News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Expanding 1500 to 1750  (Read 463 times)

Offline Spyke

• My hair is awesome!
Expanding 1500 to 1750
« on: July 13, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
Hey all. I'm still working on getting my 1500 point army together, but I have a good idea of what I want. I'm wondering where to go from here. Ideally I want to have a solid 2000 point list without buying much that I don't need. A couple of extra models is no big deal, but I basically want to expand by 1500 list to 1750 and eventually to 2000.

Here's my current 1500 list that I'm working towards assembling:

Hive Tyrant w/ 2 Scything Talons, Wings - 131 pts

4 Warriors w/ Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands (I) - 108 pts
3 Warriors w/ Deathspitters (1 Barbed Strangler), Rending Claws, Enhanced Senses - 92 pts

15 Gaunts w/ Spinefists -  75 pts
16 Hormagaunts -  160 pts
10 Genestealers -   160 pts

Ravener w/ Scything Talons, Rending Claws - 40 pts

Carnifex w/ Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon, Enhanced Senses - 148 pts
2 Zoanthropes w/ Warp Blast - 110 pts

So, from here I would like to expand to 1750 points. I've been tossing around several possibilities and come up with two different options. I'll post them as separate lists:

Idea 1:

4 Warriors w/ Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands (I), Leaping - 140 pts
4 Warriors w/ Deathspitters (1 Barbed Strangler), Rending Claws, Enhanced Senses - 122 pts

16 Gaunts w/ Spinefists -  80 pts

2 Raveners w/ Scything Talons, Rending Claws - 80 pts

3 Zoanthropes w/ Warp Blast - 165 pts

Here I added a Warrior to the smaller squad, added leaping to the CC squad, added 3 Raveners and a Zoan.

Idea 2:

4 Warriors w/ Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands (I), Extended Carapace - 119 pts
4 Warriors w/ Deathspitters (1 Barbed Strangler), Rending Claws, Enhanced Senses - 122 pts

3 Zoanthropes w/ Warp Blast - 165 pts

In this one I again added a Warrior to the smaller squad, gave the CC squad EC, added a Zoan and another Sniperfex.

Any advice as to which list would be better, if either, is greatly appreciated. Changes to either 1750 list or the 1500 list would be helpful too where appropriate. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Offline Smellofwetdog

Re: Expanding 1500 to 1750
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:17:38 PM »
well 1500 to 1750 is a relatively small point jump so probably anything you put in there will be fine since you're really not changing the composition of your list at all just the numbers.  Having said that I do like the 2nd list with the additional carnifex, but that's just because I love carnifexes. 

I like the additional warrior changes, but one thing to consider is leaving the shooty warriors at 3 and adding more warriors to the CC brood since I always find 3 underperform when they arrive in CC (I need all the rending attacks I can get). 
I like the extra zoanthrope since they're great all purpose heavy hitters. 
Adding additional raveners costs almost as much as a brood of hormagaunts/genestealers and I doubt you'll see a whole lot change in performance from them.  So ya I would go with list 2.  The carnifex brings a whole world of ranged pain, and the psychological value of confusing your enemy with another huge scary monster is always a plus. 

Offline Spyke

• My hair is awesome!
Re: Expanding 1500 to 1750
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 05:30:42 PM »
Thanks. I was kinda leaning towards that one too. My main problem is that I love the Ravener models. I think they're so cool lol. I also like the idea to put the extra shooty warrior in the CC squad and bulk them up a bit. I'm liking this as my 1750 list. Eventually I'll think up another expansion of this to 2000 points, but I'm not sure what I want. I was thinking a Dakka Tyrant and Guard with maybe some more warriors. I don't know though. Any advice on the list progression is still greatly appreciated.