News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Road to Warmasters 2013 - Iron Warriors  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Disciple of Nagash: GT

• Neophyte | Iron Skull recipient
  • Mike Mudd 2011 Sportsman Award recipient :)
The Road to Warmasters 2013 - Iron Warriors
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »
So, with a little over a month to go this year, it's time to start planning (and actually following through with the plan) on next year's tournaments. The big one around here for me has always been Warmasters (yearly tournament in Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario, Canada). I've always enjoyed going every year, this coming one will be my 4th. The first day of the tournament is a double's tournament of 1000 points each player, where the second day is the single's one of 1850 (the one I will be focusing on building up for here).

Normally, I just end up running some sort of iteration of my Templars, changing the army year to year, but mostly building upon what was already existing, so this year, I'm going to start nice and early and build a new army from the ground up. With ranged combat being the newest way to go, and vehicles seeing a decline lately, and with the new codex that was released, I've decided that it would be fun to finally build the Chaos army I've always wanted to build, Iron Warriors.

The list itself that I'm going with is kind of bland overall (multiples of the same unit mostly), but I think it will be fun to build and play as ranged combat is something my Templars have never been able to do (the way I built them anyways, the fluffy way). I wanted to stick mostly to power armoured marines and tanks, and less with, I guess for a better term, the new toys (the fiends, hell drake, that sort of thing), keeping the Iron Warriors to doing what they do best, siege warfare. However, this is very limiting, as Iron Warriors don't make particular use of cult troops, I was going to vary the army by adding in traitor Imperial Guard with a battery of basilisks for good measure (that and I have a bunch of assembled, unpainted guard and basilisks around that are screaming to be used...).

Anyways, here's the list I was planning on using:

HQ
Warpsmith
Company Command Squad - Autocannon

Troops
10 Marines - Heavy Bolter
Veteran Guardsman Squad - Autocannon
Veteran Guardsman Squad - Autocannon

Heavy Support
Vindicator
Vindicator
Land Raider
Squad of 3 Basilisks

Fortification
Aegis Defense Line - Quad Cannon

I will be picking up the guard from my buddy's place hopefully tonight and will start painting up a test model to see how it looks (hopefully badass...). Pics to come soon with updates :)
Reset my counters in prep for 6th:
Black Templars: 0/0/0
Dark Eldar (new codex): 0/0/0

Re: The Road to Warmasters 2013 - Iron Warriors
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »
Meant to do this a couple of days ago... anyways:

Thoughts for the test model for the Imperial Guard guys. Maybe I need to do another couple or something, just real real quick work for the sake of getting some colours down.

Also, went to the US today to pick up my Chaos Marines stuff. Nice box, already got the Aegis Defense line together. Just letting the glue dry and will start scraping off the Imperial symbols some time soon. Also assembled a marine. Woo.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
I would suggest widening the stripes at bit on the chevrons, I think it would look much better.

I think the list looks a little on the weak side, I do not know if this is intended or not but if it isn't it looks like you will have a hard time winning any games, you might be able to draw but without any faster moving troops beyond the one choice in the land raider and no real punch beyond the basilisks (which often enough might end up overkilling) it feels like you will struggle quite a lot. I would suggest going for something different on your Chaos Space Marines squads when it comes to weapons (heavy bolters aren't exactly impressive) and possibly add a few rhinos and/or chimeras to the Veterans, you do field a bit of armour so saturating that further can only help. Try out the Brand of Skaraband on the Warpsmith too, it is a real nice fit for some double flamer action or some ranged anti-meq fire given that he still gets plenty of attacks from his tentacles.

Anyway, hope it helps and that you have a good time at the tournament! :)

« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2012, 08:33:22 PM »
Models are all together, painted up one Iron Warrior (quickly, without much detail) just to get the colours down pat. Seems pretty easy to paint though I'm not happy with my silver on them.

Anyways, finalized the list mostly:

HQ
Warpsmith
Veterans of the Long War

Company Command Squad
Auto-Cannon

Troops
Chaos Space Marines
5 Extra Marines
9 Close Combat Weapons
Veterans of the Long War
Flamer
Heavy Bolter

Chaos Space Marines
5 Extra Marines
9 Close Combat Weapons
Veterans of the Long War
Flamer
Heavy Bolter

Chaos Space Marines
5 Extra Marines
9 Close Combat Weapons
Veterans of the Long War
Flamer
Heavy Bolter

Veteran Squad
Auto-Cannon

Veteran Squad
Auto-Cannon

Heavy Support
Vindicator
Siege Shield

Vindicator
Siege Shield

Land Raider

3 Basilisks

Fortification
Aegis Defense Line
Quad-gun

Total: 1848

Anyways, I figure the punch power comes from the lascannons on the land raider, the basilisks and the vindicators. The marines are there mostly for infantry clean up and to slowly walk up the board to where they need to be depending on the objectives. I don't have to claim them all, just have to get more than my opponent. It's also based off the metagame here in my area. Seen a real big decrease in vehicles other than walkers (and eldar ones too), and infantry seems to be brought up a bunch.

Army shot

Single model test

Gonna play my first game with them today, see how things go. Hopefully well :p Not sure what I'm playing against, but will post up some time in the next couple of days how things go.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2012, 11:05:24 AM by Disciple of Nagash: GT »

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
Had played my first game with them the other day. I lost 4-3 due to first blood... he got first turn but unfortunately the inaccuracy of the basilisks decided they didn't want to hit a squad that was flying up the battlefield and scatter 12" away to hit a land raider 3 times... My other units also left a different squad with only 1 model left which fled the board but took 2 turns to do so.
Anyways, what I learned:
The Aegis Defense line is awesome! Quad Gun is awesome! Blasted apart most of his units and watching so many models have to make cover saves from 1 basilisk barrage was great (even though it was cultists in a building that were taking the blasts).
With my Templars, I'm used to Vindicators moving up the battlefield as quickly as possible to blast away, though I feel this isn't the case with a shooting army, as they need something else to draw some fire away from themselves and flying up the table by themselves is not going to do it. I lost 1 in the battle and the other was immobilized point off in a direction where there was nothing any longer (it already blasted it). Stick behind the wall until the time is right and even then maybe stay there. A few more games and I'll get the hang of them I guess.
Moving up units quicker was a big one. Turn 4 I started to run a unit up the side of the board to capture Line Breaker but it was a little late at that time. I forgot that it was just Cultists holding the objective and my unit of Marines could have easily bested them in combat but it didn't matter cause I never got there. Maybe moving turn 3 at the latest?
I've got a game later today against Nids and have no idea what to do other than blast away... He's going to be using 7 monstrous creatures (2 flying tyrants, 3 tervigons and 2 trygons).

EDIT:
Vindicator 1 WIP
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:07:22 PM by Disciple of Nagash: GT »