News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k even more money hungry...  (Read 1066 times)

Offline (CoD)Phredom

• Make pancakes
40k even more money hungry...
« on: July 12, 2003, 11:26:34 PM »
well now these corprate f**ks have shut down all online retailers?! wtf is with that? they just want as much money without givving a s**t about the little guy, who lives off selling this stuff online.... gw pisses me off. anyone else?

Offline Purple Area

• Ancient
Re:40k even more money hungry...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 11:36:45 PM »
Well the retailers haven't been shut down yet.  Chaosmailorder mentioned something about June 15, but they sounded like they're still gonna sell stuff.

What exactly is GW doing?  I mean CAN they just stop online retailers?

All I know is if ALL online retailers are truly shut down from selling games products..  I will NOT be buying for 40k or starting fantasy.  I'll stick with my 1500 DE and Ulthwe armies.
http://rangerofalaitoc.proboards25.com/index.cgi

Highschool:  Too many characters and not enough plot.

If she can't take a joke, f*** her.
~ Tucker Max

When reason fails, go for volume
~ Calvin

Offline (CoD)Phredom

• Make pancakes
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 11:42:46 PM »
the retail stores are just as overpriced as gw.

my favorite place, wargames workshop, has been shut down.... they were awesome, cheap(er then gw) prices, no s&h for stuff over 50$ and priority mail. saved me alotta money but now i gotta buy crap at outrageous prices...

Offline Yentz

• My Warjack Pwns Your Dreadnought
  • Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 11:48:16 PM »
Phredom, all hope is not yet lost... GW has not managed to shut down E-Bay(although Im sure they will try) or EO own trading forum. Next time you need to buy some stuff, check out Ebay. You will be surprised at how cheap stuff is.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2003, 11:54:11 PM »
sadly, GW does have the power to do this.  and with good reason.

yes, they are money hungry, but then again...what company in a capitalist country isnt?  the answer is....NONE!  hate to break it to ya like that, but its the truth.  GW is in business to make money (heh, stupid MI:2 quote)

anyways...they are able to stop online stores from selling their wares, but they are unable to stop people from selling their miniatures or trading them off for others
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Warpspider666

• WHY IS EVERYONE A LLAMA??
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 12:41:23 AM »
Phredom, all hope is not yet lost... GW has not managed to shut down E-Bay(although Im sure they will try) or EO own trading forum. Next time you need to buy some stuff, check out Ebay. You will be surprised at how cheap stuff is.

yea it is cheap, i'm bidding about 125$$ for about 300-400 $ retail value there... prepainted and everything... which is good for me, i'm not good at painting... i just hope my bid lasts...
mmmm.... llama...

Offline Exodus Reclaimed

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 12:30:54 PM »
I know how you feel. Every few times I enter a Games Workshop store they seem to have put the prices up on all their wares. The WarHammer 40,000 paintset, for example, used to cost just £10. Then it went up to £12, and is now a large £15. How much higher are they willing to buff up there prices? They continous enlarge the prices on all their stuff from time to time by about £1.00. Will they keep on doing this until on the rich or very dedicated can afford there stuff? I certainly wouldn't want to end up paying £2.50 each for their paint pots.

The same goes with the outrageous prices of animes on DVD. They charge £19.99 for three episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion with only standard extras. Burn Up Excess is the same, except their extras are a bit more pleasing. They also like to space out their epsidoes onto as many DVD's as they can get away with, to increase produce, when they could very well place the episodes of fewer DVD's and save us all a heap of money, but then no company thinks like that do they?

Offline Devern, The Unsung Hero

• I will slumber until called upon
  • Ancient
  • Look out Boys, I'm coming
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 01:12:26 PM »
DVD's are expensive, but thats not the issue.  Yeah it's annoying that GW is bumping their prices, but seriously E-bay is the way to go.
Quote from: Sheep
FMG is a Swiss army knife. Always a tool, but with so many functions. And he fits right in your pocket.
I cut a hole in your head, using it as a hump-hole.[/color]
We have some messed up people here..

Offline Emperor's Light

• "Be cleansed in the Pure Light of the Emperor!"
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2003, 04:24:30 PM »
Pretty much. Thank the Emperor for E-Bay. All retail and the stores that sell them for 30% off are shutting down too. Another reason why they are stopping online buyers is because their own online store is lacking customers.
My question is: does this blockade only extend to US and GB online retailers? What about the Canadian Miniatures website?
"We shine His light upon the darkness, for the darkness hates the light."

"I am an Imperial Inquisitor serving the Light of the Golden Throne of Terra, and you are a thing of filth and darkness serving only yourself. You are everything I stand against."

"With faith in Him we cannot fail."

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2003, 06:19:34 PM »
WarStore still has offline Mail Order...  Free shipping over $60, 20% off, best customer service ever, what more could you want?
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

• The Former Deaths Face
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 06:48:25 PM »
the thing with ebay is you need a credit card, and sadly, i dont got one (im 16), and my parents wont boot for me. so in away ebay just plain sux to those with no access to a credit card, dont get me wrong as soon as i get one ill probly get all my stuff there too!

Deaths Face
"Another taste of the Evil I breed will level you completely"
- Disturbed

Current Army:
Iron Warriors - 1000pts  W:2 L:1 D:1

Future Army Projects:
Imperial Guard - 1000pts

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 09:53:59 AM »
GW is stopping the online retailers by discontinuing there supply to them. Pure and simple and oh so legal. The fact that the online shops could sell the same product for cheaper without the overheads of a shop to maintain means that those retailers supported by GW and GW themselves were losing money because of the Online Shops.

GW can not stop you from trading secondhand GW products.

Offline Rathireon

• Speaker of Corny Lingo
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 12:01:42 PM »
GW deserve every penny they make.  If I was head of GW I would do exactly the same thing.  GW's concern is not to look after the 'little people'.  Now stop the whinging and go to: -

EBAY  EBAY  EBAY  EBAY  EBAY  EBAY  EBAY  EBAY  EBAY  EBAY  EBAY

Offline Iyanden_WraithLord

• If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2003, 07:26:10 PM »
All I can say guys is this:
THE STORM GUARDIANS ARE HERE!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
AND THEY COST 38$ FOR 8!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(
And I just bought a Battlefleet Eldar Void Stalker, which, for the size of a Wraithguard and a half, set me back 50$!!!!!! :o :o
So yeah, EBAY EBAY
Or, better yet...
You guys can go to bartertown.com, I make alot  of trades there, have yet to be ripped off, its a good site
JUST DONT SEND YOUR STUFF FIRST. LOL
Let me know what Eldar you want to buy, I probably have it.

Best Car/Truck ever? Only Dodge... http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/Cool_Mpegs.php?cart=LXYMqqMp

Offline Hatchan

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Now with Super-Turbo-****Yoo Action!
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2003, 08:46:04 PM »
I never buy my stuff from Games Workshop anymore, unless i absolutely have to. Ive found myself a nice little store that sells pretty much everything GW do (sometimes even a bit cheaper), and the offer a %10 discount to members.

The same goes with the outrageous prices of animes on DVD. They charge £19.99 for three episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion with only standard extras. Burn Up Excess is the same, except their extras are a bit more pleasing. They also like to space out their epsidoes onto as many DVD's as they can get away with, to increase produce, when they could very well place the episodes of fewer DVD's and save us all a heap of money, but then no company thinks like that do they?

DVD's arent that bad. Well at least not down here in Aus. On the weekend i picked up X, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll for only $80Aus. Bargin!