News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Breathing new life into the Space Marines board  (Read 1797 times)

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Breathing new life into the Space Marines board
« on: January 1, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »
It isn't a secret that the most active board in the forum belongs to the Eldar.  I'd like to see the same start happening with the Marine section, but I can't do it alone.

So what do you people think would be helpful to bring traffic back to this section of the forums? 

The one idea I have is to do army creation contests again, like the Eldar are doing.  However, I want some more opinions on other ideas.  Would there be interest in running a short story contest as well?  Does anyone have any ideas for articles they want to draw up?

Toss out ideas and recommendations, I'll do what I can to make them happen.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Breathing new life into the Space Marines board
« Reply #1 on: January 1, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
While I don't have anything in mind, I'm always happy to throw my two cents in. I'm enjoying my use of Ultramarines / Salamanders, these days. I also have some experience with reasons to not play Blood Angels these days. :)

And everyone has Marines as a secondary army, so we should be able to drum up some new voices.

I could probably string a few words together on some of the more interesting formation options... having recently accepted the need to use 7+ sources for army creation.  >:(

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2016, 08:59:56 PM »
As always, I'm happy to chime in. Marines are a secondary army for me at the moment as I focus on building a Guard force, so I don't always pay as much attention to them as I should.

As for ideas to drum up traffic, I think army-list contests could be fun. I'd definitely throw up some lists if we do that.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »
Maybe some opportunities to get some cross-fertilisation between the boards?

Something like an Eldar list competition to beat the winning entry from a prior Smurf list competition. Might get some of the frequenters from the Eldar board to take a browse through the Marine topics, and visa versa.

The Orcs are doing some list building comps now too, so maybe they could get in on the action as well.

I'm starting to run out of steam for new Eldar list-building comp ideas, so could do with some help freshening things up.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2016, 09:29:23 AM »
I love the idea of cross-board competition. "Counter this list" competitions sound fun.

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2016, 09:44:08 AM »
This probably belongs more in the project board or something, but I always enjoy seeing people slowly build up and assemble/paint their stuff. I don't think I have the money to pitch into starting a marine army of my own (although I have a soft spot for the Howling Hriffons), but I love checking out those types of threads.

And when one does have the money/time/inclination to participate, it's pretty fun (imo) to get to share your stuff.

Actually, if something like this was set up at a -super- slow pace, I might think pretty seriously about joining up. Especially if allies were allowed and it gave me a chance to fiddle with some IG or Sisters of Battle as well as marines.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2016, 09:45:58 AM by Temperance »