News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tzeentche based melee CSM squad?  (Read 691 times)

Offline Sumshine

Tzeentche based melee CSM squad?
« on: November 19, 2021, 02:54:11 PM »
Is it possible for a regular CSM squad to be competent in melee? 

I finally got in my first 9th edition game.  I had a squad of 5 melee CSMs just completely whiff and then die and I'm wondering if they just need to go sit in a box somewhere. I expected them to die, but I also expected at least a couple points of damage out of them.

My opponent hadn't heard of a rule in 9th for getting an extra attack when you charge, so I assume that's not a thing anymore.  I was annoyed by the lack of extra attack from pistol, but I guess being able to shoot it in melee kinda counteracts that, if they were to survive.  (I was charging around a corner so I didn't get to shoot first).

I also forgot that chainswords add an extra attack.  The asp champ had a powersword.

Are these guys supposed to be competent in melee?  What else am I doing wrong?  I was playing with Creations of Bile and I don't think I had any command points at the time, but if those are necessary to attack something in melee that would be good to know.

My target was that weird thing that follows Skorpekh destroyers around and makes them more killy or survivable or something.  I really don't remember any more.  I had killed the squad with a really luck plasma volley and the commander version was next to it, so I was trying to weaken the commander by killing that thing.
"Destroying you is my anti-drug." Zeke, the robot from Ctrl+Alt+Del

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Tzeentche based melee CSM squad?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 11:06:59 AM »
I am honestly not certain if the extra attack thing transferred into 9th edition or not, but it seems as though you forgot an extra attack from your chainswords, which is a big deal, yes?

The main problem right now is that CSMs are living in a kind of rules limbo (I think--impossible to keep track of these days) where they don't have the extra wound the loyalists and Plague Marines and Thousand Sons go, so they just aren't very good anymore overall.

I could be wrong, though--it might be they got updates. Generally, however, basic CSMs are shooting units with some reasonable objective holding potential and they are solidly mediocre at assault.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Tzeentche based melee CSM squad?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 08:17:59 PM »
Chaos Space Marines gain an extra attack from Hateful Assault in the same way that vanilla Space Marines get an attack from Shock Assault.  There was a recent update that changed how Death to the False Emperor works by making it better.  Is it enough to dig them out of the rules deficit they are in now?  Uhhhh, no.  Is it a step in the right direction?  Kind of?

I have an army of Night Lords sitting on my shelf until they receive a new codex.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...