News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,000 Points Orks vs. Ad Mechs: Spoils of War  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
1,000 Points Orks vs. Ad Mechs: Spoils of War
« on: April 14, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »
500 Point Orks vs. Ad Mech, Behind Enemy Lines

This is the third battle of an escalation campaign put together by Wyddr for myself and Uncle Tungten.  You can read more about the campaign here.

Ad Mech Forces
Tech Priest Dominus w/ Eradication Ray and Omnissian Axe (Warlord)
Tech Priest Enginseer w/ Laspistol, Omnissian Axe and Servo Arm.

5 Skitarri Rangers w/ 4 Galvanic Rifles & 1 Transuranic Arquebus
5 Skitarri Rangers w/ 3 Galvanic Rifles & 2 Arc Rifles
10 Skitarri Vanguard w/ 8 Radiation Carbines & 2 Plasma Calivers
10 Skitarri Vanguard w/ Radiation Carbines

5 Sicarian Infiltrators w/ Taser Goads and Flechette Blasters

Sydonian Dragoon w/ Taser Lance

2 Kastelan Robots w/ 3 Heavy Phosphor Blasters ea.
Onager Dunecrawler w/ Icarus Array

Orks Forces
Warboss w/ Power Klaw, Sluggaa & Attack Squig (Warlord w/ Tenacious Survivor)

Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

11 Shoota Boys w/ Boss Nob w/ Power Klaw
30 Shoota Boys w/ Boss Nob w/ Power Klaw
20 Grots w/ Grot Blastas

12 Tankbustas w/ Rokkit Launchers

2 Trukks w/ Big Shootas

4 Kustom Mega Kannons

Mission
Since the Orks won the last battle, the Ad Mech must move the artifacts they have found back to their base in a hurried, unorganized manner.

Scenario: Spoils of War
Deployment: Vanguard Strike

Deployment
Ork Deployment

Ad Mech Deployment

Uncle Tungsten wins the roll off to start placing the Tactical objectives (6 blue rimmed piles of gear made by my opponent).  I try to place my objectives in areas that I can hold with my Kannons and would make Uncle Tungsten come toward me if he wants to claim them.  I try to deploy aggressively so my trukks can move up the field and my kannons can provide cover fire much of the board.  My grots end up being just space filler to prevent infiltrators from deep striking into the middle of my deployment zone.  After finishing deployment Uncle Tungsten has forces near objective 1 and I have forces on objective 3 and 4.  I finish deploying first and Uncle Tungsten fails to seize the initiative.

Top of Turn 1
I draw my objectives, Domination, Secure Objective 6 and Defend Objective 3.  One of my Kannons is on Objective 3 so I just have to survive one round of firing.  I basically move my trukks up the board, keeping my tankbustas behind cover.  In the shooting phase my tankbustas and 2 kannons manage to kill the Dragoon for first blood.  Another kannon takes 2 wounds off a Kastelon Robot.  Some potshots also kill 2 rangers.

Score: Orks 1 to Ad Mech 0

Image Blurry due to rumble of engines and blasts from kannons

The Skitarri view

Bottom of Turn 1
Uncle Tungsten draws Secure Objective 1 and Defend Objectives 2 & 3.  That's one sure VP at the end of the turn.  During movement the Ad Mech spread out to insulate against Da Jump.  The wounded rangers pull back and the Infiltrators show up to threaten my grots and 2 kannons.  In the shooting phase the Infiltrators make mushroom soup out of the gretchin, the only unit within range of their guns.  His other units strip a wound or two off of a trukk and a kannon but not much else.

Score: Orks 1 to Ad Mech 1

Infiltrators doing their thing.

Top of Turn 2
No new cards to draw so I use my movement phase to advance my Boyz trukk up the board and move the tankbustas up behind it, stopping near objective 6 to claim that VP.  In the psychic phase I jump the shoota boyz out by objective 3 to threaten the Ad Mech defensive bubble.  Uncle Tungsten uses a stratagem to shoot his vanguard like it was the shooting phase at my boyz and I only lose 5.

Then the fun starts for me.  In the shooting phase my boyz knock out half his vanguard.  The kannons take out 2 infiltrators and knocja hit point off a kastelon robot.  The tankbustas dakka, dakka, dakka up and get 10 hits on the dunecrawler, which makes 7 saves.  One more failed save and it would have died.  I manage to make my charge and take out his vanguard but can't quite consolidate into more of his units.  Those Ad Mech are pretty kunning.  At the end of the turn I score 1 VP for securing objective 6 and 2 VP for defending objective 3.

Score: Orks 4 to Ad Mech 1

Wierdboy says "Da Jump," and Da Boyz say "WAAAGH!"

No more vanguard.

Bottom of Turn 2
Uncle Tungsten draws a new card, gain a VP when you destroy a vehicle.  Now things really start happening.  The Ad Mech make minor positioning moves in the movement phase to better take advantage during the shooting phase.  They also heal the Dunecrawler back up to 7 wounds, practically negating what the tankbustas did to it.

In the shooting phase the infiltrators do some damage to the closest Kannon.  The kastelon robots pour fire into the Boyz, wiping out all but 6 of them.  The Dunecrawler and the remaining rangers and infiltrators destroy 1 trukk (gaining a VP) and all but 1 wound off the tankbustas trukk (thanks to one good ramshackle rule).

In the fight phase the Infiltrators charge a Kannon and the Dunecrawler and Enginseer charge the surviving Boyz.  The Infiltrators lose 2 infiltrators to lucky overwatch shots.  The remaining infiltrator destroys the kannon and consolidates into the other kannon.  I use 2 of my CP to interrupt and fight with my Boyz, consolidating them into the Kastelon Robots.  That fight produces no casualties and I use 2 more CP to pass the Boyz morale test.

Score: Orks 4 to Ad Mech 2

End of Ork Turn 2

Da Boss is out in the open
Grots about to charge next turn?

Unfortunately the store had to close and we could not continue the battle.  They offered to let us leave our armies there and return the next day but neither I or Uncle Tungsten could do that.  Since this was a campaign battle we weren't exactly sure what to do but figured we should just call it the end of the game.

Final Score
Orks 4
Ad Mech 2

Campaing Score
Orks 3
Ad Mech 0

Post Mortem
First, we got off to a later start than we hoped, I got tied up at work and arrived late.  We also realized that we spent to much time picking terrain and deploying, something we both need to work on.

If we were able to continue, I think I was in a good place.  One group of boyz had tied up his heavy units.  The War boss and the other boyz would have moved against a group his rangers and his remaining vanguard, possibly tying them up too.  The tankbustas would have been denied vehicle targets but were still at full strength.

That said, the Tankbustas with the Dakka, Dakka, Dakka stratagem are just awesome.  It's like Orks can actually shoot.  The kannons were very versatile again. Not much more to say since the game was cut short.

All in all, it was another fun game despite having to cut it short.  Uncle Tungsten continues to make a worthy opponent and I look forward to our next battle.  Thanks for reading and thanks again to my opponent.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: 1,000 Points Orks vs. Ad Mechs: Spoils of War
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 06:09:16 PM »
It hurts when you run out of time and have to call a game but at least the two of you were on the same page rather than "NO, I WOULD HAVE WON!" antics. As you said, speeding up the front end of a game is vital to make sure there's time for the back end. It all comes down to logistics and necessary slip time for when amphetamine parrot happens making someone late.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
So, if I'm remembering properly, that means the Orks win that campaign arc 3-0--a stunning greenskin victory! The Techpriests seriously underestimated their opponent!

Orks now have the initiative. Let me know what your strategic goals will be for the next arc against the AdMech, and I'll get you another set of scenarios.

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:33:51 AM »
Good game, Roboknee! It would have been interesting to see how things played out. Adeptus forces are currently retro engineering that kannon they acquired to see how the damn thing works.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:41:35 AM »
Let's hold off on the heresy till at least a Monday morning...
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:58:08 AM »
Let's hold off on the heresy till at least a Monday morning...

These *are* a bunch of crazy tech-heretics. That's why the Iron Hands are hunting them.

In fact, Uncle Tungsten is getting it from every direction lately. They're gonna need a new strategy!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:38:07 AM »
Thanks for the battle report Roboknee. Excellent job on the win.

I know that you were using the grots to prevent infiltration, which is a sneaky grot thing to do, but they more or less allowed your opponent to infiltrate next to them, so only really pushed them back a movement turn. I am actually a huge fan of using grots, especially since they can be that much needed cheap  third troop choice for a brigade and all those tasty command points. Have you thought about using them more aggressively and jumping them into your opponents backfield turn 1? They provide a great distraction and getting off a round of blastas before they become cannon fodder is well worth the points, especially if you are holding off jumping in your boys until a later turn. Area denial is good to prevent deep strikers, but unless you can provide 100% coverage to stop them, it's not always worth the effort.

Great game Roboknee, you are turning into an excellent greenskin General!

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »
Heresy? What heresy? There's no heresy here. 

Every battle is a learning experience, so the Orthos expedition welcomes all comers. Every battle, won or lost, is a learning experience and a chance to gather MOAR DATA.

Reinforcementa will be enlisted. House Taranis is known for having some seasoned veterans of greenskin encounters...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:59:55 PM by Uncle Tungsten »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »
Heresy? What heresy? There's no heresy here. 

Every battle is a learning experience, so the Orthos expedition welcomes all comers. Every battle, won or lost, is a learning experience and a chance to gather MOAR DATA.

Reinforcementa will be enlisted. House Taranis is known for having some seasoned veterans of greenskin encounters...

You guys are going to be in SO MUCH TROUBLE when the Fabricator General catches up with you.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »
Thanks Dog.  It was my first time really using Grots, so I've got some work to do to figure out how use them properly.  I have thought about Jumping them as a distraction too but haven't had the chance yet.  Yet.  :)

Uncle Tungsten, Da Orks have some respoect for the Ad Mech.  They approve of lootin' tech.  Just not their tech, they looted it fair and square.

Wyddr, I need a little time to think about the goals for the next ark.  I may wait until after our next match to see how the Orks stand against the Guard in that arc.  I think it may be sending out a Big Mek and a Painboy to take apart some Ad Mech to see how those funky servo arms work.  In the mean time, Uncle Tungsten and I are going to play a friendly game so I can bring out Francis and the Killa Kanz.