News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons???  (Read 538 times)

Offline k9

Necrons???
« on: September 27, 2007, 09:22:15 AM »
I am new to the game and I have built my first army, ultramarines, and I am ready to start on a new army soon.  I want to field something besides marines and I like the look of the Necrons.

The question I have is what is the general feel of the army in the 40k community.  Is is a respect army, is it challenging to field and win with?  Marines are very strong and considered cheese and it is easy build up and army that can, with the help of the dice lords, walk all over a weaker race. 

I have won several battles with my marines with just dice rolls and less tactics, I want to bring something to the table that when I win with it, I know that I had to work for it. 

I don't like the look of eldar or tau and where I plasy everyone has an imperial guard army, I like the tyranids and the necrons but I want to bring something to the table that has a certian amount of respect with it.

Now I realize fully relize that the game is ballanced by point levels and that any 1000 point or 1500 point game with any armies fighting can go either way, I just don't want to come in and with another simple army that doesn't get respect due to ease of usage.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
Re: Necrons???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »
I would be wary of going with Necrons then. Some people consider them 'Cheesy' despite the army having quite a few serious flaws that make it rather difficult to win sometimes, and they are probably one of the least powerful armies out there at the moment, when played against people who know how to beat them.

On the other hand Crons are rather easy to paint and cheap to collect, if a bit limited for a second force.

Have you considered the upcoming Orks, or Inquisition? Orks get a great new line of models and a new codex in January, while the Inquisition (Daemonhunters/Witchunters) offers a bunch of more challenging units that you can field as a stand alone force, or incorporate into your existing ultramarines army, or vice versa.

Offline tegeus-Cromis

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:19:52 AM »
I concur. If what you want is a more difficult army, then stay away from Necrons. The truth is that while there are, as always, little tricks and tactics that separate excellent Necron players from the merely competent, to achieve basic proficiency with Necrons (as in, winning about half your games) is practically effortless if you have a strong list. Yes, there are limitations that basically screw you over totally against some opponents, but against some others, the army practically plays itself. This isn't an attack on Necron players by any means--I play Eldar, and will readily admit that the same applies to them, and much, much more so for air cav.

For a more challenging army, you might consider Dark Eldar, IG, any flavour of =][=, or any 'nid army that isn't either Godzilla or 'stealer shock.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:21:22 AM by tegeus-Cromis »

Offline k9

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:45:05 PM »
Thanks for the info... but what is =][=?

Offline tegeus-Cromis

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »
Oh, sorry. Inquisition, which, as HpY has mentioned, includes Daemonhunters and Witchunters.