News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New space elves coming from raging heroes.  (Read 1405 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New space elves coming from raging heroes.
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:23:42 PM »
I don't like the armour design as much as GW space elves, but wow they know how to strike a pose:)
Their tanks look somewhat more like the Eldar Pegasus.
What I really want it the terrain :)

https://youtu.be/3Xir66kk4B4

If you have a 3d printer you can subscribe in Nov and get access to all this goodness for much less than buying it from the store later on.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: New space elves coming from raging heroes.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 10:02:57 PM »
Holy crap, those poses are *fantastic*!

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 11:03:04 PM »
Holy mothe... I'm going to stop there.

And decent STLs to work with in terms of subsequent modeling.

*throws money at the screen*

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »
I've never come across this company before and I have no desire to get involved in 3D printing, however, I will say that they look rather impressive.  I would also add that the similarity is so stark that I will be amazed if they are able to get away with it.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 01:32:43 PM »
I've never come across this company before and I have no desire to get involved in 3D printing, however, I will say that they look rather impressive.  I would also add that the similarity is so stark that I will be amazed if they are able to get away with it.
It's the joys of third party miniatures.  They're close enough to be easily identifiable, but enough differences to not violate copyright.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
A lot of these sort of things are being shut down these days, GW is (with reason), actively pursuing cease and desist letters against folks who are directly appropriating GW's IP without permission.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 06:07:53 PM »
A lot of these sort of things are being shut down these days, GW is (with reason), actively pursuing cease and desist letters against folks who are directly appropriating GW's IP without permission.

Raging Heroes has been around for a long time doing physical model sales, a bunch of them make great proxies, but there was no confusing those models, well maybe their space nuns series lol. Since they started their 3d printing options they have been walking a very fine line, if you play AoS, there are a tone of great options in that line up, and well they have a bunch of models I just want to paint any way, but my pile o shame is big enough ;) But yeah this is the closest I've seen them push that line. My guess is they are big enough now to pay for legal advise on how far they can push it. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Artel W was told to stop producing the models of characters from Dawn of War and ended up just releasing the STL files for free. The rest of their range are basically all proxies for various 40k armies and GW didn't stop them producing those. So there seems to be a way to walk the line. Their warp spiders, Rangers and scorpions proxies are all excellent, I'm a bit meh about their Firedragons and I don't like their reapers, but its all personal taste.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 06:13:40 PM by magenb »

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 11:37:25 PM »
Speaking as someone that is coming back and doesn't want to spend an arm-and-a-leg ($300 already for a depressingly small number of minis), I wonder about what the fandom thinks about proxies. Not official games, just kids playing in the basement or garage...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 11:15:59 PM »
Speaking as someone that is coming back and doesn't want to spend an arm-and-a-leg ($300 already for a depressingly small number of minis), I wonder about what the fandom thinks about proxies. Not official games, just kids playing in the basement or garage...

Tournament frown on it. Most stores obviously are not overly happy about it, we use them at our local non-GW store, but we also buy all our hobby stuff and other games from them (Marvel champions is a lot of fun, 2-4 players, its not like pokemon or magic, card packs are not random), don't do it in a GW owned store lol. Playing at home, as long as you can tell what it is meant to be and it is roughly the same size, it should be all good, its really up to the people you play with. Back in the day, coke cans and tissue boxes were used ;)

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2021, 10:28:10 PM »
Back in the day, coke cans and tissue boxes were used ;)
I was one of those kidz. The last time that I played the wargame was pre-WD 141 (but after WD 127). Heh.

I see this as a "kids having fun" situation first and foremost. After that, if they get into the hobby, it would then be a "kids doing cool digital conversions".

Basically, if I can get my son to be able to think in the digital space (or even the physical space) to find creative solutions for his imagination? I think that I'm on a winner. :D

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #10 on: November 3, 2021, 08:29:20 AM »
I've never managed to get into the hobby on a practical level (not in a decade, oof), but back when I was digging around I came across a tabletop wargame that used Lego figures. Honestly really clever.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: November 3, 2021, 06:17:14 PM »
I've just received the figure package and they're looking sweet on first blush.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2021, 07:26:52 AM »
Printed my ladies and the undercoat is drying. So far their supports are decent, I only found a few unsupported islands (grab uvtools, its fantastic at finding them). Currently printing the first part of the landing pad, I think this will be the hardest thing to print as the sheer size will be prone to warping. I get why they did a vertical support on this as something that flat on the wrong angle will look like it was printed on an fdm.

After cleaning drop them in hot water, then remove the supports they come off cleaner. I don't like how they don't use an angled raft, it just makes it easier to get the things off. OnePagerules does the same thing.

so if you are trying to compare the renders, here's a printed one.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: November 5, 2021, 08:02:15 PM »
Sweeeet!

I'm still waiting for my resin printer to ship, so crossing fingers on this front.

On my own behalf, I imported the STL into Blender and started having some fun with digital sculpting.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2021, 09:57:03 PM »
Sweeeet!

I'm still waiting for my resin printer to ship, so crossing fingers on this front.

On my own behalf, I imported the STL into Blender and started having some fun with digital sculpting.

Yeah I'm trying to work out how to change the shape of the symbol on Astrur's robe (if you find an easy way to do this, pleeeeease let me know). I want to replace all the icons hanging from belts etc with my own craftworld symbol. I would also like to end up replacing the gun barrels on the bikes, sniper and vehicles, they are just to much of the same thing and too blocky for eldar. Even our dark kin like curves :)

Sooo... here is stuff I wish I knew befor eI started, would have saved me a bunch of resin FEP, time and a bunch of grey hairs ;)
Resin temp matters. It cause me some serious problems as air temps can vary wildly down here. I made a very cheap enclosure and had a mini heater with a temp gauge.

Print the rerf file first, not the test file. This will give you a better idea of where to start. It does not accounts for weight, support, temps, etc, so use it as a guide. I tend to over expose a bit, it minimizes failures, but it is trial and error.

Shake the resin bottom before pouring. At night I actually heat up the resin before pouring too, it gets cold in the garage.

Get a screen protector for the LCD screen, it just a matter of time before something goes wrong and it leaks.
Get Plastic razor, these are great for getting mini's off the build plate and if you do get a leak, they are far less likely to damage the LCD screen.
UVtools, is fantastic.

Always angle your print.
If you have a flat surface you want to print without lines, you need to work out the correct angle for your print and layer height -> check this video https://youtu.be/Qs2Rb0ExnIM

Supports, this guys supports do work -> https://youtu.be/KjF54SFaMAQ

you can use methylated spirits, I think its called denatured alcohol in the states, its waaaay cheaper than Iso and most people say it works better. Down here it comes in a clear plastic bottle. When it starts getting cloudy I put it back in the bottle a leave it in the sun for a few days, the resin solidifies some what and you can strain and reuse.

If you use disposable gloves you will go through a tone of them. I use re-usable gloves, you can find chemical resistant gloves at the hardware store, they will not last for ever, but cost wise its better. I still use them when I'm taking the support off, but some people prefer disposables at this stage, so they can feel the nodules.

Remove supports after washing but before curing. Some people say to let it soak in hot water for a few mins before removing the supports, I've found it doesn't make any real difference, but the video's I've seen have much chunkier supports than I use.

Use angled rafts, they are much easier to get off the build plate.

I'm assuming you went with a mono printer. set the number of bottom layers to 4.

The bigger or more you put on the build plate, the more the bottom layers are likely to pull away, these days this is generally solved by increasing the exposure time. Most people say 20-30, but I've found I have not had to mess around with it when leaving it at 50. So I no longer get the print pulling away from the plate.

Temps affect curing, specifically how strong it will be, so cure during the day. While you can build your own, a cure station is worth it, as most home built cure stations don't have timers. It just makes life easier and more consistent.

If you like warhammer fantasy stuff, import a 20 or 25 mm flat base and line up the models on top, you will be able to see if they will touch each other and need to be scaled down, you can also play around and get the right scale size before printing.

Slicing software - Chitubox, solid option, free. Lyche, free with adds, limits functionality, has an add delay. I'm not a fan of subscription services, but technically speaking it has some better options, but none of them are needed. If you got an Anycubic mono, then Photon Workshop, not as good as chitubox, but free.

My process is to slice it, use uvtools to find any missing islands, go back to the slicer tool and add more etc. Uvtools can also add or remove things at a per pixel bases, so really handy at cleaning wayward things up. Since the free version of lychee has a add that makes you wait every time you slice, I don't like using it. If they had a traditional one off option to buy the software I would consider it.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: November 6, 2021, 07:18:23 PM »
Wow. Thanks for the hugely informative post.

Yeah I'm trying to work out how to change the shape of the symbol on Astrur's robe (if you find an easy way to do this, pleeeeease let me know).
I don't know about easy. I'm on my gaming computer at the moment, so I don't have my faux Cintiq attached, but with a little care then even with the mouse it was fairly easy to sculpt (Smooth) away the original rune.

Adding a new run in the same style? Errm... I would have to check up on that. I'm still fairly new to this whole process. :)

On the other hand, replacing other runes seems like it would be a tad on the easier side. It's just the "cloth" deformation on Astrur's rune that gives me pause at the moment.

I made a very cheap enclosure and had a mini heater with a temp gauge.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure where the printing is going to happening because of this. The garage is out because of the huge temperature variation. I was thinking about the basement as the temperature is more stable there but... Well, I'm not quite so sure of safety factors and/or smell.

Get a screen protector for the LCD screen...
Sounds like solid advice to me.

you can use methylated spirits, I think its called denatured alcohol in the states, its waaaay cheaper than Iso and most people say it works better.
I'll look out for it. IPA isn't too expensive, while DA can be so... Yeah. Advice listened to; pocket will make the decision. ;)

I'm assuming you went with a mono printer. set the number of bottom layers to 4.
4K mono, yes.

Slicing software
Will see what software comes with the machine, but I've jotted down the references, especially uvtools.

Post Merge: November  7, 2021, 01:44:24 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Edit: My bad. Thanks for the pointer. Forgot about this one.

For reference I ended up with a Seedmaker Particle S3 through Kickstarter. There's another one coming my way, but that's caught up in IP issues so... Yeah, maybe not coming my way. Oopsie.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2021, 10:50:52 PM by Kage2020 »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: November 7, 2021, 02:31:29 AM »
Yeah, I'm not quite sure where the printing is going to happening because of this. The garage is out because of the huge temperature variation. I was thinking about the basement as the temperature is more stable there but... Well, I'm not quite so sure of safety factors and/or smell.

You can find low odour resins, the plant based stuff is meant to smell less, but I don't have many options down here.
You can get filters to reduce the smell, heaps of options for it. I can smell the resin as I'm walking up to my garage, so it can be rather strong. Make sure you have something it can spill on, it will strip paint...

For adding a new symbol, blender has a shrink wrap function, which should do it for you :)

I'm still trying to find an easy way to remove it, The push/pull sculpting function seems a bit fiddly.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #17 on: November 8, 2021, 10:58:33 PM »
You can find low odour resins, the plant based stuff is meant to smell less, but I don't have many options down here... [good info snipped]
I'll look into it. Perhaps I can tap a more hands-on friend to help with some form of vent system as the basement is really looking like the best place for it for temperature control and, well, just for somewhere to put it. Every other place in the house is jammed either with stuff or with space that may have stuff (like people) in it at some point.

If you can smell it while walking up to the garage, something clearly needs to be done as fumes tend to rise and my basement is accurately named and, unfortunately, not an attic. Dang'nam'it.

For adding a new symbol, blender has a shrink wrap function, which should do it for you :)
That's it!

It's been a while since I used Blender a great deal and I'm just getting back into it. Tip 'o' the hat to you, good sir.

The push/pull sculpting function seems a bit fiddly.
It's not as easy to control as in, say, Mudbox but it's not that I can complain given the price differential. O.o