News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: When was the Eldar Craftworld of Biel-tan given the name “swordwind”  (Read 576 times)

Offline Permeus

• You won’t see me coming!
I ask this because I have just watched and episode of Babylon 5 and the mimbary (I think that’s how it spelled) had a cast of warriors called “The Wind Sword” this episode would have been made about 1991-1995 I think and that would be about second edition.

And I thought GW has stolen something else  ::)

The episode was season 1 episode 9 deathwalker

CWR :)

Offline magikot of alaitoc

• Infinity Circuit
  • The lovable li'l pagan
I think Biel-Tann translates to "Sword Wind" from Eldar to the Common tongue used by the Imperium. I don't really know if there is a relation but that's my guess.
"Your reality, Sir, is nothing but lies and baulderdash! And it pleases me to announce that I have no grasp of it what-so-ever!" ~ Baron Munchausen, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Offline Eressëanèr

• +++ I see lead people. +++
I believe Biel-Tan translates to "Rebirth of Ancient Days", as in their struggle to restore the fallen Eldar empire. IIRC, this is in the C:CWE.

"Our path is dangerous but necessary."

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
'Biel-Tan' means 'rebirth of ancient days'. The Eldar word for 'swordwind' is 'bahzhakhain'. Note the inclusion of 'khain' in that word, a reference to Eldar mythological cycles.

I ask this because I have just watched and episode of Babylon 5 and the mimbary (I think that’s how it spelled) had a cast of warriors called “The Wind Sword” this episode would have been made about 1991-1995 I think and that would be about second edition.

The episode you speak of was first aired on April 20, 1994. The 2nd edition Eldar codex was published in 1994, but 2nd edition material on Eldar was published in 1993 as well. Sadly I can find no direct reference to the swordwind in any of the sources I have at hand.

The earliest reference to Biel-Tan I find in WD136, published in 1991, which confirms beyond doubt that Biel-Tan predates Babylon 5. Of course, it was actually a painting guide in WD136, so I'm guessing that Biel-Tan existed before that. In any case, the Craftworld is older than B5. Let's see now, Aspect Warriors first appeared in WD127, again years before B5 ever came to air... all the elements of the swordwind were there, I just can't seem to find the name.

Gah! I can't prove that it's not stolen, but I will say that I don't think it is. The idea of the swordwind was around long before this, and really, it's not such an original name.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Although

Aren't "The Wind Sword" and "The Swordwind" quite different in meaning though?

BLOOD RUNS, ANGER RISES, DEATH WAKES, WAR CALLS!