News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,000pnt no orb list, comments please  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: The Ripper Horde, Kroot anything, rarely Necrons
1,000pnt no orb list, comments please
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
ever since i started i've lovied running a bug zapper lord, so i've decided to try a no pob list with 2 full zapper squads, hide the warriors, and go zooming around the field with the lods and retune.

hq:360
- 2x lord, d-body, lightening field, gaze of flame, warscythe

troops: 360
- 2x 10x warriors

fast attack:
- 9x scarabs w/ d-feilds
- 8x scarabs w/ d-feilds

total: 992 

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Re: 1,000pnt no orb list, comments please
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:34 PM »
I usually hide the warriors and rely on other stuff to do the killing, but scarabs - that's tough to do vs every enemy. For fun the list looks like it's a blast; if you want to take that sort of game to random opponents you might need to drop one lightning field team in favor of a wraith team with a lord.

The Orb isn't necessary by any means, and unless you have your Lord joined to the right unit there are ways around it that an enemy can employ. Plus its expensive.

I'd just field the list and have fun with it.

Offline TheGreatAvatar

• H. A. A. W. G. S.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »
I don't see this being very viable.  You'll generally phase out by turn four since you have absolutely no way to get your Warriors out of close combat.  Your PO number is way too low.  One combat round is all that is needed to phase you out.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
Higher phase count isn't always the best thing to go for. Especially when playing for fun. But even still, I'd argue a high phase count is a two-edged sword, because many times getting this number means you have a lot of models in your army who aren't pulling any weight.

In a lot of larger lists you can still phase a cron player out in few rounds because their phase number is too high. Sound ridiculous? Think about it:

Say you have 3x15 warriors, 3x5 destroyers, and a Lord with an orb somewhere in the heart of the phalanx. Just to get an example of a list with lots of crons [61 here plus whatever else]. That means the enemy has to kill all of your warrior teams, or all of your destroyers and two warrior teams, plus the lord in both cases.

A squad of warriors is pretty easy to catch, since they have short range and have to advance to score in most missions. A squad of warriors receiving a charge does 15 attacks, generally striking last. To give a favourable example, a squad of striking scorpions [10 plus exarch, which costs a fair amount less] slams into them, dishes out 36 attacks, 18 of which hit, 9 of which wound, 3 crons die. The crons strike back, hitting 7.5 times, wounding 5 times, and killing two. Now the scorpion exarch strikes, and kills another 2 crons. Combat one by 3 for the Eldar, without doom, fortune and etc.

Imagine 3 such scorpion units doing this sort of things, you're hoping you pass those tests because otherwise 10 crons get swept from each unit and aren't getting back up no matter what, another 6 need the resorb to do so, and the remainder may not survive/have no one standing to rejoin. That's phase out. With a phase point of 15. You could go higher, but 45 warriors is 910pts. the 15 destroyers are another 450. A lord or two is another 3-400. That's pretty much 2k and the only game you've got by doing it is a shooting match.

I don't think the list posted here is viable for competitive play, but it sure looks like fun and there's several good tactical options available to it. You need to consider the person's playstyle and what they're going for. The scarabs are one of the better choices for the bug-zapper lord since they have so many wounds.