News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Has the new codex revitalised your interest in the game and the forum?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Well, questions in the title.  Peanut suggested I ask here.

So, has it?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Has the new codex revitalised your interest in the game and the forum?
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
Well I have to say, YES! Prior to its release, my Eldar saw very little table time. The old rules just didn't flow with 6th ed very well. Now the new dex opened up several possibilities that are different from my old playstyle but seems to have a better balance for this edition. My main happy is the no wraith sight anymore, that in itself made a lot of difference for me. I find myself bringing units I didn't field since 4th ed but also quit using some I liked before. It also got me posting here more as well as reading in the forums more. Painting seems to have increased thru the community as well.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2014, 09:56:13 AM »
Can't say that it is has changed my opinion on either really Mr Land Rover. I own models for Orks, Tyranids, Space Marines and Dark Eldar so I buy these new Codicies just in case I ever get around to assembling and playing a game with the stuff that I have bought. I also buy the Codicies for armies that I don't own just so I can have a complete collection. As for the forum my interest level hasn't changed since I joined or since the Codex was released. I like reading so I tend to read most of the posts that are made on here & I like to think that if I ever do eventually play a game the knowledge I have gained off this site will really help. Nothing to do with the Codex but over time I have tried to change my attitude to my posting habits. There was a time I wouldn't have bothered posting in this thread but I now try to post in any thread I feel I can contribute to.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2014, 12:39:33 PM »
I've got every 6th ed. Codex so far too, to have a complete collection.  Has it renewed my interest in the game and the forum?  Yes and yes.  I'm actually looking to make a Kill Team for every faction, and to rebuild my Guard collection (when the book comes up).  And I've come back here to share it all.  I hear the place had a downturn during my hiatus but I for one will work to turn that around.  Hey, these Captain Stars aren't for nothing y'know.

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
I wonder how many people buy all the codices, for purposes of reading/collecting/getting to know everyone's army better. I wouldn't have thought it was a ton given the current $50 US price tag: those are some expensive books to maintain a constant and uptodate collection on. Seems like a large chunk of people here do though.

Anyways... my return to the site actually did coincide fairly closely to the new SoB digital only codex, although it wasn't spurred by that. In fact, I have yet to actually pick it up and likely won't until I finish getting everything painted and feel I have the time to get in a game or two. So I'd say it was more of a random urge than anything particularly codex related. I am glad they got a new and non-white dwarf codex though, even if I'm stuck without the option of a "real" book one. And I certainly will pick it up eventually. I just have a good enough feel of the list to finish putting together the last few bits of an army without it (other than specific wargear details), and my main goal at the moment really revolves more around painting than playing, so the actual book is sort of a nonfactor.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
Well Starstrider, I think once you look over the sisters dex, you will notice it is not much different. Points decreases as well as a few increases. I agree with each of them. Having our own traits table is nice too. Making regular sister units smaller is a bonus too. There are a few other surprises in it as well. Happy gaming!!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2014, 07:19:17 PM »
I have the SoB codex too.  I think it's not bad, but I have no experience with or against the sisters so, I wouldn't know.  :P

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:21:08 PM »
I have the SoB codex too.  I think it's not bad, but I have no experience with or against the sisters so, I wouldn't know.  :P

I have it and regularly play with a force. I think it's fine, myself. It definitely has a few narrow optimization bands (more reason to take a generic Canoness now, but Celestine is still an excellent deal). Faith is probably overall weaker, but it at least scales and is less random. Some of my experiences may be just my local meta and the realities of my own collection.

For me, the current army I'm playing with and painting is influenced by a new Codex for that army.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Draggo Blacksun

• The never ending crusade will, umm.... Never End!
  • Armies: Black Templar 6000+ pts, Soon SOB 1500 pts
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 07:16:12 AM »
I would have to say that the loss of the Black Templars codex has slightly deminished my interest in the game. So now my Black Templar models have been packed away, or used as counts as for my Sisters of Battle army. Which Im still in the process of building. Over all I like the white dwarf codex for the sisters. I have heard of the electronic codex for them but after seeing what GW did to my beloved Templars, I have avoided it like the plague.

If it comes down to having to play using only the digital codex, as the case may be for tournements. Then i'll just not play in them... but I am more then willing to play anyone who will allow me to use the BT codex, or the WD Sisters codex as they should be.
For Sigismund, Dorn and..... FOR THE EMPEROR!
8th ed record
                                W / D / L
Black Templars         1 / 1  / 3
Sisters of Battle          2 / 0 / 1

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
  • Armies: space wolfs.  IG armored company
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:41:56 AM »
I have to agree with draggo.

When the new nid codex came out i just repointed what i had on index cards.  Put them back in the box and smiled sadly. Disappinted in nids as of late.  I have a genestealet army that feels like it doesnt belong on the table in 6tha edition.

Still hoping IG.spacewolfs,ork codex has something to bring me back

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
I would have to say that the loss of the Black Templars codex has slightly deminished my interest in the game. So now my Black Templar models have been packed away, or used as counts as for my Sisters of Battle army. Which Im still in the process of building. Over all I like the white dwarf codex for the sisters. I have heard of the electronic codex for them but after seeing what GW did to my beloved Templars, I have avoided it like the plague.

If it comes down to having to play using only the digital codex, as the case may be for tournements. Then i'll just not play in them... but I am more then willing to play anyone who will allow me to use the BT codex, or the WD Sisters codex as they should be.

Black Templars have been folded into Codex: Space Marines. If you don't own a copy of that book, you would be doing your Templars a big disservice because they gained enormously from the transition. They still keep most of what made them unique before and their characters such as Helbrecht have only gotten better. I fail to see how losing almost nothing and gaining Command Squads, Sternguard, Vanguard, Legion of the Damned, Centurions, Stormravens, Thunderfire Cannons, Bikers as Troops with the right Captain, Master of the Forge Dreadnaught lists and Land Raider Redeemers is cause for disappointment.

Oh and you don't have to take the Emperor's Champion anymore either, though he is an option unique to Black Templars.

Offline Draggo Blacksun

• The never ending crusade will, umm.... Never End!
  • Armies: Black Templar 6000+ pts, Soon SOB 1500 pts
@ Caustic

They still keep most of what made them unique before and their characters such as Helbrecht have only gotten better.
So they still have their vows that affect the whole army not just one or two models?..... no
So they still have their zeal move?...... No
So they still can buy POTMS for any vehical?....... No
So they still can have Blessed hull? ........ No
So do they still have the holy hand grenade?........ No
So ?....... NO

The only thing they still have is the crusader sqds.

I fail to see how losing almost nothing and gaining Command Squads, Sternguard, Vanguard, Legion of the Damned, Centurions, Stormravens, Thunderfire Cannons, Bikers as Troops with the right Captain, Master of the Forge Dreadnaught lists and Land Raider Redeemers is cause for disappointment.

Oh and you don't have to take the Emperor's Champion anymore either, though he is an option unique to Black Templars.

gaining huh?... well this is my opinion so feel free to dissagree

Command sqds .... not really worth it
Sternguard,...... Actually I have to admit... these are nice and might be worth their points and taking in my army
Vanguard,....... Not worth it, besides an assault unit that cant take a melta? really?
Legion of the Damned, ...... Dont know about these never played, with or against, so cant judge
Centurions,........ Paper tigers. Scary, but spray them with water and they fold.
Stormravens, ......... I would love to have a flyer.... so oh yes please
Thunderfire Cannons, ...... Can be effective, specially if they hit on target.... So wouldnt mind
Bikers as Troops with the right Captain, ..... Ah... you just said it has to take the right captain so.. no thank you. Playing BTs not White scars
Master of the Forge Dreadnaught lists ......Sounds interesting... but situational.
Land Raider Redeemers..... Yes I would like some flame to go with my fury

The only real improvement with the (betrayal) fold into the SM codex, was the drop in points and the inclusion of grenades.

And cough .. cough... splutter.... NOT TAKE THE EMPERORS CHAMPION????    Are you mad????. One of the coolest, both in rules and model, units to field. He's epic.
For Sigismund, Dorn and..... FOR THE EMPEROR!
8th ed record
                                W / D / L
Black Templars         1 / 1  / 3
Sisters of Battle          2 / 0 / 1