News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Campaign tips?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
40k Campaign tips?
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:52:02 AM »
I'm thinking about starting a campaign, anyone got any tips for running them?

So rough sketch so far

Easy for people to get in to, so 500-1000 points. Games to be played at the lowest point value of hat the opponent can bring, so some newbies can join in.

To try and keep things balanced, No LoW, no named characters, no mass Hordes/cheap unit spam.

First match played at 250-500 points, all the armies start on the board in random locations (determined by scatter dice), all fluff allegiances out the window, each army must make its way to either a random point on the other side of the map (to meet back up with the rest of their forces) or try and hold an objective on the map so their force can come and get them.

I'm thinking this would be more of an infantry only game.

Future rounds will be at 1k for the rest of this arm of the campaign, with possible extension to 1.5K for the longer term players who face off against each other.

If all goes well a flow on campaign, to be run with a high point and less restrictions. I'm thinking may of letting those who are starting a new army to join forces so they can keep playing and see what its like at higher points.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: 40k Campaign tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »
Running a campaign with my brother now, I can say that power levels have actually pretty good - makes it much easier to make lists and advance - we started with 30 pl, then 40, then 50 etc...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 01:07:01 AM »
G'day Magenb!
Having the entire map laid out with Epic models on another table can put a different spin on the campaign. Assuming the battles aren't on the same field of course.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »
My LGS has always run a map based campaign using the Settlers of Catan board.  The roads would take the place of armies, and you would have to build (or capture) towns and cities on specific tiles to get certain resources to keep building.  It's a great system to use for having a large campaign, which had 20+ people in some instances.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »
Thanks guys, keep the info coming I'm starting from scratch.

How often do the campaign battles take place, once/twice a month or do you run it every weekend for a month and then take a break?

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 01:26:58 AM »
Hi Magenb!
We've never had a set thing. If we feel like campaigning the next time we meet up, we do. If we don't, we done't. With the speed of 8th ed and the size of your games, mate, I think you'll have several stages of the campaign played in one day.

Just to continue with the separate table of Epic mentioned earlier. This particular game isn't a campaign so to speak, however, it's a blessed hoot.
You set up the 40K table as a ruin city. Both sides have 500/1000 pts of foot troop only.
The Epic table has a 14"by 9" area in the centre also set up as a ruin city.

The goal for the Epic players is to reach the city and deploy as many units into it as possible to support the 40K game, as well as stopping their opponent from doing the same.
As each unit makes it to the city in the Epic game, the equivalent unit is deployed on the 40K table from the same area of entry that it arrived from the Epic game.

It truly is a fun game that can be turned into a campaign if you wish. Thanks for reading... Be well! 

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 07:35:43 AM »
I definitely recommend a small series of games to start. I think 3 games is ideal, 5 the maximum if you are tight with your gaming crew. My biggest piece of advice is only invite people to the campaign that you know, like and trust.

I've tried to run 3 campaigns that ended in dismal failure due to nasty behavior between the players. I wasn't involved in any of it, but it was old beefs and bad attitudes being brought in by the various dummies I foolishly let into the campaign.

Be strict with who you let in and don't be too ambitious with the amount of games. Trust me!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:28:43 AM »
I definitely recommend a small series of games to start. I think 3 games is ideal, 5 the maximum if you are tight with your gaming crew. My biggest piece of advice is only invite people to the campaign that you know, like and trust.

I've tried to run 3 campaigns that ended in dismal failure due to nasty behavior between the players. I wasn't involved in any of it, but it was old beefs and bad attitudes being brought in by the various dummies I foolishly let into the campaign.

Be strict with who you let in and don't be too ambitious with the amount of games. Trust me!

100% this!

The biggest campaign killer, by far, is non-participation or rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?s ruining the whole thing. I've tried to start so many campaigns over the years and they've pretty much all failed because my gaming group bailed before we were nearly started. Very frustrating.

Keep it simple, keep it easy to participate, and make it short. That's my advice.