News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The 9th Edition Aeldari Update Archive  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: The 9th Edition Aeldari Update Archive
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2022, 07:36:20 PM »
I've been waiting to buy an Avatar, and seeing this new mini, I'm very excited. I'll definitely pick it up. It'll be a big painting challenge but hopefully will soon be leading my armies across the tabletop
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2022, 06:42:39 AM »
bunch of new scuplts revealed for Eldar.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/28/lvo-2022-the-reborn-avatar-of-khaine-leads-another-new-wave-of-aeldari-reinforcements/

Avatar now has 3 head options and 3 wargear options, Axe, speak, sword. I'm torn between the traditional helmet and the no helmet look, they both look good. Also torn between the spear and good ole sword...

If the bloody arm was out stretched pointing or taunting an enemy the no hair axe load out would be a super cool pose.

Really not a fan of the flames, it looks like an after thought rather than being sculpted on, especially the one a the foot, I hope these are optional bits.

Once you notice the following it will slap you in the face every time you look at it, so if you love the new model skip this bit:
The "blood" looks dumb, its not running from his hand, it looks like it is over flowing from the top of bracer and only on one side, which defies gravity...I hope this is an optional bit too..
The loin cloth, hair, flames and blood are not all flowing in the same direction...

New Maugan Ra looks siiiiick...  The really long spin is growing on me, but I hope he is beefier than the death jester in real life, difficult to tell from the image.  The model flows correctly.. this one is going to be high on my wish list ;)

They gave us a good look at the new shinning spears... Noticed one of them has a shuriken cannon... SS with cannons... I can hear the screams already... They also look like they have larger bases than Windriders or even the Harlie bikes.

The models look nice, really only personal taste things, like the large fins look like they are in the wrong place and that gap on the helmets..

I like the cradle for the lance is a really nice touch, this looks like it is an option as the cradle is not their for the SS with sword..

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2022, 06:53:15 AM »
The alternative heads for the Avatar are awful, but otherwise my previous comments still stand and I like the flames personally.  I suspect that they are optional extras.  They certainly look that way to me.

As for Maugan Ra, the hood gives the model a whole new aesthetic that I definitely like.  The original model was good, but this one takes this Phoenix Lord to another level entirely.

The Shining Spears are a significant improvement over previous sculpts.  Their design is more sleek and flowing.  The improvements to the poses make these Aspect Warriors much more impressive than they used to be.  I also appreciate their new helmet design because it gives them more of a unique look than before.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2022, 08:41:49 AM »
Just stunning models all around. I'm glad I don't play craftworlds, my wallet is safe.

Quote from: magenb
They gave us a good look at the new shinning spears... Noticed one of them has a shuriken cannon... SS with cannons... I can hear the screams already...

They mentioned it's just for the Exarch, but jetbikes with heavy weapons are not the boogeyman they were in 7th in anycase. No one runs windriders anyway, the move away from troops removed the oppression they had on the game.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2022, 08:56:55 AM »
The huge skull-shaped pauldrons on Maugan Ra look a little goofy, but otherwise it's cool.

I had a surprisingly negative reaction to the helmetless Avatar. I guess in my mind the Avatar isn't just some dude putting on armor, it's more that the whole figure manifests complete, wargear and body being effectively one, if that makes sense. No idea if that makes sense lorewise, probably not. But it's just a matter of taste.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2022, 11:28:39 AM »
I actually like the classical-spartan helm on the Avatar, but I could tell the front on 2-D image that it looked bad because of the angle. I think it'll look great viewing it in person, but, of course, the traditional Avatar helmet is still awesome!

In the preview, the Warhammer Community team did confirm that these are all the new models coming out with the codex. Of course, I have a suspicion that we're going to see another wave or two with other campaign expansions next year or something like that.

I love the shining spears! I am having visions of trying to paint that white that crisp, but I have other ambitions too.

I'm really wanting to see the corsair team, the one model they showed was awesome!

I like Maugan Ra, wish he didn't have the backpack and spine, but he's cool regardless. His weapon is awesome!

Overall, really pleased with these releases - can't wait for the codex release!

JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2022, 01:47:50 PM »
No one runs windriders anyway...

It's more likely that you just haven't met anyone who runs Jetbike squadrons lately.

I had a surprisingly negative reaction to the helmetless Avatar. I guess in my mind the Avatar isn't just some dude putting on armor, it's more that the whole figure manifests complete, wargear and body being effectively one, if that makes sense. No idea if that makes sense lorewise, probably not. But it's just a matter of taste.

I don't think that an Avatar without a helmet would make sense according to the lore.  It definitely does not make sense with the narrative description of how the Avatar is created and how the armour bonds to the host.  As you rightly say, it's a fusion and not just an Exarch putting on a unique armour, and the helmetless figure does not reflect that.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2022, 02:41:21 PM »
Seeing as the Avatar is, in essence, a psychically attuned statue animated by the furious spark of a god, i don't really see the problem with a helmetless head. Different Craftworlds are going to have different representations of Khaine as he is arrayed for war.

I still prefer the standard one, but i don't have anything particularly negative to say about the others, beyond the fact i don't generally like helmetless heads.

It's the blood that gets me. It just looks so... Bad. I'm not even sure how you'd fix it either, but it stands out on an otherwise fantastic model like a sore thumb... Maybe it would look better darker...

Other than that, i can't think of a new model that i wouldn't want. I'm stoked that the Eldritch Omens box set is Chaos and Eldar, because that means my brother and i can go splits on it and not waste anything. Because i suspect i'm going to need the extra budget for a few more of these.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2022, 03:02:13 PM »

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2022, 05:59:26 PM »
I am curious to see the rest of the kill team,  and what they'll be up against. I'm really interested in the new Version of kill team,  and once I can play regularly again,  I'm sure I'll dive in.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Psycho_Bone

• Armies: Eldar - Ulthwé
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2022, 12:03:16 AM »
I love the new Avatar. The old style helmet is the most intimidating of the three choices so I'll surely go with that.

I think the problem with the flames can be easily corrected with a better paint job. They have edge highlighted flames, which doesn't seem right.

And the bloody hand itself, painted like that it does look more like a bloody wrist. Again, this is something that can be solved with a better paintjob and maybe the addition of green stuff in the hand to make it appear as dripping.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2022, 12:06:16 AM »
I love the new Avatar. The old style helmet is the most intimidating of the three choices so I'll surely go with that.

I think the problem with the flames can be easily corrected with a better paint job. They have edge highlighted flames, which doesn't seem right.

And the bloody hand itself, painted like that it does look more like a bloody wrist. Again, this is something that can be solved with a better paintjob and maybe the addition of green stuff in the hand to make it appear as dripping.

Hi Psyhco_Bone!

I agree with  you about the paint job, most of the issues with the avatar I think could be solved with some more imaginative paint jobs. I'm not too bothered by the blood or fire in either case, still super happy with the Avatar.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #52 on: February 1, 2022, 06:37:37 AM »

I just find it utterly baffling that, in a world in which GW has produced Blood for the Blood God specifically for this kind of effect...they decided, 'yeah, nah...we're gonna just use regular paints and make it look like a decorative element, rather than the thing in the fluff'

Other than that, I think the model is very impressive. The flames are a bit meh, but hopefully they're optional, or a better paint job will do wonders. I'm looking forward to painting it, that's for sure.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

• Ancient
« Reply #53 on: February 7, 2022, 11:25:06 AM »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 7, 2022, 02:56:51 PM »
I agree.  There are some very impressive and detailed sculpts in that group.  Some of the weapons also have a retro-look that I find rather appealing.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #55 on: February 7, 2022, 03:27:17 PM »
it is an interesting mix of DE bits, boots, guns, helmets, even the runes, but very CWE influenced. The lore has corsair psykers as being more wild, never pictured them with CWE psyker helmets. They all look awesome. The one with the two daggers is a stand out for me :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2022, 03:24:07 PM »
New avatar is nice but my 28 year old metal is going to keep me from buying him.

Maugan ra is a maybe. Beautiful model tho.

Shining spears, well what can i say, i converted my old ones already years ago but will still get at least a box.

Corsairs for sure. They look amazing and for a kt you bet.

I like alot of the new kits but some just wont make it into my already huge army.

Reapers yes. I have all 3 generations and will gladly add the 4th as i did with the banshees.

The codex is whats got me the most excited tho and hope it doesnt disappoint.

8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2022, 10:04:02 PM »
Are there any exciting new things in the Codex?

• Ancient
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2022, 03:56:41 PM »
Are there any exciting new things in the Codex?

Yes. Looks like a complete overhaul to all datasheets.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2022, 02:43:03 PM »
So just read the guardians new rules...think ill be taking them again after all these years. Catapults are worth it now and the shield platform, just wow.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword