Are you using Chaos Terminators?

Started by Wuestenfux, July 11, 2003, 07:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wuestenfux

Terminators are versatile but costly, especially when
they come with a transport.
1. Are you using Terminators?
1a. If so, what equipment (power weapon or fist ...)?
2. For what Legion are Terminators essential?
3. Against what armies do you use Terminators?

(I'm a DE player starting an EC army.
Against DE, Terminators are not that useful as they
get usually killed by Incubi.)

Master Chief

I like termies (teleporting) but until I get chaos termies along the lines of the new grey knights I am holding off on buying models ...
Defenders of Terra - Imperial Fists

UberBezerker

Once they get the new Terminator modes, I will be the first to buy them. I think Terminators, especially Chaos ones, are great, because of their customizing ability and converting chances. Some might say that for being so expensive pointwise thy are not any good. However, in my IW they can shoot at them all they want, cause that means less shots at my tanks.  ;D
Have A Nice Day! :) hehehe

Silverthorn

I don't find terminators to be a good investment in general.

They are either too expensive in games below 2000 pts or useless against some enemies (like orks with choppas, eldars with starcannons or banshees, etc...).

Even the 3rd ed chaos terminator models are very cool. Grey knights termies are really nice but the older ones still have style. It's just the cost vs resilience that bugs me. Personaly I would give them either a slightly lower cost or some kinda 3+ or 4+ invulnerable save for the whole unit that would work like the shadowfield against shooting only (one of the models would carry some kind of force field). A 5+ inv is kind of ridiculous for a 1 wound model that is supposed to be a walking tank of sort.

I am not complaining. I mean you decide if you use them or not but they definately need to be worked on.
There's no Right or Wrong
There's only Fun and Boring

--My EldarOnline articles:
Starting an Eldar army: http://www.eldaronline.com/editorials/editorials_startingup.shtml
Seer Council Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_ulthwe.shtml
Guardians Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_defenderguardians.shtml

--To view the full picture of my avatar, click this link: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/m/e/meilleur/eldebaran.gif.html

Athaga Mor

having played against tons of SMurfs (tho I don't know much about CSM termies) termies tend not to pay fo themselves against my eldar army.  However I did buy some for my new nurgle army.  I think the chaos termies are some the tightest mini in 40k - new ones like the GK's would be great, but I like the current ones too.

and personally i think 1k sons termies tend to be a good way to go, especially in a retinue b/c they are powerful (being able to flame and move) and also soak up tons of fire.
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

VooDoo

I use them religiously, but the only think I wish, is they were T6.  Other than that, they're awesome...

Help the GREAT VUDU in his quest to destroy the evil ZEROMUS...

Join the greatest game on earth:   HERE

The brains behind the greatest clan software EVER!
ClanTEK

Dark Nick

I always field my squad of six Chaos Termi's.  This gives me two Reaper autocannons, one of the best chaos guns in my opinion. I equip them like this

3 w/ power fist and combi bolter
1 w/ chainfist and combibolter
2 w/ powerfist and reaper autocannon

they always make their points back.  Usually walking toward the enemy shooting light vehicles then assulting.  Just watch for banshees.

Silverthorn

I find that terminators are especially good against other marines. Not as much against most of the other races.

Against eldar: there are starcannons and banshees, bad idea.

Against orks: they have choppas, a termie with a 4+ save is a waste.

Against tyranids: they get so many attacks as a horde that a 2+ save is not so good anymore.

Against IG: not bad but if 2 squads of 15-20 guardsmen shoot at your terminators you are going to miss a lot of saves. Ordnances with AP2 is also a bane.

Against dark eldar: they power fists become useless and many weapons ignore saves. Not a bad option but not very cost effective.

Against Tau: a good combo if you deep strike them. Just stay away from their few AP2 weapons. Even if you have the termie walk all the way they can survive a while.

Against necrons: termies would be very good I think because AP2 or power weapons are so rare. Just stay away from the Lord or monstrous creatures.
There's no Right or Wrong
There's only Fun and Boring

--My EldarOnline articles:
Starting an Eldar army: http://www.eldaronline.com/editorials/editorials_startingup.shtml
Seer Council Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_ulthwe.shtml
Guardians Tactics: http://www.eldaronline.com/tactics/tactics_defenderguardians.shtml

--To view the full picture of my avatar, click this link: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/m/e/meilleur/eldebaran.gif.html

Strychnine

termies are a good source of fun in chaos
if you really want to squader points like a drunken commisar on leave, get khorne AC termies, give em tons of stuff, like feel no pain, axe of khorne, ect.
and have a ball!

TTRH
You will remember the night you were struck by the sight of ten thousand fists in the air.

Daemon Prince Model: $45
Bloodthirster's Axe Bit: $6
The look on your Dark Eldar opponent's face, when you tell him he doesn't get his 2+ Invulnerable Save...
Priceless.
There are some things Chaos can't kill. For everything else, there's a Dreadaxe(tm).

HellCrY

i think termis r great. i will use mine once i get them as follows

all wit MoS
3 wit sonic blasters, lightning claws
1 wit 2 lightnin claws, d str, d mutat(ass champ)
2 wit blastmasters and lightning claws

these guys can put out 12 bolter shots a turn, plus the 2 blastmaster. once u get into combat, the lightning claws work great with the warp scream ability.

Strychnine

theres no better termie group than 5 w/moS, 4 with blastmasters! (move and then shoot!)

TTRH
You will remember the night you were struck by the sight of ten thousand fists in the air.

The look on your Dark Eldar opponent's face, when you tell him he doesn't get his 2+ Invulnerable Save...
Priceless.
There are some things Chaos can't kill. For everything else, there's a Dreadaxe(tm).

Wuestenfux

I'm toying with the idea to include a squad of
Termies in my EC army, for more than 1500 pts.
A squad of 6 with 2 blastmasters holding or grabbing
objects might be a good buy.

Lum

I just use them for deep striking.
No point in hetting a LR for them, just too expensive.
I only tend to use them against SMurfs everyone else seems to have an answer for them.
But i tend to use them just because they look cool. And if they release new bigger GK/Chaos plastic termies i would use them more.

Lum
...Satan with his angles now fallen into hell, not in the centre but in a place of utter darkness, fitliest called chaos: here Satan with his angles lying on a burning lake, thunder-struke and astonised, after a certain space recovers, as from confusion, calls up him who next in order and dignity lay by him; calls up him who next in order and dignity lay by him, they confer of their misserable fall, Satan awakens all his legions... (Book 1, The Argument, Paradise Lost, John Milton)

Sage

Terminators need to be applied correctly on the battlefield if you wish to accomplish anything.

But when you teleport them into perfect postion, or counter-charge into a ferocious melee, they can win you entire games (sometimes with their shooting, but usually in a vital round of CC).

I personally find Nurglesque Terminators the best as the extra T really helps when you need to fend off rabble such as Gaunts and Guardsmen, who tend to drag down other Terminators (with their # of attacks, as Silverthorn said).

Lum

In one of my recent games a Termie squad of mine got 3 of it's 5 members taken out on my second turn, poor playing on my part. But those 2 termies destroyed 12 marines and a character because of there power weapons, amour and a good amount of luck.
Termies can win battles for you, but then so can Obliterators and possessed

Lum
...Satan with his angles now fallen into hell, not in the centre but in a place of utter darkness, fitliest called chaos: here Satan with his angles lying on a burning lake, thunder-struke and astonised, after a certain space recovers, as from confusion, calls up him who next in order and dignity lay by him; calls up him who next in order and dignity lay by him, they confer of their misserable fall, Satan awakens all his legions... (Book 1, The Argument, Paradise Lost, John Milton)

Strychnine

yes, but possessed cant deepstrike (unless u give em wings, IF you can (dont remember))
and deepstriking an oblit usually isnt a good idea, as theyre not too great at moving and CC
my advice for oblits-keep em near the rear of your army, and slowly move em up (moveandshoot, moveandshoot!)

TTRH

Priceless.

CD

Quote from: Typhus' Trusted Right-Hand on July 12, 2003, 11:25:58 AM
yes, but possessed cant deepstrike (unless u give em wings, IF you can (dont remember))

No, Daemonic Flight doesn't let you Deepstrike. Although I must argue with you, Possessed cost less, have higher strength, same invulnerable save, access to rhinos, and all that other nice stuff (Daemonic Upgrades). Unless you're fighting guys with lots of 3+ saves, those Powerweapons won't really be worth it either.

Quote from: Typhus' Trusted Right-Hand on July 12, 2003, 11:25:58 AM
and deepstriking an oblit usually isnt a good idea, as theyre not too great at moving and CC
my advice for oblits-keep em near the rear of your army, and slowly move em up (moveandshoot, moveandshoot!)

One of the most devestating weapons on the Obliterator is the twin-linked plasmagun, along with the twin linked melta. Oblits are very good at close range, and their Power Fists, High S and T, low initiative (they've got powerfists) and great saves make them rather good in close combat. Sure, I wouldn't pay that many points for a unit to just be in close combat, but that's why they can shoot as they walk, making the 'slow and purposeful' rules pretty worthwhile.

khaine

Yes I use Terminators, only in my Alpha LEgion army, but then I have 18 of them (16 Chosen + 2 Lts)

3*6 man squads, 1 Chain Fist per squad, the rest with lightning claws or power weapons.

They are doing well so far, it's amazing the amount of fire power they can shrug off, just got to watch out for the AP 2 weapons.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Lum

Well i was going to argue with you Typhus' Trusted Right-Hand but Creeping Death has beat me to it and has done a better job than i would have.  ;)

Lum