News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Craftworlds - Post your Craftworld background.  (Read 46216 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Designing my own Craftworld... WIP
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »
Sounds like a pretty cool idea. Not sure about merging an Eldar fleet together to make a craftworld though. You could just have your Craftworld be one of the several near to the Eye of Terror, and have them foster close ties with Ulthwe.

I had a cool idea while I was reading your description of the fluff concerning guiding the souls of the dead. I thought it would be cool if your Craftworld sent armies to the Crone Worlds to free the spirits of dead Eldar from the grips of Chaos.

Granted many of those may choose to worship Chaos, but it could be evangelical type thing or maybe your Craftworld has a psychic, or even sorcerous technique for purging the taint of chaos from Eldar souls.

Just an idea...
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Avintril

• One shot, one kill.
Re: Designing my own Craftworld... WIP
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 04:51:24 AM »
That is in interesting idea... and would like to explore that further.  :)  I had the idea of venturing to the Crone Worlds to occasionally acquire new Waystones. "Rescuing" Eldar souls from the taint of Chaos would be a really cool duty for my Craftworld as well! Would this be done like an "exorcism" of sorts? Or perhaps, another idea would be to provide an "underground railroad" for those Dark kin that wish to return to the Path? LOL! That would be funny.... my Farseers could have a small percentage to "win over/convert" Dark Eldar on the table-top lol.  ;)  Just a thought.....

As for the "singing ships into a craftworld". Nothing is really mentioned about that really... one way or the other... but without starting a fiery debate on craftworlds; their size, shape, etc.... it has been noted that:

"Prior to the Fall, Craftworlds were vast trading ships, effectively, whole self-contained communities housing hundreds of Eldar families." http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Craftworld

It goes on to mention that during the Current Age, "Craftworlds have grown greatly in size since the Fall, when they became the sanctuary worlds of the Eldar race. They are now approximately 10 to 100 times bigger in volume than they were before the Fall." As to how they grew... it just says they did... no "cannon" fluff tells us how. So, since my branch of Eldar broke from their parent world pre-Fall... the "singing" of ships together to form something bigger would fit within a theory of how they grew.  ;)

Also, I was thinking my Craftworld would not risk its Guardians on such deadly and potentially catastrophic missions they frequently went on. Basically it would be an "elite" Eldar force. While the "known" Craftworlds have various flavor in paint and play style... players still can access pretty much any of the Aspect Warriors they see fit. Now if you want to play a "fluffy" world... as I do... these allowances and restrictions have to be different from anything that currently exists. Since most people are not in the habit of making up entirely new Shrines, rules, powers and such... one must work with what is currently available in our army choices.

So, as part of this "rediscovered" world... the Aspect Shrines are in full force. The missions are small, and with purpose. But "realistically" table-top games do not constitute vast battles that would be needing to take over a planet... or destroy the Imperium, etc. So, an "elite" force (with restrictions of course) would be appropriate to my Craftworld. Say, my "army" must always have a Farseer leading it. Dire Avengers would form the "core" of the army... much as other Worlds. But, say it would have a restriction of "no more than one unit of Aspect Warriors (excluding Dire Avengers) would be allowed." This represents that the Shrines are still very active, but limit their risk in losses to any one shrine. Also, say I didn't allow the use of Wraithguard in my army construction as that would seem to go counter to my trying to "free" these souls. But, on the other hand I might think Wraithlords were ok. Perhaps the "Chaos tainted" souls had to go through a period of "purification" housed in the Wraithlord construct in order to be allowed back in to the Craftworld core?

Anyway... those are some more thoughts. Opinions are welcome as I go through the "battery" of questions posed in the aforementioned Design Your Own Craftworld! thread.  :)
Know thine enemy, and know thyself.

Offline Cidias

• 2-3, Still learning
Re: Eldar Craftworlds - Post your Craftworld background.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
Kionash Enaid'dyann  (Craftworld of the Gemstone Guardians)
Craftworld Enaid'dyann began its existence as a mining colony searching for planets that could serve as growing grounds for the psychically resonant crystals used as Spirit Stones and for beam weaponry.  They discovered a maiden world that fit their criteria perfectly, a world of dense jungle swamps and towering cliffs. The Eldar named this world "The Verdant Jewel" and got to work immediately searching out those deposits of naturally occurring  crystals, and the best locations for growing others. But like many gems, this one carried a hidden flaw. Nearly a third of the planets landmass was covered by tracts of barren earth, where nothing would grow. Deep scans showed no signs of anything untoward in these places, so the Enaid'dyannin, more concerned with making profit and keeping their clients happy disregarded these anomalous areas and focused on the task at hand.
   Upon the birth of Slaanesh, the psychic shockwave tore through the Verdant Gem and awoke the terrors sleeping beneath the dead zones. Necrons long dormant and shielded from view rose from their hidden tombs deep within the planet and began to cleanse their world of the invaders. Many Eldar were lost in the short time it took to evacuate back to the craftworld, and the survivors were horrified at the thought of losing their hard work, equipment and the homes they had come to love on their new world. The arrival of the Aspects and the Paths soon brought hope to the Enaid'dyannin, and they began to fight for their new home.
   For ten thousand years the Eldar of Enaid'dyann have struck from their refuge in the skies above the Jewel, keeping the Necron forces from escaping to wreak havoc among the stars. The ghastly caricatures of life strike without pause for two hundred years, than fall silent for a century of quiet before re emerging.
   Autarch Cidias of Enaid'dyann is a relative rarity among his rank, as he has not only walked and mastered the Paths of the Warrior, but has also trod the Witch Path and carries his Witchblade into battle as well has having enhanced his natural psychic energies to allow some of his skill and experience to spread to his allies.

Offline XavianBlacksoul

• Oh well, worse things happen at sea.
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
My Craftworld is Xambala. Stolen from the floating city where gods hang out.

Craftworld Xembala is a comparatively small craftworld. They had left their world long before before the fall, disgusted with the excesses of their fellowman. The do not talk of their home world nor are there records about it. They are a rather stern and uncompromising nation who strive at all costs to protect the Exodite and Maiden worlds. It was on Xambala that the cult of silence was born and is still practiced. Many Eldar swearing vows believing their actions are stronger than words and that speaking easy brings about disaster. Due to their forthright views and Stoic attitudes they are viewed in a cold light by other Craftworlds, although their actions are highly regarded. The Eldar of Xambala have a reputation of being highly disciplined and aggressive force, which strike fast and hard before disappearing just as suddenly. 

For Countless centuries they have patrolled the furthermost eastern rim of the galaxy. They have strong links with the Exodite communities found there and often send young Eldar to these planets as a right of passage before adulthood. The Craftworld drifts somewhere between the Tau empire and the realm of Ultamar. This has led to many conflicts between the various forces that inhabit these sectors. Often these upstart races try to populate planets of Eldar origin and find to there cost the price in doing so.

Recently the various Tyranids tendrils have caused great strain on the Eldar of Xembala, But they will not budge from their sacred tasks. Chaos warbands appearing as if from random has not helped either, regardless the battle any and all who appear within their sector of space.   

Xembala is currently presided over by two twin brothers. Xar'en'Galad and Ada'en'Galad. En'galad being the title of lord of light. Xar'en is a highly respected Autarch of uncompromising nature while Ada is the craftworlds most powerful and foresighted Farseer. Between them the Craftworlds population is kept safe.

The Craftworlds colours are Green and gold, and their emblem is of a dragon.
90 percent of sci-fi is crud, but then 90 percent of everything is crud.
Thoedore Sturgeon.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 07:14:03 PM »
Craftworld Belah’rea (Path of the rising Star)

While few truly foresaw the extent of the Eldar fall, it was obvious to many that the empire was decaying from within. Indeed the exodus was a wakeup call for many of those still sane Eldar and it was one such group who started an ambitious project to save their people. While other group were constructing ever larger Craftworlds, Belah’rea worked on coupling and retro fitting existing vessels.

Based on the little information that survived from that time, the various vessels travelled the rim of the home worlds, attempting to find rational Eldar to join them, with the intention of using the webway to join the command vessel shortly after.  Like so many others, these ships faded into the forgotten pages of history.

A stranded ranger ship recently rediscovered a few vessels between the eastern fringe and the Dominion of storms by a stranded Ranger ship. Much to their horror all on board had died in the process of trying to escape the fall, however instead of their souls being eaten by she who thirsts, the souls were collected by the soul stones entwined in the wraith bone.

As the rangers discovered, Craftworld Belah’rea seems to have a built in purpose, this has been narrowed down to the recovery of living Eldar, soul stones and artefacts/salvage (such as armour, Avatar Shell, wrecked tanks, etc). The seers are given visions as to why they are in a giving area.

Each craft in the flotilla is thought to be controlled by those in the infinity circuits. This is a theory because there are a number of locations which are both physically and psychically inaccessible. This includes Navigation, webway portal control, defence systems.
Over the progressing years many new Eldar (mostly stranded Aspects) have joined, including exarch who build new shrines, expanding the field of study. Most notably an Avatar was recovered from a fallen Craftworld.

New arrivals also feel a presence, as if they are being constantly watched, over time this sensation fades, but this coupled with the automatous nature of the ship has led to whispers of the ship being “alive”

Each craft is entirely enclosed by a thick black wraith bone like substance. While making them effectively stealth vessels, it is also impossible to grown the ship any larger. Expansion is only possible by finding any remaining craft scattered though out the galaxy. So far two more have been recovered.

Colours: Various shades of blue (Ultramarine on their mechs) and Shinning Gold.

Socal:
Craftworld Belah’rea embraces the warrior-priest ideals. This is very similar to the path system on Alaitoc. It is common for those who have just left their Aspect path, to become priest or healers and vice versa.

The Craftworld is generally a peaceful place, but since recovered Eldar can be from a wide variety of Craftworlds with no way of returning, tensions can be high especially among new arrivals.

Other races: Being constantly on the move there are no standing alliances, however they have been known to trade with friendly races.

Governing system:  Technocracy

Offline Bda_Gamer

• Newest
    • Bda Gamer's Blog (?)
  • Armies: Eldar, Black Consuls CSM
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »
This "background" was written before I had read the Path series of books. After reading the books I was amused how my interpretation was very similar to the philosophy of the Eldar presented in the books.

I was the Eldar craftworld generator questions to generate my ideas. I hope you like and feedback is always appreciated.

Craftworld Mul-Girtab - “Their heads touch the sky, their terror is awesome and their glance is death”

Colours: Skull White, Lich purple; Aspect warriors follow tradition colouring patterns. Force includes an heavy presence of Striking Scorpions and Warp Spiders,

History:

During the Fall Craftworld Mul-Girtab was fleeing most of its citizens gripped in the initial madness and blood letting. They were hurled tumbling into the warp and pushed into a remote corner of the galaxy. Their sister fought brother, father fought wife and Mul-Girtab paid a heavy price. Far removed from their kin, Mul-Girtab began to colonize suitable worlds, a created various closely linked offshoot exodite communities.

As the communities grew, the wreckage and ruins of the craftworld were reclaimed. Due to the extended absense the Wraithbone forests had claimed vast areas of the craftworld. It was here the first Pathwalker was when a spirit scorpion stung a salvager. Putting him into a coma state, after 2 months he emerged reforming the society as Pathwalker Ci-caedr'aer . Setting them along their new found chosen Path, a path of deception, mixed honour and refined justice.

Each House world was defined by a specific task and sits as an equal on the Guiding Council. The council is overseen by She Who Guides, and it members elected by each worlds citizens. Mul-Girtab as a craftworld is known for its honor and secrecy, and has never reneged on an agreement with others, or dealt with them unfairly.

Mul-Girtab tactics revolve around deceptive ploys clearing enemies from the field swiftly and distracting reinforcements. Aspect Warriors are used to strike at the enemy’s weak points providing crippling blows, whilst other elements draw fire. IF the enemy is too strong preemptive strikes will be deployed to hamper the enemy whilst a Ci-can'a is mustered. All elements willing to die, as the future has no shadow to them.

Pathewalker Arahman currently leads Mul-Girtab as the continue along their Path. Mul-Girtab is currently reeling from loosing a world to Khronanus the Black-Hearted, Chaos Undivided Champion.

Known Named Characters:
Farseer Arahman
Farseer Onetsa
Autarch Yal-adrin - Harmonious Battle
Autarch Yal-adrin
Autarch San-shesh – Female (Swooping Hawk Wings)
Autarch Adzimehmed (Warp Spider Generator)
Exarch Tanorath (Striking Scorpions) Biting Blade
Exarch Danelon (Striking Scorpions) Scorpion Claw
Exarch Ta'ali (Howling Banshees)
Exarch Fisnes (Dire Avengers) Dual Shurican Catapults
Exarch Throezara (Dire Avenger) Power Weapon & Shimmer shield
Warlock Altin (Embolden) previous path Dire Avenger
Warlock Mitore (Embolden, Witchblade) previous path Striking Scorpion
Exarch Re-ther (Warp Spider) Dual Spinner & Powerblades
Exarch Ty'lion (Warp Spider) Spinnerette
Exarch Rennes (Dark Reaper) Tempest Launcher

What sort of government runs this society?

This society is run by a council following the path of Harmony and Hostility. The council is chaired by a Farseer, selected as the “She” Who Guides or Pathwalker, the other members of the council are selected from the satellite worlds and craftworld. Each Farsser and Autarch selects a replacement after serving for a period no less than 100 years. At the end of this time, during which his successor has been recognized, and trained thoroughly, in how best to manage the craftworld, he ascends to an inner circle of as a potential next offering to the Avatar

What sort of people are they in terms of relations to others?
Mul-Girtab as a craftworld is known for its honor and secrecy, and has never reneged on an agreement with others, or dealt with them unfairly.  Generally, it has stable relations with others as a result, though its enemies know no respite, and alliances are mostly made as a joint military venture, these ventures are often to only sort if it benefits Mul-Girtab. The craftworld's Houses sometimes engage in some trade with others.

Who do they interact with?
Mul-Girtab generally covertly interacts with the Imperium, the Tau, certain Space Marines (Black Consuls & Desert Tigers) and other Eldar.  Tyranids, Orks, the forces of Chaos are all to be shunned.  The Adeptus Sororitas and Grey Knights are generally not to be trusted as allies, though will engage a common enemy unbeknown in such a manner that the aid of the Eldar is never discovered. They have “adopted” some surviving member of the Black Consuls and have allowed them use of one of their worlds.

What sort of beliefs guide their culture?
The culture is guided by a deep sense of honour, refined justice and respect. The society is governed by strict adherence to the Paths of the Eldar and the social norm is always to seek out the best way to improve. Disputes are settled by a tribunal of peers, whose decision is final. More serious matters are sometimes settled in the “Arena” battles are never to the death.

How large is this society?
Mul-Girtab is a single craftworld, with four satellite worlds, with a population of about 100 million indigenous species.

Each world is designated to a function such as war craft, argicultutral, culture with additional functions in aiding the support systems of Mul-Girtab. A fifth world was recently lost in a Chaos execuriosn, the citizens sacrificed to the Dark Gods.

How much wealth is available to this society?
The society as a whole is fiercely independent and strives to provide everything needed for its maintenance without dependence on outside sources.  Its equipment and shrines are lovingly maintained, but the society as a whole is not exceptionally wealthy, valuing merit above material possession.  This means that trade between themselves and other Eldar is executed as necessity dictates.

What sort of environment does this society exist in?
The society is contained between the craftworld and satellite planets. Mul-Girtab is designed as a spacious forest wonderland, with each world having its own webway contained in the Heart Wood. Each world contains a smaller Heart Wood, linking to the other world and craftworld through a single webway with many paths. Besides its primary function, each world is designed, to be semi-sef sufficient as they serve as training grounds and in addition to additional functions. Much of the external commerce between Mul-Girtab is performed using the Houses as intermediaries.  As a result, the Houses are designed as both military and metropolitan areas of varying major portions, with a large area given over to shrines specific to the particular House in question.

How do smaller units of this society relate to the whole?
Mul-Girtab behaves as a fractured nation, each satellite world is treated as an equal.  The balance of power is held because most of the trade and defense of Mul-Girtab occurs through the actions of the sister worlds.  These are ruled by the members of the Inner Council who are subject to the will of the Path, who is always chosen from the council of Mul-Girtab.  The Council members form their own the Houses of Path whose members choose their successors from civilians of Mul-Girtab, though usually these will be civilians who have had extensive dealings on a particular world.

Army Philosophy -
Mul-Girtab place a premium on infantry with other elements serving supportive roles. They utilize preemptive strikes, whilst harassing the remaining elements of their enemy. The enemy is given varies feigns and lures never know which to be a true retreat. A favourite tactic is to retreat, then swiftly turn crippling the enemy in one blow. The tactics involved will be typical to the closing of a scorpions claw, focus on the claw and you will not notice the tail. Each part as deadly as the next.

Offline Kogtoof

• Mek Boy
  • WotW-Ork Elite: Mekboy with Big shoota
  • Armies: Da Orkz
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »
My army is an offshoot of Alaitoc. After Alaitoc was attacked by the Mon'Keigh (Black Library Path series) There was a large reconstruction effort amongst the citizens of the craftworld to rebuild their shattered homes. As the rebuilding occurred across the craftworld, debates started as to why the Farseers did not see the attack coming beforehand and move to avoid the battle.

One Farseer in particular Ae'uith claimed that the Farseers had grown complacent and weak. It is said that Ae'uith lost his brothers in the fighting though whether or not this is true is unconfirmed. He argued that revenge must be taken on the Mon'Keigh for the near destruction of their home. Farseer Ae'uith left the craftworld, taking with him several shrines who's exarchs agreed with Ae'uith's views, most notably the Shrine of the Silver Dart (dire avengers), and the shrine of the Hunting Shadow (striking scorpions). These shrines under Ae'uith's leadership travel the webway hunting for the space marine chapter that attacked Alaitoc. Ae'uith is branded a radical by most of the craftworlds, however some of his battles has seen him aided by Bel'Tan, the Harlequins, and even the Dark kin on several occasions.

Lately though Ae'uith's methods in hunting down the remainder of this chapter has been even more frantic, as though there is something more to his goal than simple revenge. His actions have been becoming more risky and often he has put his warriors in needless danger for a chance to exact his revenge. It is said by those close to him that he has become obsessed with his goals to the point where many claim he has become "lost". Though it is unknown if Ae'uith has indeed been consumed by his need for vengeance one thing is certain, the need to destroy this chapter has a greater importance than simple revenge.

Offline Bigtakezo

• The Eye in the Triangle
  • Armies: Eldar, Black Templar
Craftworld Shaa'raim
« Reply #27 on: July 5, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
This is a bit long; I hope that's not a problem. Obviously there's no obligation to read, but I've spent probably a bit too much time thinking about it, so I figured I would post. 

Craftworld Shaa'raim, the Few and Secret

"Asar un Nefer, myself made perfect; this is the secret way. None who know may speak, none who speak may know."
-Faelkir the Basilisk

History of Shaa'raim
   Centuries after the fall, a number of citizens of the Biel-Tan craftworld convened regarding the fate of their race and the motivations of their people. This coalition of individuals shared concerns about the xenophobic mindset and destructive bent of their society, and after long years of deliberation, they formed a splinter world of their own and departed with great sorrow from the living ship that had fostered and protected them through the tumultuous time of the fall. This small craftworld they called Shaa'raim, and it soon became known as a sort of space-faring monastery; a society of holy warriors who seek enlightenment and redemption through art, mysticism, and the path of the warrior.   

The Eldar of Shaa'raim are mysterious and secretive, even by Eldar standards, and though militant in nature, they have turned from the xenocidal vendetta of Biel-Tan in favor of a path that they feel more appropriate to their dying race. They believe that in order for the Eldar to survive in this time of strife, then for the time being, they must learn to cooperate and coexist with the myriad species with whom they share the stars, so long as they do not pose a direct threat to Eldar interests. To this end, they willingly make alliances with races that their mother world would deem inferior in order to combat the more insidious threats that ply the void, such as the forces of the Dark Gods and the newly awakening kingdoms of the Necrons. Believing themselves to be enlightened and beyond the petty rivalries of other craftworlds, the Eldar of Shaa'raim choose to harbor close ties with their dark kin. An Eldar is an Eldar after all, and cooperation with their fallen brothers should not be turned aside in this time of crisis for all of Asuryan's children.

Mystics and spiritual seekers all, the Eldar of Shaa'raim spend what time and energy they can in the pursuit of esoteric knowledge, which they believe is the only thing that can truly save their people from the great enemy and impending doom. A great number of Shaa'raim's citizens elect to follow the path of the warrior, hoping to attain enlightenment through the fervent crucible of battle. Many others walk the path of the seer, hoping to glean what knowledge they can of the fate of their race and the universe at large. The remainder of the Craftworld's citizens pursue the path of the artist, scholar, or artisan, and the gift of verse and song is strong amongst the people of Shaa'raim. They are obsessed with the Harlequins and their refusal to bear spirit stones, and so they make it their principle objective to free themselves of the bondage of the infinity circuit and the dominion of She Who Thirsts. The pursuit of this secret knowledge is of paramount importance to the people of Shaa'raim, and it is to this end that its seers and warrior-monks seek to attain.   

Philosophy of War
   There are a number of militant religious orders on the Craftworld. Similar to the holy warriors of our own history, such as the Knights Templar, Hospitaliers, and Yamabushi, many of the Eldar of Shaa'raim believe that that they will find enlightenment through the arts of war and the bloody service of their gods. There is one brotherhood in particular, known as the Order of the Snake, which is preeminent amongst the society of Shaa'raim and always leads its forces into battle. Mounted knights of unparalleled skill, these fearless warriors ride at the forefront of any strike force, thundering headlong into their enemies, all the while beseeching the favor of their holy triad of Khaine, Cegorach, and Ynnead respectively. On the table, this order of holy warriors is represented by a unit of Shining Spears led by an autarch, who is known as the Basilisk; the King of Serpents and high master of the order.

Having been born of Biel-Tan, the Eldar of Shaa'raim adhere to the Bahzahkain method of warfare, favoring mobile, aspect-heavy forces that strike with swift precision and extreme prejudice. However, being far less numerous than their mother world, the Eldar of Shaa'raim are forced to choose their battles. They simply cannot afford to strike against their foes with impunity; rather, they prefer surgical raids and cooperation with other races in order to achieve their goals and defend their holdings. This, combined with their introspective temperament and clandestine tendencies, has served to keep the Craftworld alive and safe in times of dire conflict. Those battles that can not be won with a lightning strike are undertaken by furtive operatives of the craftworld, and so the Autarchs of Shaa’raim keep a readied reserve of killteams, composed of Striking Scorpions, scout Warwalkers, and Rangers on hand, should the need for silent warfare arise.

Livery
   The Eldar of Shaa'raim borrow the heraldry of their mother world, utilizing the sacred heart of rebirth as their world rune, and further personalize it with the inclusion of the all-seeing eye of Isha. Through this symbol, they communicate their belief that rebirth and restoration may only be achieved through the pursuit of esoteric knowledge. Their colors also mirror that of Biel-Tan, being primarily green, white, and red, though they place greater emphasis on the use of the color black. To the Shaa'raimites, each color has its own significance. White is the color of a pure heart and an unsullied purpose. Red accents and spirit stones represent magnanimity and bravery in the heat of battle, as well as the purification that results from conflict. The rich greens of the Craftworld symbolize strength of spirit and the mystery of the void, and their widely-used black communicates death, but also the change and rebirth that follows death, as well as the solemnity of will and purpose with which these Eldar undertake the paths they have chosen.

Governance
   The Craftworld is governed by a council of nine farseers who strive to make the decisions that they feel would best serve their people at large. The holy orders of Shaa'raim also have their own indirect say in the governance of the Craftworld. The grand master of each order receives the title of Prince of Shaa'raim- a title which is largely honorific, as there are no true royal houses that remain pure of blood on the Craftworld. The collective Princes of Shaa'raim comprise a council of their own, known as the Secret House or the Court of the Ascended Masters, which bestows spiritual guidance and instruction upon the citizens of the Craftworld, and often bends the ear of the seer council in times of conflict.

This bureaucratic process can sometimes be cumbersome, as a hard majority is required in order to sway the council in one way or another, and opinions can often vary between the adherents of different paths. Should the council ever find itself in a deadlock on an important decision, it is not uncommon for the seers to turn to the infinity circuit, seeking the guidance of the original founders of their splinter Craftworld, known as the Secret Chiefs. In this way, the current governors of Shaa'raim are careful never to fall out of touch with the ideals that set their people apart.

Culture
   The Eldar of Shaa’raim are a curious lot. Their hugely magnified focus on esoteric pursuits has caused them to develop in somewhat of a different way than their less spiritually-minded counterparts. They hold a number of opinions that cause discomfort in their more traditional brethren, such as their open embrace of the dark kin. Shaa’raim’s ties with Comorragh are strong, as they do not look down on their fallen brothers for the lifestyles they have chosen. The seers of Shaa’raim will often direct the raids of the dark kin against their own foes, and in return, they offer safe haven and respite upon their craftworld. Emissaries and warlocks of Shaa’raim may sometimes be found wandering the halls of the dark city, treating with archons over campaign strategy and trade, or else delving for lost esoteric secrets amongst the shadowy alcoves of the ancient webway port.

An essential belief held by the Eldar of Shaa’raim is the understanding that every Eldar life is precious. They know all too well that their race is dwindling and dangerously close to extinction. While their Biel-Tan brothers wished to reforge the ancient Eldar empire through a deluge of blood and at the cost of many lives, the people of Shaa’raim believe that the most solemn responsibility of all craftworld Eldar is procreation. On Shaa’raim, the cycle of love and birth among Eldar is celebrated and strongly encouraged by both the Seer Council and the Secret House alike. Citizens of Shaa’raim are typically not bound by marriage, and any unwanted children, though they are rare indeed, are gladly taken in with open arms by any of the various holy orders of the craftworld. Eldar children are scarce enough on any craftworld, and on Shaa’raim, they are venerated and protected with staunch resolution. The craftworld’s defenders will brook absolutely no invasion upon the ship’s surface, for fear that even one Eldar child be lost. Should the craftworld come under direct threat, the seers will swiftly guide the small vessel into the webway; a process that is made easier by Shaa’raim’s diminutive size. In the dire circumstance that escape is not possible, the Secret House is quick to muster every male and female Eldar on the craftworld to its defense, as each citizen would sooner sacrifice their own life than see the blood of a child spilt.

The path of the warrior is highly esteemed amongst the people of Shaa’raim, and so it is that the craftworld’s population boasts a disproportionate number of dedicated warriors. Because of this, the craftworld’s autarchs long ago decided to forgo the fielding of guardian defender units, preferring to allow their warriors to meet the enemy on the field of battle and keep their civilians far from danger. Instead, the Windriders and Warwalkers that take to the field amongst Shaa’raim’s military are comprised of aspirants; those citizens of the craftworld who desire to join one of it’s sacred military orders and prove themselves in battle.

Those citizens who need not take to the field are left with a much greater amount of time to practice their own crafts, and as such, the artisans and scholars of Shaa’raim are of an unimpeachable calibre, for those that do not follow the path of the warrior must pour all of their energies into seeking enlightenment through other arts. The craftworld strongly values the art of verse and song; often its warriors will ride into battle while chanting sacred hymns and liturgies to give them courage and strength. Song is used to invoke the favor of their deities, and verse is employed to immortalize the feats of the craftworld’s heroes. The citizens of Shaa’raim especially relish the visits of the Harlequins, and the Eldar come en masse when their enigmatic cousins stage a performance.

Similarly, the Eldar of Shaa’raim adore ornamentation, and their vehicles and war gear are often bedecked with ornate patterns and decoration. In the case of armor and vehicles, this ornamentation is two-fold: it carries esoteric symbolism that gives Shaa’raim’s warriors strength and battle, but the curious repeat patterns and symbols, when in movement, also serve to confuse and confound the eyes of their foes.         

Recent Conflicts
   Previously, the Eldar of Shaa'raim were engaged in a bitter and long-standing campaign against the Tau. The conflict centered around a small fringe system; a string of life-sustaining planets upon which the rapidly expanding Tau wished to settle. The Shaa'raim Eldar vehemently opposed the colonization of these worlds, for a number of reasons. The planet system was of paramount importance to Shaa'raim, as the craftworld's seers sensed that hidden within the lush foliage of the planets was some artifact or piece of knowledge that would be instrumental in furthering the spiritual advancement of the craftworld. Beyond that, one of the planets was, unbeknownst to the Tau, a lost maiden world with a number of inactive webway portals which the Shaa'raim Eldar intended to reopen. Years of brutal conflict with Tau expeditionary forces resulted in heavy losses on both sides, leaving the small craftworld utterly spent. The bloody campaign was ultimately settled by a shaky ceasefire agreement, but only after the unexpected emergence of buried Necron forces. Shaa'raim's seers were correct in their assertions about the significance of the fringe system, but the nature of their assumptions was far from the truth. This event further sealed within the seers' minds the necessity of cooperation over conflict with the universe's younger races, and, swallowing their prodigious pride, the seer council of Shaa'raim entered into an alliance of necessity with the Tau in order to quell the Necron reactivation. After the long and drawn-out conflict, the Shaar'raimites withdrew into deeper space, electing to pursue other more pressing goals and leave the Tau to their enthusiastic expansion. They did, however, leave one webway gate open, should necessity ever demand Shaa’raim’s return. Since that time, the craftworld’s diplomatic relations with the Tau have steadied and healed, though a certain degree of hard feelings still remains between the two races.

The craftworld’s current heading is leading them in the direction of Imperial airspace, and though the Seer Council of Shaa’raim is always ready to cooperate with non-violent subspecies, it is unlikely that the Imperium of Man will receive them with a warm greeting. Only time will tell. In this case, the seer council has decided to maintain stealth and anonymity while in Imperial airspace; at least until complete secrecy is no longer possible.

Along their path, the craftworld’s outriders are always vigilant for any signs of Necron reactivation. The eldest citizens of Shaa’raim remember the days of the war in heaven and the terrible wrath of the Necrontyr, and they understand that if a new Eldar empire is to be forged, or even if the remaining remnants are to survive, then the Necron threat must be culled before it reaches critical mass.

Known Characters

Autarch Faelkir the Basilisk, Prince of Shaa’raim,
Ascended Master of the Order of the Snake
    In his youth, Faelkir was hot-blooded, impetuous, and arrogant- possessed of qualities that often caused others to overlook his keen intellect and unwavering bravery. The glory of combat appealed to him, and he displayed a natural affinity for it, but the harsh discipline of the warrior’s path made him reticent to adhere. Instead, for a time, he tread the path of the outcast. He wandered the stars, riding with a corsair fleet, raiding and plying the void. He even spent a number of years in Commoragh, living amongst the dark kin and treading a dangerous path that could nearly have been his downfall. When political upheaval amongst the kabals forced him to flee the city, he found his way to a lush, pristine maiden world, where he settled with the Exodites, learning their ways and customs. Over time, he won their trust. He conversed with their shamans and even rode with their dragon knights- a rare honor for outsiders. This time amongst the Exodites affected him, but there was one event that changed the course of his life. He received a solemn gift from a tribal leader: an ancient blade, forged before the fall and treasured by the secretive tribe. A Shard of Anaris. He named the black blade Anglachel, which roughy translates to “Iron of the Flaming Star,” and he has wielded the ancient weapon in every battle since.
   With a previously unknown sense of purpose blossoming within him, Faelkir returned to Shaa’raim and undertook the path of the warrior in earnest. Time and experience tempered more youthful elements of his character, but his blood still burned as hot as ever. He learned from each shrine in turn, excelling in whatever skill he acquired. The formidable force of his will could not be stopped. He was initiated into the Order of the Snake. In time, he rose steadily and implacably through the grades until he received the title of Ascended Master, and at the same time, was bestowed the rank of Autarch by the seer council.
   Faelkir now leads the warhost of Shaa’raim into battle, riding at the front of the spearhead on an ornate jetbike alongside his brothers from the order. It was Faelkir’s signature lighting strikes, as well as his eminence in the order and time amongst the dragon knights that earned him the title of Basilisk- the king of serpents.

Spiritseer Edrahil, the Shadowhand
   Edrahil is one of the elder seers of Shaa’raim. He holds an honored place on the seer council, and has a strong, influential voice regarding the affairs of the craftworld; but it was not always so. The Shadowhand was once a farseer, known and respected amongst his peers and revered by his followers. It was he who was given command of the warhost during the series of confrontations with the Tau along the eastern fringe. He struck with fierce confidence and prescient wisdom against his adversaries, but against this new and powerful foe, his campaign met with disaster. After a series of resounding defeats at the Tau gun lines, Edrahil began to question himself and his abilities. With the emergence of the Necrons, he forfeited command of the warhost and retired into seclusion and introspection. Greatly burdened by his failures and haunted by the spirits of the warriors lost under his command, Edrahil seemed on the brink of self-destruction. However, it was within this inner darkness that he found his true calling. In a moment of despair, he dove deep into the infinity circuit to beg forgiveness of his fallen comrades. While he lingered amongst the dead, hopeless and broken, he was met by the life essence Secret Chiefs. They compelled him to continue on, insisting that his journey was yet unfinished, and whispering to him esoteric secrets long lost to the craftworld’s elder seers. When Edrahil finally emerged from the infinity circuit, he solemnly took up the mantle of spiritseer, and now shepherds the dead into the craftworld’s wraith constructs and leads them on the field of battle, where they might redeem themselves and once again deliver the wrath of Khaine against their enemies. Revitalized by his new calling, Edrahil diligently studies the occult knowledge of his path and craftworld, and has become known on Shaa’raim as the undisputed master on matters of the spirit.     

Other Characters

Autarch Saeros Thunderheart

Farseer Sing’rah, the Laughing Owl

Wraithlord Aang’ma, the God of Death, Keeper of the Veil

stay brutal.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #28 on: July 6, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
Never apologise for something being too long (insert that's what she said joke) as I'd rather read more detail than a condensed version. Not a bad background at all. You've avoided many of the usual traps of overpowering your Craftworld. One thing I'd suggest would be to mention how this Craftworld relates to the others perhaps in the manner of trade and expertise to counteract their lower resource base. Yes, Eldar are a post scarcity race by definition but there may be a need to replace war material at a faster rate than domestic production, as an example.

Good stuff.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline DOGGED

• Bow to the power of the dice!
  • Armies: Eldar!
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 06:53:20 AM »
OK so after a very long hiatus I recovered, revised and expanded the background relating to the Craftworld my Eldar forces hail from. As Lorizael suggested in the opening post, I followed the guidelines exposed in the excellent article by Guttstikk to flesh out the Craftworld (http://www.40konline.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=950, and will post the resulting report both on Craftworld society and its translation as a fighting force in the game. In the meanwhile, let me share with you the introduction to Craftworld Angaur, and do not forget to throw opinions on it:

Not long before the Fall, Angaur was being made, in its beginning, as just the prototype of a new massive weapon, one that was not only able to bring about destruction in an almost unheard of scale, but also it was capable of transporting itself to everywhere it should be. Its main goal was that of conducting neverending search and destroy missions against the strongholds of the dormant Yngir, the Eldar name for Necrons, to avoid their eventual rising. The Eldar developed what they considered as the last step in the growth of Distortion weaponry. The result was to be a truly colossal cannon, more than a hundred miles long. This cannon, powered by enormous batteries their size that of a hive city, had been developed to make orbital bombardments which were capable of vanishing whole armies off, wherever they may hide. Around this cannon a dedicated spaceship was designed, one which could house not jus the gun and its supporting batteries, not just the crew to man such a weapon and the whole ship and its own armaments, but also a vast army and its corresponding vehicles and installations.

This new kind of ship was baptised as the Angaur class, for the Eldar word for "destiny", as it was thought by the Eldar as the true bringer of the ultimate fate which their enemies could expect. Each of these ships would be the center of a huge fleet which would give cover to the Angaur ships and ensure that they would get into a position from which to bombard the planetary surfaces, wiping out any trace of the enemies of the Eldar. Also, it was a weapon capable of fully destroying a whole planet, if need be, by repeatedly bombarding it. Finally, the possibility of using it when fighting  other fleets in space could ensure no one would bring capital ships to confront them.

The resulting ships would house several wings of attack fighters, bombers and assault craft, and would have external docks to afford for a whole fleet to be docked. Support was carried for several such fleets in addition to its own craft, military personnel and machinery. The crew and troops transported could amount to several millions of people. Huge engines would propel the beasts along their journeys, even giving them warp travel capability (to trip out of the galaxy if need be). They had a good many warp portals for their own maintenance and to give them an assault craft performance; the sheer number of troops carried allowed to launch planetary assaults. Their defensive systems were more than enough to repel any spaceborne menace, as their shielding capacity and sheer mass gave them an uncompared survivability, with vital areas buried deep inside the structure, under kilometers of intermediate levels. If need arose, an own stern portal, the size of which rivals the ones to be seen in actual Craftworlds, could give access to spaceships of capital size.

As it was considered a matter of the highest importance, accesses to the system where the Angaur prototype was being constructed, along its neighboring areas, had been long ago interdicted, as had been leaving from within. This interdicted area was called by its leaders as the Sercamvaul, the web of Vaul, for the Eldar smith god (the Eldar war machines are called engines of Vaul). Nevertheless, news still got getting into, and the depravity which had been pervading the whole Eldar civilisation from ages ago had already got a hold there. Some even dare to say it was a factor in the birth of the design for the Angaur. Those in charge of the project were however worried with its development, and considered the increasing degeneration and licentiousness to be not just a nuance but a real danger in their own. They could not allow the project to go astray, so a campaign was conducted to get rid of such organisations, and reeducation programs were carried out to ensure the Angaur development would suffer no delay. A side effect was that the individuals in charge saw the need to keep watch on outside events and processes, and when they colected enough information, they became very concerned. Their beloved civilization was spiralling into decadence with increasing speed; it was not any longer a matter of particular deviations, but degeneracy had become a general trend.

When successive exploratory missions returned not only confirming these impressions but even strengthening them, those in charge felt their fears deepening. They at last resolved to hold a meeting to decide on the future of the project they were responsible for. That meeting stretched on for days and days until an agreement was made. The Eldar civilization was disintegrating, their rulers no more reliable, not to start with their subordinates, who were becoming more of a perverted courtisan lot than the respectable thoughtful leaders they were supposed to be. Already gigantic ships known as Craftworlds were being made out of the merchant and exploratory juggernaut like ships that Eldar had been using to reach up to the edges of the galaxy, for those groups which had decided to leave such a degenerating society and start anew far away where the degeneracy had not set its hands on. So the Sercamvaul leaders organised themselves into a Seer Council, to guide their fellows into a journey to find a new home and start anew. For the journey, the Angaur prototype was chosen as both their home and means of transportation.

That fateful decision was to change their lives forever after, as they had chosen to depart. Such a weapon as the one they were completing was not one to let fall in the wrong hands, or those of degenerates who would not mind to use it arbitrarily, or even on their own breed. That was not an option. To remain was to risk such a chance. To remain was, too, to risk their fellows' depravation catch with them and slowly but surely infect their ranks. Their flight was not to be  a hasty one; a large task was awaiting them, as they had to rethink the Angaur design to make the ship able to house the people and their environment, and the large natural areas they were willing to save and take with them to the stars. Eldar civilisation was to be preserved, along with a patch, if more could not be saved, of their homes. Also, they somehow had to find something with which to strengthen their minds, to make them more able to resist the call of the vices which were already bringing down their whole civilisation.

The answer to this last issue was to develope a philosophic trend of their own, one which enforced a sense of balance, discipline and self control and which gave its practitioners some measure of strength to resist the degeneration which, as it was suspected, would eventually get through the interdiction and reach into the Sercamvaul. This philosophy was called Istaubelah, the quiet path, and became something of an auxiliary path for the Angaurii, guiding them through their lives and ultimately defining them facing other Eldar.

The Istaubelah worked and bought the necessary time to reform the Angaur  project into  crafworlds on their own, even if somehow small ones. Slowly but steadily the Sercamvaul was being penetrated and the pleasure cults were spreading into the interdicted zone. The leaders of the Sercamvaul were certain that it would in the end consume them too. It came a time, finally, when the Angaur Craftworld was wholly completed, and with no loss of time the people were evacuated to the immense ship. Their factories had been working from long ago, and enough machinery had come out to flesh out the Angaurii army and navy. Conflict almost erupted when the reality of departure sank on the Sercamvaul, because a good many of its denizens now contemplated the Angaur as the first of a series of vessels which could give them the upper hand over their neighbours; the so long anticipated treachery and rivalry between Eldars had set into the Sercamvaul. The Angaurii, this last sign of depravity showing itself, did not lose time in discussions, nor even prepared for conflict. They simply left. While the abandoned Sercamvaul inhabitants put up a fleet to pursue the escaping Angaur, it just could but scratch the gargantuan ship, while the return fire was of such a magnitude that any trace of pursuit was quicky abandoned.

The Angaur made good their escape by putting its rebuilt and augmented engines to test. They worked every bit as fine as they had been planned to do, and so the newborn Craftworld ran a stretch of space so big as to be almost out of reach when the cataclysm which marked the end of the Fall occurred. Its psychic concussion wave still reached the Craftworld and was felt as a tide of sickness and horror which affected almost everyone on board. Nobody had perished in the main ships, but when the remnant of a rearguard patrolling fleet reached the Craftworld, the consequences of the catastrophic event appeared all the crude they were. Most of the ships had been lost, with all hands on board, their corpses being recovered by the surviving vessels, which themselves were badly undercrewed. Hundreds of corpses were aligned in the hangars, to the Craftworld inhabitants horror, staring blankly, with terrified faces, at which the Seers, who had been able to see beyond the mere psychic pain into it which had just been born into the Warp. told their fellows was the worst mayhem ever dreamed of.  The following times, nightmares haunted each and every Angaur inhabitant, until the tireless effort by the Seers brought calm to their fellows. Since then to this day, the Angaur has ploughed its way through space, ever in search of ancient enemies, ever vigilant and ever cautious.
Knowledge Is Power.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 05:08:44 PM »
Fleet of the Rending Six (all puns intended)

Background.
The fleet is not a Craftworld, but rather a tight alliance of like-minded Eldar who have joined together for a common purpose. That purpose is war.
Originally formed a century ago by 6 Eldar heroes of battle hailing from different factions and craftworlds, The fleet consists of a rag-tag band of warp-capable ships carrying anywhere from 100 to 1,000 Eldar. The aim of the fleet is to serve the Eldar race by providing a highly mobile, battle-hardened force that is able to fight using whichever of the tactics and units employed by the disparate Craftworlds that is most suited to the task at hand. The Fleet of the Rending Six fight on behalf of the Craftworlds, but are not beholden to any of them.
All Eldar within the Fleet are volunteers, and serve for as long as they choose. Whilst they do serve however, they do so under restrictions that would ordinarily be unthinkable to the Eldar. These restrictions include mandatory conscription into the Fleet’s Guardian reserve forces (the fleet does not have the resources to support members that do not contribute to their ultimate purpose), and no children allowed (for the same reason). There are two restrictions that hold even once they have left the Fleet to return to their Craftworlds: One: The Law of Silence -The Fleet is never to be discussed with those that have never served. Two: The Law of the Eternal Warrior: Whilst you are in the Fleet, you fight in every conflict. Once you have left the Fleet, you can never return.

The Fleet are considered highly controversial amongst the Craftworld Eldar. Many see them as merely Corsairs with pretensions to a higher moral code which in reality is just there to excuse their blood-lust. Others see them as an even more dangerous element encouraging the merging of the Warrior and Outcast Paths, and risking their immortal souls in the process. This view is particularly strongly held amongst the Exodite worlds and the Outcasts that serve them; hence it is rare to see rangers fighting with the Fleet.  Their very name is derived from a disparaging term coined by one of their chief opponents within the Eldar, and refers to 6 founding members rending Eldar away from their home Craftworlds and leaving them depleted to pursue this dangerous folly.

With no Craftworld to support them and considered pariahs by many, they are constantly struggling to obtain sufficient ships, weaponry, volunteers and resources to keep their mission alive. Nonetheless the is a small but steady stream of Eldar youths willing to join the ranks of the Fleet of the Rending 6, and past members have formed an unofficial network of sympathisers that do what they can to keep the Fleet supplied with material and information.

Founding members.
1)   Kaela Mensha, Avatar.
An Avatar, but no-one knows from which Craftworld. He responds to the name Kaela Mensha (“The Bloody Handed-One”), but insists that to reveal his Craftworld would be to bring shame on it. He was awakened over a century ago and has not slept since. He does not intend to sleep again until he feels that the Fleet of the Rending Six has fulfilled its purpose. It has been theorised that he requires the near-constant battles engaged in by the Fleet in order to stay awake and should he fall into slumber again, he could not be re-awoken from anywhere but his own Craftworld. His presence infects all within the Fleet with a desire for combat, and he is a driving force behind their constant search for any battle that can be fought in service of the Eldar race.
2)   Querel Swiftthought, Autarch of Biel-Tan
Querel is the mastermind behind the original concept for the Fleet of the Rending Six. A concept formed after many years of frustration with the (in his view) unnecessary delays brought about by the need to discuss and agree strategy with the War Council, for the Farseers to study the strands of fate and the search for volunteers before a new campaign can be launched.
Querel was instrumental (along with Lilith) in gathering the first members of the Fleet together, in particular his strong ties with a number of Aspect Exarchs enabled him to quickly gather a fearsome cohort of likeminded warriors from his home Craftworld, many of whom have stayed with the Fleet since its inception.
Impulsive and aggressive, Querel is a brilliant general. Unlike most Autarchs however, his tactical and strategic skills manifest as flashes of insight rather than the result of careful deliberation. Regarded as reckless by many, none can deny his abilities.
3)   Lilith Dark-Bringer, Shadow-Seer of the Dark Carnival Harlequin troupe
The very day after Querel had decided to try and create the Fleet of the Rending Six, Lilith appeared at his doorway, with Kaela Mensha, and offered to help. As mysterious as any Harlequin, to this day she has never revealed how she knew of his intentions, or indeed how she met Kaela Mensha. It was she that insisted that the Law of Silence be adopted by all members of the Fleet. She never explained why.
4)   Antir Doomrunner, Farseer of Saim-Hann
Antir was second son of the clan-chief. When his father was slain in a duel with a rival clan, he temporarily assumed command until his older brother returned from a campaign in the far reaches of the Segmentum Pacificus. It was two days after this occurred when Lilith came to him and convinced him to join the Fleet. The ideals of the Fleet match closely with Antir’s own personal views, and as such he agreed to join up. He refused however to take his clan with him, insisting that it was his brother’s right to decide the Clan’s future and not his. On his return, his brother assumed command and refused Lilith’s invitation. Antir accepted this, but argued persuasively that those of the Clan who wished to join up should be allowed to do so. His brother, fearful of the damage it would do to the clan to loose so many of their warriors refused. Antir rebelled and left for the fleet anyway, taking many followers with him.
Antir is a brave and charismatic Farseer, often to be found leading the charge deep into the enemy ranks, using his considerable telepathic talents to cause chaos and confusion amongst the enemy ranks. He is however constantly wracked by guilt over the betrayal of his brother and his clan. This guilt has become the driving force for his efforts within the Fleet, as he forever looks for some form of redemption in battle. He often carries the fabled “Mantle of the Laughing God” in combat. A gift from Lilith, this perhaps indicates that she too feels some guilt over the emotional torment Antir suffers. Perhaps.
5)   Ryella Moondust, Spirit Seer of Iyanden
Ryella was approached directly to join the Fleet by Querel, and did not take much persuasion. Her enthusiasm for the project was due to her belief that a strike force like the Fleet could do a lot to take the martial pressure off her near-extinct Craftworld. Amongst her care were a number of restless spirits only too happy to join the crusade.
Since bone-singers rarely join the Fleet, Wraith Constructs are very hard to come by, and Ryella guards the ones she has jealously. During battle, she will invariably accompany her Wraithguard allies, using her not inconsiderate psychic talents to protect them. Since the death of her lover Jain (see below), her time out of battle is mostly spent communing with the spirit of her lost love.   
6)   Jain Longstride, Farseer of Ulthwe (deceased)
Jain was a reluctant founder of the Fleet.  A powerful divinator who trained under Eldrad Ulthran himself, Jain grew tired of seeing the grim future of his dying race laid before him. He left the Path of the Seer behind him and spent many years wandering the galaxy as a Ranger. During one of his rare return visits to Ulthwe he was approached by his old mentor, Eldrad. Eldrad told him his fate was inextricably linked to that of the Fleet, which would not survive more than 3 years without his presence. Despite serious misgivings about the philosophy and motivations of the Fleet, and a deep reluctance to return to the Path of the Seer, Jain gathered some acolyte Warlocks and joined Querel’s motley crew.
Eldrad, of course, proved to be correct. Jain’s powers of divination saved the Fledgling Fleet from numerous disasters in the early years, most notably when he foresaw the presence of the Ultramarines 3rd Company just in time to abort what would have been a suicidal raid on Tarsis Ultra. His powers failed him several years later, when he was slain by a stray shot from a fleeing Ratling during an assault on Ornsworld.
 Before his death, Jain and Ryella became more than lovers, their psychic abilities enabling a level of mutual communion and understanding inconceivable to mere mortals.
After the Ornsworld campaign, Ryella transferred Jain’s spirit into a Wraithlord construct. It seems the close bond they had enabled Ryella to transfer more of Jain’s personality than is normal, and the towering wraithbone figure can often be seen in battle sniping from cover at targets that threaten Ryella.

Colour Scheme <yes, this is largely here to excuse my laziness at painting)
The official fleet colour scheme is green and black –a deliberate variant on the scheme adopted by Querel’s home Craftworld of Biel-Tan. However it is common for volunteers to refuse to adopt these colours and instead use a plain black scheme to represent the fact that they do not intend to stay with the Fleet forever. Some take this notion even further and retain the colour scheme of their home Craftworld while fighting for the Fleet.

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Infernion

• Lan Haras - Bright Blood
  • Armies: Eldar Craftworlds
« Reply #31 on: June 2, 2016, 04:24:43 PM »
My Eldar were warrior craftworld for one of the smaller planets the Eldar inhabited before the fall. When the fall occurred they decided the way to honor their fallen comrades would be to hit the enemy where it hurt the most, the eye f terror. They threw themselves into combat against the chaos without really knowing what they were up against. They fought for many years until their resources were nearly out, and their army was depleted to the point where much of it was wraith constructs. It was at this point they realized that coming out was a whole lot harder than coming in. It was only due to the help of a harlequin troupe and their superior knowledge of the webway that they were able to escape. They currently struggle for survival with their numbers severely depleted, about 1/4 of their original force remains.
Lan Haras - Bright Blood

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 04:08:28 AM »
                                           The Dann clan are kin to the feared dead, chieftains of chieftains, Nuadu. He went missing in campaign against the Space Wolves chapter, towards the end of the "Fawth edishun" era. Saim-Hann is now lead by the warrior, Gher. His kin are now the prominent clan. Gher has declared Nuadu dead, as no Seer has seen him in their conjuring. Tabi-Thar, a Farseer who bonded with Nuadu before her calling to the Witch Path, claimed a sighting. It's because of their bond that her prophecy was ignored. Believing her want more powerful than her sight.

The Dann clan's faith in Tabi-Thar is as strong as Nuadu's was. When she told of their future siblings riding alongside their chieftain upon his return to the craftworld, they chanted with a long lost confidence. With the clan's belief and strength of mind behind her, Tabi-Thar's clarity intensified. She understood the only way for this thread of possibility to become reality was for a host of Dann to take to the stars in search of Nuadu. Tabi-thar and the clan chieftain, Saim-Olthing, approached the head clan with the findings. Gher was off craftworld in negotiations with the Ulthwe. The Gher-kin listened to the plea from the pair. There became much discussion and debate when the Gher-kin finally yielded. The offer of an Aurora light cruiser came with a condition. DO NOT RETURN WITHOUT NUADU!

Once Vaul's Armouries were stowed and the Host of Dann  made their final farewells to their loved ones, they boarded the craft they named "Bundii". Eldar for, home away from home. Tabi-Thar recalled Nuadu's words from their past. Words that bolstered her before one of their many battles. She placed this memory within the minds of the host, to turn their nerves to passion. "The apes must fear us beyond any measure. To hide behind armour so thick as to hinder their movement so. Without the dance, there is no art to war. Just thuggery in a paddock.

Through the years, the Host of Dann fought as many battles as there is stars. Some clashes were for knowledge. Others were to manipulate futures outcome to the clan's favour. They rescued a lot of Eldar from captivity and loss of combat. Warriors from other craftworlds past on knowledge, then made their own way home. Rescued Saim-Hann and some Aspects joined the Odyssey of the clan. With this the Host swelled over the decades. A small Host of Saim-Hann were found just out from the warp. They were from a time, the apes called, the "Rogue Trader" era. They became caught within the warp and reappeared in the present. The Host of Dann hasn't found Nuadu yet... but their having a hoot trying!!             

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
My Craftworld's background was always somewhat loose, though it had a name, colour scheme (stone grey with red helmets, black weaponry and gold or brass detailing), and a location (as there was a time I envisaged running campaigns and so developed a general setting). Here's a somewhat off-the-cuff version updating it with some of the latest background developments in 40k.

Craftworld Daal-En is entering its final days. Never before has the Craftworld's name - translating roughly as 'The Light of Lost Souls' - seemed so apt.

The Craftworld has strayed close enough to the human Forge World Ultima and the Chapter Planet of the Jade Hawks Space Marines to be familiar to the Imperium, whose occasional efforts to take punitive action against the Daal-En have ended in failure. It has been most notable to the Imperium for repeatedly coming into conflict with Imperial and alien forces alike in the unending warzone on the Imperial world Conquest.

The Daal-En have long conspired to keep secret from all factions that Conquest was an Exodite world that died before the Imperium ever found it. While recolonisation is not in their interest and complete eradication of the human infestation would have drawn unwelcome Imperial attention to a comparative backwater, the Daal-En have repeatedly taken action to conceal the existence of - and as necessary to maintain - the World Spirit that remains.

The Craftworlders have always succeeded in manipulating events to favour their ultimate survival, although not always without cost: barely a century past conflict with the Aemobenn eradicated the Spirit Hounds, Aspect Warriors restricted to the Craftworld who specialised in harnessing and projecting their innate psychic ability to cause fear among the Craftworld's enemies. Although the Aspect shrine survives, it lies empty and with no remaining Exarchs to take on the role of training new disciples.

The Craftworld's Farseers have, however, been unable to chart a path for the Daal-En in which they can survive the opening of the rift known as the Cicatrix Maledictum by more than a few scant centuries at best. This phenomenon is not of intrinsic interest to the Eldar in the way it is to humans - the webway, at least so far, is little affected. While the Eldar strain against Chaos in all its forms and most particularly in the form of the Great Enemy, their vigilance against the menace from the warp takes place as much in the infinity circuits, the World Spirits and their own waystones as in war in the material realm. Nevertheless, Daal-En was close to one of the points where the rift opened. The Farseers are presently unclear on how the opening of the Great Rift will lead to the Craftworld's destruction, or even whether it is merely a coincidence in timing, and the opening of the Rift simply closed any remaining paths that would have allowed the Daal-En to survive an unknown future threat, but it could be as simple as an attack from the warp itself or from its Chaos Space Marine puppets.

The Daal-En, like most Craftworld Eldar, make incidental common cause with aliens when it serves a broader purpose, and oppose them on the same terms. Their relationships with humans are more often aggressively adversarial than not, and in the recent campaign on Konor the Daal-En have been recorded fighting both the Chaos Space Marines of Slaanesh and the forces of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imperial chroniclers may put this down to xenos perfidy or whim; the Daal-En themselves make little real distinction. They see little in the conflict between the Imperium and the forces of the warp than a civil war between servants of Chaos for what is their Emperor - a soul-devouring monster with only a vestigial presence in the material realm - but a nascent warp entity, feeding on faith and essence to fuel his emergence as a fifth god of Chaos? In that light, while it serves their broader purpose to take action on Konor for as-yet undisclosed reasons, they recognise no distinction between order and chaos in the conflict.

Military

The Daal-En military is principally based around infantry and rapid-strike operations: grav-tanks and atmospheric fighters are favoured and the walking constructs of the Spirit Hosts invoked both rarely and reluctantly. The Craftworld has a significant Warp Spider shrine. One belief prevalent enough among the Daal-En to have found expression in the idiom of the general populace - though  not restricted to the Craftworld - is that many of those lost while using warp jumps are marked by a Chaotic entity known as the Black Widow said to hunt in the webway, thought by some to be the lost, unknown Phoenix Lord of the Warp Spider Aspect (a possible source for the name, as the Warp Spider Phoenix Lord is widely thought among those Eldar not privy to knowledge of their identity to have been female), and by others a vengeful Exarch lost in and long corrupted by exposure to the warp. "Defying the Black Widow" is a Daal-En phrase that can be summarised as fighting against an inevitable fate.

The fate the Farseers now see in store for Daal-En is the more tragic because the Craftworld bears a trait shared by few others, and with none of the larger Craftworlds save Saim-Hann. The Eldar are truly said to be a dying race, and even at their most fecund they reproduce slowly. The Craftworlds are vast, most with surviving populations in the low billions, yet the sheer amount of space now unused is a testament to their gradual slide towards extinction. Yet while the Eldar as a race are in decline, here and there individual societies buck the galactic trend for any of a variety of reasons. Most Eldar population increases are confined to the Exodite worlds, and a small number of planetary colonies established over the centuries by Craftworld Eldar; the Daal-En are among very few Craftworld societies with an increasing birth rate. Although this fact has never made the Daal-En cavalier in battle - and they prefer to risk the small number of individuals required to crew their highly mobile war machines than deploy significant field armies - they do support a large Guardian corps.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:56:18 PM by Rhyleth »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 06:05:27 AM »
WOW Rhyleth!
That was a hoot to read. Like the name of your craftworld. You've made the background so rich with character, mate. Being close to the Imperials, the Black Widow in the warp, the reason there is no WarpSpider Pheonix Lord and of course the reason your army is vehicle heavy. As a Saim-Hann player, Rhyleth, am proud to have my pointy ears shoulder to shoulder with your lads and lasses... Be well!

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
WOW Rhyleth!
That was a hoot to read. Like the name of your craftworld. You've made the background so rich with character, mate. Being close to the Imperials, the Black Widow in the warp, the reason there is no WarpSpider Pheonix Lord and of course the reason your army is vehicle heavy. As a Saim-Hann player, Rhyleth, am proud to have my pointy ears shoulder to shoulder with your lads and lasses... Be well!

Thanks! I came up with thinks like the Black Widow years ago when thinking about Eldar fluff more broadly - I just managed to find a way to link them to the Daal-En backstory specifically.

Post Merge: July 30, 2017, 08:31:43 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

WOW Rhyleth!

Thanks! I came up with thinks like the Black Widow years ago when thinking about Eldar fluff more broadly - I just managed to find a way to link them to the Daal-En backstory specifically. In my original background the Black Widow was definitively the WS Phoenix Lord - this version gives wriggle room in case GW decides to make one!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:31:43 AM by Rhyleth »

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »
Jhaden Craftworld was much like Altansar. It originally survived the close proximity to the Eye of Terror but in years much less than that aforementioned craftworld Jhaden Craftworld found itself consumed by the warp.

Shortly after the fall the small craftworld was still being outfitted on a distant provincial elder moon of Jobadan. The moon had a sizable population seeded with some of the earliest form of exodite settlers. The distant settlement and world Governor had instituted very strict measures to avoid most of the decadence.

Jobadan was in possession of a WebWay generator device when the horror happened.
In the few years after the Fall, Asurmen and his wife Ishara set up a Shrine to the Aspect warriors, as was done on countless other craftworlds.  However Ishara remained upon Jhaden as a Phoenix lord of the Dire Avengers. There she trained another who began the Silent Wraiths Aspect warriors. The only shrine of its kind.

As Jhaden was preparing to depart with as many of the inhabitants of Jobadan a massive warp flare shot out toward the Eldar. Pouring thru the warp hole was an immense horde of slaaneshi denizens.  Time was over, hope was lost, escape was impossible.  Then Ishara devised a risky plan with the seers and warriors and set the WebWay Generator on critical oversurge and pointed it straight into the warp flare. With incredible energies twisting the warp and shielding the craftworld, Jhaden, its fleets and as many of Jobadan as could, rushed into the warp tunnel bridging reality to the unknown. The edges of Jhaden burned off as it squeezed into the energies of the warp tunnel. Finally Jobadan itself was pulled into the maelstrom clogging the warptunnel, scattering the forces of slaanesh and eventually exploding into a cataclysmic event, known to them as the Convergence. The weird energies of the Warp twisted with the elder tech and destroyed all in nearby real space and beyond.

Now 10,000 years later Jhaden craftworld has emerged from the darkness of space. With them have come a host of exodite colonists who seek out maiden worlds of old. The eldar who have had contact with Jhaden leave with suspicions. There is something odd about they and the settlers. It is more than the mix of dark elder and elder technology, it is more than their strange responses and hidden or missing answers to their questions. It is even more than the ancient style of their weapons, vehicles and clothing, more than their mannerisms and their pride...It is their grief that shines so hotly that is noticed most by the eldar that encounter them.

With that they are regarded in the  most untrusting manner by the other craftworlds. What is their Secret? Are they tainted by chaos? Can they be trusted? When in truth it is far more simple and horrible....for the eldar of Jhaden and Jobadan are not decendants of the Fall like the other craftworld brethren. Much like that many Chaos Marines are the same actual forces from the Horus Heresy that have plagued the galaxy throughout time....These Eldar are indeed the living and surviving Eldar from 10,000 years ago! They have been thrust forward in time from the Convergence~!
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill

Offline 40Kfandex

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar Craftworlds - Post your Craftworld background: Craftworld Ainaarin
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »
Craftworld Ainaarin exists as a warning to the few Aeldari that know of its existence, its slow descent from prosperity a reminder that even the Aeldari must be cautious in their application of technology, and judicious in their use of foresight.

Even among the Aeldari, the denizens of Craftworld Ainaarin were and are obsessed with prophecy.  The interpretation of prophecy, the Craftworld’s zealous adherence to the will of its Farseers, and the Craftworld’s uniquely powerful engines enabled the Craftworld to escape from many dangers, in particular the birth screams of Slaanesh that decimated the majority of the Aeldari race.  In the aftermath of The Fall, Ainaarin prospered through continuing to follow the timely divinations of its Farseers.  The Craftworld’s reputation (fed by its proud people) to anticipate and evade dangers of all kinds became its downfall.  Its reputation made it the target of the Drukhari - Aeldari possessed of an utterly evil nature.  The Drukhari made hunting the Craftworld and its people into a sport, and as the Craftworld’s legendary escapes fed its notoriety, so too did more and more Drukhari fleets seek to be the one to claim the Craftworld as a mark of their superiority.  Through countless Drukhari raids and sabotage, the Craftworld’s Infinity Circuit became damaged and despite repairs could no longer provide enough power to  simultaneously move the Craftworld at speed and maintain life-support systems for the Aeldari who lived on it.  Torn between keeping their people from freezing to death and evading the Drukhari, the Farseers directed their scientists to develop a technology that could create a pocket dimension for the Craftworld to exist in that was totally inaccessible from the Webway where the Drukhari made their lairs.  Despite circumstances proceeding at an extreme rush, the Craftworld’s engineers created the Gossamer Shoal - a pocket dimension that utilized technologies different from those of the Webway on the most fundamental levels.  As the Craftworld was folded into the Gossamer Shoal dimension, and its millions of occupants collectively holding their breath, the Aeldari were bitterly aware of how dire their circumstances were that they were forced to use an untried technology on such a massive scale.
   Initially, Ainaarin’s gamble paid off, and the Craftworld was safe from its enemies for a time, but the cost would soon become clear.  It was eventually discovered that the Craftworld could not leave the Gossamer Shoal dimension at both a time and place of its choosing.  If the denizens chose a particular location in Realspace to emerge, the process of emerging would have a totally unpredictable duration anywhere between nearly instantaneous to a million years.  Alternatively, the exact time of the Craftworld’s emergence could be controlled, but the location could be anywhere in the galaxy including the heart of a dying star, the middle of an Ork invasion, or any number of potentially disastrous locations.  Therefore, each time the Craftworld enters the Gossamer Shoal dimension, its next return to Realspace must be planned.  Entering and exiting the Gossamer Shoal requires a tremendous amount of energy, which places demands on the Craftworld’s Infinity Circuit.  Worse still, the more energy that is siphoned off the Infinity Circuit to initiate or terminate a visit to the Gossamer Shoal dimension, the less energy is available to maintain the delicate meteorological balance required for the Craftworld’s biomes to grow food, and there is not enough to go around even if no visits to or from the Gossamer Shoal are made.  When Ainaarin emerges near an inhabited planet, its military forces enact raids for the power sources and foodstuffs that it requires.  The Ainaarin are aware that these raids echo those viciously performed by the Drukhari, a resemblance that is the source of great, unspoken shame for the Aeldari of Ainaarin.
   Although initially it was the grim hope that the deaths of their warriors would fuel the Infinity Circuit and allow it to regain its power-generating capabilities, as more and more Aspect warriors and Guardians sold their lives to protect the Craftworld’s future, it became apparent that the Infinity Circuit could no longer exceed the power output that it maintained.  Determined to restore their Craftworld, the Farseers skeined the multitude of futures both near and distant for possible solutions.  As it had come to them many times before, a prophecy eventually arrived to the Farseers.  They foresaw with alarming clarity that unless every last member of their Craftworld - as well as every future member of the Craftworld - dedicated themselves to either the Path of the Warrior or the Path of the Seer, the Craftworld and all its people would be destroyed by an unrestrained civil war.  Shocked and appalled by this revelation, a small minority of Aeldari did the unthinkable by questioning the wisdom of the Farseers.  To an Aeldari - single-minded obsession is the only way they can exist.  To restrain their baser instincts for self-indulgence and to stave off the ennui, Craftworld Aeldari rigorously dedicate themselves to a Path, essentially a vocation that consumes them entirely until the Aeldari chooses a new path.  To extricate themselves from their existing Paths and swear off any future paths beyond that of either Warrior or Seer was anathema to the Aeldari of Ainaarin, and although only a few dared to voice their opposition to the Farseers, many were gripped by fearful uncertainty.  The leaders of the dissidents attempted a coup by recruiting a number of Aspect warriors to their cause and convincing them that assassinating the Farseers would unmake the prophecy and free the Aeldari from their fate.  The Farseers, predicting the coup, came to their most trusted military allies for protection.  Among these allies was Ekainsin Thotuil.  The tale of Craftworld Ainaarin was never decided by a single being, but the most impactful being in its history was without a doubt Ekaisin Thotuil, an Autarch whose profound sacrifice has forever altered the fate of his people.
To earn his place as an Autarch, Thotuil had mastered many of the Aspect Warrior disciplines, but had never become so focussed on any one of them that he became an Exarch, trapped eternally on a particular discipline.  During his service as a Warp Spider, however, Thotuil very nearly fell to the fate of an Exarch, so obsessed was he in understanding the underpinning philosophy of the Warp Spider Shrine, yet never feeling like his quest for this knowledge was satisfied.  When Thotuil was informed of the prophecy, and of the dissident’s plan to attempt a coup, his spirit broke, he understood the sacrifice that he must make, and he understood the Aspect of the Warp Spider as never before.  Resolving to slaughter every single dissident to avert civil war, Thotuil began with the deadliest of the dissidents - a Warp Spiders Exarch.  The graceful combatants clashed in staccato bursts of ringing metal, both pausing to reassess their strategies.  An unaugmented human would have been totally unable to track the movements of the duelists’ blades;  only the onlookers who knew the warriors best understood that when the two beings severed their ties to one another, the emotional wound would haunt the survivor forever.  Amidst the shattered wraithbone of the Warp Spider shrine, Thotuil executed his student, and in so doing killed a part of himself.  Ritually removing the late Exarch’s armor, Thotuil left the Path of the Autarch, and for the second and last time embraced the Path of the Warp Spider.  Assuming command of those Warp Spiders loyal to him, Thotuil and his shrine began the nightmare task of murdering the dissidents in ones, twos, and threes across the Craftworld, using their warp jump generators to attack without warning.  As he slaughtered his kin, the trauma of murdering his student burned itself into his soul, and he withdrew further and further into his war mask in a desperate attempt to distance himself from the trauma.  When the dissidents were finally eradicated, Ekaisin Thotuil was no more, replaced by his war mask and little else beyond a finely-honed killing machine.
Shockingly, to this day Craftworld Ainaarin reveres the Warp Spider Aspect Shrine above the other Shrines, for it is they who acted decisively and sacrificed a portion of their sanity in order to protect the Craftworld as a whole.  Craftworld Ainaarin continues to uphold the prophecy with unquestioning devotion.  Every Aeldari is prepared at a young age for either the path of the Warrior or the Seer, and they boast many Aspect Warriors and Warlocks.  In order for non-martial duties to be fulfilled, the Craftworld sparingly constructs Wraith constructs to ensure the Craftworld’s needs are met as best they can.  When the call to war is sounded Craftworld Ainaarin always answers, and their frequent wars largely revolve gathering resources for their damaged Craftworld. When prosecuting these wars Ainaarin is able to directly unfold their troops from the Gossamer Shoal dimension onto their target in Realspace, as the energy expenditure for an individual warrior is inconsequential due to its size.  It is relatively common for entire infantry-based armies to be deployed this way.

I am still looking for ideas for a symbol, but this is a basic idead of the color scheme. I don't know how to put an image on a hosting website but their scheme is basically the pre-heresy Warhounds (World Eaters) color scheme. I plan on doing the bases sandpapered smooth and black with a bright hex pattern so that they are terrain-agnostic, with the idea being that they are directly teleporting out of the Gossamer Shoal.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:44:00 AM by 40Kfandex »

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2022, 11:37:54 AM »
Okay, that is one of, if not the most badass craft world story I have every read. This is brilliant. Well written sagely, and calmely constructed some fine work you have there mate.

This just taugh me how underwhelming mine is. I was wholefully unprepared. I made made based on the model I had, I should have though through this properly. Thanks for the lesson in story writing  ;D

If you want to had images, you need to had them to a hosting site and then link them in, using the image tags  ;) I use imgur personally and if you use it from pc, in the image info, (not the post info), there is a bbcode sharing option, you can just copy and paste that into your post because it has the tag included automatically.

I've been away for a while but I don't recognise that username, so welcome then :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 11:39:00 AM by Grizzlykin »
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2022, 03:14:15 AM »
It was, in all truth, inspiring. I need to come up with my own custom craftworld to make note of some of the ideas that I've had about Eldar over the years.

Thank you!