News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vanilla chaos, mechanized or footslog  (Read 496 times)

Offline serge

• In the darkness of the FURNITURE there is only WAR
Vanilla chaos, mechanized or footslog
« on: December 23, 2007, 04:35:24 PM »
Hi all,

sorry if this has been discussed before, but for a newbee like me this seems to be the key question. Which one is considered more effective. What are the pro's and con's? Rhinos got cheaper pointwise, and chaos never seemed ubershooty to me, but I am not sure I want to paint a rhino for each squad. Appreciate you comments

also related, what about the FW droppods? Where to find rules for them?

serge
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 08:32:10 AM by serge »

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: Vanilla chaos, mechanized of footslog
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »
Well, the best thing is for you to try them both.

Both can be done effectively, but it all comes down to which one you feel is better.

Pro's and con's can be weighted, but real experience makes a huge difference.

Since you don't know which one, start an army that has elements of both.

Half mechanized and half foot.  It's kind of a WW II mentality... Tanks cover/gain land and infantry hold it.

As for Dreadclaw Droppods, they can be found in FW's Imperial Armor books, they are pricey though... otherwise, they are overpriced drop pods.

I personally play a footslogging army... but I'm heavy with plague marines and not vanilla...  Otherwise, footslogging vanilla's usually end up as horde MEQ kind of army.

My 2 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
Re: Vanilla chaos, mechanized or footslog
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:08:29 PM »
Personally, unless you go completely shooty, footslogging CSM is hard to do.  You can do it with large squads with Icons of Tzeentch (against plasma, battlecannons, etc) or Nurgle (yay large T5 unit), or simply spamming CSM with Icon of Chaos Glory, but it's still hard to play.  Fully mechanized is also tricky, but I think if you know how to use armor effectively it's definitely stronger - the key here is learning how to use armor and Rhinos well.  Half-mech is reasonable, and decent to play, but doesn't have the full strengths of either of the full-style lists.  Doesn't have the full weaknesses either, though.

Unfortunately, since the FW Drop Pods are listed as "Flyers" and appear only in Imperial Armor, most tournaments won't let you play them.  They're also overpriced compared to Imperial drop pods.  However, I've really wanted to make a list using them - Chaos Dreads dropping close, Thousand Sons or Plague Marines appearing close to their targets without taking fire on the way - yeah!
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0