymgrals (depending on what i feel like playing at that point)

- 3x Zoans in a bare spore
 - The Doom in a bare spore

- 8 Stealers, upgrade to Broodlord
 - 8 Stealers, upgrade to Broodlord

Now for the options, I could either take:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A)
- Tyrant, 2 scytals, Wings, Hive Commander, Adrenals, Toxic Miasma, Acid Blood, Regeneration, Leech, Paroxysm
- 24x Gaunts, toxin sacs (outflanks)

- +1 stealer for both squads

- 3x spore mines
- 3x spore mines
- 3x spore mines

The spore mines are used to controll the enemy's deployment to a certain extent, either pushing them away from deploying on/near obj.s or more likely trying to force them to deploy nearer the edges so my outflankers can get a charge off when they appear.

- toxin sacs on the stealers
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OR
B)
 - Prime, sword and whip, deathspitter, adrenals
 - 4x Warriors, sword and whips, deathspitters in a bare spore

These guys will go for the harder targets as they'll get loads of PW attacks on the charge and can fire 15 strX shots when they land all at the higher WS and BS of the Prime

- 3x spore mines
- 3x spore mines
- 3x spore mines

- scytals on broodlords

- fex, scytals, T-L Brainleech, Bio Plasma, Fragspines, Adrenals in a bare spore

The fex will add considerably to my AT as it can (if not behaving instinctively) down AV10 rear armour with its T-L brainleech and plasma. Alternatively it can massacre some infantry. It's just an amazing all rounder really and can even charge into cover at I4! The only problem i have with him is his cost and need to have synapse near it to be fully effective.
OR
C)
 - Prime, sword and whip, deathspitter,  adrenals
 - 5x Warriors, sword and whips, deathspitters in a bare spore

- 3x Warriors, Deathspitters, Rending Claws, Adrenals, Venom Cannon in a spore with a Venom Cannon

Here i tried to replace the fex in the last list and managed to get another warrior in the prime's squad as well as another squad with a VC. The idea here being that they'll land <6" away from a AV10 rear armour tank and try to cripple it, if they fail they still have the option to charge it or any other target with an AV near by. Basically I'm trying to counter heavy mech list with these guys.

- +1 stealer for both squads

- 3x spore mines
- 3x spore mines
OR
D)
 - Prime, sword and whip, deathspitter, adrenals
 - 5x Warriors, sword and whips, deathspitters in a bare spore

- scytals on broodlords

- Prime, sword and whip, deathspitter
 - 19x gaunts, toxin sacs in a bare spore

Ok so i loose a lot of AT here but i gain a very scary mob of gaunts right on your doorstep. One problem though is that if I'm very unlucky and only these guys come in on turn 2 then they're going to get hit pretty badly.

Also this list builds up the my 2000pts list pretty well

So which option do you guys think would work better?
any comments welcome.

Offline Shinto Ryu

• Masakatsu Agatsu!
Re: 1.5K airial assault list
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:42:41 AM »
I like A because of the Flyrant, although I would not put so many upgrades on him, the Hive Commander and Adrenal Glands are the most potent IMO. And 24 outflanking Gaunts is very effective, but dangerous.

I like C because of the extra warrior brood, when you are going to outflank and DS all over the place some extra synapse never hurts!

So maybe a mix of the 2:

- Flyrant, 2 scytals, Hive, Adrenal, Leech, Parox (265)

- Deathleaper OR 6x Ymgrals (depending on what you feel like playing at that point) (140/138)

- 3x Zoans in a bare spore (220)
 - The Doom in a bare spore (130)

- 8 Stealers, upgrade to Broodlord (158)
 - 8 Stealers, upgrade to Broodlord (158)

- 3 x warriors, pair of boneswords, adrenal in bare spore (175)
 - 3 x warriors, pair of boneswords, adrenal in bare spore (175) OR 22 Gaunts in a Spore

13 Gaunts (outflanking) (78)

This is still in the same idea as you were going for but takes the best (IMO) of your ideas together. The number of gaunts are just the points that were left or instead of 1 warrior brood. With upgrades they tend to cost to much, and maybe only the outflanking ones have the chance to go into cc without the loss of models. But if you come at the wrong tableside with a big chunk of gaunts doing nothing, it is a waste. (yesterday I had 16 of them outflanking and charging 2 Dark Angels Squads together with 8 genestealers with toxin sacs, they cleaned up... hard!) Broodlords I have never tried, they are harder to kill, have abilities and more attacks.. but I am a stern believer of toxin sacs on the genestealers! An extra chance to roll 6's is gold. (if you can re-roll)

The 2 bone swords I think are great, they do not give the I 1 in base contact but the adrenal glands should give you more than enough Initiative for the most part. Also stupid scarab swarms that will try to tarpit you will be instakilled easily, or other special characters etc.
Deathspitters are great, and I understand the need to shoot harder coming out of a spore, but in 1500 games I believe every single point should go to more models or die hard cc. Only in combination with a prime the are really worth it. But I seem to take the: only shoot or only cc approach. Doing both will make them to expensive.

I still find it hard to find a good balance in 1500 points.
You want a high headcount but without upgrades some of those units are not that effective. But the same goes for your enemies of course :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:49:43 AM by Shinto Ryu »
Military conquest is a matter of coordination, not of masses.
                                                                                             - Sun Tzu -

Offline 29+12

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »
I think gaunts are one of our best 'nasty surprise' units, particularly with outflank. oh what's that your Wraithlord is safely sitting at the back sniping my MCs? not any more =] That said I'll probably drop them from the 1500pts list and rather include them once i reach 2000pts.

Also thought about the stealers and I'm going to follow your advice and swap the broodlord for toxin sacs. It just makes them THAT much more powerfull being able to re-roll most to wound rolls, ensuring you get a good amount of rends.

my only real concern is wether a fex is a better option than the Hive Tyrant?

I'd like to hear Chuckles' opinion on this one as he seems to be a supporter of the fex's.

The 2 bone swords I think are great, they do not give the I 1 in base contact but the adrenal glands should give you more than enough Initiative for the most part. Also stupid scarab swarms that will try to tarpit you will be instakilled easily, or other special characters etc.
Deathspitters are great, and I understand the need to shoot harder coming out of a spore, but in 1500 games I believe every single point should go to more models or die hard cc. Only in combination with a prime the are really worth it. But I seem to take the: only shoot or only cc approach. Doing both will make them to expensive.

The only reason i gave them lash whips was sothat they could charge into cover without going last, however giving them adrenal glands makes them a duel threat to AV10 rear armour as well so I'll change that. I'm still going to keep the deathspitters as i hate not being able to do anything the turn i land. This way i can land, wipe out an infantry squad/shoot at AV10 and then assault the real nasties next turn (or more likely get assaulted). It also allows me to sit tight when there is an enemy squad in cover and shoot them instead, forcing them to come to me.

With all this in mind my updated lists looks like this:

- Prime, B&LW, Deathspitter (100)
 - Warriors x4, Duel Boneswords, Deathspitters, Adrenal Glands, in a bare spore (240)
 - Warriors, Scytals, Rending Claws, Venom Cannon, in a bare spore (150)

- Ymgral Genestealers x6 (138)
 - Genestealers x8, Toxin Sacs (136)
 - Genestealers x8, Toxin Sacs (136)

- Zoans x3, in a bare spore (220)
 - The Doom, in a bare spore (130)

AND EITHER

- Fex, Scytals, T-L Brainleech, Bio-plasma, Fragspines, Adrenal Glands, in a bare spore (250)

OR

- Flyrant, Scytals, Bonesword & LW, Hive Commander, Adrenal Glands, Leech, Paroxysm (265)

Thanks a lot for your earlier advice, it helped a lot and I'm much happier with my list atm.

Offline Shinto Ryu

• Masakatsu Agatsu!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:12:32 AM »
Glad to help!

Yes you should have advice on that matter from someone who has experience with the new fex. I don't. I do have some GREAT experience with the flyrant :)
Blowing up a Wave Serpent with Hive Guard, Parox his HQ and instakill his prince and expensive retinue haha wonderful expression I got from that move!

But either way, you've got a pretty hard hitting elite list with this, sounds like both the Flyrant and the Fex will ensure some very good moments in battle!

Good luck
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:35:20 AM by Shinto Ryu »
Military conquest is a matter of coordination, not of masses.
                                                                                             - Sun Tzu -