News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Basilisks and Space Marines.  (Read 1362 times)

Offline *Box*

• Master of the Cubes of Rolling
Basilisks and Space Marines.
« on: May 25, 2007, 12:08:23 PM »
Ok well I love huge artillery guns and big explosions so I just had to buy a basalisk. Now I have a Vostroyans army but I did not want to put the artillery in it as it is designed for cities of death so it would be rendered fairly useless. So Instead I put Space marine crew on it. One of the crew is a little guy who is carrying ammo not in power armour. The other has power armour on and he is the commander of basalisk.

So for statline I thought that it would probably be a little upgraded as it was a Space Marine basalisk not an IG one.

BS FA SA BA
  4  12 11 11     

For the back armour i put 11 because i plan on putting little shield generators around the part where the crew stand to represent that there is a force field that protects the crew from harm and making teh back armour stronger.
But there is a catch kind of. If something asaults it then they can just go through the force field and attack the vehichle.

So I was wondering what you guys think would be a good points cost for this. I might post pictures later.

Thanks.
Back in business.

So how does 540+20D6 attacks grab you?

My Space Marines

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
Re: Basilisks and Space Marines.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
Try VDR...

And when it comes to Artillery in CoD - what makes them so lousy? The small table size?

/Purg

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:19:03 PM »
There is already a precedent for SM basilisks. The Iron Warriors use them in the Chaos list, and they have the same stats and cost as an IG basilisk. If you are showing a marine crew, you could go ahead and upgrade the basilisk to BS4 if you like, but it will have no effect on the game whatsoever.

If you are set on doing this, I would just use a standard basilisk. The basilisk is good enough as it is, and does not need a further upgrade. I would recommend against doing this at all, however. Adding heavy artillery to marine firepower lists can make them horrendously cheesy and no fun for your opponents to play against.

Basilisks are lousy on CoD due to the small table size (almost nothing will be within the minimum range for indirect fire), poor LoS, lots of cover to negate the AP3, and the special rules for city ruins terrain that can reduce the impact of ordinance, and can negate barrage weapons entirely.

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:24:11 PM »
Basilisks are lousy on CoD due to the small table size (almost nothing will be within the minimum range for indirect fire), poor LoS, lots of cover to negate the AP3, and the special rules for city ruins terrain that can reduce the impact of ordinance, and can negate barrage weapons entirely.

Right, thanks for that :) I've never used a vehicle in CoD at all, let a lone a Basilisk :p

OP: I tried VDR for fun. The vehicle above costs 140 points and is a Heavy Support choice.

Offline kasrkin43

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 08:44:38 PM »
Why not just convert a whirlwind to having a big gun but for gaming purposes just keep the normal stats?

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:54:36 PM »

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with a Marine opponent fielding a Basalisk, whether it be IG standard, VDR or well-balanced home rules, provided they weren't blatantly doing it for powergaming purposes.

For points, 140 seems pretty spot on. VDR is quite good at doing anything other than fast skimmers.

Offline *Box*

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:06:46 PM »
Ok thanks. I think 140 sounds good in points. I'm about to spray and paint it.
Back in business.

My Space Marines

Offline Aervyper Venom

• Neophyte
  • Jade Reavers
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:25:43 AM »
*whispers* go with a Griffon..... *chuckles* I love my 2 griffons over Basilisks.
Armies:
-Space Marines: Jade Reavers
- Imperial Guard: Catachan 221
- Eldar
- Orks
- Aervyper Venom

Offline Gladewalker

• Commissar
  • XO, 38th Infantry Division
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 03:57:12 PM »
I think all you'd need to do is add an armored crew (compartment) upgrade. The vehicle itself doesn't get more armored having space marines on it. The crew just becomes less vulnerable to the open topped rules.

This works in other instances... one example being when 3+ save troops are in a rhino with the top hatch open it's not open topped... another is the Land Speeder isn't open topped because the troops are in power armor, etc

As for BS4... that's in the rules too (armored company ;-)

We'll be there when the morning comes!
Screw their minds up with our guns!
We're the last thing they will see!
We're the 98th Reserve Cadian Infantry!

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2007, 04:59:20 AM »
he armour is too heavy, even for a normal IG artillery!, stick with 12-10-10, like the normal one. why would it have heavier armour on the rear than a predator, and the same total armour as a predator?

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Gladewalker

• Commissar
  • XO, 38th Infantry Division
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
Agreed... it's an SP gun, not a tank. Look at the Iron Warriors from Index Astartes or the LATD list. They explain the best way to do it.
We'll be there when the morning comes!
Screw their minds up with our guns!
We're the last thing they will see!
We're the 98th Reserve Cadian Infantry!

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 12:31:25 AM »
basilisks are also bad in cities because everybody gets a (good) cover save. Not much point in having that much strength and that low of an AP if they're getting a 3+ from being in a building...

Personally, I would be miffed if I saw a basilisk in space marine hands. It would be like an imperial guard land raider, or imperial guard terminators. Just because another imperial army has something you like doesn't mean you can just have it. If you want a basilisk, I'd say take allies, like everyone else does who wants other imperial equipment. If allies can't get you what you want, then you might just have to accept it as a game balance issue...

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:29:14 AM »
if you play CoD and have a DA or BA army you can take a Whirlwind with the new missiles that negate cover saves :D
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 01:37:14 PM »
It should be noted that the "Iron Warriors version" of the Basilisk is actually looted from the battlefield.  Most Iron Warriors possess impressive mechanical intuition, like their primarch, and are known to salvage enemy siege equipment after a successful battle.  Hence, the Basilisk has the same stats (even the same Crew stats, though it's a wonder why the Iron Warriors don't improve the design).

If you wanted Space Marine heavy artillary, it would probably be based on the Whirlwind.  You could use the Whirlwind with modified Castellan rounds- say it can fire like an Earthshaker but only four times a battle. 

A massive cannon would be too heavy for the Rhino chassis, I suppose you could hollow-out a Landraider and put an Earthshaker inside, but that's getting excessive (could be interesting, though- AV14, AV12, AV10).
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline *Box*

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 01:11:16 AM »
Wow lots of cool ideas.
I don't want to take allies as then the crew would have to be Imperial Guard and I don't want that. I just cant resist the big guns so I've already put some space marine crew on. I was thinking of putting the vindicator tank commander in the little hatch on the front of the basalisk. Might make it feel a little more space mariney.
Back in business.

My Space Marines