News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Raven Fighter...  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Lord Malwrack

• "Lord Malzor says...."
  • Last of the old school Archons...
Raven Fighter...
« on: September 11, 2005, 01:31:38 PM »
>:(

Lord Malzor managed to acquire an unassembled Raven Fighter. Before it arrives in the mail, Lord Malzor was wondering who else here has had experience putting one together? And how difficult was it working with resin?

Lord Malzor has spent a fair amount of money on this plane, and he does not want to screw it up.
Lord Malwrack

as seen in the short story, "A Gift for Mistress Baeda", from Black Library

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
Re: Raven Fighter...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 03:44:23 PM »
resin is a super glue job.... plastic glue doesn't hold.

clean the gunk off the resin first, it's the bits of the mould the failed to wash off... and let the model dry. Clean it up and super glue together. You might want to fill the holes between the pieces with super fine milliput or something similar ( green stuff).

painting is the same as plastic.... spray, spray again, then paint as normal :)

currently i'm converting a falcon for the same purposes....

currently it's a mass of sharp things, guns and other choice bits... I also got some plastic a made some large wings/gun mounts.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 03:45:48 PM by nesbitt_bub1 »

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 04:22:31 PM »
Not difficult at all.  Just make sure to get all the flashing off first.  Make sure you wash it in warm water and soap before you prime.  Like most resin kits it will have a fine coating of the mold release on it. 

Before you glue TEST FIT EVERYTHING, twice.  And take your time.  Nothing is worse than an expensive model put together in 5 minutes.  I left the sycthes that look like the ones in the Raider kits off.  Didn't like the way they looked.  And my SC barrel was bent when I got it.  Heating it under hot water and gently bending it back took care of that.   
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline The Frugal Gamer

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 07:42:02 PM »
I think that the others have hit the important points.  It is essential to wash the resin before painting or gluing, since resin by its nature retains the mold release chemicals more than plastic or metal.  It is also more likely to bend or warp than plastic or metal.  You can often fix this by heating the part up in hot water or with a hair dryer and bending it back.  Also, you may find holes in the resin.  These are from air bubbles in the resin material that floated up after pouring to the model surface.  All you can do about this is fill it with green stuff and sand it down.  Unless there's a large number of holes or some irreplacable details are obscured, don't try to get a replacement (if you're buying directly from a dealer).  No replacement is likely to be any better.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop

Offline Lord Malwrack

• "Lord Malzor says...."
  • Last of the old school Archons...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 08:11:14 PM »
I left the scythes that look like the ones in the Raider kits off.  Didn't like the way they looked.  

Lord Malzor will also be leaving those off, as they spoil the lines of the plane, as do the six blades on the nose.

I would like to rig the two big rear scythes to attach magnetically, then turn them into optional bomb pylons.  :)
Lord Malwrack

as seen in the short story, "A Gift for Mistress Baeda", from Black Library