News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Start Collecting sets soon to be discontinued or revamped?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Those nice 40k start collecting sets.  When i ordered some new stuff I tried to order a scion set as well they said they were out of stock and it was unknown when they would be back in stock.  I know the formations that came in them are the outdated by the release of 8th edition but some of those sets were a good deal and great for starting an army.

Does anyone know if they are discontinued or are getting revamped?   They have been out of stock online for weeks even on GW's website and with some of the sets like scions going crazy on ebay makes me wonder.   I so wish they had a genestealer cult start collecting as well.  Granted Overkill gives you a decent array of troops but it would be nice to include some modeling options and definately something to save some money on those overpriced goliaths of theirs.   All the Genestealer cult stuff is so expensive but now seeing the Reivers for space marines at $60 for 10 they need to put out some options. 

With their whole advertising revamp and not being allowed for resales to advertise price discounts over 15% off It already seems like GW is cutting the competition but the higher pricing and lack of discounts really makes it a premium game.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 40k Start Collecting sets soon to be discontinued or revamped?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
Funny you mention this. I recently placed an order with The warstore.com  for three of the Scions get started kits. The rest of my group's order shipped but these were placed on back order. After sending them an email the owner said he is going to check with GW on Monday (they order stock twice a week). He's concerned that they will be discontinued.

The Scions set was quite a good value, even at GW's MSRP.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 06:42:30 PM »
I suspect a number of the start collecting boxes will get a revamp as the change in edition has made some of them kind of meh. I don't see them changing the discounting though, the online "cheap" rules sets are all about getting new players in. The other big boxsets are not discounted at all, so I don't get why they do them.

Keep in mind that GW is pushing the new marines hard at the moment, so they will be "cheap" as they are a new army that GW wants to be on the tables and expect to see them getting some solid rules to back them up.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 07:23:13 PM »
The Scion box is out of stock, as scions are really good now and everyone bought them up. Same thing happens every codex and edition change when rules change. I think Razorbacks are also sold out in a bunch of places too.

The getting started boxes are not going anywhere, besides expanding to cover more factions. They are great sellers for gw!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 08:12:31 PM »
The Scion box is out of stock, as scions are really good now and everyone bought them up. Same thing happens every codex and edition change when rules change. I think Razorbacks are also sold out in a bunch of places too.

The getting started boxes are not going anywhere, besides expanding to cover more factions. They are great sellers for gw!

Go figure. I play them when they're not popular. Then when I need to get more models to fill out the army, they're super popular.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
Yeah, they are super good right now. I wish I waited a couple months longer before I sold mine, I probably could have made more money off them  lol.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:23:29 PM »
It's reboxing mainly. I've seen the new Skitarii and Dark Eldar Start Collecting boxes; less white! They fit into the rest of the 40K box aesthetic now.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »
It's reboxing mainly. I've seen the new Skitarii and Dark Eldar Start Collecting boxes; less white! They fit into the rest of the 40K box aesthetic now.

Any clue as to when they will be available again? it has been awhile now I know that longer then usual for stuff when it goes out of stock.  It is closer to what happens when they discontinue it.

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: August 1, 2017, 02:48:27 AM »
Soon? lol :D

Shouldn't be too long now. Apparently 8th ed. has drained a lot of stock, so they're rushing to get new artwork completed for the reboxing.
The only reason I see the Scions box getting discontinued is if they are rolled back into the AM codex fully and don't have a book of their own.
Would be silly though, as it's a good selling box!

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2017, 08:06:36 AM »

Any clue as to when they will be available again? it has been awhile now I know that longer then usual for stuff when it goes out of stock.  It is closer to what happens when they discontinue it.

You can on the gw website get email notifications when products are back in stock. I've used that a lot.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »
Also, clicking 'email me' on items pushes it up the priority list. So always do it if they don't have what you want.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 09:54:18 PM »
It seems the Scions start collecting box, and the combo that came with the index are now listed as "No longer available online". It doesn't say "temporarily out of stock" as it did before.

I think this box is done. They were briefly back in a stock.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 04:16:59 AM »
It's the "online" part of me that has me thinking - is it still available but only in stores?

I mean obviously any store that has stock remaining will have it if it has gone the way of the dodo but I'm talking about something like the opposite of Webstore Exclusive to increase footfall in meatspace

Or could it just be a rebranding of the boxes as mentioned above as the Astra Militarum AND Eldar boxes are in the same state
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »
It's the "online" part of me that has me thinking - is it still available but only in stores?

Some stores might still have stock, but they wont be able to restock until they get more in.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 04:59:37 AM »
As Killersquid says, plenty of stores will still have stock of these, but won't get more as they sell out. Eventually, they'll get the new packaging.
There's nothing being done as a "store exclusive" except store anniversary or re-opening products.