News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: To the Imperial Fists  (Read 570 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
To the Imperial Fists
« on: April 21, 2024, 10:02:54 PM »
This thread isn't to invoke sympathy, I'm already done with that, merely to illustrate that 40K may sometimes mean more than you think.

Four weeks ago I got an email to call family urgently. Always a good sign. Got in touch and it turned out my older brother had decided to speed run dying first. His liver had failed and he was too ill for a transplant. He was the non-drinker of the family so take what ever message you want from that. So off we go back to the colonies as soon as possible to see him before the died. He'd not told many people how sick he was as my entire family are terrible at communicating and also it's the "not wanting to bother anyone" syndrome.

Just before this I'd picked up an Imperial Fists Intercessor as I just wanted one. Took it with me to put in his hospital room as, you know, the Emperor Protects and all that. When we got to Kiwiland he was still kicking so I handed it over. Turns out the Fists were his favourite chapter so lucky score on that one.  Next day he told me he was keeping it and it was going to be cremated with him when he died. If that's what you want then damn well right we will. And thus it happened. He passed three weeks later, excellent staying power that, and his "yellow guy" as people called it went with him and was part of his ashes that got scattered soon after in what was highly likely to be an unethical and potentially illegal manner by myself. Even better, guests at the hospital kept calling the yellow guy a transformer due to the Bumblebee colouration which vastly annoyed him much to my merriment.

Anyhoo, just a thread to remind you that the littlest things can matter more than you thought and sometimes W40K isn't all as grim dark as it may turn out. Also that entire side of my family mentioned I now have an American accent so the final insult was on me. As fitting.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: To the Imperial Fists
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 10:06:55 PM »
Primarch, Progenitor - For Your Glory and for That of Him on Earth

Sorry to hear of your brother's passing. I've lost a brother myself along the way, so I have some notion of the feeling. My sympathies. Glad you were able to say goodbye, glad you were able to give him something to ease the passing.

As for the American accent, it's your own fault for living among us barbarians for as long as you have.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 06:07:45 AM »
Well, whether you were looking for sympathies or not, you damn well have mine. Sorry for your loss, that is brutal.

Thank you for sharing the story, it moved me a lot. As you say, little things can mean so much.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 03:57:34 PM »
As for the American accent, it's your own fault for living among us barbarians for as long as you have.

The fact it is probably true does not lessen the pain.

Thank you for sharing the story, it moved me a lot. As you say, little things can mean so much.

A Son of Dorn has been returned to the soils of Terra. Or rather the side of a hill in Gisborne but that doesn't sound as appealing in verse.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 05:56:11 PM »
I'm really pleased that you were able to get over there in time and that you were able to give your brother that book.  It's a really sad situation to have found yourself in and I'm very sorry.  It must have been very difficult.

On the US accent, well, yes, this is a real slap in the face :D.  This is why you need to come to Europe.  You'd soon lose that American accent that way ;).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 08:21:30 PM »
On the US accent, well, yes, this is a real slap in the face :D.  This is why you need to come to Europe.  You'd soon lose that American accent that way ;).

Can you imagine the bastardised horror it would become after a few years. Rather than "where are you from?" it'd be "MONSTER!"
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 02:18:29 PM »

Can you imagine the bastardised horror it would become after a few years. Rather than "where are you from?" it'd be "MONSTER!"

Something weird would happen and you'd wind up sounding like you were from Jamaica or something.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 07:47:21 PM »
My Hollywood career would be ruined. Ruined I tell you.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2024, 02:22:21 AM »
So do you pronounce tomato as tomato or as tomato?

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 06:29:10 AM »
Sorry to hear about your brother. That's a wonderful story to remember him by though.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 03:20:32 PM »

How dare. My grandfather was killed by a tomato in the war.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 01:24:35 AM »

How dare. My grandfather was killed by a tomato in the war.
But was that a tomato or a tomato?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 04:54:59 PM »
If you're uncertain it's plain to see how tenuous your loyalty stands.
Drink
Knights Tippler