News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000pt tentative armylist (considering chaos)  (Read 654 times)

Offline *Striker*

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • "Oh, all you have left to fire is the flashlights"
1000pt tentative armylist (considering chaos)
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:36:03 PM »
First a bit of info...

Well after my forrays into Fantasy Empire and Imperial Guard, I'm considering sometime in the future doing a crazy thing(or so my wallet thinks) and starting a third army.  When I was thinking about this I took into consideration that I wanted an army that was quite different, as my two current armies are horde armies from the "good side."  Marines seems like an interesting army to go for, and although I've debated between loyalist and traitor marines for some while it seems Chaos wins out because of some of the cooler stuff that can be done with the army list. I have no experience with playing chaos so this list is based on theory hammer.  My object with this list was to create a balanced force with both powerful shooting and some reliable close combat units.  You will notice an absent of demons/daemons as I really don't like them.  In my experiences playing against them they seem to much of a point, click and go unit. I like being a "general".  Also noteable is that I'm not basing this list on a cult, if anything it could be based on the semi-official god of Malal.  Anyways, enough blabbing on, I'm relying on some advice from chaos vets to tell me if this list will "work" or if any of the units in it are, say, the equivelant of tech priests in guard armies(fluffy but for the most part a waste of points.)

HQ:  Chaos Lieutenent
       Daemonic flight, visage, strength, essance, power weapon, plasma pistol
125 pts
-A character to go with the raptors to support their CC.

Chaos Raptors
5(including aspiring champion with power weapon, plasma pistol)
-Worried about their size, but hopefully they will prove to be an effective closecombat unit that can take on other closecombat units.

Chaos marines (5) Heavy bolter, Plasma gun

Chaos marines (5) Heavy bolter, Plasma gun

two redundant squads for troop killing

Chaos Bikes(3) 2 plasmaguns

Fast movers that can take out light armour, or infantry, or tie up expensive shooty units.

Chaos Havoc (6) 3 lascannons, tankhunters

Heavy weapons, lots of of ap2 high strength goodness.

Chaos Predator
Twinlinked lascannon, lascannon sponsons
Mutated hull, dirge caster
-Someone wants their Russ equivelant! Also, dirge caster to give extra leadership to my markless troops.

Well, there it is, my list based on Theory hammer + "it looks cool".  All critique is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 08:55:41 PM by Lt. Striker »

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
Re: 1000pt tentative armylist (considering chaos)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 07:53:57 PM »
Better to put your character near the raptors rather than with them - if he is attached, they can't hit and run, which is one of their best strengths.

In regards to the raptor AC, I would be careful putting a plasma weapon on an expensive 1-wound model, even if he does have a 3+ save.

As for the havocs, it is cheaper and more versitile to give them missile launchers and tank hunters rather than lascannons.  Indeed, with the points you save, you can almost give them a 4th missile launcher.  Or consider giving them autocannons with tankhunters instead - sure, you loose 1 point of strength, but you get double the shots - a better deal against everything but AV 14.  Of course, none of these options are AP 2.

Dirge caster is nice, but does mean that you really have to cluster your forces to benefit from it.   Consider whether having fearless units is worth limiting your deployment in this way.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline *Striker*

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • "Oh, all you have left to fire is the flashlights"
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »
Woops. I had forgotten to put tankhunters into the Havoc squad (It was in the points cost, just forgot to mention it).  However, does it seem a little overkill? Should I go with Missle launchers instead?

Good point about the character, I've been playing too much guard so I forgot independent characters are untargetable when they aren't the closest target. (If i put near the back or middle of the raptors it should work.)

I figured with only 3 static units that it wouldn't be too clustered, I guess my other alternative is to mark them as undivided.

Another question to add.  Are loyalists space marines easily converted to look chaos?  I have some leftover from the battle for macragge set(sold my tyranids.) It would save some money to just use a converted squad.  Also, looking through the online store models I notice there is no readily made chaos commander with jetpack/wings.  Does anyone have any ideas of what are good models to use for converting one?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:23:28 PM »
Ha ha, Seems that quite a few Imperial Generals are coming to the side of chaos!  :D
Now onto the list...
I personally find autocannons to be the best with tank hunter, plus they cost quite a bit less then the lascannons so you could sneak in a forth heavy weapon.:)

The raptors with just 5 men will not really cut it as a close combat unit on their own. They just wont have the numbers to survive long in the heat of melee, Also I have the same comment with the basic troopers. The numbers of models in units is too small.
I'd say make a choice between the bikes and the raptors. Choose one and then beef it up with the points from cutting out the other. I find the best thing to have in an assult unit is numbers.

I like you have a cheaper HQ, that is nice. But essence costs the same as an upgrade to a lord, so why not just do that? Plus be careful with the plasmapistol. They seem to always kill characters (or at least mine).

Onto the last few questions in your second post.

Loyalists are easy to make chaos, you can just file off the imperial eagles and such, and maybe carve some horns out of spare spruces to stick to them. If you have greenstuff you can mess them up with that as well. Chaos is a good army for converting as pretty much anything goes. Any Commander type model can easily have the raptor jetback stuck on instead of a normal pack. I use the chaos lord model myself with an older raptor jetpack and I find it works well enough, though it is not much of a leaping/flying pose. But if you order the older raptor squad champion he could work well as a Jetpack lord or LT.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Adam LongWalker

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »
I personally find autocannons to be the best with tank hunter, plus they cost quite a bit less then the lascannons so you could sneak in a forth heavy weapon.

autocannons/tank hunter rules and a close second is missile launchers.

Seem them and use them both depending on the army I'm playing against.
"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."