News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1800 Necrons VS Eldar, Campaign Game #5 (w/pics)  (Read 4830 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
1800 Necrons VS Eldar, Campaign Game #5 (w/pics)
« on: July 7, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »
1800 Necrons VS Eldar, Campaign Game #5.

Eldar
Farseer: Doom, Mindwar, Stones, Spear, RoW, RoWard.
Farseer: Guide, E-storm, Stones, Spear, RoWard.
6 Scorpions: Exarch with Claw, Stalker, Shadowstrike.
6 Banshees: Exarch MirrorSwords.
6 Pathfinders
10 DA: Exarch with PW & SS, and Bladestorm: mounted in TL-Star Serpent, Shuri-cannon, VE, and Stones.
10 Guardians: Scatterlaser, Warlcok with Conceal.
** 8 Guardians: Defenders --- Sentries ** (which were added to his existing Squad).
1 Vyper: Scatter and Shuri-can
5 Dark Reapers: Ex with Tempest and FA.
Falcon: Pulse, Star, Shuri-can, HF, VE, Stones.
WL: Star and Wraithsword.

1790, not including Sentries...

Necrons
Lord RE
7 Immortals
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
14 Warriors
5 Destroyers
5 Destroyers
4 Destroyers
2 H-Destroyers

1778pts..

Set1-Up
OK here is some of the set-up (well most of his stuff anyway)
Here are his Dire Avengers (Held in Reserve), and the Bashees (Actually in the Falcon) off to the side of the table (the Dice rolling area)...

Here is his Right Flanking Bunkers with Pathfinders, Dark Reaper's, WraithLord and Vyper... (2 Bunkers although they look like buildings - we are using the bottom plate as area terrain with the actual building parts as the "Bunkers" since other guys got the Bunkers before us)

Here are his Scorpions, Farseer's, Guardian Defenders and Falcon... at the forward Bunker to his left flank (once again only the building section is "Bunker" the bottom plate is all area terrain).

My Set-Up was with my Destroyer Squads on my Left Flank (with the 4 pack closest to him), then the Immortals, Warriors, Lord, Warriors, L-Warriors along the rear zone also mostle to the Left, and finally the 2 Heavy Destroyeres on the Right Flank (bait, with options, and I was going for his Falcon before it became "SMF")..

Here is a Diagram with the basics of the Set up (not exact - OK; I know there were more trees out there; but they didn't really effect much, etc.)

Since we knew the Attacker (Necrons) were going first, I did exploit the table for Set-Up, but we also threw in the new 5th Ed rule to "Steal the Initiative" just to add some extra randomness... he rolled a 4 so there was no effect and TMGM had 1st Turn.

Turn 1..
Necrons
     I start by advancing all the Destroyers to ensure good shooting into his flank (PF's, DR's, and WL) The 4 pack went excessively close to try and draw out his WL as well... The Immortals advance to get LOS on his Vyper, all three Warriors groups (and the Lord) enter terrain in front of them, and the H-Destoyers go for broke to get LOS on his Falcon...
The H-Destroyers manage to shake the Falcon (woop-te-dooo). The Warriors have no options nor does the Lord; but they are relatively safe as well. The Immortals shoot and Immobilize and remove the Scatterlaser from the Vyper. Then the Destroyers cut the DR's down to only the Exarch, and the PF's down to 2 figures; but the 4 pack fails to even scratch the Wraithlord (man I hate those things some times as they are tough as nails)...
Eldar
     He does a little shifting; but other than his Falcon and WL, he does not have too much movement. His Vyper uses its Shuri-can to return fire on my Immortals (no-effect). His Guardians shoot my large Warrior squad but only their Scatterlaser has range, and it fails to down any Necrons. His Farseer Dooms one Destroyer squad (4) which is shot and assaulted (I can't believe he rolled a 6 to get out of hte terrain) by the WL (1 goes down - they loose Combat; but pass their LD test). His DR Exarch and PF's put their shots into another Destroyer squad ; but only down 1.

Turn 2..
Necrons  WBB has 1 Destroyer get back up (5, 5, 3).. the 1 in Combat with the WL had no WBB option.
     The 2 mobile Destroyers squads pull back to open up space from the WL (My lure sort of worked as his WL is far to the rear; but some luck on his part could get it back in play ASAP)... The Immortals, Warriors and Lord all continue their advance, with the Warriors and Lord all at the edge of terain and the Immortals gaining steady ground. The 2 H-Destroyers pull back a little but retian LOS on the Falcon. In shooting the H-Destroyers remove his Star-Cannon from the Falcon. The Immortals finish off the Vyper, and the 2 Destroyers squads finish off his Pathfinders and Dark Reaper Exarch. In Close Combat the Destroyers and Wraithlord fail to do anything (bad rolls on his part).
Eldar
     He rolls for reserves and the DA are "IN", he decides to stay aways from the Destroyers and goes to the other flank with them. His Farseer and Scorpions move towards where the Vyper was, and the Falcon advances towards the H-Destroyers (he asked about the Banshee's Movement and Dis-embark... and I realized that he was realatively new to Eldar ... so we took a short pause as we went over most of his units, etc - yes I gave him tacitcal advice as I didn't feel that I needed to "exploit" his inexperience with Eldar). In shooting his Serpent and Falcon took out both H-Destroyers, then his Scatterlaser took down 2 Warriors from the large squad, and after his Farseer Doomed (out of sequence; but I let it pass for this turn) the Destroyers in Combat and Mindwared one from a larger squad. The Close Combat took out another Destroyer, they falied Combat and Broke, fortunately they outran the WL...

Turn 3..
Necrons WBB had the 1 Destroyer from the larger squad self repair, and both Warriros... (not bad for using his dice).
     The 2 Destroyers fail to re-group but the distance they gain form the WL is not a bad thing. The other Destroyers adjust laterally, the Immortals continue their advance as do all the Warriors and Lord. In shooting, I use the Immortals, 1 Warriors Squad and 1 large squd of Destroyers to remove all of his Scorpions; thus his Farseer become "targetable". My second large Destroyer squad unloads into his Farseer, and Doom and Mindwar will no longer be an issue (and his WL will now be taking "Stupidity" test - Wraithsite). The other Warriors have RF range on his Gaurdians and quickly remove all but 5 + Warlock (they then Break and fall back 5 inches, just out of the terrain).
Eldar
     OK, he understands some of his mistakes now (not Infiltrating his PF's and/or Scorpions, Bringing his DA in on the now Empty side of the battle field, falling for the lure with his WL, as I removed some of its shooting and survived combat with it, to leave it stranded).. so his game got better form this point on. Unfortunately he starts off by failing his Wraithsite Test on the WL, so its "Dumb as a Rock" for this turn. His Guardians do re-group, but can't see anything to target. His one Farseer is not possitioned well so he tries to move him back; but rolls poorly (1) and gets stuck in the terrain, his Falcon unloads the Banshees before moving in behind the Bunkers; but then his Serpent crashes as he tries to land by the Bunkers to unload the DA... they do get unloaded safely (Vectored Engines). He moves the Banshees towards the Warriros and then Fleets with them, his Gaurdains Fleet to get a better possition, and his Farseer did Guide his DA.. In shooting, the DA, and serpent kill off a few Warrirors prior to the Bashees assaulting them, in Combat he takes down several more; but sees why Str=3 power weapons are not that freat vs MEQ..

Turn 4.. WBB has several Warriors self repairing (although some didn't have the option due to the Power Weapons in CC).
     The 2 Destroyers re-group... and my line advances as it can with the Destoryers keeping a safe distance from his WL. In shooting my Warriors only manage to take down 2 Dire Avengers (Bunker saved their arses). My 2 Destroyers shake his Falcon, a large Destroyers squad targets and exterminates his Farseer, and the other large Destroyer Squad and the Immortals fail to do anything to his Serpent (I rolled so bad it was rediculous as I actually failed to galnce it once with 29 shots). In CC, the Banshee's and Warriors continue their fight; but he only kills 3 Warriros and I actually got a Banshee in return; here is a pic of the battle at this point (second round..)

Note; that none of those Warriors were getting back up; but he was down to 5 Banshees.
Eldar
     His WL rolls another 1 for Wraithsight, and I can't believe my luck. His army then adjust slightly; but he has little left to work with so he simply tries to hold the bunkers for Mission Objective Points (Smart). In shooting his Guardian Squad knocks down an 2 Destroyers, his DA use Bladestorm to take down 5 Warriors, and his Serpent takes down a Destroyer form the small squad. Then his Banshees finish off my Warrior Squad and use their Massacre move to get into combat with the 1 remaining Destroyer.   

Here is what my army looked like at this point

Turn 5.. WBB has 3 of my Warriors self repair...
     I continue my advance so that I can get into the Bunkers on Turn 6; although the rear one will be tricky. I also try and get away from the mob of Banshees as I don't expect them to stay caught up with the single Destroyer for too long. In shooting, I remove the Star cannons from his Serpent (with Immortal shooting), and here is what is left of his DA and Guardians just before I shoot them again...
... One Destroyer squad (3) and the Warriors and Lord kill off all but 2 DA. The second Destroyer squad (5) takes the Pulselaser off of the Falcon. (what a good round for me). Then in CC, predictably the Banshees rip through that last Destroyer and advance towards my army.
Eldar
     He passes Wraithsight, but he doesn't have much left; his Banshees head into the thick of it, the DA move into the corner bunker, while the Falcon adjust slightly (keep SFM) and the Wraithlord advances.. In shooting his WL fails to hit, the falcon gets an Immortal. Then his Banshees rush into the Immortals and he understands that he made a mistake as their Toughness saves all but 1 of them.... 

Turn 6..
Necrons WBB has 1 Immortal self Repairing (other had no option anyway).
     My force has a combat that is impeeding its progress; thus Destroyers head into Terrain to grab the Corner Bunker (all 3 make their D-terrain test) and the large squad moves into the terrain with the Serpent (all 5 make their D-terrain test)... the Warriors adjsut slightly; but nothing significant. In shooting the 5 Destroyers fail to remove the Serpent (although its useless now). The 3 Destroyers eliminate the last 2 Dire Avengers. And since the Warriors and Lord have no other real option I send them into CC with the Immortals & Banhsees. This tunrs out to be a great idea, as he does take down 2 Immortals; but the Necron mass end up killing off all 5 remaining Banshees. And the Massacre Move puts the Immortals in the Cornder Bunker with the Destroyers.
Eldar
     He passes Wraithsigth again, and advances his WL, while the useless Serpent stays put, and his Falcon moves into the farthest Bunker (passes the D-terrain test - holds the bunker). In shooting, he kills off one Immortal (4 remaining) but fails to assault into the terrain.

Results, 1 Bunker Necrons (corner), 1 Bunker Eldar (Farthest) and 1 Bunker contested (Serpent and Destroyers)...
Eldar VP's: Bunker = 600, remaining (WL, 1/2 Serpent, Falcon = 450ish), Kills (14 Wars, 4 Dests, 2 H-dests = 580ish) --- total 1630vp's
Necron VP's: Bunker = 600, remaining (Lord (NS), 10 Wars, 8/10 Wars, 4/7 Imms, 5 Dest, 3/5 Dest = 1050ish), Kills (Lots... = 1350ish) --- total 3000vp's

I out scored him by almost 1400VP's for a clear Necron Victory

It should be noted that Kyle was inexperienced vs Necrons, and we had a major tactical discussion after the game to go over the importance of target priority, unit saturation and destruction, etc... I also went over several things that could have helped with the use of his Eldar; so he won't give me such as easy game in the future... Unfortunately he is going away for 12 weeks, so our next game will be Novenber-ish.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 8, 2008, 05:54:48 AM by SupREME-10 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Re: 1800 Necrons VS Eldar, Campaign Game #5 (w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
   Good match and writeup moc, as always. ;) As you stated he really should have kept the WL to hold one of the Bunker or stay in cover behind as a counter attack unit.
   Poor Reapers didn't have a chance, on of his better unit to take out your 'Crons. Maybe he could have protected them by hiding them behind the Wraithlord?
   He really should have protected the Farseer more, the Doomseer especially would have been invaluable to help the Banshees, but then you seem to have made a good job at stripping them of concealing options, kudos on that.

I noticed that the immobilised Serpent contested one of the Bunker, did you use some of the 5th ed rules in the game?

[Bragging Mode]Oh, and BTW, you may have scored a Victory vs the Seekers here but I scored a Victorious Slaughter vs the Despoilers (CSM). It evens the things a bit. :P[/Bragging Mode]

I'll do the writeup tomorrow I think, no pics though. :-\

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
No pics = not happen... in the Bat Rep section.!!!!!!!!!  (in my dreasms... I know).

Gratz SupREME-10...see.... camera's help...!!

Thought I wasn't really wowed at the Eldar list.... other than the variety of units.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the Feed-back..  Its appreciated.

We played that the Serpent could not Score (hence the NS for Victory points reasons) but that all vehicles could contest the Bunkers (I had to give him some leaniency as I chose the mission, etc) and I did fail to remove it completely..... It was a simple adjustment we made to the game as he was really limited to the figures he owned and had onhand (although I did offer to lend him some of mine - out in the car).... As mentioned, he was a pretty new to Eldar , with only a half dozen or sa games under his belt (normally uses Space Marines - BA) so I had enough advantage to give him a couple of "freebies" or rule modifications.

In later duscussion I noted how I used mass firepower to remove his priority units first (DR, PF's, etc...).. to systematically cripple and kill his army. He even noted that he thought his first Farseer was safe until I actually killed the whole Scorpion squad and made the Farseer "targetable" (he underestimated the firepower of Necrons)... We also discussed things that he should have done... Assault the Banshees right up the middle to take out the Lord (possible on turn 2), thus denying a lot more WBB rolls... and saturation of target units to remove them completely to  deny WBB, etc.... I am pretty sure that he will be a much better general in his future games, and although I don't mind educating people as we play, I was not about to hand him a victory either.

PS.. If his WL had of stayed where it was to start with, yes it could have shot for the entire game and possibly held the bunker; but I think I would have simply devoted a round or two or Mass Destroyer firepower to it; and probalby taken it out, (Mathhammer - 14 Destroyers put out 42 shots, with 30 hitting... thats probably enough to get teh job done, even vs a Wraithlord) and shooting his Falcon/Serpent was pretty useless to me anyway, f--- ing HF, VE's Stones etc made them too good vs Gause only... I could never Pen one as he was smart enough to deny me Rear Armour.

Cheers

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2008, 10:46:48 AM »
   Hadn't thought to comment at the moment, but we can see that you didn't bother in the least to try circumventing the Sentries and got straight for a 'free' first turn in that battle.

I guess it was for the best since a great part of the Necrons firepower was concentrated in the Destroyers. It also seems you didn't shot at the Bunker at all (only at the models inside), a nice move since you didn't need to bother trying to assault the occupants.

That's what I like with the 'Crons: They deliver a crapload of firepower and can take it back, a thing nobody can do as well.

And it also gave you that nice CP Bonus for NOT breaching the Bunkers...

Starky

Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2008, 06:37:58 AM »
I was trying to keep the Bonus CP a little secret; but you obviously figured it out.... Oh well, not like the whole Campaign communitee is going to read this thread....

PS... Not the first Bonus CP I bagged either.... Or the first Puny Eldar.... Mew Ha Ha..

Seriously, I know that Necrons can drop Bunkers pretty easy; but why would I bother: His Wraitlord, Pathfinders and Dark Reapers were the biggest threat and after I lured one out, and bagged the rest... my biggest issue was weather he would try ot drop a Bunker himself (thus I stayed out of them until close to the end).  And he did try for it with his WL on his turn 6; but failed. His Falcon was also a concern; but after he took it over to a flank (instead of running it through me - Tank Shock)   he gave me time as I was worried he would assault my Lord ASAP with those Banshees, and then start dropping Warriors to go for the PO... (PO=12 BTW, as I had 51 Necrons on the table). When I think back, if he had bagged my Lord on Turn 2, and then started concentrating all of his efforts on Warriors, he probably could have defeated me... as he could have had Guided/Fortuned Dire Avengers to remove an entire squad in one volley, and then Assault a second squad with the Banshee's/Scorpions on Turn 3/4.. I would have been backpeddling in rapid order, and I am not sure that even my Destroyer Firepower would have been enough to off-set. (Oh, and these were the types of tactics I actually did go over with Kyles after the game.... He said that he never relized that Close Combat mght have been the best thing vs Necrons)

Cheers

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
Im surprised the reapers died so easily, with 3plus saves they usually last a long time for me.

(Playing in 4th edition, it used to be really easy to hide them also)

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2008, 05:42:29 PM »
   Hi Srintuar, long time no see!

For your comment, although I wasn't there I still can say that they are only five T3 models. If I put enough shots in a SMurf squad I can expect to have some dropping.

Heck, some time ago I Bladestormed a CSM squad: 32 shots later only one died. I lost that game.
   In another occasion, I lost a whopping 7 Wraithguard to bolter and HB fire in the first turn of shooting. [shrug]

Starky

Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:35:06 AM »
Actural Battle notes had me putting 15, shots into those Dark Reapers, 12 of which hit... and then caused 11 potential wounds (wimpy Eldar are pretty soft compared to Gauss Cannons)... he should have only failed 3 saves; but the dice favoured me and 4 DR went down (He did pass his LD test though)... It really was a case of good dice for my "To Hit" rolls and bad dice for his "Saves"...

Also bear in mind that his Wraithlord took 12 shots to the head right after that... 9 of which hit, and I gave it 3 potential wounds (more good dice on my part).... he then went on to make all his saves (awesome Dice on his part)..... And then a lot of the game went down with very very good rolls, or very very bad rolls on both sides of the table.

Thanks for the comments guys. Cheers

Offline xylusofthewebway

• Death by shuriken!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 02:09:43 PM »
awsome report, but it would have been great with some more and clearer pics

Offline muffinman331

• Ork Boy
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
Man, poor eldar... I think it would have ended much differently if he had gone on the offensive and used those seers + close combat goodness to take down a whole lot of necrons. but, for an eldar force sitting in a bunker and being shot by a bucketload of Gauss weaponry, he didn't do too badly as a beginner to the eldar path....
"Shoot da killy wuns, kill da shooty wuns." – Orkimedes, Ork tactician.

http://webway40k.blogspot.com/ - Harlequin Blog