News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dann's Doggies Vs Blood Angels  (Read 879 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Dann's Doggies Vs Blood Angels
« on: July 9, 2017, 05:28:56 AM »
G'day Forumites!
Finally! My first wargame for Months and months. It was supposed to be just a test game using the models on each side from the Dark Imperium box set, with my Primaris Marines painted up as Space Wolves. Unfortunately, my Doggies were ambushed by some Blessed Blood Angels.

I didn't really take note of all the intricate details. As I said it was SUPPOSED to be a test game. So I'll just give you the units and not worry about points and who had what.

Primasis Wolves:

Captain
Primaris Lieutenant
Primaris Lieutenant
Primaris Ancient
5 Grey Hunter Intercessors
5 Grey Hunter Intercessors
5 5 Long Fang Hellblasters
3 Blood Claw Inceptors

Blood Angels:

Psycher in Terminator Armour
5 Devastators
5 Scouts
5 Jump Assault
5 Jump Death Company
1 Death Company Dreadnought

Deployment:
The Doggies set-up in a blob to test the abilities of the characters.
                       5 Grey hunters screening the front
                       5 Long Fang
                       4 characters
                       5 Grey Hunters screening the rear, (That just doesn't sound right)

3 Blood Claws in reserve

The blood angels set-up all to their left flank.
Psycker Termi in a creator
5 Devastators
5 Scouts in a creator
DCo Dread

5 Jump Assault
5 Jump DCo in reserves

SW T1: The blob moved forward 5 " for the front GH's and the LF units to be in range of the Psycher. The BC's deep struck riiiiight in the corner of the BA's deployment zone.

The Gh's and LF took tho wounds off the Psycker. The blood claws wiped out the Devastators.
Only the BC's were in range to charge but were too busy celebrating the devastation of the Devastators to make the distance and took 1 wound to overwatch... Doh!

BA T1: All the BA's moved forward 5" bar the Scouts who were scoping out the Bc's. The DCo and Assault Jump units deep struck. The DCo to the left flank of the Doggy characters, behind cover, and the Assault Marines to the right flank of the rear GH's.

The psycher's Smite and some other blessed shooty power took two LF's off the table. The Assault Squad took 1 wound from the GH's.
The Scout Squad, (with a Missile Launcher), wiped out the BC's.
The Assault squad charged the GH's, killing 1. The DCo were fighting the blood rage too much to make the charge toward the Doggies.

Crikey Moses; this is a lot of typing.
Long story short, the engaged GH's disengaged the Assault squad and they died from a truckload of bolter/plasma fire.
The Blood Angels took offense to this and proceeded to route the Doggies entirely by turn 5.

Summary:
The firepower from the Inceptor Squad/Blood Claws is un-blessed-real. If placed more strategically they could do a lot more damage than they did.

The 4 primaris characters with all their wounds and abilities is a massive tar pit. They alone held up the Death company for 3 turns. Only killed 1 DCo but hey, what are ya gonna do? The very last character to fall was 1 of the Lt's whom we all called, "Lieutenant Dan"!! Forest Gump tribute.

The Hellblaster Squad/Long Fangs, on overcharge, and their Captain granting them re-rolls of 1's is a dangerous, sturdy unit. They took a lot of firepower and still took 4 rounds to wipe them out.

All in all the primaris Marines are tough as all get out. Most of their damage came from psychic powers. With no psycher themselves, they had no chance of blocking/retaliating. If There was any strategy behind today, they would have put up a better fight. As it was, by just placing themselves in front of the enemy to see how they went, It still took the complete 5 rounds, (and a lot of swearing from their opponent), to route them.

Had a blast!
Thanks for clicking in fellas... Be well!
« Last Edit: July 9, 2017, 05:34:33 AM by Saim-dann »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Dann's Doggies Vs Blood Angels
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
Hey Dann. Great report bud. Really intesting to see some intel on the Primaris Marines because I've not heard too, too much about them across the 40k sites I frequent. They do seem pretty freaking resilient which I actually like.

Crikey Moses; this is a lot of typing.

lol... this made me laugh! I hear you bud I spend 2+ hours typing up my bat-reps. Such a grind... but its nice to have a chronicle of your games so you can go back and sort of remember what worked and what didn't in your games.

Anyway thanks buddy. Always cool to see how my battle-bros are doing. Keep rocking!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Dann's Doggies Vs Blood Angels
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:09 AM »
Hey, Cavalier!
Thanks, mate, for the encouragement. Although the game wasn't the one we planned it was still a hoot. Crikey Moses, Cav, it's been so long since I've had a game he could have brought a Titan and I still would have had fun.

Yes; the 2 wounds with power armour is frustrating for the opponent. That combined with the range of the bolters was exciting, and those assault bolters! 18 s/5 bolts at 18''... and that's just with three! You have GOT to try these. Have another box of them to assemble.

The tables will turn next game though. We've arranged a 1500ptr soon, and Trent thinks he's facing the Doggies again. He hasn't been introduced to the Hornet triplets... Yet!

Thanks for clicking in, mate. It was getting a little echoey in here... Be well!