News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Eldar Codex  (Read 386088 times)

Offline Farseer Chew

• Hi
New Eldar Codex
« on: January 3, 2004, 10:34:15 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone knew when the next eldar codex was coming out and what changes might be made.

NOTE:  For ease of browsing, rumors summaries volunteered by members will be posted here periodically so that users will not have to sift through 300+ pages of rumors that are often obsolete.

Updated version 5.4
As promised this is my compiled list, so enjoy

Got my hands on the Codex, it is laid out like a WHF army codex, the first 20 pages of it was all fluff, with the pages in it as seen in the WD, the next 38 pages of the Codex has a page for each of the units with their Wargear and special abilities as was shone in WD, then 10 pages on the points for the Squads/upgrades/options. And the last 16 pages was a how to paint the army section. In all 84 pages.

Reading through the Codex I should say that it has 53 pages of fluff (lost about 5 pages due to full page pictures). It talks about the fall and then covers the different Eldar factions, and talks a little about their technology and belief's like in prior Codex's. It has a one page description on each of the 5 main craftworlds, covering their views and how they organize to fight (only saw ALtansar listed on a Galaxy list to show where it's located). A lot of it is just rewrites of prior Codex's. Then there is a one page description of each unit (as shone in the WD) talking about their abilities and wargear with a little fluff along with it mostly whats already been told. Then 10 pages of the Army list covering the costs and upgrades for the units.

HQ:   

Avatar: Current stats with a change of +1Int +1A BS5 3+/4++ save.  All Eldar within 12” will gain Fearless. Wailing Doom ranged attack (Melta gun stats). Immune to Flamer an Melta type weapons.

Farseer: They will be T3. Ghosthelm, Shuriken pistol & Witchblade and Rune Armor as standard EQ (Ghosthelm will give a 3+ save against POW, but loses its effects on Daemons) he may upgrade Witchblade to a Singing Spear. He may take a Retinue of 3-10 Warlocks. Fortune (same as now) and Guide(same as now) flip flop costs, Mind war(same as now) but costs more, Eldritchstorm costs less ( same as now and 2d6+3 Pen vs. Vehicles), Doom costs between Fortune and Guide (cast on an enemy non vehicle unit, Rng 24" no Los, May re-roll to wound, effects both shooting and CC lasts till the start of your next turn). They can purchase Physic Wargear from the Armory, and this includes Jetbike. They may Fleet of Foot. States in the Codex that a Farseer is a single HQ choice. May take a WS transport.

Warlocks: A Warlock may be upgraded to a Spiritseer. May Fleet of Foot. Warlocks will now be both a Retinue for the Farseers and as a troop add-on character (this does not take a Warlock from the Farseer Retinue). They will have standard EQ of Rune Armor, Witchblade & Shuriken Pistol but may upgrade Weapons to Singing Spear @ +3 pts (as witchblade, when thrown 12" S-x AP6 A1), and may purchase a Jetbike if in a Jetbike unit. Conceal (same as now) costs less, Destructor(same as now) costs less, Embolden(same as now) costs less, Enhance(same as now) costs same.

Autarch: Cost + gear. May Fleet of Foot. He will be an IC.  He may choose from any basic Aspect gear but none of the Exarch only gear, and he will not have access to Exarch Powers (but may join an Aspect squad that has an Exarch and gain that Squads ability), standard EQ of Shuriken Pistol, Plasma & Haywire grenades and force shield, plus whatever Wargear choice he takes from the armory. His stats are as a Exarch with WS+1 BS+1 W+2 A+1 LD+1 3+/ 4++ save. Path of Command- Master Strategist -He gives a strategy rating of 4, and +1 to reserves rolls, where he is on or off the table. The Autarch will not have the option to take a Retinue. The Autarch Aspect Wargear options will be like this:
    Movement                     Helm                            1 HW                                                 2 HW
     SH Wings                  Banshee mask              Laser Lance (if on Jetbike)                  Avenger Catapult
    WS Jumppack             Mana blaster                 Scorpion Chainsword                        Fusion Gun
    Eldar Jet Bike                                                  Power Weapon                               Reaper Launcher
       Or on foot                                                                                                               Las Blaster
                                                                                                                                     Death Spinner

Troops:

Dire Avengers: Troop choice, squad size 5-10, may upgrade one to an Exarch. Cost same. May Fleet of Foot. Avenger Catapult 18” Range. No grenade option. Exarch powers: Blade Storm (Squad: +1 shot, but cannot fire next turn), Defend (Squad: any attacking squad -1A to min of 1 in each combat phase). Exarch weapons combinations: Avenger Catapult, Power weapon & Shimmershield (gives squad a 5+ Inv. save while in CC), Diresword & Shuriken Pistol, or 2 Forearm mounted Avenger catapults(Assault 4 not TL). May take a WS transport.

Rangers: Troop choice, squad size 5-10, costs same. No grenade option, but 5+armor. May Fleet of Foot. They will have Infiltrate/move through cover/stealth USR. They will be able to upgrade to Pathfinders  at a cost, which will give them Scout USR ability, ignore difficult terrain, an on a to hit roll of 5+ =AP1, and to increase their Cover save to +2.

Guardians: Troop choice. Squad size 10-20 (21 including Warlock), same costs, May Fleet of Foot, you must take a heavy weapon platform the two crewmembers come from the squad (can only take one weapon platform); you may exchange their catapults for Shuriken Pistol & CCW to make Storm Guardians and then enstead of a HW platform they have the option for two special weapons (FusionGun or Flamer) upgrades (no grenade options). You can have a Warlock join the unit. HW platform does not count as taking up model slots in transports. May take an WS transport if 12 models or less.

Guardian Jetbike: Troop choice, reduced pts, squad size 3-12, no stat change, no grenade options. You can have a Warlock join the unit. Limited to 1 Shuriken Cannon per 3 upgrade.

Transport Waveserpent: Still has Energy fields as now, and we will have to pay for the type of weapon turret you want costs a little more, may upgrade TL catapults to Cannon. Is able to hold 12 models. BS3. May not take Holo-field vehicle upgrade.

Elites:

Wraithguard: Elite choice (may take as Troop choice if squad of 10 with Spiritseer), Squad size 3-10, same costs, A squad of 5 with an Spiritseer may be mounted in a WS. They can have a Warlock/Spiritseer join the squad. They are affected by Wraithsight (A Warlock/Farseer may negate Wraithsight if within 6", or a Spiritseer if within 12"). Will be T6 now no other changes to stats, Wraith cannon will wound on a 2+ AP2, instant death on a roll of 6, and vs. vehicles it will glance on a 3-4 and penetrate on a 5-6. No grenade option.

Striking Scorpions: Elite choice, Squad size 5-10, May upgrade one to Exarch. cost same. Squad is S3 but Scorpion Chainsword gives +1 to Str. Manablasters are changing to +1A, gaining Plasma Grenades as standard EQ. Exarch powers: Stalker(Squad: move through cover USR), Shadow Strike(Squad Infiltrate USR). Exarch weapons: Scorpion Chainsword & Pistol, Biting Blade (Two handed CCW gives +1S and for each successful to hit you add +1S to your to wound, not a PW) & pistol, Scorpion Claw (Str6 PF) & Scorpion Chainsword, Chainsabres (paired Chainswords with fist mounted Shuriken pistols, re-roll to hits and to wound). May take a WS transport.

Fire Dragons: Elite choice, Squad size 5-10, May upgrade one to Exarch. May Fleet of Foot. Fusion Guns (Melta gun stats) & Melta bombs. May Fleet of Foot. Exarch powers: Tank Hunter (squad: Tank Hunter USR), Crack Shot (Exarch only). Exarch Weapons: Fusion Gun, Firepike (18" Melta gun), Dragons Breath (Heavy Flamer). May take a WS Transport.

Howling Banshees: Elite choice, Squad size 5-10, May upgrade one to Exarch. Same cost. May Fleet of Foot. Banshee mask will give Int10 and will negate opponents cover and grenade abilities in the first round of combat. No grenade option. Exarch power: Acrobatics (squad counter charge USR), War Shout (Opponents take a moral test if failed opponents become WS1 for the first Assault phase). Exarch weapons: Power Weapon & Pistol, Executioner & pistol, Mirror Blades (paired power weapons +2A). Triskele & shuriken Pistol (web of skulls type weapon 12" S3 AP2 A3). May take a WS transport.

Harlequins: Elite choice. WS5 BS4 S3 T3 W1 A2 I6 Ld9 Sv 5++, units size 5-10. Fleet of Foot, Shuriken pistol &CCW as standard EQ, Dance of Death(Furious Charge USR, Hit and Run USR). Harlequins still have flip belts which allow them to ignore difficult terrain tests. Holo-fields give 5++save. They may choose to upgrade CC weapons to the Harlequin Kiss per model (rending CC weapon) and 2 squad members can upgrade their pistols to Fusion pistol(6" Melta gun). They can upgrade one Squad member to a Shadow seer, Shadow seer will have “Veil of Tears” Physic power (use night fight rules but at 2d6X2 Rng) he will have Hallucinogen/Plasma grenades and allows the squad that he’s with to gain them also. Upgrade one member to a Troupe Master (Power Weapon or Harlequin Kiss free upgrade and +1A +1LD). Upgrade one member to a Death Jester, The Death Jester exchanges his weapons for a Shreiker Cannon (same stats as Shuriken Cannon and gains pinning). Rumor that they are metal models not plastic.

Fast Attack:

Shining Spears: Fast Attack choice, may upgrade one to be an Exarch. Unit size 3-5. Reduction of cost. Exarch Powers: Withdraw (squad hit and run USR), Expert Rider USR(squad). They are changing the Laser Lance, it can make an 6" S6 AP4 A1/Lance shot and then count as a S6 Power Weapons on the charge, they then revert to S3 CCW in the following rounds of CC. No grenade option. Exarch may upgrade TL Catapults to a Shuriken Cannon. Exarch weapons: Laser Lance, Power weapon, or Star Lance a S8 version of the Laser Lance.

Warp Spiders: Fast Attack choice, Squad size 5-10, may upgrade one to be an Exarch. same costs. No grenade option. Exarch Powers: Surprise Assault (squad always deep strike like terminators), Withdraw (squad hit and run USR). Death Spinner (12" S6 AP- A2). Exarch weapon options: Powerblades, Twin Death Spinner (Assault4). Spinneret Rifle (18" S6 AP1 A1 Pinning).

Swooping Hawks: Fast Attack choice, Squad size 5-10, may upgrade one to be an Exarch. same costs. They have their normal grenades plus gaining Haywire Grenades as standard EQ. They can still drop pie plate when deep striking. Exarch powers: Intercept (squad: gives ability to hit Vehicles in CC on a 4+ even against skimmers), and Skyleap (squad: in your movement phase you may choose to leave the table and go into reserves even if you where in CC, opponent may only 3" consolidate move, then next turn you roll your reserve roll to bring them back in the next movement phase). Exarch weapons: Lasblaster, power weapon & pistol, Hawks talon (24" S5 AP5 A3), Sunrifle (24" S3 AP5 A6 pinning).

Vyper: Reduction in cost and is counted as being open topped still. Will still have TL catapults (may upgrade to Shuriken Cannon), but will have to pay for the heavy weapons turret option and vehicle upgrades. BS3.

Heavy Support:

Support Weapons: 1-3 weapons platforms per choice
D-cannons – same cost, will now be a G24” small blast versions of the Wraith cannon. It will affect Vehicles the same even if any part of the template touches them now. Instant kill on a to wound roll of 6.
Vibro Cannons – cost less, You are allowed to Roll to hit for each cannon, then pick which cannon you are firing from, then draw a 36" straight line  no LOS and any units under that line are hit with d6 hits (S4+1 for each additional cannon that hits), vehicles are hit with one automatic glancing hit.
Shadow Weaver – cost less. No changes otherwise.
May add a Warlock to the unit.

Dark Reapers: Heavy Support choice, may upgrade one of them to be an Exarch. Squad size 3-5, gain back 3+ armor save. Not much else for the squad. No grenade. Exarch weapons: Reaperlauncher, Shuriken Cannon, Missile Launcher, Tempest Launcher (G36" S4 AP3 H2 blast). Exarch powers(self only): Crack Shot and Fast Shot as they are now. May take a WS transport.

Wraith Lord: Heavy Support only. Cost more + weapons. You will have 2 light weapons(Flamer/catapult) and 1to2 heavy weapons, requirement of 1 HW still, weapons cost a little more (if you take two of the same type of weapon it will count as TL). Str10 standard (monstrous creature). Wraithsword upgrade(is a type of spirit weapon) which can re-roll to hits in CC. He will be affected by Wraithsight, he will need to be within 6" of a Warlock/Farseer or 12" of a Spiritseer to act normal.

Falcon: cost same as prism +weapon +upgrades. Pulse Laser is changing from H1d3 shots to H2 (no more random amount of shot weapons). BS3. May carry 6 models, states that it may not carry a Wraithguard unit.

Fire Prism: cost same +upgrades. Changing the Fire Prism weapon to be a duel propose weapon, Anti-tank mode Rng 60” S9 AP2 Small Blast, Anti-infantry mode S5 AP4 Large Blast. If you take a second Fire Prism and its in LOS of the other you can decide to boost the first one, Anti-tank mode Rng 60” S10 AP1 Small blast Twin linked, Anti-infantry mode S6 AP3 large blast twin linked. It is said that you can add a third Prism to make the Anti-Infantry mode S7 AP2 LrgBlast TL. BS4 as standard now.

War walkers: Heavy Support, costs same + weapons. No force field, is count as being closed topped. They are gaining scout USR ability. There was no rule that if two of same kind weapon thats it is counted as TL. Spirit stone is only vehicle upgrade. Still BS3.

Heavy Weapons: (this is the listed price for the vehicle HW not the Platforms)

Shuriken Cannon:         as it is now but       A3         
Scatter Laser:                as it is now but       H4       
Eldar Missile Launcher:  Same stat line as it is         
Bright Lance:                as it is now                           
Starcannon:                   as it is now but       H2         
Pulse Laser:                  as it is now but       H2
Fire Prism:                   As in its Vehicle description

Special Characters: (that are in the book, may take as a HQ option)

Eldrad Ulthran – Farseer of Ulthwe. T+1. All the Farseer Wargear and 3++ Rune Armor. Will have all 5 Farseer Powers & Ability Divination -Will be able to redeploy d3+1 units before the start of the game once setup is completed (Not just move them 6" now). Staff Still has the same effect as before.

Prince Yrial – Autarch of Iyandan, +1I +1A. Force Field, Plasma Grenade. Special Weapon: Cursed spear of Twighlight (Singing spear type Power weapon, has an effect in last turn, making him have to make a Inv save or die), Eye of Wrath (S6 AP3 Lrg Blast centered from character, use once per game).

Phoenix Lords – Their stats are WS+1 BS+2 A+1 2+save to what is listed for them now. Ability Disciples- (A squad of their shrine that they join gains Fearless and their abilities). PL's protected from insta-kill by a special rule "Eternal Warrior". May Fleet of Foot.
Karandras- Weapons -Scorpion Bite (Manablasters +2A), Scorpion Chainsword, Scorpion Claw, Plasma Grenades    Powers: Stalker, Shadow Strike, Stealth USR(can effect squad)
Maugan Ra- Weapons- Maugetar (36" S6 AP5 A4 Rending/Pinning)    Powers: Crack Shot(self), Fast Shot(self), Acute Senses USR(can effect squad)
Jain Zar- Banshee Mask   Weapons- Executioner, Silent Death(S5 Ap2 A3)     Powers: Acrobatics(squad), Warshout(squad), Furious Charge USR(self only)
Baharroth- Swooping Hawk wings, Grenade packs, Plasma & haywire Grenades, Hawks Talon, Power Weapon     Powers: Skyleap(Squad), Intercept(squad), Hit an Run USR(can effect squad)
Fuegan- Weapons- Firepike, Fire Axe(Str+1 Pw & vs. Vehicels Str+2d6 Pen), Melta Bombs     Powers: Tank Hunter(squad), Crack Shot(self), Feel no Pain USR(self)
Asurmen- Weapons: Avenger Gauntlets, Sword of Asur(Diresword with re-rolls to hits)     Powers: Blade Storm(squad), Defend(squad), Battle Fate(self 4++ save)

Wargear & Upgrades:

Physic Wargear:
Rune of Warding: Costs a little more, will make an opponents physic roll 3d6 and total them together with any total 12+ causing an POW test to them this ability has no range limit.
Spirit stone: reduced almost 1/2 the cost, abilities same as now
Rune of Witnessing: costs more now, abilities same as now

Vehicle Upgrades:
Spirit Stone: same cost, is changing to same as Extra armor (reduces Crew stunned to shaken result)
Vectored Engines: costs more, changing to make fast vehicles traveling more then 6" count as moving as less then 6" so that they just settle to the ground.
Star Engines: costs more, will have a fixed distance of 12".
Holo-field: costs more, stats will stay the same
CTM is not in the new Codex.
Scythes is not in Codex
No new Vehicle upgrades

This is all I'm allowed to give, the point costs I've been told not to post. And if I post everything in the Codex, no one will buy it 

PS. I repost this posting when it starts to fall behind in the thread and as I update it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:12:19 PM by Mr.Peanut »

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: New Eldar Codex
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2004, 10:46:28 AM »
Most rumor estimate 2005.

No one knows what changes will be made because GW has not started work on it yet.  They very likely will not until after 4th Edition and Witchhunters have been released.  Most rumors put at least two more codices after these, so it eill probabaly be serveral months to a year before GW even begins work on the next Eldar codex.

GW does not hide what they are doing.  When they begin working on Eldar there will be all kinds of hype and sneak peaks in White Dwarf.
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2004, 11:19:45 AM »
http://www.40k.ca/community/index.php?topic=56746

Feel free to read other posts in the same section on the same page before posting. This was discussed not 10 posts below the top of the page.

Sure, it's not a "When will it be released" post, but it IS an "Eldar Codex" post, which is bound to have the latest rumours in it (Despite the original poster's naive belief that what he was told was undeniably correct and we should believe him too...)
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2004, 11:41:11 AM »
I'm thinking one of these threads should be stickied, maybe this one, then we don't have to wade through repeated posts asking the same question and giving the same answer... no offense Farseer Chew!  Cheers!

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline UthweMan

• Newest
  • OH YEAH
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 08:06:01 PM »
They need to make the AVATAR the way it was,
a GOD!!

Offline FindMurderHide

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 04:28:18 AM »
The Avatar is one of the things that is least likely to change overall in the new codex.  They may look at making the Wailing Doom do something, but for its points its an effective unit.
Aside from that, the Avatar is not a god.  Its a tiny fragment of a warp entity manifested in the material universe, sustanined and summoned by the blood of its kin.
Its more a greater demon than a god.
I'd like to see the units which don't match their fluff tweaked.  The Avatar is one of the H2H killers in the game, and has the WS to outclass anything else barring a Bloodthirster (appropriately).
The Shining Spears are a good example of a unit that is muddle of Close Combat fluff and Tank Hunting uses.
There is one potential that no one seems to ahve brought up.
We alredy have Codex: CWE, maybe they will do a proper Codex: Eldar, including Harlequins and Exodites as well, it would be kind of in line with their new Doctrines type Codices.
Taking Harlis as part of an Eldar force, not that brings back memories of 2nd edition.
An explanation and clarification of the Eldar associations diagram in the codex would be cool as well.  Maybe with more fullf and updated history since Eldrad has perished.
In terms of rules, its likely to be a minor tweak if anything, for the most part the rules work, and once people know what they are doing the Eldar are a force to be feared.
But Exodites included again would be cool - I want my dragon riders back..

Offline lonak

• Surrender while you can.
  • Armies: Eldars, Salamanders
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 07:53:57 AM »
yeah the SMurfs have so much codexes, fluff, and all that things  :'(
why can the eldars (or any others races such as orks, the 2nd most important race in the 40k universe) have better codexes, with all the background respected (harlies and exodites must be on my desktop again !)...
Eldars: 3000+
Salamanders: 750

I am the lost prophet, even my will is facing the death. I hope the Laughing God will protect my soul one day...

Offline shinzon

• Newest
  • Remember to clean your White Hand of Saruman
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 12:35:20 PM »
can i just say that the avatar is better known as a fragment of a god.

harlies and exodites would be cool and it is not unkown for eldar forces to group up. 8)
The squirrel, standing atop a mountain shook his flute in defiance, only to realise that much of his pipe weed has fallen to the bottom. For hours he cursed "You TNUC, I'LL RIP YOUR NIPPLES OFF!"

And thats about it really.

Ay Keeky, Keeky La More?  why you do this to me?
Whadya mean?
You ruina my pimpin businnes, why?
I canna take it any more, working in Beccles is too much!

Offline Illean

• Oh yes... another goth playing eldar...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 06:09:26 AM »
i've heard rumors that the avatar will indeed be stronger, but will only be avaiable as special charakter!

to give the "fighter-HQ" back they think of letting exarchs (powered up) lead the army... horray finally a HQ which may have an E-Weap :P
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that god has a sick sense of humor and when I die I expect to find him laughing....

Offline Permeus

• You won’t see me coming!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 08:35:39 PM »
Ok I only started an Eldar army about a mouth ago and I think the Avatar is crap it has no rang attack so that means close combat which also means its going to have to get at the other army and with it not able to Fleet Of Foot or be stuck in a transport the other guy just has to stand back and blow it away. I mean give the guy a chance he comes back from getting smashed apart only to get blown apart. In my opinion the Avatar should beefed up I four one would not mind paying up to 3X the points for a unit that can stand toe to toe with a Bloodthirster or any other Grater Daemon for that mater

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 08:55:49 PM »
Ok I only started an Eldar army about a mouth ago and I think the Avatar is crap it has no rang attack so that means close combat which also means its going to have to get at the other army and with it not able to Fleet Of Foot or be stuck in a transport the other guy just has to stand back and blow it away. I mean give the guy a chance he comes back from getting smashed apart only to get blown apart.

You really need to re-read the rules for targeting independant characters: BBB, page 75, Shooting at and by Characters

Offline Fable

• Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
    • The Ever War
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »
I recently sent in my Player's Eldar Codex that I was working on to GW Games Developement and did get feedback from them.

They indicated that currently they are not planning any changes to the Current Eldar side lists nor codex, nor do they expect this to happen in the forseeable future.

However they also thanked me for my submitions and told me that out of the changes I made, the two they liked most were 1) the Avatar, as they feel that currently the Avatar is underpowered, and 2) The Craftworld Traits system I devised (which is something akin to the IG doctrines system).

This reply is on GW letterhead and signed.
Why Kate, You're not wearin' a bussell.  How lewd.

Offline Permeus

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2004, 07:42:17 PM »
To Fable what where the changes you submitted for the Avatar

Offline Fable

• Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
    • The Ever War
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2004, 08:16:37 PM »
To avoid any possible problems with GW this is what I added....

I made him a special character

+2 Str
+1 W
+2 I
+2 A
Sv 3+
+1 to Inv save

Khaine's Fury: The Avatar receives +D3 Bonus attacks on the charge instead of +1.
Smoldering Presence: The Avatar is a hulking daemonic entity that draws the attention of the enemy despite whatever threats may be present on the battlefield.  The Avatar may always be targeted as a separate unit for shooting purposes.
Molten Armor: The Avatar’s body is made of metal with molten blood, and covered with Wraithbone Runes; to represent this has a 3+ save or a 4+ Invulnerable save.

The Avatar may FOF.

and I added to the Daemon rule: The Avatar does not suffer from instability.  The Avatar is not considered an Eldar Psyker. 

and to the Wailing Doom I added: Any Unit that suffers a wound from the W.D. have a –2 penalty to LD in addition to any other LD modifiers (from being outnumbered, etc.) when testing to see if they fall back in H2H combat.

I also added 170 pts to the cost he carries now and all other special rules he presently carries he still does.

By no means would I assume any of this would be used by GW but the fact that they mentioned they felt he was underpowered is a good sign that he will be drastically different from his current form.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 08:18:53 PM by Fable »
Why Kate, You're not wearin' a bussell.  How lewd.

Offline Permeus

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2004, 07:48:41 PM »
That's some nice work on the Avatar but I still think that he needs a range attack throwing his sword (12")or shooting his blood at a unit (flame template)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 07:51:13 PM by permeus »

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2004, 05:41:55 AM »
Would be cool if these changes come in..if the guy is telling the truth

Rumours here

Edit: Link too long. Fixed now. Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 06:23:00 AM by Rasmus »

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »
Would be cool if these changes come in..if the guy is telling the truth

Rumours here

Edit: Link too long. Fixed now. Have a nice day.

That was proven to be false last year.  No one knows what will appear in the next Eldar codex because GW has not started to work on it yet.

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 11:50:17 AM »
Ok I only started an Eldar army about a mouth ago and I think the Avatar is crap it has no rang attack so that means close combat which also means its going to have to get at the other army and with it not able to Fleet Of Foot or be stuck in a transport the other guy just has to stand back and blow it away. I mean give the guy a chance he comes back from getting smashed apart only to get blown apart.

You really need to re-read the rules for targeting independant characters: BBB, page 75, Shooting at and by Characters

the avatar is monstrous and also over twice the size of any eldar (except maybe wraithguard) so may be targeted no matter who he stands near (apart from above mentioned wraithguard and also wraithlords).
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline Ral Caladan

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 12:52:13 PM »

the avatar is monstrous and also over twice the size of any eldar (except maybe wraithguard) so may be targeted no matter who he stands near (apart from above mentioned wraithguard and also wraithlords).

Knowing GW and their desire to use similar rules, maybe they'll give the Avatar "Above all Others" like the C'Tan (that is the targetting one, right?)

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »

The avatar is an independent character. You should read the BBB, page 75, Shooting at and by Characters.He follows normal rules. The ability to be shot at normally is stated in the profiles of certain units-C'Tan, Hive Tyrants, Greater Daemons etc. Being a monstrous creature has nothing to do with being able to be shot at, it's just that these models are really powerful, so GW have specifically stated in there profiles that the rules related to shooting at characters has been waived.
No such rule exists for the avatar