News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How do you paint Death Gaurd  (Read 748 times)

Offline (CoD)Phredom

• Make pancakes
How do you paint Death Gaurd
« on: April 13, 2003, 10:19:48 PM »
i know i already posted this in the painting section but maybe i can get more of a response here.

well i guess its all in the subject title. (i wanna paint em with the colors like GW uses any one know what color they are and how to apply them?) o ya what undercoat? black or white?  thanks

Offline LordMinkie

• Fear the Wrath of the one known as Sephiroth!
Re:How do you paint Death Gaurd
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 02:41:24 AM »
lemme pull out my codex...

that color is kind of hard to place. I'd say they base coated in a mixture of bleached bone and snot green and then dry brushed a mix of white and snot green. Then the trim was painted with mithril silver and then a watered down brown ink for some of the details. Some gore red for spilling intestines. rotting flesh for plague marine skin.

And I can't say I know for sure if that's right.

I think you should experiment with different color schemes using the pairs they suggested. The way I'm painting my death gaurd is that I'm base coating in camo green and then I am trimming in dwarf bronze. Then I'm painting flesh tones in rotting flesh. the bolters in black and snakebite leather. The back pack with drybrushed silver and then I'm inking the whole model with a watered down green ink. I'm also going to try to make their CC weapons seem as if they're dripping with venom so I'm using bilious green as a trimming element for the blades.

I hope this helped. Anyone else want to take a shot at what colors they used for the models shown in the codex?
'I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save the species.
I wanted to open up the dump valves on oil tankers and smother those french beaches I'd never see.
I wanted to breathe smoke.'
- Edward Norton, Fight Club

'How can you shoot women and children?' 'Easy, you just don't lead em' as much.' -Crazy Helicopter Gunner, Full Metal Jacket

Offline CD

• The Plagued Reaper
  • Ancient
  • :\
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2003, 09:19:53 PM »
Mine look a lot like the one's from the dex, but i don't use as complicated a colour scheme as theirs.

black spray
bestial brown undercoat
heavy drybrush camo green
mithril silver on rims and such
drybrush rotting flesh on

for their skin, just rotting flesh mixed with a bit of camo green and a bit of golden yellow. Add more rotting flesh to make it more uniform, or add less to make certain areas look more yellow/green than the other areas.

bolters/bolt pistols, scab red with mithril silver and/or chainmail. easily done.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 12:28:07 PM »
I primed the model with chaos black, and then i drybrushed bronzed flesh, then camo green, rotting flesh. Then i applied darkened green ink and finally two highlights, again with camo green and rotting flesh.

jwu

Offline (CoD)Phredom

• Make pancakes
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 03:30:08 PM »
ah thanks guys that helps alot...now just to get moeny....

Offline Norsehawk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 10:56:56 PM »
I did something a bit different with my plague marines, I base coated them black, drybrushed with woodland green (real old bottle of gw paint) then used green glaze quite liberally, the intestine parts I did in pink, and did a nice gloss coat to make it look really sickening and putrid...