Been making lists today with the new book. My first thoughts are as follows:
1) Holy amphetamine parrot, somebody doesn't want to see Riptides on the table again! There is absolutely NO WAY their firepower justifies their cost. None. It's seriously beslubbering ridiculous.
2) Likewise: who did Crisis Suits kick in the shins? 100 points for a single Deathrain suit? Screw you guys. Missile Pods are just *not* that good. At all. Try comparing them with the cost of autocannons in pretty much any other army and you'll cry real tears.
3) Broadside, ALSO wildly too expensive for what they do. At least their guns are good, so you can give them that at least.
4) Markerlights are pretty lame now. I can see taking Pathfinders for the Rail Rifles, but otherwise...meh. (also: rail rifles = stupid expensive)
5) Vespid just got legitimately good. Too bad the models are still butt ugly.
6) Strike Teams/Breacher Teams are exactly as good as they always were, which is something. They got a trifle cheaper, too.
7) I like that the Ethereal and Cadre Fireblade traded jobs. It never made sense that the dude in pajamas would be riding to the front lines with the boys.
8 ) Hammerheads are approximately the same cost as they were back in 4th/5th edition, and Railguns are about as good as they've always been against tanks, but now the submunition is mostly worthless. Too bad the tanks can't move and shoot the main gun without penalty.
9) The real winner here? Drones! Cheapo firepower, can protect your other units, nice and fast.
10) Sun Shark is a pretty good bomber now.
Overall this edition is an ENORMOUS kick in the teeth to most of the Tau battlesuits (well, Stealths are pretty much the same). They are way, waaaay too expensive for their stats or weapons. In general most of the special weapons available to Tau are too pricey for their stats, especially when compared to Imperial armies.
Not necessarily going to shelve them for this edition, but I've got to say they don't look terribly enticing. It reminds me very much of 5th Edition, which was a pretty dark time for the Tau.