News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chainaxes irrelevant?  (Read 714 times)

Offline LoreGar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Chainaxes irrelevant?
« on: February 1, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »
With the new updates on chainswords having -1 AP, same as chainaxes, Berzerkers no longer gain an advantage with axes against regular Space Marines. The strength bonus doesnt help since you're already having higher strength than MEQ toughness, so the strength bonus doesn't help on wound rolls. Since there isn't an AP advantage anymore, and the Strength advantage never was there (against regular marines) is there any point in taking axes? It seems like the extra attack is better than the strength bonus in case I have to fight a tank.

I play mostly Word Bearers, but I'm considering a World Eaters detachment for the lolz. If I want to melee fight a tank, I'll try to summon bloodletters and send it. I know summoning isn't great, but I like doing it for the fluff and SURPRISE

Please avoid posting unnecessary rules and statistics, as this could get us into trouble with GW legal - Iris.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2021, 10:07:35 AM by Irisado »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Chainaxes irrelevant?
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2021, 08:53:06 AM »
You're paying for the strength bonus at this point, so the value is based on that.

It does allow you to wound most vehicles on a 4+ instead of a 5+. It's also a basically free upgrade, so there is really no reason not to take it. Unless you're really scrapped for points.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Chainaxes irrelevant?
« Reply #2 on: February 1, 2021, 02:55:23 PM »
A lot of things in the new marines codex is T5, soo yeah, for the point cost, chain axes are still worth it. There are also T3 armies floating around, you'll most likely run into sister and Dark Eldar soon.