News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codex: Inquisition First Impression  (Read 4810 times)

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
Codex: Inquisition First Impression
« on: November 15, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »
Oh, wow. GW kinda went off the deep end with this one, I think.

Fluff:
Still working through this.

Army-wide weirdness:
This army has its own unique Force Org chart. Get used to explaining it to your opponent.
You can take an Inquisitorial detachment in one of three ways, primary (elites become scoring in this case), secondary, or tertiary.
Tertiary means you can take them in addition to everything else. So yes, SM + IG + =I= is legit. They have their own Allies matrix.

You can choose to use your Inquisitorial HQ as your Warlord instead of your primary detachment.

Warlord traits:
One trait table for each of the big three Ordo. Of note is the lack of Fear (which is good, as Fear is 90% useless normally). All three have an Orbital Bombardment one-shot as a Trait.
Trait #s 1, 2, 3 are identical across all three branches. They're all generally useful, although #2 is slightly less useful if you and your opponent don't play with mysterious terrain (why you wouldn't is beyond me, it's part of the core game rules).

4+ is where they start diverging. All 3 get some sort of Preferred Enemy. Xenos is the most generally applicable.
5 - gives some related buff. This is a wasted slot for Malleus if your oppoent fields no Daemons and Hereticus if you opponent fields no Psykers.
6 - Also okay. Malleus gets a useful buff if he's a Psyker and something occasionally useful if he's not. Xenos gets something that's useful, but you probably already had sources of it in the army anyway.

All in all, I'd say they're roughly equal, but Xenos probably gives the widest range of useful entries on the table.

Relics:
3 here.
The Liber Heresius is somewhat useful, giving special rules (each rule once per game).

Grimoire of True Names
A nerfbat to Daemons, but only if the character is in a challenge.

Tome of Vethric
Gives a special rule based on what codexes your opponent are playing with. One rule given for each detachment. Useless if your opponent is playing with only human factions or Daemons.

There's really only 2 choices for units: Henchmen Warbands and Inquisitors.

Inquisitors:
Coteaz is here, looks like a copy/paste from C:GK. Has a fixed Warlord trait. Same with Karamazov. He's still an auto-include for competitive play for all the usual reason, although not in a Primary detachment.
Karamazov's Warlord trait is kinda meh, but he gets one of the other ones as a special rule, with a bonus.

All three Inquisitors can take some specialty wargear, looks mostly C/P'd from GK. They can take static psychic powers or roll on one of three tables, same as in the GK FAQ. Hammerhand (known locally as the pimp's prayer) is still around. They all start with carapace and can buy up from there (Malleus gets Terminator armor, ho ho ho).

Warbands:
These are your only other choice in the 'dex. Good that you can do pretty much anything with them.
Acolytes are your general-purpose combat models. They're cheap and somewhat upgradable. Since they can take power armor, feel free to use those Sisters models! IG Stormtrooper models would also be legal options for the most part.

Inquisition got the Adepta Sororitas Priests as part of their warband. Pretty awesome.
Arco-flags/Crusaders/DCAs are almost certainly a copy/paste from GK (points and all), which irritates me. Adepta Sororitas Ecclesiarchial warbands have cheaper Arco-flags but explicitly power swords, while it's back to generic "power weapons" for Inquisition. Argh.
Mystics/Psykers/Jokaeros are here too. Fixed power on the Psykers.

Dedicated Transports:
Oh, wow. Valkyries, Razorbacks, Chimeras, Rhinos, and all of the Land Raiders! All of the options you'd expect are here, with the option of being able to take mind bullets for the Chimera. You can't take stubbers on the Chimera, though. Psyflame options are available for the Razorback and Land Raider Redeemer.

Truesilver armor is lol if your oppoent brought CC Psykers/Daemons.

All in all, looks like a rip from GK with extra fluff. Being able to take Valkyries is hilarious, along with Psybolt Chimeras.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
Re: Codex: Inquisition First Impression
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:20:41 AM »
I think its a real boon for fluffy interesting armies and narrative games but its very easy to just add in the broken units and mix IC's from three different codexs to create super units with stupid rules combinations.

We'll be seeing an awful lot of coteaz in tournaments.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
I am looking forward to an ordo xenos with rad grenades, psych out grenades, and psycho tropic grenades with a unit if assault terminators in a stormraven. the lightning classes will absolutely shred anything in power armor. still unsure if taking lever one psyker with hammerhand or divination is worth it.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:44 AM »
Remember that even battle brothers can't jump in each others vehicles so only ground based deathstars are viable.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »
Hmmmm... I had forgotten about that. The ordo malleus inquisitor can the terminator about suo deep striking shennanigans can be had. I think we will be seeing some dirty cheap inquisitors with divination. Hide him in back out of LOS and cast prescience on your rear ranged units while using servo skulls to keep scouts at bay.

I know they could have done more with the codex but I am happy it is out there for me to use. I would be happier if I could find some inquisitor transfers but I am still happy to try out some news model ideas and add some interesting combos to my space marines.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
Update for Codex: Inquisition available now.

Download link (Actually your BL account download page).

They  claim there's a change related to vehicle psybolt ammo, but I can't find it (at least without resorting to unpack/diff).
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
I know in the armoury they listed it as effecting around a Hasidic dozen weapons but if you clicked on it (ipad version) it only listed three. Considering the heavy biker wasn't on there it made it a silly upgrade.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Iyandenseer

• High Seer of Yggdrasil, Steward of Valhalla
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
It is likely that the listing involves psyflame being listed instead of psybolt in one of the vehicle entries.

This book is currently illegal at my local store's tournaments.. It was thrown out with escalation, stronghold assault, and pretty much everything forge world.. which is sad, because we were finally allowing such things until Games Workshop opened the flood gates.

Personally I like this book a lot and am currently trying to make it legal with the restriction that it must be the ally/secondary detachment without any of that tertiary detachment nonsense.

I will be taking Coteaz along with three base acolyte squads in psy-las-backs behind an aegis with Coteaz attached to some centurions. Meanwhile my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor can now scout/outflank along with my Raven Guard Veterans giving them prescience, an extra sword arm and a host of special rules and intense grenades. What's not to love?
Those who do not cling to the physical forms adored by the monkeigh will find that through intense mental concentration and meditation through the death experience shall find themselves once more treading upon the plane of this world. Slaanesh no longer has any claim if you have not flesh for her to grab ahold of. Join us and you shall know no death, only an eternity of war.
-Emissary of Yggdrasil to the survivors of craftworld Iyanden

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
I for the most part like this codex too.  My only problem is, I think they missed a trick by not including assassins.  But what they do have is for the most part very good indeed.