News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2 Hqs is it worth it?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Brettzky

• I'm just two women short of a threesom.
2 Hqs is it worth it?
« on: October 2, 2003, 05:27:09 PM »
Is it worth it too have two HQ's?  I've had people suggest to me to have a Archon with an agoniser with a Reaver,Drugs,Tormenator Helm, P 'nades, and S.Field.
But they say I should have two DE hqs, the other one being Drachon with Agoniser and S.Pistol and C. Drugs with a squad of 6 incubi in a raider.  Is it worth it to have another HQ since it cant have a Shadow Field.  I thought it wasn't but I'm new to the game so I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are?  Will it die too quickly since they can target it with attacks?

Thanks Brettzky ;D

Offline Invidious

• Lazerous Penguin
Re:2 Hqs is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 2, 2003, 06:05:40 PM »
The answer is that it pretty much depends on the game size.  2000+, I would consider it.  Mainly because I do happen to have 5 incubi, and a really nicely converted incubi/incubi master, just cause I wanted something different.  Well..  Lets just say they usually don't se a lot of action.  But I'm off the topic already.  in 1500 and below, not a chance.  Probably no in 1750, and a tenative no in 1850.  

Pick one or the other, not both.  Otherwise you have lots of points invested in very few models, wich is not good.  When I play  DE (and it doesn't work for other races, so mind that) I usually work the 'rule of 200.'  In any game of 1500 points no unit costs more than about 200 points.  Thats about 13% of your army in one unit.  This way if you loose it, although it might hurt... its not devestating.  If you loose that 300 point "One fifth of my strike force" HQ than it is really quite  a punch in the face.  In case you were wondering, those 200 pt squads are my wych units.

Personally I'm not a big fan of incubi.  I've stated my reasons before, and I think it is infinitely better to stick her on a skyboard, or a reaver, or even just use her as an IC and attach her to a wych squad.  Basically because if the raider carrying the incubi gets shot down on turn 1, you have a whole lot of nothing for the rest of the game with that unit.  At least with the wych raider, the wyches and archon can still fleet of foot.

But it looks like I'm off the subject again.  I would go with an Archon with power weapons, reaver, drugs, tormentor helm, shadowfield.  Comes out to a beautiful 165 points.  If you really want you can put plasmas on her as well, I usually don't, but thats personal pref I guess.

Does it die quickly becasuse of all those attacks?  Oh abosloutely.  Its hack slash and burn.  But there are 2 things you can do about it.

1) Throw some meat into the grinder along with her.  A warrior squad works nicely.  Then at least some of the attacks pretty much (not always) have to go against the warriors, and not your precious archon.  While she dishes out the destruction

2) Simply let it happen.  Get a few lucky rolls here and there and the archon will become known and feared as a monster.  Then use the psych out tactics with her, throw her at something your opponent doesn't want to die, he will probably overcompensate with rescources trying to stop you, allowing you to hammer him elsewhere.  This is what I usually do, though I'm really trying to force myself to use a more conservative appraoach.

As far as an HQ without shadowfield goes...  Well it doesn't matter if you have incubi around.  The real reason you even bought the lord is so you can take incubi.  So if it dies, no big deal, you still have the real damage dealers around.

Looks like I beat around the bush quite a bit, I hope you still managed to reap something out of all that.

Wasp
The thing I hate the most about 40K is people who amass the largest possible quantities of their Codex's most powerful unit and then proceed to call it "theme".

Offline Purple Area

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2003, 07:28:56 PM »
God I hate to be so d*** nit picky, but the Archon on the RJB like that comes out to 170.   ::)

Anyway, I agree with pretty much all of what Wasp said.  I'm not a huge fan of incubi either, but I do use 2 HQ's in a 1500 point game against marines.

2 reasons:

1) I'm rather model-limited due to my funding (I still managed to make a happy DE army that kicks things in the face ;) ).

2) I like my incubi's performance against marines

So I end up using a Dracon w/ an agonizer and pistol w/ 5 marines in a Raider (and pray to god that the marines don't shoot it down with a lucky whirlwind shot).

Thats just my preference against marines (and necrons I guess), but against all other armies I only use my RJB Archon.

I know, in a 1500 point battle against marines, I'm burning like 400 odd points on my HQ choices (thats a BAD thing), but it has worked well for me in the past...

As I said, against other armies, DEFINATLEY not in 1500 (I know most people probably disapprove of 2 HQ's and incubi in 1500 anyway ;) ).

The main reason for 1 HQ is the other HQ is likely to do nothing (unless it has incubi).  Some people like to add in a dracon/archon to squads for an added punch, I don't think thats worth it at all (morale issues).

Brief summary of my views on incubi:  Against 3+ save armies, they're hesitantly worth it (I always go with'em against Necrons, almost always 'gainst marines, its just me), otherwise I think they suck.

Which means!!  I use 2 HQ's only for the purpose of incubi, which are only during games against 3+ save armies.
http://rangerofalaitoc.proboards25.com/index.cgi

Highschool:  Too many characters and not enough plot.

If she can't take a joke, f*** her.
~ Tucker Max

When reason fails, go for volume
~ Calvin

Offline Invidious

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2003, 07:47:20 PM »
No..... its 165.  You're thinking if I gave her an agoniser, I have her with a power weapon.

Wasp
The thing I hate the most about 40K is people who amass the largest possible quantities of their Codex's most powerful unit and then proceed to call it "theme".

Offline Purple Area

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2003, 09:15:26 PM »
Dammit...  ARe you sure?

thats 105 right?  OH!!!  The Archon is 60!!  hahah...  I feel like such a dumbass...  On the plus side, I have 5 spare points on all my lists! ;)

Hehe, don't mind me, I'm just dumb.  All that highschool is sucking the life and mind out of me.
http://rangerofalaitoc.proboards25.com/index.cgi

Highschool:  Too many characters and not enough plot.

If she can't take a joke, f*** her.
~ Tucker Max

When reason fails, go for volume
~ Calvin