News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Salamanders armor heavy  (Read 370 times)

Offline Comely

Salamanders armor heavy
« on: May 10, 2007, 08:34:51 AM »
Although I dont actually play space marines I like thinking about strategies and list composition and then convincing my space marine friend to try them.  This is my idea for a salamander list.  Although it is very light on the model count the thought is that there is enough armour that over half of your opponents army will be useless.  Also I like the idea of a first turn assault with a chaplain.  Although the chaplains wont get to swing on the charge it works because if you stager the scout bikers right on the scout move the chaplain can still join them.  Two things I wanted to verify is that eye to eye does not seem to limit the number of scout bikes and are you able to use 2 weapons on a bike... I cant find anywhere where it says you cant.

chaplain bike artificer armor bolt pistol 151
chaplain bike artificer armor bolt pistol 151
Venerable Dreadnaught extra armour 130
Dreadnaught extra armour 110
Dreadnaught extra armour 110
5 marines melta lasgun(melta) rhino smoke 153
5 marines melta lasgun(melta) rhino smoke 153
5 scout bikes THonors PF boltP 156
5 scout bikes THonors PF boltP 156
Annihlator lascannons 145
Annihlator lascannons 145
vindicator 125

So how might I make this list better keeping the armor heavy theme intacted and do you think this list would work against non-necron opponents?

Also since I messed up on my point total at first how do I spend my last 15 points?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 08:40:25 AM by Comely »

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Salamanders armor heavy
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »
Personally, marine vehicles aren't good enough to really put your faith in them IMO. I'd much rather base my army around marines. I'm surprised that an Eldar player really thinks that a bunch of AV11 and AV12 armor is going to make the majority of you're opponent's army useless.

You can have the scout bikes, although they're not very fluffy in a Salamanders list. You can also have the two weapons on the bikes. Personally, I think 1 squad of bikes is enough. There rather a one-shot weapon. If you take them, they should have meltabombs. I don't think the idea of using the chaplain with the scout bikes is very good. I'm not convinced it will always work (you're going to hurt if you don't get the first turn), and it makes this a "trick" list when it does. Plus, if you're facing an army that's better than you at assault, it's a huge point sink for no real gain. Scout bikes are designed to harass soft units early in the game or kill tanks, while a chaplain is best used to to support the main body of a marine force in an assault.

Dreadnoughts aren't that good. One can be useful, maybe a second if you equip it for shooting, but three are just a point drain IMO.

The rhino squads need to be bigger to be effective (at least 8 models). They also need extra armor on the rhinos and veteran sergeants with at least power weapons (preferably fists).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 10:42:12 AM by Magus_42 »

Offline Ownageforhire

• Slaves; Don't you just love them?
Re: Salamanders armor heavy
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 10:48:41 AM »
The list is okay, but why are your rhino squads 5 man? Also, in a tankish army Dreads dont fit in. Unless you go for vernable + tank hunters and lascannons. (Quite nice. ) You should make more rhino squads with duel melta's instead of that vindiator. ( Your opponent will not let that near them. )