News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: would a chaos marine wear a studded shoulderpad?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline lucivious

• our lives are sick and INDK
would a chaos marine wear a studded shoulderpad?
« on: July 2, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »
So hello, I am starting to build my Nurgle Lord on a bike and have a quick question regarding the proper shoulder pad to use. 

The bit I have for the right arm is the old raptor champion arm, so it has a shoulder pad already.  the Nurgle pad included in the CSM box is (sorta) supposed to be for the right shoulder, since there is a horn sticking out of it. Maybe it wouldn't really make much difference, but im trying to look into something else.

I see some heresy era studded pads on the internet, would it be fluffy for a Chaos Marine Lord to have these, or is it typically Loyalist?

Also, he is Death Guard, and I'm using the FW torso and helmet.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to throw shoulder pads into my order =/
What i most can’t the least is do not a bad job and always a good.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: would a chaos marine wear a studded shoulderpad?
« Reply #1 on: July 2, 2013, 09:02:55 PM »
There really is no wrong way to model your models, it is all up to what you think looks cool. Studded shoulder pads are common in Mark V and Mark VI power armour designs both which were common during the Horus Heresy and on both sides of the conflict, it is generally not incorporated into the two newer designs which are mostly only used by loyalists (except as spare parts among traitors ;)) so there is really no risk of anyone calling it unfluffy or Imperial-looking if that is what you are worried about.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #2 on: July 3, 2013, 05:06:55 AM »
What you also need to bare in mind is that the Traitor legions will routinely scavenge replacement parts from defeated loyalists on the battlefield to repair their own damaged armour as they lack the comprehensive logistical support of the Imperial war machine. So while the newer marks of armour will be largely unavailable, almost any individual piece might show up.

Offline lucivious

• our lives are sick and INDK
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »
well, one quick search of "pre-heresy death guard" on google answered my question. thanks!
What i most can’t the least is do not a bad job and always a good.

Offline Field Marshall Duke Umarth Morte

• I love the smell of roasting Bugs in the morning!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard and Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »
Short answer is yes it would be fluffy. Long answer: During the HH and just before it was typical for the LEFT shoulder pad to be studded. This was due to the extra armour on that shoulder pad as it was the one showing to the enemy when firing a bolter two handed.............
What is the terror of death? That we die with our work incomplete. What is the joy of life? To die knowing our task is complete!!

We are the future the 21st century
Dyslexic, glue sniffing cyber sluts
With homicidal minds and handguns