News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vehicles vs Combat/consolidating 8th edition  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Vehicles vs Combat/consolidating 8th edition
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
Has anyone else become so completely frustrated (and quickly) with how vehicles and assault/consolidation works now?

Many times in my LGS now we have had lone token characters or garbage units simply consolidating into vehicles and you can't do anything about it (aside from better positioning which isn't always plausible).

This is particularly annoying for short ranged, non-fly type vehicles like a triple flamer Baal predator. If I disengage I can't shoot. Staying in combat is worthless as well.

I understand reasons of "game balance" in a lot of situations, but It makes no sense to me that a vehicle would get bogged down in a combat or pulled into a combat through consolidation. It's one thing if it's totally surrounded. But a lone model? I can't tilt my guns down and shoot what's right next to me? A mobile gun platform can't back up and shoot? This ability shouldn't be relegated to only vehicles with the fly type. It just seems completely illogical and silly.

/end frustrated rant.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Vehicles vs Combat/consolidating 8th edition
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
As an Ork player, I've really enjoyed using in pile-in/consolidate to touch razorbacks etc so they can't shoot next turn when assaulting an enemy near them. One opponent I played against used some cheaper models to screen for some shooty vehicles he had, spaced far enough ahead of them that I couldn't kill the screening unit then consolidate into the vehicle with my Boyz. Screening would probably be less possible for faster vehicles, but it seemed to work okay for what it did.

In some sense this idea of infantry support for vehicles is cool, but I'm worried that we'll just have every Space Marines player just spend 60 points on a pile of conscripts or something and call it a (somewhat unfluffy) day.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
I can see where you're coming from, but it's just something you'll need to plan for in games.

Keep in mind consolidation has to be towards the nearest enemy model, so just keep that in mind with positioning.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 07:03:09 PM »
I can see where you're coming from, but it's just something you'll need to plan for in games.

Keep in mind consolidation has to be towards the nearest enemy model, so just keep that in mind with positioning.

+1 to this.

It seems super annoying now, but this is certainly something that yoi can adapt to and work around.

It also works the opposite way: driving cheap transport into combat with gigantic horde units and have them get stuck wasting turns trying to wick individual wounds off a single tank.