News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Bunker Assault - Defending  (Read 534 times)

Offline LegacysAllure

1850 Bunker Assault - Defending
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:43:35 PM »
Hi all.  I'm scheduled to defend a series of bunkers (bunker assault mission) this weekend at a friendly tournament and find myself at a loss as to what to do.  I'm a competent enough player (or so I think) but being forced into having my toys in reserve always throws me for a loop.

Looking for suggestions on how to streamline the following list a little bit:

Icewind Legion
HQ - 210
Lord (ResOrb, PhaseShifter, Warscythe, Nightmare shroud)

Elite - 216
Pariahs x6

Troops - 1314
Warriors x10 (in bunker)
Warriors x10 (in bunker)
Warriors x20
Warriors x20
Warriors x13

Heavy support - 110
Tomb Spyder x2

1850 on the dot.

The theory behind this list is to start with as many things on the table as possible (hence the rather large number of warriors) and use my reserves as a late-game counter-charge.  The pariahs -should- be safe from too much firepower by being in reserve...even though I know they're less than popular.  Since the enemies (90% marines) have to come to me to claim the bunkers, I thought I'd try the nightmare shroud in combination with the pariahs.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I am an artist...awkward is my medium.

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: 1850 Bunker Assault - Defending
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:25:34 PM »
Hmm...well, here's how I see things. 

I'll give your inclusion of Pariahs a thumbs-up, because I've always liked the concept, and because the scenario you describe actually sounds like it might accentuate their strongpoints.  Conversely, I think that one of their primary functions against a Marine army would be as counter-charge units, given that they are still very resilient to standard attacks, and because on the charge they can kill entire squads before any powerfists are brought to bear(assuming that the squad isn't a full one and has been whittled down some.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still advise caution, but when the Marines come to lock horns, it would be foolish to waste their primary weapons' main strength by ignoring the enemy's power armor.  Understand, I only suggest charging units of seven Marines or fewer, and that's with a full squad.  There's another thing right there: I'd include a full squad of Pariahs; I'd fully commit, given how many Warriors you've chosen to take, giving you a substantial fadeout advantage. 

It is a strange scenario, it's odd seeing how radically conditions can change with a mere twist of objective.  Typically, I'd say that you seriously lack firepower, and would want to soften up the Marines before they reach you in head to head.  However, in this case it would seem that any ranged firepower is only likely to make use of its range for a turn or so before the Marines are already within range. 

Nevertheless, there is still one additional change that I think you should make.  Your Lord is outfitted strangely, and given that you may end up defending a wide expanse(I don't know how the bunkers are set up), it would benefit you to come with two Lords to the table.  I would outfit one for a combat role, as well as to provide an additional Resurrection Orb.  Whichever Lord you decide to give the NightMare Shroud should not be intended for close combat, since it can't be used in melee.  To use them in tandem, it would make sense to give the one Lord a Phase Shifter, Res Orb, Warscythe, Gaze of Flame and Phylactery; while giving the other Res Orb, Nightmare Shroud, and a Destroyer Body so that he could provide NightMare Shroud wherever it was needed, especially if you wish to use it in conjuction with the other Lord's Gaze of Flame.  These are simple tricks though, the primary purpose is to be certain that you always have a Resurrection Orb nearby. 

Offline LegacysAllure

Re: 1850 Bunker Assault - Defending
« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2006, 06:12:24 AM »
Thanks Foxfire.

The way we run the mission (or so I hear) is that the terrain is set up and I'll get to choose my number of bunkers (either 2 or 3) and place them where I choose, so I do get the opportunity to make firing lanes or squish a lot of Necrons into a rather tight area.

I'd like to bump my pariahs up to a full squad, but resources are short and I only have 7 pariahs...still working on that, though.   :-\  Using the pariahs as a strong counter-charge should work, like you say, but I'm always leery of putting them into the fray with people who swing before they do.  Their toughness will help them with that I suppose.

My usual 1850 list includes 16 destroyers (10 regular, 6 heavy), so I understand where you are coming from about the list being deficient in many areas...but since they'd start in reserve, come piecemail, and probably only get one round of shooting at best it just doesn't justify their cost.

As for the Lords, I agree completely...it looks like the Lord doesn't know what to do with the way I have him kitted out.  I took a second look at the mission and the defender is limited to only one HQ choice, meaning either I go with him like he is or I kit him out for "shooting" only.  The way he is I thought I would be able to charge whatever is bothering me if the nightmare shroud doesn't work and make use of his scythe (also why he has the phase shifter).
I am an artist...awkward is my medium.