News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Orks Vs Vostroyan AM--Blitz  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
1500 Orks Vs Vostroyan AM--Blitz
« on: May 2, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »
1500 Orks Vs Vostroyan AM: Blitz

I'll remember it forever. My brother and I had been hiding in the outskirts of Arendt ever since the greenskins took over. I couldn't've been older than eight, my brother a year older. My parents had died in the initial assault--so had just about everyone else. Three months--cold, winter months--hiding in bombed out buildings, trying to dodge the packs of grots that went hunting for easy prey at night. We drank melted snow and ate from a few C-ration tins we'd found on dead soldiers. We assumed we would die there. We told each other stories of how glorious it would be--we had a stolen laspistol and an entrenching tool. If we got cornered, we figured we'd fight to the death and then be welcomed to the Emperor's table. We wondered how may grots we'd kill before they got us.

But then, one morning, we heard the steady thud of guns. It grew louder the next day. And the next. The orks got excited. More and more greenskin trucks and guns were transported to where we were hiding. Orks with huge shootas lumbered around in the ruins, fighting with each other, barking in their harsh voices. I didn't know what it meant, but my brother did. "They're coming for us," he said.

They arrived at dawn on the fourth day, the preceding night consisting of nothing but thunderous explosions from guns no one could see, least of all the orks. I should have been frightened, but I wasn't. I was too numb to the thought of my own death by then; this was exciting. For once, I was watching greenskins get blown to pieces. I was watching orks panic as they re-arranged their slipshod defenses. This was not terror for me--it was catharsis.

That dawn, the Vostroyan Firstborn came--no mealy PDF, no green conscripts--but hard-eyed men in the Emperor's Service, their ornate lasguns spitting death to any ork who crossed their holosights. Into the teeth of the ork guns, they came. Into the face of the ork warmachines, they marched. Beneath the tearing wrath of ork flyers, they did not hesitate.

And at that moment, I knew what would become of me:

I would be a soldier.

After weeks of preparation, the Vostroyan campaign to re-take the industrial hub city of Arendt is coming to a head. My noble warriors of the Imperium are ready to smash the Greenskins and drive them back from the Emperor's realm. Though this is a narrative campaign mission, we elected to use matched play rules for army construction. We would not be using the newest Beta rules (Strategic Reserves and Band of Brothers) until we'd discussed them with the rest of our gaming group.

Vostroyan Infantry Brigade
HQ
Company Commander (Warlord: Grand Strategist)
Company Commander
Company Commander w/Powerfist, Armor of Graf Toschenko

Troops
Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher
5 Scions w/2x Melta, Plasma Pistol

Elites
Command Squad w/4x Plasmagun
Command Squad w/4x Plasmagun
Special Weapon Squad w/3x Flamer
Special Weapon Squad w/3x Flamer

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinel w/Autocannon

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Executioner w/Plasma Sponsons
Leman Russ Punisher w/HBolter Sponsons
Mortar Squad
Lascannon Squad

Dedicated Transport
Chimera w/HBolter, Multilaser

Flyer
Valkyrie w/Multilaser, Rocket Pods, Door HBolters

Ork Battalion
HQ
Warboss w/Attack Squig, Shoota, Power Klaw
Weirdboy w/Da Jump

Troops
12 Slugga Boyz w/Big Choppa
11 Slugga Boyz w/Big Choppa
30 Shoota Boyz w/Power Klaw

Elites
12 Tankbustas

Fast Attack
Warbuggy w/Twin Big Shootas
Warbuggy w/Twin Big Shootas
2 Warbuggies w/Twin Big Shootas

Heavy Support
2 Kustom Mega Kannons
2 Kustom Mega Kannons
2 Kustom Mega Kannons

Transports
Trukk w/Big Shoota
Trukk w/Big Shoota
Trukk w/Big Shoota

Flyers
Dakkajet w/6 Supa Shootas

Mission, Terrain, and Deployment

The Blitz mission calls for the attacker (myself) to try and get as many units as he can in the middle or opposite side of the board (1 point for the middle, 2 for the back). The defender (the orks) get points for each unit they kill. The Sustained Assault and Preliminary Bombardment rules are in effect for the attacker, the Hidden Deployment rules were in place for the defender and both attacker and defender get a suite of fairly handy stratagems. This game would be something of a challenge for me, I felt, because it required getting not just one or two units, but a LOT of units outside my DZ and into enemy territory. My list isn't exactly fast, as you can see, so my hope was to get the few fast things I had into place and then hope the rest of my army kept his busy for long enough they didn't die.

Terrain was themed--the eastern half of the board was the ork DZ, completed with ruins, a defensive line, and a series of obstacles blocking my advance. Plenty of LOS-denying stuff, plenty of cover, and so on. My half of the board (the west) had three small craters and that was it. A road ran down the middle of the board, from west to east.

The Orks deployed using Hidden Deployment first. As luck would have it, I managed to more-or-less guess which units of his were which just based on the placement of the markers. He put the warbuggies up front as an outriding force, the two Slugga Boy trukks (+Warboss) behind the northern trench, the Tankbusta Trukk behind a small ruin south of the road, the Mek Gunz lined up in the second ork line from the southern edge to just across the road, and the Shoota Boyz and Weirdboy hiding out in the NE corner behind an LOS-blocking building. Finally, the Dakkajet dropped in the SE corner in a ruin, ready to strafe my lines.

The only thing I guessed wrong on was where the Tankbustas would be going (thought they would be closer), so my deployment was very nearly a direct response to the enemy. The Valkyrie with the two command squads and Powerfist Officer dropped in the NW corner with the 3 Sentinels just in front of it (I elected *not* to scout the Sentinels, as I wanted to prevent any first turn charges if possible). The mortars and lascannons went along the back edge of my DZ to the north and south of the road, respectively. The Chimera (with both Special Weapons Squads aboard) went in front of the mortars and the Punisher went in front of the Lascannons (perhaps not the best placement, as the damned thing blocked LOS!). The Executioner went in the southernmost crater. In front of all of this, and right along the edge of my DZ, went all 50 of my infantry--two deployed a bit north, two deployed a bit south, and one just behind in reserve. The Warlord deployed to command the southern two squads, the generic Company Commander ("the Captain") deployed to command the northern squads. The Scions, of course, prepared to grav-chute in at the opportune moment.

Following all this was my preliminary bombardment. One Stratagem ("Heavy Bombardment") enabled me to get a hefty bonus to the chance to do damage to the enemy units. As I was sitting on 15 CP (thanks Big FAQ!) and had the chance to refund spent CP (thanks, Grand Strategist!), I figured it was worth the investment. I spend a total of 7 CP--one on each group of Warbuggies, one on each Trukk, and one on the Dakkajet. I only managed to damage the Tankbusta Trukk (3 wounds) and the Dakkajet (6 wounds!) and refunded myself 1 CP, which was fairly lame considering the odds. I then rolled for the rest of his army just on the regular odds and suddenly started rolling 6s left and right. I took out 2 Mek Gunz and 3 grot crews (and damaged a 4th) in short order, which was a pretty crazy run of the dice (though I feel it made up for the terrible run I'd just had).

Deployment

Vostroyan Deployment
Ork Deployment

Turn 1
To continue the piling-on the orks, I get first turn automatically (as I'm the attacker). The Punisher moved to the side to give the Lascannons LOS and the Valkyrie and all Infantry Squads moved forward. My lasguns and grenade launchers from all the infantry squads used First Rank/Second Rank liberally to drop a lot of wounds on the Warbuggies. They did a good job hanging on, but I managed to wipe them all out. The Lascannons and Executioner made short work of the Tankbusta's trukk, causing them to spill out into a ruin. The Heavy Bolters on the Punisher, the mortars, and the Valkyrie all combined to wiping the unit down to only 3 orks (forcing my opponent to spend CP for Insane Courage). Lastly, the Scout Sentinels proved themselves to be servicable anti-aircraft platforms by doing about 4 wounds or so to the Dakkajet, dropping it to its lowest profile. A massively productive first turn, to be sure.

Top of Turn 1

Sound the advance!
Thinning out the Ork front lines

The orks respond with a very ineffective volley of Kustom Mega Kannon plasma at my southern infantry squads, killing not a single guy. One gun did manage to take 2 wounds off the Valkyrie. The Tankbustas also tried for a crack at my infantry and also missed. The Dakkajet did a bit better, blowing away the Lascannon squad despite its damaged systems (and by "systems" in an ork vehicle, we mean duct tape and bungee cords). Both remaining trukks shoot forward (a tactical error, methinks, as disembarking and charging might have worked thanks to the Warboss enabling charges after advancing) and fire a smattering of small arms at infantry, killing 2 men in on northern infantry squad and 1 in another. The Warboss's trukk then charges one unit while the second trukk tries to charge at another but fails. The warboss's trukk doesn't do any damage, nor do I do any damage to it. The Shoota Boyz wait patiently to be "Da Jumped' in somewhere, but my opponent declines to commit them.

Bottom of Turn 1

Trying to run me over, eh?

Turn 2
In my next turn, I compound my opponent's mistake in not disembarking his slugga boyz by surrounding the warboss's trukk with infantry (thanks to Move Move Move on the northernmost unit). I use the Grenadiers Stratagem after a Get Back in the Fight to the unit the Trukk charged (they fell back in a ring around the trukk) and pound it with grenades. This turn marks the only time, all game, when a grenade launcher hit its target, doing 3 wounds to the trukk with a krak grenade. Finally, the Executioner obliterated the trukk with its main gun. Only 3 orks and the Warboss managed to disembark successfully from the wreckage, but the Warboss was standing in front (oops!). The Punisher, advancing slowly, then ripped the warboss apart with its full compliment of weaponry.

Continuing this devastating turn, the Valkyrie grav-chuted the Command squads and powerfist officer behind the other trukk (in truth, I forgot about the 9" bubble for a grav-chute insertion, but if anything that would have worked *more* in my favor, not less, as will become clear soon). The Executioner, however, used its plasma cannons to shoot down the Dakkajet, and the ensuing explosion killed 2 out of 4 plasma gunners in one command squad. That squad fired its remaining guns at the backside of the other ork trukk, killing one guy with overheat and causing the last one to cower in terror for the remainder of the battle. The other Command Squad fired without incident (again benefiting from Take Aim) and destroyed the trukk. Mortars, the Valkyrie, and the Chimera then gunned down all but 1 of the orks that disembarked and the remaining nob fled in terror. In the south, my squads continued to advance, shooting down the remaining Tankbustas with little trouble. The southernmost squad received a Move Move Move order and made it into the ork DZ, but mines placed there killed two guys.

Behind enemy lines, the Scions dropped in and killed a lot of gun crew grots, leaving only 5 in total for the last 4 guns. Also, the Lascannon Squad was replaced with reinforcements thanks to the Sustained Attack rule, but it hardly matters, since they didn't do a damned thing all game.

Top of Turn 2

How You Know You Screwed Up: Figure 1
Fly-by!
Pictured: Sneaky Hoomie Gitz

After a devastating second turn, I think my opponent was reeling a bit, since not a lot happened. The remaining slugga boyz charged a squad, killing 4-5 guys (they used To The Death to stick around). The Weirdboy and the Shoota boyz did their best to shoot down the Valkyrie with bullets and lightning, doing a total of 4 wounds with smites and Shoota shots. The Mek Gunz all target the Scions but only manage to kill 1 of them. Oof.

Bottom of Turn 2

Stand and Fight!

Turn 3
If it wasn't ugly before, it gets uglier for the Orks now. My troops are swarming over the ork defenses now. The Scions along with various supporting firepower manage to take out all remaining Mek Gunz. The squad in combat with the remaining Sluggas is issued a Repel The Enemy order and gun them down or kill the orks in assault. All other infantry are advancing and taking pot shots at the Shoota boyz. Combined firepower from various lasguns, the hovering Valkyrie, the Punisher's Heavy Bolters, and the Chimera kill something like 14-15 of the squad (about half). The orks are not getting off this board alive.

Top of Turn 3

The Scions see off the remains of the grots
Cue stirring orchestral music...

In the bottom of the turn, the orks get what revenge they can--the shoota boyz use Da Jump to move south and charge the Scions, killing them in close combat.

Bottom of Turn 3

A rough end, but totally worth it.

Turn 4
The coup de grace. My forces blow apart the remaining shoota boyz. The weirdboy is destroyed by a hovering Valkyrie and its rocket bombardment. The orks are tabled. Everything moves forward, too.

Top of Turn 4

I'm in ur base killing ur doodz

Final Score
Vostroyans: 8
Orks: 3 (tabled)

Post Mortem
Well, this wound up being a cake walk. Part of that is due to the mission, I feel (it's always rough facing IG shooting first thing and the preliminary bombardment hurt), but I think my opponent did himself a disservice by holding back with those shoota boyz for as long as he did. If he had committed them first thing (on the south flank, for instance), he would have done a LOT more damage to me. Would he have won? I don't know--my tanks were ripping him to shreds and his artillery was having a bad dice day and I never even needed to engage all my flamer-toting special weapon squads. My opponent has observed he's still getting the feel for larger games (when opportunities to "surprise" enemies with Da Jump are far fewer), which is fair. Also, there's just the fact that the Astra Militarum is crazy, crazy dangerous in this edition. They are basically benefiting from the metagame to a great extent (and I'm surprised I don't see them in the rankings for tourneys more often--possibly because its hard to play them quickly).

The Grenade Launchers were garbage. I need to scare up a few more points (and a few more models) to upgrade them all to Plasma Guns, because the difference those scant few points make is huge. Everything else in my list performed fairly well with the exception of the Lascannons, but they weren't terribly missed--I had more than enough firepower to deal with the problems I was faced with. The new CP rules for Brigades are pretty great, too--I had basically unlimited CPs, especially when combined with Grand Strategist.

Looks like the Orks are in trouble, ladies and gents. Arendt will soon be mine! Thanks for reading and thanks, as always, to my opponent!
« Last Edit: May 2, 2018, 03:19:38 PM by Wyddr »

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: 1500 Orks Vs Vostroyan AM--Blitz
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
Great battle report it was really nice to read, even if I do not play any of those army.

Just my personnalités feeling, because I like seeing minis on the board I would love to see some pictures of the game.

Looking forward to your next batrep^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »
Great battle report it was really nice to read, even if I do not play any of those army.

Just my personnalités feeling, because I like seeing minis on the board I would love to see some pictures of the game.

Click the hyperlinks. Lots of pictures there (I don't post them in the rep b/c they're way too big).

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2018, 01:56:24 AM »
I may be missing something obvious, but don't you lose the benefit of your regimental doctrine by mixing Vostroyans and Tempestus Scions in the same detachment?
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2018, 03:04:55 AM »
I may be missing something obvious, but don't you lose the benefit of your regimental doctrine by mixing Vostroyans and Tempestus Scions in the same detachment?

He said they played non beta rules, and if I'm not mistaken band of Brothers is out in the beta rules, + this is a campaign so the rules are slightly different are they not?

Click the hyperlinks. Lots of pictures there (I don't post them in the rep b/c they're way too big).

Ah my fear of hyperlink on the phone strikes again, thanks, great impérial army from what I see in the pictures.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2018, 06:04:46 AM »

Scions are specifically exempted from that restriction under the doctrine rules.

Edit: upon reading the rule again, it seems as though there are no such restrictions for anybody--you can (currently) mix and match regiments at will! This means my scions would benefit from the Storm Troopers doctrine, which I hadn't been applying.

Also: this suddenly makes me a bit opposed to Band of Brothers, since, with it, any inclusion of flyers, ogryns, ratlings, psykers, or scions means you get no bonuses. That makes many of those units literally untake-able, as they have no regiments of their own to belong to (scions excepted).
« Last Edit: May 3, 2018, 06:34:49 AM by Wyddr »

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #6 on: May 3, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
Also: this suddenly makes me a bit opposed to Band of Brothers, since, with it, any inclusion of flyers, ogryns, ratlings, psykers, or scions means you get no bonuses. That makes many of those units literally untake-able, as they have no regiments of their own to belong to (scions excepted).

They all share the Astra Militarum keyword so you're still Battleforged. 

Aeronautica Imperialis, Militarum Auxilla,  Officio Prefectus,  Scholastica Psykana, and Militarum Tempestus are all exempt from interfering with the Regimental Doctrine so I think you'd be good on that front.

But I think you were right on the way you originally played the list, the Militarum Tempestus units wouldn't remove the benefits of being Vostroyan but wouldn't gain their own Storm Troopers benefit unless that was your regimental keyword.

Anyway, great written battle report even if it was a bit of a blowout.

Reading your narrative campaigns has inspired our little gaming group to try one of our own.  Currently 0 and 3 against the Astra Militarum but we're having fun along the way.
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »
They all share the Astra Militarum keyword so you're still Battleforged.

Does Band of Brothers just require Battleforged? That wouldn't really solve any of the Imperial Soup issues they're trying to fix though, would it?

Aeronautica Imperialis, Militarum Auxilla,  Officio Prefectus,  Scholastica Psykana, and Militarum Tempestus are all exempt from interfering with the Regimental Doctrine so I think you'd be good on that front.

See, this is what I originally thought, but then I went back to the rules and couldn't find where it said that, specifically. Was that just in the Index or something?

But I think you were right on the way you originally played the list, the Militarum Tempestus units wouldn't remove the benefits of being Vostroyan but wouldn't gain their own Storm Troopers benefit unless that was your regimental keyword.

This is what I always assumed was happening, but in my brief glance over of the rules this morning, it looks like I might be wrong. Will have to double-check this more thoroughly...

Anyway, great written battle report even if it was a bit of a blowout.

Reading your narrative campaigns has inspired our little gaming group to try one of our own.  Currently 0 and 3 against the Astra Militarum but we're having fun along the way.

Thanks! After years of experimenting with campaign formats that never took off, this one seems to work. Each time you win a 3-game arc, you gain "initiative" and can dictate the strategic objective for the next arc. We've also occasional done one-off games that can shift the initiative (so, like, you keep losing and get beat down, then you challenge your opponent to a new game based on some clever plan of yours and, if you win, *you* get to pick the next strategic objective).

Anyway, it's mostly informal and lots of fun. Glad you're enjoying it!

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2018, 11:49:21 AM »
Another fun game and a great Orkish "win" as we died fighting and hopefully learned from the previous warboss' mistakes.  ;)

As Wyddr said, I'm stuck in a "Jump a ton of Boyz" mindset and it isn't effective against the Guard.  I think I would have been better off with two large groups of shoota boyz at the front line.  They probably could have weathered a turn of shooting.  The warbuggies probably should have started in reserve and came on later as outriders instead of at the front.  I really need to sit down and see what synergizes well for my army.

While the grenade launchers performed poorly in this game, I will just say I have a fond place in my heart for them in almost any media.  I loved them in Terminator 2 and it is my heavy weapon of choice in Grand Theft Auto Online.  I just love the "fwoop" sound they make when they get fired.  :)

I'm also having fun with the campaign arcs.  Although I didn't know about the occasional one-off games that can shift the initiative.  Not that it's come up yet but it's good to know it's there.

Thanks again for the fun game and the great write up, Wyddr.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: May 3, 2018, 03:20:54 PM »
Re: Regimental Doctrines and Scions

Found the page number for the rule reference, for those who are curious: Pg132 of the AM Codex.

Many thanks to you guys for making me think I was crazy.  ;)

While the grenade launchers performed poorly in this game, I will just say I have a fond place in my heart for them in almost any media.  I loved them in Terminator 2 and it is my heavy weapon of choice in Grand Theft Auto Online.  I just love the "fwoop" sound they make when they get fired.  :)

I also think they're cool and the Vostroyan models particularly so. But man, they just suck too much for what I'm paying. If they cost like Sniper Rifles, then I wouldn't complain.

I'm also having fun with the campaign arcs.  Although I didn't know about the occasional one-off games that can shift the initiative.  Not that it's come up yet but it's good to know it's there.

Hasn't really come up with you. Did it with Bruce when we played the exhibition--I won the initial matchup, so I got to determine the initiative for the first arc.

If I blow you out in the third game, I've got initative. If you want to pitch a desperate or clever plan kind of thing to pull the initiative back to you, that's totally cool.

Thanks again for the fun game and the great write up, Wyddr.

You're welcome! Cities of Death next (shudder)!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #10 on: May 5, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »
That was brutal for the Orks.  It reminds me of all my losses from way back in Rogue Trader and second edition when my Ork army was routinely wiped out by just about every opposing army that it ever faced.  The amount of command points at your disposal to use during that bombardment was scary.

I think that you were owed a good roll of the dice to be honest.  You've had soma awful rolling against the Orks in earlier games and your Daemons have had a particularly poor run, so far as the dice are concerned, so it was bound to go in your favour sooner rather than later.  The amount of damage that you did early on was telling in this game, but it was not the decisive factor for me.  In my view, the Orks didn't attack fast enough or hard enough.  Had they gone for an all out attack earlier, it would have at least forced you to commit more of your force and to respond to an assault.  As it was, you had everything under control pretty much throughout.

This was another very enjoyable report to read and I'm looking forward to the next stage of the campaign :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 11:30:59 AM »
Awesome battle report as always, Wyddr.  It's fun to see the Imperial war machine grind across the table. The orks really seem to struggle against the long range firepower of the AM. Can you add a second Weirdboy to double your jumps, Roboknee? Wyddr's a vet in denying deep strike opportunities, but if you could shoot some holes in his lines then maybe you could jump some boyz in to engage the tanks and delay shooting to give your anti tank units time to do more damage. Is there a stratagem to allow tanks to fall back and still shoot? If so, the idea's probably a lot less valid.

Looking forward to getting a game in with you guys.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
Since we're using Matched Play rules, you can only use any given psychic power once per turn (with Smite as the only exception).

My tanks don't have anything that lets them shoot after falling back, though. They're hard to get to, however--too much stuff in the way.

Yeah, the Guard is pretty damned nasty in this edition. I've been struggling myself to develop a strategy against them. Basically, you need to be fast and have access to long range mobile shooting. Various Eldar seem like the most obvious foils.