News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A tale of two Knights (WFB Fluff)  (Read 375 times)

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
A tale of two Knights (WFB Fluff)
« on: January 5, 2005, 03:46:01 PM »
I was travelling near the boarders of the land known as Evadia, seeking glory in the name of the Lady, when I came upon I small caravan. There were three carts, the lead one carried at least a dozen soldiers. They had halted, and seemed impatient. I was walking towards them, my horse having fallen in battle against a Troll two days hence.

I got to within about seventy yards of the rear caravan, when I spotted a woman stepping out of the undergrowth. I did not ask what business had waylaid her, being an experienced traveller myself, and instead stood beside the rear cart. I was about to offer her assistance back aboard, when a voice rang out from the front. “Orcs! Orcs!”
I readied my blade, “Stay here, fare maiden! I shall defend you!”
“You,” she replied, “should look after yourself!”
With that, she threw off her travelling garments, revealing a polished breastplate. She reached into the cart, and drew a mighty sword. At first, I believed it to be a greatsword, for it was no more than a hand smaller than my own blade, yet she bore it in a single hand. With one last, harsh glance at me, she ran to join the battle. I ran after, still taken aback by this unexpected turn.

She hit the Orcs like a daemon. Her mighty sword slashed left and right, felling Greenskins with every stroke. However, she was quickly left surrounded, too far from her allies who were fighting backed up against the lead cart. Knowing the Lady would be watching me, I rushed to the woman’s aid. It was not long, however, before I realised my aid was not needed. No less than forty Orcs were assailing us, and yet she was unharmed. She fought not only with her sword, but her fists, elbows, knees and feet… and many of her techniques would be shunned in a tavern brawl!

Finally, the battle ended. We both stood, panting from the exertion of the battle. She gave me what I could best describe as a “dirty look”, and ran her tongue suggestively across her teeth.
“You fight pretty well, Bret, what’s your name?”
“I am Francois De Baal, Questing Knight of Bretonnia.”
“A Questor eh? What a coincidence…”
She approached me, brushing my hair back to see my face more clearly.
“…Not bad,” she said at last, “but I take it you’ve only got one Lady on your mind right now… my name is Lisia Valkys Peregrin, Questor of the Mercury Order of Evad. I hope to return to Alexhiem before winter. If you change your mind about trying to find this Grail, I’m sure I could find you a bed to spend a night in… or two.”
She gave me a wink, slapped my shoulder, and ran to join the departing caravan. I watched her vault upon the rear cart, and we locked eyes until the caravan was out of sight.

In all my trails… I came closest to losing my way on that day.

-Diary of a Bretonnian Knight.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2005, 04:15:52 PM by Colonel Wargamer »

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
Re: A tale of two Knights (WFB Fluff)
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2005, 03:50:51 PM »
Nice bar two quick problems. Orcs is spelt differently in FB and "shunned upon" doesn't work, maybe "frowned upon" would be better.

Replace them and it's a darn good piece of writing (bit short though, unless it's a series).
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
Re: A tale of two Knights (WFB Fluff)
« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2005, 03:46:07 PM »
Well I hadn't planned to make it anything more than a one-off, but why not...

PS: don't ask why it locked itself... my PC kept crashing every time I tried to correct the errors in the first post.

It took me a week to forget about that woman. Her face lingered in my mind, taunting my dreams. Combined with the fact that I knew nothing of the local terrain, my situation was growing more dangerous and ditressing by the hour. Occasionally I would stumble into a small gaggle of Beastmen, or Goblins, but for the most part I escaped anything too perilous. I thanked the Lady constantly for her protection.

Finally, as my supplies grew few, my nostrils were assaulted by the smell of cooking meat. I had never smelt anything so horrible in my life, yet knowing how meagre my own rations had grown, I approached.

There was a large, wide bowl, bigger than a shield. it had been filled with water, which was bubbling fiercely. A figure, covered in blood, was boiling meat in it. I approached with caution, unsure of what I would find, when the figure turned.
"Back off!" she barked, sword raised against me.
I was stunned, it was the same woman whose face had haunted my dreams.
"...Lady Peregrin?"
She lowered her blade, "well bugger me with a broadsword! The bret's back!"
We both laughed at the obsurdity of the moment. Fate, it seemed, wished us to be together. I believed that this warrior-woman may be some incarnation of the Lady, a vassal sent to test my faith and devotion, and watch over me in the final trails. The thought gave me much comfort.
She beckoned me to sit, and began poking at her cooking dish with a long metal fork.
"Want some? It's Ogre meat. Crap stuff truth be told, but out here the pickings are slim."
"Thankyou, Lady."
She laughed, "I'm no Lady. I wouldn't mind being a Lord one day... but I'm a fair way of Baron yet! Sir will do if you're being formal... "Peregrin" if you're feeling casual, but I prefer "Lisia" in all circumstances."
"Very well, Lisia... wait, how can you be a 'sir'? Surely-"
"I'm a knight. Where I come from, we call Knights Sir, unless they are of equal or lesser rank."
"Ah..."
She dished out the foul-smelling meat, which was suprisingly edible.
"So..." my mind fished around for a topic of conversation. Normally this would not be difficult, but she was quite intimidating, and the traditional fall-back of recalling heroic endevours seemed rather foolish, "...is this what you came here for?" I regretted it instantly.
"No," she replied casually, "Ogres aren't really up there in the 'things to slay' competition. Three maybe... all at once... yeah, that'd do it. Overall, it's Trolls I'd like. Yeah... nice big Troll. Big, tough, and as smart as a penguin."
I paused, "what's a penguin?"
"Not a bloody clue, but my father told my mother about them once. Said they waddle around up in the cold north. They're birds, but they swim instead of flying."
"Ah... no doubt tainted by Chaos."
"He said they were cute."
"Possibly the cold was getting to him."
"Or he was drunk."
Silence followed, as we both tried to birds swimming around happily in the cold oceans of the Sea of Chaos. As one, we fell into fits of laughter.
"He was always drunk," she continued, "but then, she was John Dragonheart's brother, so I suppose it's in his blood."
I noticed the sadness in her voice, "He is dead?"
She shrugged, "He's gone somewhere. Went off on a Paladin Quest like mine while I was still inside my mother. I was born, raised... he never came home. Nothing was heard of him. All we know is that he went east, following the paths of the Ivory Road."
"You must miss him terribly."
She paused, then took a bite out of the boiled meat. She chewed it over for some time, perhaps thinking of her father.
"No," she said at last, "but I think I'd have rather been a Dragonheart than a Peregrin. I've seen James, my cousin, and the things he gets up to... he's married now, to Lord Gryphon's daughter. Hell, I've been out drinking with him, and he sure knows how to have fun! He's my kind of company. Problem is, there's nobody like that in the Mercury Order. Sure, they have fun, but all the real nut-jobs are Dragons."
She glanced across at my now-empty plate, and nodded to the Ogre meat-bowl. I helped myself to more.
"So why are you here, Bret?"
I swallowed a chewy morsal, "I seek the Grail. I dream of someday becoming a Grail Knight, to stand by the side of the Lady, and guard her sacred places."
"Wow... we do have a lot in common..."
I looked across at her, puzzled. She sighed, "When I was thirteen, I tried to become a Praetorian, one of the royal guards to the King of Arms, and keeper of the Lores of Alyx. They make you stand in a stone chamber that's cold as a winter's morning, stripped save for your breeches, and they bring in a red-hot sword. You've got to hold the sword whilst reciting the Oath of the Praetorian. If you do that, they'll brand their symbol onto your chest, and you're one of them. It's hard, and most people don't get more than half way through..."
"How did you do?"
Her voice trembled as she sighed, "I couldn't even start. It hurt so much. I dropped it, crying from the pain. They never let you try again, so all I have are these..." she showed me the palms of her hands, tanned the colour of terracotta, "burned forever to show the world my failure..."
She stood up, and wandered over to the lip of the hill we had used for shelter. She looked out to the west, towards her homeland.
"I'm a disgrace. I failed my family, and myself. I'll tell you the truth, Bretonnian: I didn't come out here to become a Paladin, I came out here to die. This way, everyone will believe I died with honour, and that my spirit will live on forever in the Halls of Alyx. No-one has to be cursed with me... you should go too, before my curse brings your quest to ruin."
I rose, "I choose my own company, Lisia, and I do not believe you to be ill-chosen. Indeed, I-"
"Just get the hell out of my sight!"
I was shocked by her sudden change in temprement. Gathering my things, I turned away from her, and carried on. It seemed the Lady had not chosen her to guide me after all...

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.