News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: We are getting a new edition.  (Read 7406 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
We are getting a new edition.
« on: May 5, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
A sneak peak from this weeks up and coming White Dwarf confirmed it.  There's two big chances I can tell you about:

The FOC is becoming an optional bonus rather than a compulsory effect.  Adhering to it gives you bonuses, but you can also chose to throw it out the window and spam tanks if you wish.

Also, there will be a new Physic phase.  We're going all WFB.

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
Re: We are getting a new edition.
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »
I hope this is a lie I feel as in I just bought 6th Ed yesterday and got my book for that edition then this.  GW is becoming worse then colleges for books as they constantly change them to make more money.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
Rogue Trader (1987) -> Six years -> Second Edition (1993) -> Five years -> Third Edition (1998) -> Six years -> Fourth Edition (2004) -> Four years -> Fifth Edition (2008) -> Four years -> Sixth Edition (2012) -> Two years -> 2014

The pace has been slowly accelerating but I'm hoping we're not going to jump ahead after only two years.

GW is becoming worse then colleges for books as they constantly change them to make more money.

It wasn't so long ago the complaints were GW was taking too long to update the different books. There's no real happy medium.

Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »
It sounds (and I know these are all rumours at the moment) that this is more a slight shift to clean up 6th. Edition 6.5 if you will. Mainly to sort out the crap like battle brothers that just leads to uber squads running up and down the field all day long with no real concerns.

There is also a rumour out there that the Dark Vengeance set is being withdrawn, to be possibly replaced by Astra Militarum Vs Eldar, per Natfka:

More Black Box Sightings: Eldar vs Astra Militarum - Faeit 212: Warhammer 40k

As the link says though, the AM/Eldar Black Box may well be something else unexpected. If it is indeed a new starter set, I'm going to cross several fingers and toes for some updated Jetbikes for the Eldar...although I'm more likely to tie myself in knots than for that to actually come true  ;)

WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
This does mean one thing for me though...6th ed is the first ed after my discovery of 40k that I never got a game in.  But I do hope this is just a slight tweaking of it, not a complete overhaul.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: May 5, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »
From the WD this looks to be major surgery rather than a band aid. Throw backs to 2nd Ed and WFB. Also coming very soon .

@ Tangi - I skipped 5th so I know what you mean. All things do pass in time.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #6 on: May 5, 2014, 08:30:27 PM »
Whaaaa?

Okay, this looks pretty ridiculous. Tossing out the FOC is a TERRIBLE idea. The bonuses for keeping it better be pretty damned good. I do not look forward to absurd spam lists packing every single tournament.

The psychic phase? That was pretty awful in 2nd Ed. It works for Fantasy, but that's because of the nature of the game (fantasy = magic). I don't want to get stuck in a spot where psychics are a necessity to play, which their own phase would seem to indicate.

Are they going to have to re-release all those codecies they've pumped out in the past two years? That's absurd.

Praying this is some elaborate prank.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: May 5, 2014, 08:52:29 PM »
Okay, this looks pretty ridiculous. Tossing out the FOC is a TERRIBLE idea. The bonuses for keeping it better be pretty damned good. I do not look forward to absurd spam lists packing every single tournament.
If it isn't that big of a deal, I can see some tournaments stating in their rules that every army must conform to the FOC.  Then again, they could go all willy nilly and just let what ever happen.

We'll have to see what the bonus is.  Getting to decide to go first or second perhaps?

The psychic phase? That was pretty awful in 2nd Ed. It works for Fantasy, but that's because of the nature of the game (fantasy = magic). I don't want to get stuck in a spot where psychics are a necessity to play, which their own phase would seem to indicate.
Having a specific phase for psychic powers doesn't bother me as it gets rid of the issue of "which phase do I use this power in," and brings it down to one section where everything is done.  What I am not a fan of is if it is being treated as the magic phase in fantasy where you don't roll psychic tests but roll to cast spells.

Are they going to have to re-release all those codecies they've pumped out in the past two years? That's absurd.
I highly doubt the changes to the game will be so drastic that the newer codices will need to be redone.  I'm even banking on the fact that they won't need an FAQ to make them compatible with the new edition.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2014, 02:11:05 AM »
I, for one, am cautiously optimistic. I hope that the Maelstrom of War stuff does introduce more dynamism into the game for pickups. I am not so keen on importing the magic phase into 40k myself, but that could just be personal laziness.

WAAC players will always be WAAC players and looking for the "uber" netlists, so no real change there.

I suspect that if both players are using battle-forged lists, then it will play more like 6.5e. Unbound, more like mini-Apoc. And the more I consider it, the more okay I am with that.

At least we know why no FAQs now!
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »
@ Rummy

True.  I just regret not getting around to playing one game.  Also annoyingly, now I have to buy a new book.  >:(

I heard a little bit more about psychic powers too.  It seems to be, you generate them by rolling a dice and adding the combined mastery level of all your psykers.  And perils of the wrap is a big deal now...full demonic possession, tears in reality, earth shattering stuff etc.

It just might be in the case of guard, that Pysker squads can maybe act as generators for Primaris pyskers now, which is kind of cool, and how I always wanted them to act.

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »
Yea not sure how I feel about needed physkers as until as of recent I was okay with just not using them but now they seem vitally to important.

We shall see what happens I do hope they wait another 2  years before I shell out 160$ CDN for the special release stuff.  The again maybe I will just buy normal ed if they release after 2 years.

Like from 4th to 5th I was excited for game play changes enjoyed 5th for a good long wile then heard about 6th and got excited.  This just does not seem to be the case 2 years is not enough for some one to want a revamp of some game mechanics.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
I feel like they should have waited until more codexes had been updated.  Don't get me wrong, this new ed will probably be great.  I just think it's two years two soon.

I hope warlord traits stay.  I've come to like them.

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2014, 10:53:12 PM »
The tidbit that interests me the most is the objective card deck. From what i read, basically every turn, (game or player im unsure) cards are drawn that will change the flow of the game. meant to simulate changes in battlefield conditions, and the ebb and flow of a battle, its also hinted that VPs will be calculated and accumulated on a turn by turn basis, to help stop the last turn objective grab snatching victory/forcing draw we see A LOT of lately.

Another 2 disciplines for powers in the main book, and possibility of another warlord table,

Ive also heard that consolidation into units from combat, and assault from reserve are back, (mainly because of overwatch, apparently altering the BS of overwatch shots if you come from reserve or another combat)

Overall I am excited, 6th has been my favorite edition so far, (i started at end of 3rd) and with the changes proposed (especially the objective cards and such, changing the flow of battle means a massive game changer and makes you really think about what you should do as the game progresses) the Physker phase is good, (ive forgotten when to cast what so many times) and i think they will play out the same as now, just dedicated time to cast any powers, (i think with the threats mentioned for using to many, we may see a drop in power spam actually)

Its early, but its needed. with the ramp up of codex drop, and battle brothers becoming such an OP thing, i say bring it! change is as good as a holiday, hopefully this brings a fresh breath to the game!
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 10:21:17 PM »
From today's white dwarf:

There's going to be a fifth physic discipline.  Demonology.  Two guesses as to what that's going to be.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:22:27 PM by Land Rover Tangi »

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 05:16:48 AM »
Well, we know at least one effect from the description in the article of the battle with the dark angels and tyranids, where  Ezekiel died in the process of casting an ability which summoned a bloodthirster.

"No-one expects the Imperial Inquisition - our chief weapins are surprise, fear, ruthless efficiency and this greater daemon of khorne I just pulled out of my ass....."
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 06:47:04 PM »
Well, we have a few more tidbits to add to the salt pile:

7 Edition Rumors: Sweeping Changes - Faeit 212: Warhammer 40k News and Rumors

If true, I like the way that unbound/battle forged will work. I figured that I would continue to run similar lists to 6th, and thus be battle forged...although not as potentially potent as an unbound list, in anything that contains objectives, you're at a huge advantage.

Also, it looks as though crossing fingers and toes didn't work...the AM/Eldar box seems to be something else. The new starter set will be as originally predicted, Blood Angels Vs Orks:

7h Edition Starter Set Contents - Faeit 212: Warhammer 40k News and Rumors

Sounds like a good number of minis, and if they're up to the standard of DV (Which I fully expect), I think I will be getting a set for my mini Ork force.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
I'm probably in the minority but for me the best part of the rumours is the news that the Codex will be available without the fluff getting in the way of the rules. I've been wanting this for a long time I just hope they don't increase the price of the other versions and keep the non-fluff version at £30.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
NEW! Warhammer 40,000: New army organisation options - YouTube

I haven't played 40K in quite some time as I have been focusing on my other game systems. I hope this new edition can rekindle my desire to play again....otherwise I have 2 HUGE fully painted armies that will hit the market soon.

I am interested to see how they are actually going to do the psychic phase.....I'm not a big fan of how it is done in Fantasy...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:29:13 PM by Lazarus »
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 07:34:16 AM »
40K: Jervis Talks 7th Edition New Missions | Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures

Via BOLS
- 6 New Maelstrom of War missions:

Cleanse and Control
Contact Lost
Tactical Escalation
The Spoils of War
Cloak and Shadows
Deadlock

- These new missions use Tactical Objectives
- Both players draw Tactical Objectives.
- Upon completing a Tactical Objective, you immediately gain the victory points and draw a replacement one.
- 12 default missions in the main rulebook, but more coming in other publications.

A d66 table for the tactical mission objectives, I hope i am not alone in thinking this is the best bit so far about 7th! the depth to every game it could add...... excited!
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
I'm pleased to hear that you keep the tactical objectives card until you complete it, rather than having them tossed at you every turn (which would be silly).

An interesting side effect of this might be an adverse effect on list construction. Depending on how the tactical objectives are framed, we may very well see these things start to drive army lists further to the extremes rather than a balanced list. If the enemy can only draw 2-3 tactical objectives that apply to your Sentinel-spam army, and tactical objectives are very valuable to winning games, we can reasonably expect to see more and more such extreme army builds. Could be good or bad, really.