News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "assault" havocs  (Read 1491 times)

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
"assault" havocs
« on: January 29, 2003, 06:28:04 PM »
anyone tried this yet..having a squad of havocs all with flamers and meltas and plasma guns??

was wondering if it bombed or not

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
Re:"assault" havocs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 06:40:45 PM »
I have used a unit of 4 Meltaguns as well as 4 Plasmaguns, both upgraded with the veteran skill of Infiltrate or Move Through Cover (or both, in the right game).

The Meltagun unit was proficient at taking out APCs that got too close, as well as scaring my enemy into moving in another pattern than he had planned.

The Plasma rifle unit was devastating to enemy troop movements.

Volren

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 06:55:46 PM »
My Death Guard Havocs are outfitted as assault (naturally). They have two meltas, two plasmas, and usually either Tank Hunter or Infiltrate.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 08:57:30 PM »
My Death Guard Havocs are outfitted as assault (naturally). They have two meltas, two plasmas, and usually either Tank Hunter or Infiltrate.

Yeah, the two melta and two plasma combo is another good option. I played a game on a jungle terrain board against Dark Eldar using two units like this with Move Through Cover...and DAMN they did well.

Offline Necromortis

• Deprieved Sorceror
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 09:29:03 PM »
Yes, I have played a few games (against myself) with this combo, and I think that a unit with Plasma Guns works best.  But if you are playing Imperial Guard, then definataly take 4 meltaguns.  They knock out tanks.

Offline Djinn_

• mercy?.... *I'm confused*
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2003, 11:45:18 PM »
wait.. I'm missing one part.. usre havocs deliver great hits, but they're primary targets, how do you keep them from getting blown to bits?
Worship the purity of corruption.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 12:10:06 AM »
wait.. I'm missing one part.. usre havocs deliver great hits, but they're primary targets, how do you keep them from getting blown to bits?

Cover is a way to start. Providing other very dangerous topics is another way to do it. Make your opponent choose between your Havocs and your Daemon Prince, or your Predator, etc.

Offline Djinn_

• mercy?.... *I'm confused*
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 04:58:35 AM »
but assaulting them means not much cover. I suppose you could bring them up as one squad in a rhino formation, one of the more protected ones, that could work really nicely. And ya, the making them choose is always good =)
Worship the purity of corruption.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 11:34:50 AM »
A Rhino isn't necessary at all. Simple flank around the side, using whichever skill you chose to the best advantage.

Master Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 05:04:38 PM »
Has anyone tried to outfit the Havocs with 4 Flamers and mount them in a Rhino with your Lord?  That looks like it could be a devastating combo

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2003, 05:29:14 PM »
I dunno if it would do well, it depends on the enemy. If they're a horde army, it could be dangerous.

Offline greencheese

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2003, 09:13:44 PM »
there is still one thing that would set back the assault havoc squad big time -- new assault rules as they currently stand.  

can you imagine what tremendous irony it would be for a 10-man havoc squad with 4-melta ccw-bp to  pop a wave serpent, only to have the striking scorpions assault them the next turn, instead of getting the jump on the eldar?

ew.

long range armor-busting is becoming ever more important.  until GW has a sudden outbreak of common sense and declares that transports and passengers are one and the same unit while the latter is still embarked on the former...  ;D

-ygob
orcs ain't evil.  we'z just misunnerstood.

watcha gonna do when orkamania runs waaagh on you?  watcha gonna do???

Offline Zaq

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2003, 10:59:14 PM »
If they changed I suppose BA rushes would be much less effective...and DE would be neutered.

Offline WarpedStuff

• NOO!!! I've done Spammage, and it's bannage.
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2003, 12:23:30 AM »
How large are you guys's squads of havocs usually? i dont have any melta guns of my own but i just sort of combined a CSM bolter and a Flamer into a Melta gun, ( it actually looks like 1 too! lol) but my new CSM  squad box i was going to make a unit of 4 guys w/ hevy bolters but my army doesnt need any more light troop killing weps so i thought the assault havoc squad w/ 2 plasma (or 3) plasma guns and 2 (or 1) melta guns would be the way to go. The thing is, should i fill out my two 9 man squads of CSM's to 10 or should i make my Havoc squad have 8 models? Advice please :)

-Pancakes

P.S. How do you keep an assault squad w/ infiltrate up far enough to shoot w/o being assaulted on turn 1-2-or 3??

I'm sorry but I am banned :(

Offline greencheese

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2003, 08:22:27 AM »
P.S. How do you keep an assault squad w/ infiltrate up far enough to shoot w/o being assaulted on turn 1-2-or 3??

you don't.  unless they're raptors...in which case, you don't want to stay back to shoot...you want to assault first.

missions with pushback 18" mean you will be assaulted in the second turn at the latest (first turn against blood angels or maxed out measurements from vehicle rushes -- move 12, disembark 2, assault 6).   if you get first turn, you get off a few shots.   but you will most likely have to back off.

savvy veterans always have some "pushback unit" of a sort.  things that are frightening enough to make the opponent back off during deployment, will attract a lot of firepower, and which you won't miss when it (inevitably) dies.    chaos dreads, cheap preds, vindicators, ork battlewagons and killa kans, fit the bill.  

devsquads and havoc squads aren't usually good pushback units.   you spent all those points on multiple (and more expensive) heavy weapons...so you WANT to shoot with them as long as possible (whole game, if you can help it), instead of shooting once or twice, and then mixing it up in close combat.  that's a waste of points.

-ygob
orcs ain't evil.  we'z just misunnerstood.

watcha gonna do when orkamania runs waaagh on you?  watcha gonna do???

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2003, 02:54:55 PM »
It depends on the board and the cover. You need to wisely choose your positioning.