News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What happened to GorkaMorka? GW history  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
What happened to GorkaMorka? GW history
« on: July 12, 2023, 04:48:25 PM »
GorkaMorka had disappeared just before I started getting into GW at the beginning of 3rd edition. But this is an interesting article about how GW worked at the time to make games, how much finincial damage Gorkamorka did despite its success on the home market and the second part is Grim and Dark in a surprising way. There are interviews with ex GW designers such as Andy Chambers which is peek behind the scenes…

What Happened to… Gorkamorka? Part One: Gorkers and Morkers | Goonhammer

Part 2
What Happened to… Gorkamorka? Part Two: The Hulk | Goonhammer
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Online PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: What happened to GorkaMorka? GW history
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 02:02:22 AM »
Thanks for posting these links. They were a fascinating read. My teenage self discovered the hobby around the same time you did. Not once did I realise what levels of megalomania and toxicity plagued GW at the time, or that there was an internal power struggle between sales and creatives.

Also, thanks for making me feel old. This was a quarter century ago! :o

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: What happened to GorkaMorka? GW history
« Reply #2 on: August 2, 2023, 07:06:20 AM »
You're welcome!

I don't think I was much interested in stock market value back in the day. But despite being a key source of a lot of now essential Ork lore and background I think we're unlikely to ever see a boxed game focused on an alien race again.

Its a shame because it seemed Gorkamorka was popular in its own way, its just the management asked far too much from it.

This blog has a lot of interesting history of GW and the evolution of Warhammer fantasty. Beware its a bit of a rabbit hole!

THE WFRP STORY: INTRODUCTION – AWESOME LIES
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014