News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: World Eaters Warband or Maelstrom of Gore? Also an army list  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
World Eaters Warband or Maelstrom of Gore? Also an army list
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
Hey gang! So as some of you may know... I've been fooling around with having a "bad-guy" faction for campaigns at home and also for the purpose of having some variety in games with my brother so its not just IG and Eldar beating each others brains in for all time. To that end I've firmly decided on going with a Chaos army... and more to the point World Eaters.

So I'm definitley going to run the Khorne Decurion. The movement shenanigans are fantastic! But my question to all of you is what do you think is a better Core Choice... Chaos Warband with all its objective secured and broad variety of units... or the Maelstrom of Gore with its FANTASTIC movement enhancement, insane mini-combat phase in which your opponents cannot strike back?

There seems to be a strong case that with the new World Eaters chapter tactics, a standard Chaos Space Marine is almost as good as a Berserker, cheaper and with better options.

I'm very much in the camp of going with Berserkers... the incredible ability to get across the field is pretty much unparalleled especially when paired with the Talisman of Burning Blood they have a potential 32" movement turn 1!

So here's the list I was thinking

-Core Choice-
Maelstrom of Gore:

Kharn
10x Berserkers
10x Berserkers
6x Berserkers
6x Berserkers

-Auxillary-

Helforged Warpack:
Mauler Fiend (Alpha)
Mauler Fiend
Forge Fiend
Warp Smith

CSM: World Eaters CAD

Lord- Talisman of Burning Blood
10x Chaos Space Marines
10x Cultists
Helldrake

This list has incredible speed... Kharn and the Lord will be together sharing the benefits of the Talisman of Burning Blood... The Berserkers obviously intended towards annihilating infantry and light vehicles in combat. The Maulerfiends are there for dedicated anti-armor and anti-knight. The Forgefiend is there for some obligatory fire support along side the Heldrakes and CSM's. While the cowering Cultitsts are there for holding an objective in the backfield and getting ignored.

I also need to tinker around with the points and toss around some upgrades and whatnot but you get the drift.

What do you guys think? I know my Eldar would definitely be worried facing a list like this... fast assault is just so deadly in this edition as so many people are just used to long distance fire-fights and seldom used getting to grips CC. 

So thoughts on the Warband vs Maelstrom of Gore and the effectiveness of my list would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! Can't wait to see what you think
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
Re: World Eaters Warband or Maelstrom of Gore? Also an army list
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:43:36 AM »
The Warband definitely. The bonuses granted to World Eaters are redundant for Berzerkers, and the Maelstrom's main draw is mostly mimicked by one of the main bonuses for the Butcherhorde in the first place! If the World Eaters main bonus was instead, say, Rampage, and the Butcherhorde had, say, run&charge as its bonus instead then I could see a case to taking the Maelstrom but why pay for what you get for free?

Personally, I think it's bad game design due to all the innate Skornergy, but the Warband is going to overshadow the Maelstrom in pretty much any army you build as a result.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:46:29 AM by MagicJuggler »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 10:02:56 AM »
Warband for sure. Objective secured is amazing. I'd love to stick a lord on jugger with the brining blood with spawn, or KDK bloodcrushers for possible turn 1 charges.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:56:32 AM »
@Magic Juggler- Hmmm fascinating response! You don't think the extra charge distance + fleet from the Maelstrom of Gore makes it worth it? If I'm going for World Eaters and I want those CSM getting into combat, I want to stack as many bonuses as I can... and that Maelstrom of Gore does so much for that. Plus Red Raid really grants some very nice buffs if you are gonna do a multi-charge across a broad line... While expensive I feel like I can still round out a decent all comers army, particularly with the Maulerfiends and Helldrake presence.

I definitely feel that the Warband is VERY good, but I still like the incredibly reliable movement buffs that the Maelstrom offers. It may be just my experience with Striking Scorpions thats making me drool over the possibilities offered by the Maelstrom of Gore.

I think it'll be more challenging, less well-rounded but still viable... but at the same time I think it'd be good to have a Warband build to alternate between...

If you could let me know what you think about the Maelstrom's movement buff + fleet... plus stacked on top of the first turn World Eaters move and perhaps the Talisman of Blood.... do you find it tempting? Anyway thanks Juggler great stuff as always!

@Killersquid- Hey KS I know people love Objective Secured... is it because you play Maelstrom/ITC? I only do so rarely so its a little bit of a wash and I've recently fallen in love with the Eldar Warhost and haven't been regretted the loss of it.... yet  ;D

I also think the 1st Turn charge is definitely a possibility with a Lord with Talisman of Burning Blood in a Maelstrom of Gore unit... So much guaranteed movement especially with fleet!

To me its a bit of a coin-toss between the two... Warband is more well-rounded, a bit safer to run... while Maelstrom of Gore is notably riskier due the focus on Berserkers but is a significantly more reliable in terms of executing those turn 1/turn 2 charges which seems all important for a World Eaters army. I guess this speaks to why I like the Eldar Warhost... especially with my focus on my Scorpions.

@Everybody- Very interesting feedback. I think I'll definitely have a Warband variant list if I find the Maelstrom based list a bit too one-dimensional... but I do have high hopes. It'll be fun to experiment at the very least. Thanks guys definitely food for thought!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 09:43:04 AM »
I play all sorts of missions. Objective secured is always a game changer for me. Not always nessissary, but if the only thing I get is four+ units of berserkers, it's not worth it.

Also, the warband offers more variety in units. Chaos space Marines in the warband, are basically cheap berserkers anyway. You'll also have access to bikes and havocs, which are way better in the warband.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 10:55:52 AM »
@Cavalier: The Warband gets Bikes and Raptors, which are faster all the time and not just on the charge. The Butcherhorde basically negates the point of taking a Maelstrom.

Red Rain is also fairly weak due to the restrictions on its use. You need to be in a fight for either 3 rounds, or your foe must have charged you without killing you. So...denial versus the odd Reaver rush that whiffs?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »
Hmmmm you guys really have me thinking now. I went and compared points between the Bikes, Raptors and Berserkers and its VERY close all round.

Started thinking about making Bikers and Raptors with Berserker Heads and visually I think it'd look really cool.

Made a Warband List and its very similar to what I want with the Maelstrom but with CSM (which are already painted) objective holders a Lord on a Juggernaut and 3x6 Bikers... very nice. Would be a great counter-point to my Dark Angels which I'm working on.... Still gotta think though.

Anyway great points by both you guys, your feedback and ideas are very much appreciated! Thanks!